Why slayer?

Kietaro1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could get those drops without doing other tasks after 85 slayer. There really isn't much of a point in levelling slayer past 83/85, besides fun.

Blasphemy!

Dark beasts drop Dark Bows, runite bars, rune chainbodies, rune battleaxes, tons of blue charms, loads of coins, and just happen to be awesome experience. Additionally, if you can mine runite, you get a "free" runite ore every 20 mins or so that no one will beat you to.

stormveritas.png

What in the HELL'S diversity??

Doing different things.

*WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH*

Sarcasm doesn't come across very well on the interweb

What in the HELL'S sarcasm??

It's when you fall down a well nipples 1st. :lol:

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

What in the HELL'S diversity??

Doing different things.

*WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH*

Sarcasm doesn't come across very well on the interweb

What in the HELL'S sarcasm??

It's when you fall down a well nipples 1st. :lol:

How'd you know what I do in my spare time? :uhh:

[hide=]

I'm not saying that the Slayer skill is totally ridiculous, I'm saying that it's not well thought out, based on what it was originally meant to be in RuneScape's term.

Across RuneScape, even the most powerful adventurers will find strange beasts and weird spirits that defy ordinary combat methods. Whether through sorcery, armour or other, stranger means, these monsters are impervious to the attacks of those who have not trodden the path of the Slayer.

The Slayer skill allows you to kill those strange creatures that you may previously have thought immune to your attacks.

This is the original text from the game manual, and yet the majority of the monsters are not strange or weird, nor do they really defy ordinary combat methods.

The following slayer monsters are what I think really feels like monsters that the poorly informed and equipped players would suffer if they attempt to kill:

Banshee, Rock slug, Desert lizard, Cockatrice, Mogre, Harpie bug swarm, Wall beast, Killerwatt, Molanisk, Basilisk, Fever spider, Bloodveld, Turoth, Warped terrorbird, Warped tortoise, Mutated zygomite, Cave horror, Aberrant spectre, Dust devil, Kurask, Skeletal wyvern, Gargoyle.

Dragons are the exception to the list in that they do not have a slayer requirement, but are nevertheless dangerous without anti-dragon shield. The rest of the possible task you can get are more or less filler monsters to make sure you get something new to kill every few levels, or normal creatures that are HP punchbags.

I have a few personal encounters that I think is what makes Slayer truely shine:

1. I was slaying Bloodvelds in the Slayer Tower, and a relatively low leveled player rushed into the room filled with aberrant spectres without nosepegs or slayer helm. I saw him came back asking people for advice and saying how he almost died in there because he didn't know what was needed. This tells you not every task is a punchbag. :twisted:

2. Someone slaying bloodvelds next to me was in full rune, and eating food at a very high rate. Until I told him that they use magic-based melee attacks.

3. I tried to use Guthans at Dust Devils, even though it wasn't my first time slaying them. It just slipped of my mind, and I lost 5million back then when it meant a lot to me.

Furthermore, following your logic, I could easily say the same about any other skill out there. Construction. What is the definition? Construction means to build or to make something. Then why can't we just make houses out of crafting? Or while we're at it, just combine smithing and crafting and fletching all into construction, since they're all building skills. Wouldn't that make more logical sense? Since, you know, we're being so literal and logical here. And what about Summoning? Couldn't that just be a part of magic? Couldn't prayer and runecrafting just be a part of magic as well? What about Slayer and Hunter? Can't we just lump those two together?

Construction in RuneScape's term means building things related to your POH. Fletching means making bows and arrows, once again in Runescape's term. Crafting means the various leather, gems, glasswork, weaving. They are all SECONDARY SKILLS, that doesn't mean they are the same, so don't try putting words in my mouth when that wasn't what I mean. Runecraft is also the gathering, or production of runes, from which magic becomes the secondary skill that utilizes the runes.

If they named the skill BOUNTY, of course it's suitable for what we're doing. But it isn't, and neither is description from the game manual. And I know it's just ANOTHER skill, which is why I spent some time getting a few decent levels in it, for my highscore and whatsnot. But I still don't think it's a well thought out skill, for which i provided the reason, to the person who asked for it.

[/hide]

If you can use the "In Runescape's terms," line on what I said, then I can do the very same thing with Slayer. Slayer is what it is "In Runescape's terms."

See? It's not a valid argument when I can just say the same thing back and it have literally the same amount of weight as your argument pertaining to the exact same concept. Runescape is absolutely no different from the above skills in the sense that it is a secondary combat skill. You don't have to train runecrafting to train magic. You don't have to train fletching or crafting to train ranged. It follows the same principles as Slayer does to Melee, Magic and Ranged. You don't have to train it in order to train combat, but the perks it gives towards combat are why people go to it.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

"There are better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

"No, in the overall amount of time spent, Slayer will earn more of each of these in the same amount of time than if you had done them seperately, and this is why. [insert many examples here which don't need repeating]"

"Well there are still better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

*face -> palm*

I'd like you to back that up with facts. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=765267

The problem with that is that no one has conclusive data that everyone in the debate agrees with. So, there will always be people yelling 'slayer sucks!' or 'slayer is awesome' without actually knowing who is right.

Compfreak's entire argument is that armored zombies are better melee experience per hour than slayer. However, slayer is undeniably the best way to max combat or total level.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

"No, in the overall amount of time spent, Slayer will earn more of each of these in the same amount of time than if you had done them seperately, and this is why. [insert many examples here which don't need repeating]"

"Well there are still better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

*face -> palm*

The problem with that is that no one has conclusive data that everyone in the debate agrees with. So, there will always be people yelling 'slayer sucks!' or 'slayer is awesome' without actually knowing who is right.

Compfreak's entire argument is that armored zombies are better melee experience per hour than slayer. However, slayer is undeniably the best way to max combat or total level.

It's only good if you're interested in having a high slayer level or going for maxed total level, really. If slayer is truly the best way to get charms, profit, and experience, then why does everybody quit training on slayer tasks after 85/90/99 slayer?

77yLQy8.png

I find slayer fun because it's challenging for me because I'm a low level. Sure when your a lv 130 a Bronze Dragon is nothing but when I was a lv 87 it was an expidition! (Even though I had to kill 3.)

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

[hide=]
I'm not saying that the Slayer skill is totally ridiculous, I'm saying that it's not well thought out, based on what it was originally meant to be in RuneScape's term.

Across RuneScape, even the most powerful adventurers will find strange beasts and weird spirits that defy ordinary combat methods. Whether through sorcery, armour or other, stranger means, these monsters are impervious to the attacks of those who have not trodden the path of the Slayer.

The Slayer skill allows you to kill those strange creatures that you may previously have thought immune to your attacks.

This is the original text from the game manual, and yet the majority of the monsters are not strange or weird, nor do they really defy ordinary combat methods.

The following slayer monsters are what I think really feels like monsters that the poorly informed and equipped players would suffer if they attempt to kill:

Banshee, Rock slug, Desert lizard, Cockatrice, Mogre, Harpie bug swarm, Wall beast, Killerwatt, Molanisk, Basilisk, Fever spider, Bloodveld, Turoth, Warped terrorbird, Warped tortoise, Mutated zygomite, Cave horror, Aberrant spectre, Dust devil, Kurask, Skeletal wyvern, Gargoyle.

Dragons are the exception to the list in that they do not have a slayer requirement, but are nevertheless dangerous without anti-dragon shield. The rest of the possible task you can get are more or less filler monsters to make sure you get something new to kill every few levels, or normal creatures that are HP punchbags.

I have a few personal encounters that I think is what makes Slayer truely shine:

1. I was slaying Bloodvelds in the Slayer Tower, and a relatively low leveled player rushed into the room filled with aberrant spectres without nosepegs or slayer helm. I saw him came back asking people for advice and saying how he almost died in there because he didn't know what was needed. This tells you not every task is a punchbag. :twisted:

2. Someone slaying bloodvelds next to me was in full rune, and eating food at a very high rate. Until I told him that they use magic-based melee attacks.

3. I tried to use Guthans at Dust Devils, even though it wasn't my first time slaying them. It just slipped of my mind, and I lost 5million back then when it meant a lot to me.

Furthermore, following your logic, I could easily say the same about any other skill out there. Construction. What is the definition? Construction means to build or to make something. Then why can't we just make houses out of crafting? Or while we're at it, just combine smithing and crafting and fletching all into construction, since they're all building skills. Wouldn't that make more logical sense? Since, you know, we're being so literal and logical here. And what about Summoning? Couldn't that just be a part of magic? Couldn't prayer and runecrafting just be a part of magic as well? What about Slayer and Hunter? Can't we just lump those two together?

Construction in RuneScape's term means building things related to your POH. Fletching means making bows and arrows, once again in Runescape's term. Crafting means the various leather, gems, glasswork, weaving. They are all SECONDARY SKILLS, that doesn't mean they are the same, so don't try putting words in my mouth when that wasn't what I mean. Runecraft is also the gathering, or production of runes, from which magic becomes the secondary skill that utilizes the runes.

If they named the skill BOUNTY, of course it's suitable for what we're doing. But it isn't, and neither is description from the game manual. And I know it's just ANOTHER skill, which is why I spent some time getting a few decent levels in it, for my highscore and whatsnot. But I still don't think it's a well thought out skill, for which i provided the reason, to the person who asked for it.

[/hide]

If you can use the "In Runescape's terms," line on what I said, then I can do the very same thing with Slayer. Slayer is what it is "In Runescape's terms."

See? It's not a valid argument when I can just say the same thing back and it have literally the same amount of weight as your argument pertaining to the exact same concept. Runescape is absolutely no different from the above skills in the sense that it is a secondary combat skill. You don't have to train runecrafting to train magic. You don't have to train fletching or crafting to train ranged. It follows the same principles as Slayer does to Melee, Magic and Ranged. You don't have to train it in order to train combat, but the perks it gives towards combat are why people go to it.

I think you're being way off track here. I know that Slayer is a part combat, part character development skill. I know the benefits of training it with combat, along with the charms and the wonderful drop the monsters gave me. My point is, it's poorly thought out, because it doesn't fulfil what it says in the Knowledge Base 100% of the time. I know what to do when I see the Fletching skill, even though the training seems boring. Simple, you fletch bows and arrows, and get some Fletching EXP.

But Slayer? It says killing strange beasts, but majority of the monster task are normal monsters that anyone can fight, without any special equipment or technique. Moreover, have you ever hunted a chinchompa, but not get the Hunter EXP, because "Oh the Hunting Expert did not give it as a task"?

The flaws I see in the skill itself are:

1. I cannot get EXP, even if I slay a slayer-specific monster, if it's not my task.

2. Even if it's a bounty slayer system like you said, I'm assigned mostly simple meatbags, that could've all been little blue polygon squares, and you won't notice the difference besides the HP. If anything, dragons should have a slayer level attached to each of the different types, as compared to jellies, abyssal demons, and every other meat bag that you know as 'slayer beast'.

3. The so called unique and valuable drops aren't even that unique. I have these list of metal boots, but I don't want them to be a product of smithing, so what can I do? I know! Put them under the drop list of some slayer-specific monsters. That way the supply would be limited, and it doesn't matter if I don't actually explain why spiritual mages are considered slayer beast, as long as I whack a high slayer level on them, so that not everyone can hunt dragon boots.

I'm pointing out the fundamental problems of the skill when it was first introduced, despite enjoying the benefits of gaining free levels, charms, drops and combat stats along the way. It's like how Hunter Skill was introduced half heartedly with limited training monsters, and poor concept. Oh yeah, it still is. For example, why do previous "hunting" features like Chompy Hunting not give out Hunter EXP? Archery is part of of a hunter's weapon, so why isn't there such a feature, and how would it differ from Ranged if introduced?

Of course, the majority of the players aren't going to care so much, as long as there's something new to gain fast levels in, and make a nice pile of cash at the same time. And they probably tell me to GTFO for thinking too in-depth too, because this game's all about simple way of thinking, mindless clicking and EXP grinding right?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

*face -> palm*

It's only good if you're interested in having a high slayer level or going for maxed total level, really. If slayer is truly the best way to get charms, profit, and experience, then why does everybody quit training on slayer tasks after 85/90/99 slayer?

I can answer that.

Slayer is the best way for those, while you're after slayer levels. Once you hit 83/85/90/99 Slayer (whichever your goal is), the benefits of gaining EXP and loot along with SLAYER LEVELS no longer applies, and you're better off collecting the remaining charm at waterfiends, craft double nats, camp at abby, or do some boss hunting. The side benefits of training combat stats, getting some cash and charm doesn't apply when the primary purpose of gaining Slayer levels (for whatever reason) is lost.

Although strictly speaking, for any player going to max every skill, slayer is not the best, but the only efficient way to train, since you max out melee and range, and almost all summoning while at it.

Who in their right mind would go taking a task to get charms, if they already had 99 slayer before summoning came out? Other than people whose new goal is getting 200mil EXP, no one else would do that, because the facts and numbers states that you can get more charms more efficiently hunting waterfiends and lob bursting.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

well for me personally i do slayer for fun. Isn't that the point of a game? to have fun? Unless your goal is to be the best then you may as well quite life now as there are to many players to far ahead, not to mention the game has almost endless playtime if you include all stats 200m, and quests/achievements done, all minigames complete with maxed pile of all(yes 2b gold cw sets) not to mention your bank filled with maxed pile of the most expensive items going down the list, including all rares.

i would rather play for fun.

Y_Z.png

[hide=]

[/hide]

I think you're being way off track here. I know that Slayer is a part combat, part character development skill. I know the benefits of training it with combat, along with the charms and the wonderful drop the monsters gave me. My point is, it's poorly thought out, because it doesn't fulfil what it says in the Knowledge Base 100% of the time. I know what to do when I see the Fletching skill, even though the training seems boring. Simple, you fletch bows and arrows, and get some Fletching EXP.

But Slayer? It says killing strange beasts, but majority of the monster task are normal monsters that anyone can fight, without any special equipment or technique. Moreover, have you ever hunted a chinchompa, but not get the Hunter EXP, because "Oh the Hunting Expert did not give it as a task"?

The flaws I see in the skill itself are:

1. I cannot get EXP, even if I slay a slayer-specific monster, if it's not my task.

2. Even if it's a bounty slayer system like you said, I'm assigned mostly simple meatbags, that could've all been little blue polygon squares, and you won't notice the difference besides the HP. If anything, dragons should have a slayer level attached to each of the different types, as compared to jellies, abyssal demons, and every other meat bag that you know as 'slayer beast'.

3. The so called unique and valuable drops aren't even that unique. I have these list of metal boots, but I don't want them to be a product of smithing, so what can I do? I know! Put them under the drop list of some slayer-specific monsters. That way the supply would be limited, and it doesn't matter if I don't actually explain why spiritual mages are considered slayer beast, as long as I whack a high slayer level on them, so that not everyone can hunt dragon boots.

I'm pointing out the fundamental problems of the skill when it was first introduced, despite enjoying the benefits of gaining free levels, charms, drops and combat stats along the way. It's like how Hunter Skill was introduced half heartedly with limited training monsters, and poor concept. Oh yeah, it still is. For example, why do previous "hunting" features like Chompy Hunting not give out Hunter EXP? Archery is part of of a hunter's weapon, so why isn't there such a feature, and how would it differ from Ranged if introduced?

Of course, the majority of the players aren't going to care so much, as long as there's something new to gain fast levels in, and make a nice pile of cash at the same time. And they probably tell me to GTFO for thinking too in-depth too, because this game's all about simple way of thinking, mindless clicking and EXP grinding right?

Ahem...

1. That is the whole point of the slayer skill. It would get very boring if the only monsters you could kill for slayer xp were slayer specific monsters. In turn it would also make training slayer far to easy, especially for the people that camp at specific monsters(like bloodvelds, abby demons, basilisks, etc.).

2. I will have to admit that some of the slayer monsters are meatbags but the rest of them aren't. For instance I would like to see someone try to kill a wallbeast w/o a slayer helm/[bleep]y helm or fighting dark beasts, they hit a lot harder and from what I hear are harder to hurt than gargoyles.

3. From my knowledge slayer levels, for the character, show the know-how of how to kill certain monsters the experience shows how more knowledgeable you are in killing special monsters. And to point out your example of Spiritual Mages as slayer monsters may I remind you that they are basically floating robes that are in the possession of magic from the god wars, you would need to know where to hit them and how to hit them. Also slayer monsters must have slayer specific drops because if they didn't then slayer wouldn't be that super great of a skill. For instance you rarely see people getting very excited for Spiritual Warriors or Archers but you often see people excited for Abby Demons, Dark Beasts, Jellies, and Spiritual Mages.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

1. I would have thought that replacing the meatbags and normal monsters with MORE slayer-specific beasts would make the skill more diverse. A branch of combat skill entirely new creatures for slayers. Even without me suggesting, there has been many suggestions for slayer creatures, be it mythological beasts, or entirely new ideas.

Most people here talk about diversity of the skill, where in reality they love to kill normal monsters like trolls, fire giants for fast slayer EXP. People whine about the need to whack every Gargoyle with rockhammers, and how Turoth/wyvern task should be banned because they are slow EXP, how warped terrorbirds are the worst task becuase you need to use the crystal chimes.

2. Right, now count the number of slayer creatures requiring special slayer techniques, compared to monsters punchbags.

By the way, the only special thing about Dark beast is that it attacks with melee when in melee range, and magic if out of range. That, plus the slayer level of 90 that's slapped onto it. There's at least a few monsters in the game with multiple attack type, yet I don't see a slayer requirement for them.

3. Trying to decribe spiritual mages to be such special monsters, with the difficulty in poking in robes and stuff.....the 4 bosses of GWD would have a slayer level requirement of 99 already. Of the three spiritual class, I think either one could have been the the slayer monster with 83 requirement, depending on which was selected as the one to drop dragon boots. Lucky mages.

If you talk to the slayer master everytime you get a task for advice, they would tell you the special attributes of the monsters and equipment needed (for slayer-specific ones). But of course, since some of them don't really have any, while others are normal monsters, the master just mention briefly their locations.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

eff > dev as someone said before. but what if i'll bring points slayer may beat in few stuff at the long run?

1) summoning - rock lobsters you do gain faster, but lost very large amounts of money. slayer make the killing (and by that getting charms) with slayer helm bonuses not far off with decent slayer monsters charm drops, while in slayer, you make money. and even not included all other benefits.

2) money making while gaining xp - while some will say best money making way is merchanting (if you're really good at it), you're not gaining xp at all. runecrafting double nats is slower even than slayer (rc duh), mining runite ores in good rate of few worlds is very hard and not xp rewarfull at all. other collecting materials and stuff will get you less than averge slayer xp you're getting, and of course less than all skills slayer trains at end wich alot pointed above. and if all that isn't enought, when you're reaching high slayer lvl, after doing "smoking kills", slayer points give you really big amount of cash pile.

3) maxing out - AZ'ing or zombie monkey'ing have way higher training of combat stats than slayer. but do you prefer actually play the game plus veraitey and not afking clicking and then going back to computer after 10 mins?

tbh, my slayer isn't that high, but it will one day :thumbup:

and i truly enjoy it, it have something diffrent than rest runescape skills, it's hidding abit better all the grind training way ;)

EDIT: i've read all pages, really intersting fact that 99% of posters against slayer have really high slayer...maybe they've just no life'ed it and got bored? :P

want_a_box.png

*face -> palm*

I agree and should have been a little more clear on that point. I think most players (that is, the inexperienced majority) are under the impression that Abyssal Demons are the do-all, end-all of Runescape, so that's the level they stop at. The reality is that at 90 Slayer your experience per hour increases as Dark Beasts are easily one of the better monsters to get on task. If you have 85 mining, they're probably in the top three.

@ravian: Slayer is not the best experience for Summoning, Range, or Melee. It is, however, the best experience for Summoning, Range, and Melee.

And, of course, Slayer. I'll emphasize the point that Slayer is for players who have a goal of maxing combat or total level. If you just want 99 Range or 99 Melees, you're better off doing something else. If you want 99 Summoning, you're better off doing something else. If you want all three, Slay.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

1.) I enjoy the bonus of the slayer helm

2.) I like the extra millions I make now and then cashing in slayer points for runes.

3.) I like the variety.

4.) I enjoy the pride factor of having higher slayer.

5.) I really hate camping for pure xp. Camping for drops is another thing.

6.) Seeing how many slayer tasks I have completed is cool.

7.) Part of the reason I love RS so much is the "goal" factor. I set a goal and work towards it. That is how I have most of my fun. So I go set a goal to 83/85/90 slayer and work towards it.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]