Why slayer?

Kietaro1

I spend a good bit of time lurking, only coming out every once in a while when I have something I want to know. Though it seems more frequent these days I still cannot help but ask what makes slayer so enjoyable? I mean I constantly read posts over and over regarding the greatness of this skill, and yet fail to see the allure.

Now please do not misunderstand me, I find slayer to be quite enjoyable from time to time and even boast a rather acceptable slayer level myself; I just do not see it as a stable of gameplay that keeps players coming back.

With that being said, what is it about the slayer skill that makes it enjoyable? Why do people give the cape so much respect? Why is it even seen as difficult other than time invested?

Kiettaro.png

090108162337qa2zd0.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the most diverse training of any skill. The appeal is in the variety of tasks you can get, the countless different methods you can use for completing the task, the fact that you will gain experience in atleast 3 stats at once, and the many different drops that you can get through training. Also with the addition of Summoning, slayer monsters are some of the best droppers of charms.

Campbell summed it up really, it's just diversity. Unlike almost every other skill in the game which are 'make x as it's the fastest wa untill x level', slayer has you going all over the rs world, killing all sorts of different monsters, making fair mone, fair charms, good exp.

By the way, slayer can be compred to what almost all other grind based mmo's would call 'quests', whih in those games are a big part of the game, but in runescape is just a single skill.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

If you don't enjoy it as it stands, then we're not going to be able to convince you.

So basically this is a "why do you enjoy Slayer?" thread.

I enjoy Slayer because it mixes things up instead of just camping at one monster. You get charms for Summoning, get Slayer up (whip, dragon boots?), and melee experience with a bit of range and mage on the side.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

I didnt like it too much til about 90, but then I really started having fun in it and it turned out to be probably the most fun skill I levelled. It was just the variety I liked, not a complete grind like other skills. The drops and charms are nice too :P

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

[...]what makes slayer so enjoyable?

You get to kill loads of stuff, naturally.

More to that though, it's these main factors:

1. The sense of accomplishment when you get the ability to kill something new.

2. The sense of achievement when you gain a level in a combat skill, which happens frequently with Slayer.

3. The sheer joy of receiving a rare drop (mystic robes for example, not necessarily a unique item).

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

It's combat based which most players enjoy, you get good drops, and basically have a lot of fun killing different monsters and the different challenge of each. ;)

99 Fishing achieved August 12, 2009 at 7:56PM CT

Me_Fuh_Q.png

What makes a skill fun is a personal thing. Everyone will like it for their own reasons and if you don't find that Slayer has it's own allure then I guess it's just not for you. Nothing bad about that =]

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.

Diverse.

Fun.

Something you can do with friends or by yourself at times.

Makes money.

Respect, its not so easy to train.

Great exp and charms.

Cape is sexy.

Im training it right now, i love it. I just got all stats to 70+, and was so bored grinding death runes, or catching black salamanders.

But i mean slayer, your constantly on the move getting money and exp.

Its great.

If you dont like it, thats fine, theres lots of people out there who do.

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

Lol?

I didnt mean it with any disrespect to you, i read the post, and i know you dont mind it. But i was generally speaking to everyone who doesnt like slayer reading this when i said 'if you dont like slayer..'.

And i gave my reasons, so i did as you asked.

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

Why slayer?

'Cause my attention span can be quite short at times so changing up the monster every couple hundred kills is good.

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Instead of constantly doing the same task (woodcutting, fishing, etc) you have a variety of tasks you can do which involve many different methods. You collect herbs, runes, rare items, and most importantly experience.

Say you have a task dealing with a monster that drops herbs and seeds. While killing it, you gain combat (Att, Str, Def, Magic, Range) exp along with HP experience. With the bones that it may drop you gain prayer experience. The seeds can be harvested for farming experience, while the herbs it drops can give herblore experience. Overall Slayer is a good method of overall training that I think everyone should try.

I also agree with Campy's statement above. ;)

The reason that I enjoy slayer is that it does its part in masking the fact that it's all one giant grind. Instead of skilling X Waterfiends or Y Dust Devils or even Z Abyssal Demons, I get to move around and enjoy different things to kill.

Oh, not to mention, the rewards for some of the NPCs are pretty good, too. Dragon Boots drop like candy. Orbs are plentiful from Waterfiends (and you make a profit alching them, period). Whips, Dark Bows, and Mauls are but a few things that allure many broke adventures like myself to these great beasts. And, don't get me started on the Mutated Bloodvelds - some of the best Slayer experience in the game.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Slayer is my fav skill, personally I CANNOT grind on a single monster, period. Slayer is the way I do my training, I get assigned a creature, and go beat the living ***** out of it, all while getting xp in a possible 4 skills : Att/Str/Def/Range/Mage, Summoning (Dont forget the charms) , Prayer (If you choose to bury bones that so many things drop), HP.

45,657th to 99 Range 29/09/09 , 41,018th to 99 Mage 13/11/09

rangecapecombined.gif__________________magiccapecombined.gif

waste of time in my opinion... I can make more money doing non-slayer things, I can get more combat xp doing non-slayer things, I can get more charms doing non-slayer things :|

Yes but it is a good stat for balance. It is more enjoyable than camping waterfiends for 200 hours, or sitting at AZs for countless hours.