Abstinence

Jutyh

I was reading a discussion on another website about this. So my question is, do you think schools should teach abstinence or sex ed. where kids learn about condoms, birth control etc.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

parents should teach abstinence and sex ed.

My opinion on the matter.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You're in denial if you think the average teenager is going to follow abstinence :lol:

Best to teach them about protection. Sure parents may protest but it's far better than having teenagers not using protection because they don't know about it, when they could have found out easily

sex ed should teach how to be good in bed. :(

OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

Kind of obviously you should learn about protection and condoms.

Convincing a teenager to not want to have sex is like... well it's just impossible.

It's like getting blood out of a stone?

Sex Ed is clearly the right one.

Rather than tell them not to do it, and have them go do it. Tell them about methods to make it safer.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Abstinence teaching is just stupid. Whether or not everyone actually has sex as a teenager, a good amount do, regardless of people telling them that they should abstain from it. If they don't know about safety when doing it, it could end badly. I personally haven't had any sex-ed, or people telling be me to be abstinent, but since I don't want to have a kid while I'm in highschool, I've made sure I know all that is necessary to avoid std's, etc.

But abstinence teaching should become a thing of the past. It might stop a few kids from having sex, but the majority won't care about what some teacher they probably hate told them. Teaching them how to be safe is the right thing to do.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Kinda impossible to say to teens that you should stay away from it.

I mean, you start catching on to gender-x at that age... So i don't think abstinence works, didn't work for me atleast.

It is much more important to teach teens on how have do it in a safe way, STD's etc... Just saying "no no no" won't work.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Teach them sex ed. It'd be much better than telling them that it is some forbidden fruit until they get married. Plus mainstream media portrays it a really good thing, and that the more you have the better your life will be.

Abstinence doesn't work all the time anyway. ;)

[hide=]oy51de6uj7jv7n839o7v.jpg[/hide]

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

We were made aware, but that was in grade 8, and by that time everyone generally knows the potential reprocussions. Parents should be the ones making their children aware (as mine did), but a further education from schools is fine left open as an option. I personally don't believe that teaching abstinence is the right way. Make everyone aware of what could happen, and what that will do to their futures; make protection readily available and free; let the teens take it from there.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I think it is inappropriate for a school to encourage abstinence.

A school's purpose should stay within its originally conceived borders, strictly providing an education and nothing else.

Sure, schools can teach about STDs and all of the dangers they entail, but when you start to label sex in any (legal) way, shape, or form as irresponsible and bad, or any other opinionated attribute, you really lose all impartiality. It shouldn't be a school's job to impress upon the tender minds of young children what is "right" and what is "wrong", but rather present the facts and let the process occur naturally. Of course the lifestyle of a child will be formed by other external sources, such as friends and parents, but I think education organizations should do nothing more than their name entitles.

And while avoiding sex will ensure no STDs, avoiding it because of propaganda is a distortion of the truth.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

We were made aware, but that was in grade 8, and by that time everyone generally knows the potential reprocussions. Parents should be the ones making their children aware (as mine did), but a further education from schools is fine left open as an option. I personally don't believe that teaching abstinence is the right way. Make everyone aware of what could happen, and what that will do to their futures; make protection readily available and free; let the teens take it from there.

So are you saying that schools should hand out condoms to kids? that they should be free in any store? not neccessarily disagreeing, just interested to hear what you say

I'd rather they were easily able to get a hold of them, for free even if it'd help.

It'd be saying "Look, we can tell you everything, but we know you're going to go ahead and do it, at least be safe while doing it."

But then it'd be encouraging children to have sex and most parents would not like that. Plus condoms do break sometimes so if the school just starts giving out condoms and everyone in the school starts having sex there's going to be a few pregnancies because the school assured them they would be safe.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Kind of obviously you should learn about protection and condoms.

Convincing a teenager to not want to have sex is like... well it's just impossible.

It's not! Just show them how to play MMO's :D

Just kidding. Anyways, I think Sex Ed should be taught in all schools, and free condoms should be offered to students, IMO.

16185_s.gif

Scare videos fixed me straight. Looking at pictures with people that have all sorts of STDs convinced me that condoms were a Godsend. I don't recall ever having a real sex-talk with a teacher or my parents, the closest thing I came to talking about sex with my father was him asking me if I knew how to do things properly, and that Trojan Ultra-Thins feel like you're wearing nothing at all.

Best advice ever.

hiccup.png

So are you saying that schools should hand out condoms to kids? that they should be free in any store? not neccessarily disagreeing, just interested to hear what you say

Well, actually the health nurse will give free condoms if you ask for them. She's not within the school, but her office is within the town. I'm not sure if giving them away within the school would be a wise decision as I could see many parents feeling that the school is at fault for supporting sex (albeit safe sex). I think it would be a bit too much for the public to handle, especially in a large school. The school I went to had approximately 300 kids, and the town was small, so it was nothing to take a walk to the health nurse for condoms. I'm not too sure what could be implemented in larger schools. Although, I do think we were given the option of free condoms during the Sex Ed presentation at school.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

The problem I have with teaching sex ed in schools is that it is presented as a be all and end all solution to pregnancy and std's. I agree that a huge majority of kids won't practice abstinence, but the way condoms etc are presented is as a 100% solution, when it isn't the case.

People need to be aware that there are ways to be "safer" but that abstinence is the only truly 100% effective method, and then let them decide.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The problem I have with teaching sex ed in schools is that it is presented as a be all and end all solution to pregnancy and std's. I agree that a huge majority of kids won't practice abstinence, but the way condoms etc are presented is as a 100% solution, when it isn't the case.

People need to be aware that there are ways to be "safer" but that abstinence is the only truly 100% effective method, and then let them decide.

I believe we were told that condoms were 90% effective when the right size was used, and properly. Birth control was in the high 90's and a little math lesson that 90% + 90% doesn't equal 100%, nor does condom + condom. I think that's what we were told.. it was a while ago so the percentages may be off.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I believe we were told that condoms were 90% effective when the right size was used, and properly. Birth control was in the high 90's and a little math lesson that 90% + 90% doesn't equal 100%, nor does condom + condom. I think that's what we were told.. it was a while ago so the percentages may be off.

And what did they tell you about abstinence? :P

polvCwJ.gif

Any school sex ed that teaches abstinence only is going to be useless so of course they should teach protection and such.

edit--condoms and birth control are both in the very high 90's when used correctly; I think they are actually considered to be 85% in non perfect usage.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Any school sex ed that teaches abstinence only is going to be useless so of course they should teach protection and such.

edit--condoms and birth control are both in the very high 90's when used correctly; I think they are actually considered to be 85% in non perfect usage.

I just don't think that it's stressed enough what "90% effective" means. People hear that and think "Oh wow, it's almost 100, I'm fine". Look at the other 10%: pregnancy or a life altering disease. I still don't feel (and I was exposed to sex ed in school) that those facts were well represented, it seemed like they didn't want you to think about that.

polvCwJ.gif