Tip.it Times: 28 June 2009

Mirror

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

P.S. Also if you notice any kind of grammar/spelling mistakes, please PM me instead of posting on here. Thanks!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

@The Big Tease

Jagex is a company, of course they will try to get people to pay for their game. You should realize that above anything, making money is their #1 goal.

@Skilling Heights

The latest 2 skills released already have content that goes all the way up to 99 (or near 99), so obviously Jagex realises that they need to put high-level content in a skill to make people happy. The problem with high-level content is that probably 99.9% of RuneScape population can't profit from this. So they will be spending a lot of time for a really small portion of players.

I could give Jagex the benefit of the doubt and say its a normal mistake. It isnt one of the most obvious things to disable right off the bat when RuneScape 2 came out with the Run feature. Yet I cant help but wonder if this was all part of a larger scheme to get non-members thinking about becoming a member with having Agility as a benefit to recharging run faster.
How could it be a teaser to nonmembers if the change only affected the ones who were ex-members already? I think the ex-members have enough motivation to resubscribe already: The members' items junking up their banks! :P

It seems inappropriate to ask "How far will they go?" when they've already answered with "We've gone too far already."

On the second article, I think the author failed to recognize that high-level content is typically going to be new content. High-level herblore updates don't necessarily need to be potions, high-level mining updates don't necessarily have to be new rocks, high-level fishing updates don't need to be food-based, and so on. Any skill could introduce new equipment with high-level requirements like they did with firemaking's inferno adze. Any skill could have new minigames with high-level or scalable requirements. And they can always create entirely new things.

In response to the third article, I found myself thinking that I can completely understand where the author is coming from. I often find myself wondering, "Why am I spending so much time training?" My brother, who also plays RuneScape, also accuses me of never having any fun while I play. In the end though, I am enjoying myself. I find it fun, while repetitive, to train the skills I want to train. The reason for this is that throughout the whole process I know I am training so that I can do something else I enjoy more effectively.

For example, I enjoy going to the Tzhaar Fight Pits with my friends. However, I do not find it fun to consistently be massacred, so I train my combat stats.

If training was all I did, I would hate it, but because I train so that I can do something else better, I have a purpose and do not mind it.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Well said Mirrorforced, i liked your well laid out article, good read :thumbup:

As for the others, they were fine as well, good reads all round. :thumbsup:

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

Agility was a teaser to non-members in that especially in clan wars and The Great Orb Project for example, you think, "Ugh! They've recharged their run already?!" If you got one team full of members and one team full of non-members that never had F2P before, it can make all the difference.

"How far will they go?" " is in reference to how much will Jagex withdraw P2P aspects from the F2P areas.

I olny look forward to Tip.it times for fictional stories.

None this week. :(

What ever happened to the story: war running?

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

I olny look forward to Tip.it times for fictional stories.

None this week. :(

If everything goes as planned, there will be another fictional next week.

And the author of war running will be writing the fictional series next month.

As for the articles: :thumbsup:

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

Great articles this week guys.

Removing the member parts on F2P worlds is a step in the right direction to me. Since Jagex has clearly stated F2P is not a demo but rather a whole game by itself, it shouldn't have bits of the members expansion pack everywhere across it.

On the second article, I think the author failed to recognize that high-level content is typically going to be new content. High-level herblore updates don't necessarily need to be potions, high-level mining updates don't necessarily have to be new rocks, high-level fishing updates don't need to be food-based, and so on. Any skill could introduce new equipment with high-level requirements like they did with firemaking's inferno adze. Any skill could have new minigames with high-level or scalable requirements. And they can always create entirely new things.

^ This would be just as good for new high level content. If higher levels in some skills allowed you to play minigames more efficiently with more options it would motivate people to level up their skills higher. When Stealing Creation offered level 80 equipment in the minigame it motivated me to get 80 smithing so I could access better items in said minigame.

As for the article "Just let me play" I couldn't say things better myself. I play Runescape for enjoyment, not as a chore or to be the absolute best and have bragging rights. When I grind or level a skill I do so because I want to have access to a certain area or item which I would find fun to use. Before I had my quest cape I leveled my skills so I would be able to complete all the quests, something I find enjoyable to do. I may not always use the most efficient method but instead I prefer to use a method that will keep me playing because I enjoy it.

For example I do not like mining very much, therefore I will play Stealing Creation to get the clay pickaxe so I will have to mine less for my xp. Sure it is not as fast as powermining granite but I like it better because I am having more fun while leveling.

Personally, as a higher leveld player I am very pleased with the shift towards higher level content, and it is the first update that has interested me in months, as i don't nearly meet the requirements. I also believe that Jagex have realised that there is already a lot of medium level content, enough to go through levels 40-80 10 times over.

Also i thought the article "Just let me play" was a very important point. People are obsessed about the fastest experience, but the game is for fun. Furthermore, doing something you enjoy will mean you are more likely to stick to it, achieve your goals and get the level faster, as you sepnd more time enjoying the training.

Do it for the journey, not the destination.

Hut999.png

- Live for the next snowfall -

Good articles this week guys :)

I especially liked the DYK but noone seemed to mention it like they do when they are a bit below their standards. :?

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

To "skilling heights": herblore and prayer have some very obvious improvements: super ranged potion and piety/chivalry for ranged and mage. There is also a huge prayer suggestion on the RSOF which had a lot of very useful, creative and not overpowering suggestions (76-77-58-57420631).

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

To "skilling heights": herblore and prayer have some very obvious improvements: super ranged potion and piety/chivalry for ranged and mage. There is also a huge prayer suggestion on the RSOF which had a lot of very useful, creative and not overpowering suggestions (76-77-58-57420631).

piety/chivalry for Mage/Range aren't needed as there's only one stat to boost (range/mage) which effects accuracy AND damage already. If you then release a single 20% boost for Range/Mage instead of 15% Eagle Eye (I think it's 15%) gives, then melee will demand single boosting prayers that use less prayer individually then piety does so they can better select what they want to boost.

I don't really see a super ranged potion as needed but could be added, although the normal ranged potion is already higher than the melee super potions are and it would seem out of place to have a super ranged potion which would have to be quite a high level for something that to be fair would only add another 6 levels of range than the normal range potion.

I thought 'Just let me play' summed up my feelings about rs perfectly. I don't enjoy constant updates that have new requirements. I thought 'the big tease' was pretty interesting also.

I missed the fictional article though, looking forward to next week's!

Just let me play: I never understood the "I could care less" expression. If you want to express how little you care, what's wrong with "I couldn't care less"? I mean, if you in fact CAN care less, that implies that you care at least a *little*.

Anyway, I liked the article a lot, it was the only one I bothered to read fully. The others didn't seem very interesting to me, so I skimmed through them.

A new study shows that 98% of teenagers listen to emo music. The other 2% have stayed straight gangster. If your apparantly the 0% who still listens to rock, put this in your signature.

Yeah really good reads this week! Only thing I have to say is probably most nonmembers did not even know about the running thing to begin with, so they probably didn't consider it advertising for members. Not to say there isn't already plenty of "advertising" already though.

Big_Stingman.png

Yeah really good reads this week! Only thing I have to say is probably most nonmembers did not even know about the running thing to begin with, so they probably didn't consider it advertising for members. Not to say there isn't already plenty of "advertising" already though.

I know you say that most nonmembers didnt know about the agility part, but IMO alot had to. Many non members (Well, not the newer players, but there are a good number of smarter nonmembers), will have known about it. I could be wrong, but I one major giveaway on that, is when they hang around with any member/former member, and had seen the difference it made when they were running around.

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

i loved the articles, i often think to my self from the just let me play point of veiw,

can some1 plz tell me though, has when kingdoms collide finished? or is it still goin??

i realy liked that story, and i hope it keeps going.

(with the huge assortement of weapons the farmers ammassed, it would be nice to see if varrock, sends in the calvary, and starts to confenscate weapons. it would also be neat to see if the farmers resist again, or if they just go with the flow.)

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

The past fictional story, "When Kingdoms Collapse" was wrapped up last week. Who knows, maybe there could be more from this author? We will have to see.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

All great articles this week! :thumbsup:

The big tease and skilling heights were good, but "Just let me play" is really a good article. We play RuneScape for fun, so why bother about other people saying what you're doing is stupid, etc. Just play how you like to.

The did you know was interesting too. I thought the musician in lumbridge said you couldn't do anything while resting except talk... :?

But most of the time when I'm at a bank I usually don't need to run anymore. Though I rarely gather raw materials to put into the bank though. (I usually powermine iron while waiting for gold, recovering my energy in the process, light my logs, and while I'm cooking my fish, I usually gain back my energy already)

Wit respect to the "big tease" article, it was these annoying things, plus tip.it that made me want to join members... oh you can only do this on a members world, that would be soooo much easier on a members world, you could make so much more money on a members world etc.

So eventually I got fed up of f2p and signed up to p2p around this time last year I think....

Proud owner of Questcape since 4th July 2009!! :D :D

sphinxor_86.png

piety/chivalry for Mage/Range aren't needed as there's only one stat to boost (range/mage) which effects accuracy AND damage already. If you then release a single 20% boost for Range/Mage instead of 15% Eagle Eye (I think it's 15%) gives, then melee will demand single boosting prayers that use less prayer individually then piety does so they can better select what they want to boost.

The problem is, ranged and maged don't have any options to boost their defence by 25% and their offensive power by 20% at the same time. That's unfair and therefore those prayers are needed. Even if it'd drain just as fast as piety.

I don't really see a super ranged potion as needed but could be added, although the normal ranged potion is already higher than the melee super potions are and it would seem out of place to have a super ranged potion which would have to be quite a high level for something that to be fair would only add another 6 levels of range than the normal range potion.

Wrong, a normal ranged potion boosts your level with the same percentage as a normal combat potion. Therefore, ranged does need a super potion IMO.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif