Tip.it Times: 28 June 2009

Mirror

@OfficialJagex: The new Tip.It Times is out! http://[Censored - Don't use a URL shortner]/GrUMR for the latest of one of the longest running and widest read #runescape fan editorials. Ajd

\'

Win :thumbup:

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

-Skilling Heights

Was a realy good read. Very interesting and well written. :)

kirderf123.png

99 Woodcutting 09/12/08 - 99 Cooking 13/01/09 - 99 Fletching 20/04/09 - 2,713th to 99 Construction 14/09/09

[hide=Quote]

New summon monster. You get 99 summon and complete a hard quest to gain the ability to summon Jesus, who splits the waters allowing you to walk to a new port town where you unlock the sailing skill. Obviously ;)

That was Moses you idiot.

That gets fixed in the bugfix the following week. Maybe.

[/hide]

The Big Tease:

I agree, it's about time to take members-only content out of F2P. I wonder how far they'll go though....turn the Tzhaar entrance into a huge rock? Make the infamous Falador members gate just part of the wall? Etc etc.

I have to say, P2P adverts on F2P seems to have been most active last year....I think the chocatrice familiar was last year? Although, I think that was in part due to the people who left over the wilderness removal.

Skilling heights:

It paints a depressing picture, but one that isn't necessarily true. Smithing and mining for instance, could be updated to include smithing certain dragon items. Or Jagex could follow the trend of the dragon plate, and make more high level armour that involves monster drops and skilling. Prayer could still use more mage/ranged prayers. Certain skills could still use potions; not every skill has a skill boost other then evil stews, and those are a pain. Slayer and magic staffs; perhaps a new magic staff for a new magic spell? One that does over 30 damage?

Or again, minigames is a good one; when SC came out, it became very desirable to get many stats to 80. Further minigames could keep working on it.

Just Let Me Play: Makes me think of all the people who think I should get another cape then skilling. I actually kind of want a magic cape, but that's partly because magic maxes out at what, 96? Not too too far from 99.

Also makes me think of my disgust/rant about skillcapes; more specifically, how they cause people to spend a few million gold pieces and many many hours of boredom just for a stinking cape that they get because they feel like a noob without a 99;a cape that many people will look down on because everyone else is getting that 99 as well....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

@The Big Tease

I think the firemaking skill can be more useful than it is at th moment it also caps at lvl80, and also needs a new name and the skill need more interaction with other skill to make better to train to 99 ( i did not say easier to train )

At the moment firemaking is a useless skill that waist time and gold pieces to get to 99 with nearly no benefit to the player except for quest requirements and that is lvl 51.

I believe that given the right make over that firemaking will and can be a better skill if not one of the best that players will want to train

At the moment firemaking is a useless skill that waist time and gold pieces to get to 99 with nearly no benefit to the player except for quest requirements and that is lvl 51.

How about the Inferno Adze? It's pretty usefull and has a 92 requirement.

But I do agree with you that Fm needs more attention.

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

Stupid article, of course JaGeX teases non-members into becoming members. They are A BUSINESS.

Does that make this a stupid article? :?

As stated in the article;

Theyve teased the non-members for years and are now pulling back.
If they would be so fixed on getting new members, Then why are they pulling back?

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

How about the Inferno Adze? It's pretty usefull and has a 92 requirement.

But I do agree with you that Fm needs more attention.

Thanks for reminding me of that good mini game with good rewards we need lots more off that to make firemaking a more useful skill.

Just Let Me Play:

YES PLEASE. -.- seriously, I'm getting a little sick of the whole 99 thing. And strength. Strength is overrated and wayyy too many people have it as a 99.

Oh! And high level bloody EXPENSIVE weapons. And how you're pretty much considered 'poor' if you have less than 25m when 90+ combat and a member. Leave me alone and let me do my own thing, dammit!

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

Just Let Me Play:

YES PLEASE. -.- seriously, I'm getting a little sick of the whole 99 thing. And strength. Strength is overrated and wayyy too many people have it as a 99.

Oh! And high level bloody EXPENSIVE weapons. And how you're pretty much considered 'poor' if you have less than 25m when 90+ combat and a member. Leave me alone and let me do my own thing, dammit!

I concur.

Big_Stingman.png

Great articles all around :thumbsup: !!

A slight off topic.. With the new format of several articles a week, why are they still mostly limited to articles from tip it staff, and player submissions are only rarely displayed? I for one love reading letters, and would love to have 5-6 to read instead of 3-4 ::'

Anywho, I wanted to respond quickly (or not :oops: ) to the Skilling Heights article.

Several things...

Theres no room in the Smithing skill for a new type of metal, so whatever it is that would be mined would most likely have to be used in another skill, but which? Something for Player-Owned Houses? I just cant think of a single skill that would benefit from a new kind of rock.

As someone else said, high level content is usually something different, and in this case there are a great many ways mining could work well with the construction skill. First off.. I would love to be able to mine marble, or a new type of pliable gold (for gold leaf), but if Jagex still wants to keep their ridiculous prices in order to "fix the economy" then we could have new things.. For example white gold.. As a fancy replacement for normal gold leaf, or other precious metals to customize our houses with.

Also...

The only skills which can get away with high-level updates are Agility and Thieving, both of which are independent skills. Every other skill in the game, in one way or another, affects another aspect of the game in some way. The only way we are likely to start seeing a lot more high-level updates is going to be the release of a new skill.

You missed a couple... But I'm going to concentrate on (you guessed it, sorry for ranting on folks..) Construction! Yes I know construction has a bunch of high level things already, but by my calculations... the only time construction ever really had an update was most recent construction update was when they introduced the Wintumber tree... Big woop :wall:

The thing I think is missing most in it is the ability to decorate your house the way you choose... Right now you can choose between normal cheap ugly stuff.. or fancy expesive (sometimes pretty) stuff. I think that there are many ways that you could add new high level content just within the bounds of helping the construction skill.

Once again folks, I apologize for going on with this, but I think there are many ways we can make skills better.. Just by thinking outside the box (preferably starting with construction of course :lol: )

Y2k949sSiggy.jpg

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

I should probably change my signature...

Meh, tommorrow....

Amberite, a new rock that you can make clasps out of, to attach to your armour/weapons giving you skill boosts. But which skill requires either a high level magic spell, or a herblore potion to "direct" the clasps to a chosen skill.

Or alternatively instead of special attacks with weapons have "special defences" with armour...

Proud owner of Questcape since 4th July 2009!! :D :D

sphinxor_86.png

In response to the article about further high level content:

I think content is limited only by our imaginations. Think about how the "skills" in RS are used IRL. Mining isn't just used to gather resources, it is used to make underground structures, to dig tunnels etc. High lvl miners could create shortcuts at Jagex specified points across RS, shortcuts that could require high construction (for making the props and beams etc), high smithing (also for props and beams, but also equipment manufacture etc), and high agility to use. High mining could allow you to add more rooms in your POH than your construction lvl allows, providing those rooms are underground only.

Herblore doesn't just have to be about potions, herblore is to some extent like chemistry, and chemistry isn't just about drugs (i.e. "potions" that have a biological effect). We could make explosives (we can already, but think greater variety and the uses with the mining suggestion above), we could make treatments to protect armour from corrosion (the Barrows armour already degrades, making more armour in RS gradually degrading would be a simple thing, annoying perhaps but easy! This also relates to the repair element of the smithing skill), we could make new materials (jointly with mining, magic and smithing perhaps) like "super rune" etc that could have fractionally better stats than current materials. We could make armour eating acid bombs for rangers, teflon like clothing for thieves to evade stunning in (although we sort of have this), we could even tan our own hides.

A joint summoning/hunter/farming/construction update could be animal husbandry. You can keep cows for hides etc, perhaps even a field of "tame" dragons at 99 in all relevant skills! Imagine having your own chicken hutch for feather supplies, pigs for the high lvl cooking, all new, super food "Bacon Sandwich", and a whole host of similar things all attachable to your POH.

With fletching, construction and crafting you have a "carving" composite skill. Add prayer or magic to this and you could carve and enchant/bless idols, charms and fetishes (look the word up, I'm being clean!). Fear idols that scare pvp people (reducing their stats slightly) or monsters (like the howl effect of the spirit wolf), blessed nature charms that increase farming yields (like the magic secateurs and some familiars) etc. These could be different ways of doing already existing things, but given the differing gaming biases/skill balances people have, I don't see slight "function overlap" as a bad thing (Think: Barbarian Skills). These magical/blessed trinkets could even be untradeable, quest related, all require 70 or 80+ (or even 90+) in the relevant skills , one of them could give access to a new branch of magic/spellbook (quest related, obviously). You could also decorate your POH further with carved decorations etc (exists to some extent already, but imagine being able to chose patterns etc like you choose you basic clothing set).

Lastly, and perhaps most controversially, I think smithing needs a massive rejig. What combat lvl do people largely stop using rune armour/weapons at? I was lvl 86 (when Dream Mentor came out) when I got my first d-legs and whip (which I used to defeat the bosses in the quest and get me my quest cape! Happy? I nearly weed myself!) and I haven't looked back. I only use rune armour/weapons for lvl 3 clues and when I am being a massive coward and not risking anything valuable I cannot buy back in 2 seconds at the G.E. Rune armour/weapons are medium lvl items at best. Make the smithing requirements for rune much lower (around what addy is now), compress the whole current smithing skill down into a lower level spectrum. Use the new space at the top to add a few dragon items and composite materials (mentioned above).

The real downside to this is the effect it would have on the economy, I can hear the howls of rune miners/smithers already. Think of it like this: rune is already roughly around it's alch price for many items, and I propose we keep the 85 mining req. I'm guessing rune items wouldn't drop very far below their alch price, and if they did that just gives you another alch item to train mage on (for example) and would render them useful still. Personally I think RS could cope, and that it would free up "space" for really high req items. Perhaps this is not necessary, after all there is room for more than one item per level, so we could leave things as they are and merely add brand new items into existing slots.

As mentioned above, smithing could be about repairing items too. Rather than have this cost money (like Barrows gear) it could cost resource (an iron bar for iron items etc). It doesn't have to be expensive, in fact cheap, quick and convenient is better in this instance, but it could give a small amount of xp, enough to be a potential method for slow training, not too much to override existing methods. Smithing could even be used to manufacture tools necessary for proper repairs. At the moment a cheap, 1gp, hammer does all jobs (for example), what about my new fangled, chemically treated, super rune, decoratively carved, home blessed, hand trimmed chest plate? Can your cruddy old hammer bash that back into shape? Of course not! But my lvl 90 smithing (+90 crafting, +90 magic), enchanted rune hammer of the dwarves can (bought with a quest and serious quantities of red berry pies). With upgraded armours/weapons from smithing/alchemy add ons could come the need to maintain these powerful but sensitive pieces of kit.

Lastly on smithing, what about money? We've got gold bars. We've got forges. We use gold coins. Make the link! Why can't we mint our own coins? Sure we can alch the bars, but that uses nasty magic ;-) . What if the mint value of a gold bar was higher than the alch value? What if it had higher smithing reqs, and since it would be forgery we'd need high thieving reqs too. Perhaps the banks of RS are clever and have discovered how to mill their coins. So initially we'd need high smithing and crafting to make the dies, high thieving to make convincing forgeries and high thieving again to pass them off into the banks. This could be a "once a day event" like Bork/Jade Vine. Forged coins would be untradeable between players but we could try to convince the banks that our new pile of forged gp were real once daily, the amount of gp limited by our thieving skill. It doesn't have to be millions of gp, a few tens of thousands here or there could make this worthwhile. (Think: Ardougne/Yanille achievement diary reward like battle staves for Varrock etc)

I think I've made my point. We don't just have to think linearly, high lvl items/functions that grant huge xp gains/combat gains. Think slightly laterally, expand the game into more "real world" or larger fantasy world applications. One of the high lvl expansions I favour (as if it isn't obvious already) are "composite skills", i.e. skills/items you can only access when you have got a certain lvl in a "basic skill". Take "idol carving" or "tunnel mining" as examples. Both require lvls gathered in other "basic" skills. I haven't worked out any of the balancing aspects of these ideas but imagine that these "composite skills" were only accessible when you had (for example) lvl 70+ in the relevant "basic skills", completed the relevant quests etc. These sorts of things already exist in RS. The Beacon Lighting minigame is an example of this, multiple skills are required to light all the beacons, FM is just one of them. Minimising their direct effects on the economy is as simple as making any items they garner untradeable (just like heraldic items from POHs).

Anyway, I've gone on far too long, as some will doubtlessly complain. Point made!

Louisc111

P.S. Given that these "composite skills" use existing F2P skills like mining and smithing, I see no reason why some (if not all) elements of this could not be a major update to F2P. Obviously things that require members only skills can't be, but I'm not intending to exclude the large high lvl F2P community from this.

ETA: How do I get my stats to appear as a sig? There used to be a thread around here somewhere, I must have done a poor search because after a quick bash I can't find it. Any links?

ETA several days later. Did the sig thing thanks. Dur, my brain was obviously not of the workingness.

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

Second article:

I've haven't seen many threads asking for upgrading slayer...There's a few knocking around, but that is because slayer is one of the slowest skills to train, and what with 90-99 being well over half the exp of 1-90, you'd think there'd be something in the middle. But by no means, there are plenty of other skills (especially smithing) that players are asking for something new. Smithing hasn't had any change since it came out really, with mining, atleast granite offered a new way to train.

With regards to mining, you say there should be something added every 3 levels or so for slayer (you mention 88 needs something new) but there's a whole 13 levels for mining.

And mining needs a overhaul or something brand new. It was superceeded years ago when most boss dropped armour become so powerful it wasn't worth it.

Range: Highest level commonly used weapon is 61, so again, there's quite a bit of expansion. Leaving out uncommonly use items like crystal bow, karils and morrigans. All 3 of which aren't related to any other skills, but are quests/minigames.

Herblore: Seeing this, author has no imagination whatsover, there's plenty of potions that could be useful from existing potions. Super range potion? range + defence? Some kind of magic brew that would assist, but not give a massive boost so you would not have a low magic level using magic spells way beyond. And that's just combat, without any major changes made, just perhaps to make the combat a bit more unbiased.

Second article:

I've haven't seen many threads asking for upgrading slayer...There's a few knocking around, but that is because slayer is one of the slowest skills to train, and what with 90-99 being well over half the exp of 1-90, you'd think there'd be something in the middle. But by no means, there are plenty of other skills (especially smithing) that players are asking for something new. Smithing hasn't had any change since it came out really, with mining, atleast granite offered a new way to train.

With regards to mining, you say there should be something added every 3 levels or so for slayer (you mention 88 needs something new) but there's a whole 13 levels for mining.

And mining needs a overhaul or something brand new. It was superceeded years ago when most boss dropped armour become so powerful it wasn't worth it.

Range: Highest level commonly used weapon is 61, so again, there's quite a bit of expansion. Leaving out uncommonly use items like crystal bow, karils and morrigans. All 3 of which aren't related to any other skills, but are quests/minigames.

Herblore: Seeing this, author has no imagination whatsover, there's plenty of potions that could be useful from existing potions. Super range potion? range + defence? Some kind of magic brew that would assist, but not give a massive boost so you would not have a low magic level using magic spells way beyond. And that's just combat, without any major changes made, just perhaps to make the combat a bit more unbiased.

Yes, as Super Range potions and super magic potions are super imaginative? That's two potions that could potentially be added, however I see no need for either of them, especially a better magic potion.

Smithing hasn't had any major updates in ages because it's already got something pretty much every level and it's had some high level updates (Dragon Plate and Dragonfire Shield) in recent times.

I didn't say there SHOULD be a slayer update every 3 levels, I said based on the previous levels for slayer those are the ones where Jagex are likely to put it based on previous patterns. Out of those 88 in my opinion is the one Jagex are most likely to add, which is not going to add anything between the 90-99 gap which you mentioned.

As for range - I think it's fine as it is at the moment, it's used more commonly then melee is for a lot of bosses and any major update would make PvM tipped even more in favour of Range. Although PvP is tipped in the balance of melee which makes updating either skill very difficult.

I olny look forward to Tip.it times for fictional stories.

None this week. :(

If everything goes as planned, there will be another fictional next week.

And the author of war running will be writing the fictional series next month.

As for the articles: :thumbsup:

YAAY@! :thumbsup: \'

I still want war running though ;P

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen