New text limits for Signatures discussion

Does the text size matter?

That's actually a good question. I use smaller font than the norm in my sigs, and some others might see this as an opportunity to blow their text to God knows how big; the question/remark then becomes: What's the stance on that, or will the rules be updated to reflect that?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Does the text size matter?

That's actually a good question. I use smaller font than the norm in my sigs, and some others might see this as an opportunity to blow their text to God knows how big; the question/remark then becomes: What's the stance on that, or will the rules be updated to reflect that?

If your font size is "normal" or smaller, then the four line rule still applies. Any LARGER text will be up to the moderators' discretion. So if someone has less than four lines of huge text in their signature, but it's still obviously too big, it will be removed.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm not sure I see the point in this, really. I haven't seen cases when people just have walls of text in their signatures.

I think its just like the images sizes, most wall of text sigs are already dealt with by mods, but there wasn't a solid rule in place for them to follow. (i think)

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm not sure I see the point in this, really. I haven't seen cases when people just have walls of text in their signatures.

We have always removed signatures with too much text. The problem was that we never had guidelines for when a signature has too much text and when it's okay. So we never had a "line." One signature would be removed by one moderator but another signature of almost equal size would not be removed. People started complaining and saying that we were being unfair or biased or whatever. So from a moderator standpoint, to ensure 100% consistency, it was important for us to come up with rules that we could easily follow.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

So mine's still okay, right?

1 line for stats sig.

4 lines for random goals, hidden.

Just to make sure..

Yeah, I think so. :|

Okay, thanks. :P

Hang on a sec...

I was almost 100% certain all images much be 200 x 450px or less, whether in hide tags or not.

So how come Jaffy's signature is still ok?

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

So mine's still okay, right?

1 line for stats sig.

4 lines for random goals, hidden.

Just to make sure..

Yeah, I think so. :|

Okay, thanks. :P

Hang on a sec...

I was almost 100% certain all images much be 200 x 450px or less, whether in hide tags or not.

So how come Jaffy's signature is still ok?

He has changed his signature since he first posted ;)

Posted Image

...Then why is it still as it is?

BTW, who is it that deals with Signature/Avatar violations? - can all mods altar them if they break the limits, or just admins?

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

...Then why is it still as it is?

BTW, who is it that deals with Signature/Avatar violations? - can all mods altar them if they break the limits, or just admins?

Administrators and Supermoderators have the power to edit signatures, but moderators work together to highlight signatures/avatars that violate the rules, which makes our editing easier. :thumbup:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Is my signature okay? I have my 99s in a hide because I'm going to have more than 4 soon, and I have one line outside of it, just for Farrah Fawcett, Mj, and Billy Mays, and I'll remove that soon, but just to be sure I don't want all my 99 dates and #s to be erased :?

[hide=99s]47,297th to 99 Attack, 12/10/08
47,898th to 99 Hitpoints, 3/29/09
78,286th to 99 Strength, 4/5/09
36,125th to 99 Range, 6/7/09, 12:30 in the morning.
70,280th to 99 Defence, 4/16/10
67,781st to 99 Magic, 8/13/10
Somethingth to 99 Slayer on some day during the Summer (I forgot to write it down)
169,099th to 99 Cooking , 4/9/11
Idk what to 99 fm at some point
Idk what to 99 prayer on 1/28/2012

?? 99 thieving 12/30/2015

?? 99 herblore 1/2/2016, ?? 99 dungeoneering 9/5/2016[/hide]

s2k10n.png

Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward-ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter-maybe less than a lot, but always more than none.

-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

I am so confused right now because a mod told me there's a limit to picture size, and that it doesn't matter whether or not they're hidden...

Then how can this apply:

"It doesn't matter how many or how big the images in the signature are - if you have an image then you will only be allowed 4 lines of text (Or 10 if you put them inside of hide tags)." =S

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I am so confused right now because a mod told me there's a limit to picture size, and that it doesn't matter whether or not they're hidden...

Then how can this apply:

"It doesn't matter how many or how big the images in the signature are - if you have an image then you will only be allowed 4 lines of text (Or 10 if you put them inside of hide tags)." =S

Well, you do have three images in your signature at the moment, so it might have something to do with converting the extra two images into applicable text lines which would exceed limits.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Well, you do have three images in your signature at the moment, so it might have something to do with converting the extra two images into applicable text lines which would exceed limits.

I have 2 lines for stats and goal, and 2 lines hidden (colour and link). So that should be okay than, with the line thing?

Then what about the pixel limit thing, as it was stated that the size did not matter?

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

I have 2 lines for stats and goal, and 2 lines hidden (colour and link). So that should be okay than, with the line thing?

Then what about the pixel limit thing, as it was stated that the size did not matter?

I don't know about the pixel limit, but if you convert the goal pic you have to lines, that would probably count as two. Then there's the color thing that looks more like four lines by itself, plus more text.

If I were you (which I am not), I'd get rid of the color picture and put the goal in the hide tag where you could tell better whether or not you have exceeded the limit for a picture plus text (hidden or unhidden). Two pictures unhidden probably isn't a good start, but again, I'm not crew, nor a moderator, but I would think you'd be safer that way.

If I WERE a moderator, I'd limit people to one picture that fits the limits of the current stats dynamic signature picture that could be unhidden and one more of equal size that could be hidden OR 10 lines of text unhidden and ten lines of text hidden (or a combination of the two). I am not, so the current limits exist.

[hide=My Stats]Attack:86/Hitpoints:88/Mining:74

Strength:86/Agility:76/Smithing:75

Defence:86/Herblore:74/Fishing:78

Ranged:86/Thieving:73/Cooking:92

Prayer:78/Crafting:82/Firemaking:86

Magic:85/Fletching:77/Woodcutting:88

Runecraft:71/Slayer:80/Farming:88

Construction:70/Hunter:70/Summoning:69

Dungeoneering:18

Total level: 1936

295/303 Quest Points

Combat Level: 117[/hide]

[hide=Interesting Links]My Blog

SportsGuy's Short Guide to Ghostly Warriors

Familiarisation Reward Research[/hide]

Is my signature okay? I have my 99s in a hide because I'm going to have more than 4 soon, and I have one line outside of it, just for Farrah Fawcett, Mj, and Billy Mays, and I'll remove that soon, but just to be sure I don't want all my 99 dates and #s to be erased :?

I think it looks fine :) Not that it's necessarily going to be removed, but you should ALWAYS back up your signature on your computer anyway, especially if it contains valuable information/dates/numbers/etc. Your signature may be removed if you ever accidently exceed the limits (although it looks fine now) or there could be a glitch on the forum and you could lose your signature. So just in case, you should always back it up :)

Then how can this apply:

There is in fact a limit to picture size. The comment: "It doesn't matter how many or how big the images in the signature are" didn't mean that you can have images of any size. It just meant that no matter how big your images are (as long as they're within the limits), the rules for text remain the same. So if you have an image with a height of 50 pixels, you still can only have 4 lines of unhidden text or 10 hidden lines of text. And if you have an image with a height of 200 pixels (which is the max), you can still only have 4 lines of unhidden text or 10 hidden lines of text.

But all of the images in your signature combined (both in and out of hide tags) may not exceed 450x200 pixels. Does that make sense?

Posted Image

Yes, thank you. :D

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

[/hide]

why cant I post any new pictures into my signature? :cry:

I wanted to swap from my MJ tribute one to my old one but I keep getting the image code in text format

Make sure your bbcode is correct, you may have forgotten a "/" or a "[". Also, check the url to make sure it's the actual image.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti