Why slayer?

Kietaro1

i'm not a fan of slayer. it's already been said, but there are better ways to train combat, get money, and get charms.

the main thing i hate about slayer is the repetition. it seems like i always get assigned lessers, greaters, fire giants, and kalphites, with the occasional good task. if it wasn't for my cannon i wouldn't even bother training it.

There is better no long term training spot, money maker and charms combined.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not a fan of slayer. it's already been said, but there are better ways to train combat, get money, and get charms.

the main thing i hate about slayer is the repetition. it seems like i always get assigned lessers, greaters, fire giants, and kalphites, with the occasional good task. if it wasn't for my cannon i wouldn't even bother training it.

There is better no long term training spot, money maker and charms combined.

The "logical" reason for training slayer is because you want 99 slayer or maxed total. If it weren't for that, I don't think anybody would bother training on slayer tasks when going for charms/money/melee XP.

When you think about it, slayer tasks are all just a various assortment of "normal" monsters (i.e. dust devils, black demons, iron dragons, etc.). So... it could almost be said that you're just getting all your charms/profit off of killing 100,000 dust devils. But we all know that nobody trains on those monsters for reasons other than for slayer. Why don't they? Because in terms of melee XP, profit, and charms, slayer is inefficient :P

The "long term" only exists if you want 99 slayer imo

77yLQy8.png

Oh yeah, Slayer, the skill when a NPC tells me what to do, great fun

Yah who would want to do randomly assigned tasks that change every time when you could just make 100k bows for 2 weeks straight.

cba figuring out where a new monster is and how to fight it, easier to just focus on one thing... I might be biased against Slayer, though, because killing monsters can take a while with my... erm, slightly-less-than-offence oriented stats

I've always felt that Slayer and Runecrafting are the most interactive skills. Your experience per hour will always depend on how fast you react, how accurately you click, and how many energy drinks you can consume in a day. I love Slayer because I enjoy trying to get the most experience per hour possible. I enjoy it more than Runecrafting because killing stuff is fun.

If you enjoy having balanced combat stats, Slayer will always come out on top.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I've always felt that Slayer and Runecrafting are the most interactive skills. Your experience per hour will always depend on how fast you react, how accurately you click, and how many energy drinks you can consume in a day. I love Slayer because I enjoy trying to get the most experience per hour possible. I enjoy it more than Runecrafting because killing stuff is fun.

some woodcutting tactics require heaps of concentration, like dropping teaks as soon as you cut them then clicking on the tree as fast as you can.

Pit_Guardian.png

Gamertag: EFs Predator.

Games I play: Halo 3, Halo wars.

some woodcutting tactics require heaps of concentration, like dropping teaks as soon as you cut them then clicking on the tree as fast as you can.

So does mining. The best way to granite mine requires difficult timing. Zarfot has a video of it on youtube (His username on there is Tofraz). Barbarian Fishing, the fastest way to firemake, hunter does in general too, and prayer used to require it for the fastest exp through your speed and precision of offering bones on the altar. thieving (blackjacking and pp)... In fact a lot of ways to power level require a lot of concentration.

So does mining. The best way to granite mine requires difficult timing. Zarfot has a video of it on youtube (His username on there is Tofraz). Barbarian Fishing, the fastest way to firemake, hunter does in general too, and prayer used to require it for the fastest exp through your speed and precision of offering bones on the altar. thieving (blackjacking and pp)... In fact a lot of ways to power level require a lot of concentration.

IIRC Prayer and Cooking have a method where you use 2 then 2 over and over again its its faster then just doing all of your inventory.

I am fairly sure that the drop rates for rare items are slightly increased when you are doing a slayer assignment. That's one incentive, and the other incentive is that with potions and the black mask, slayer is by far the most productive method of combat training. You get experience that is only a little less than what you'd get using a Salve Amulet on zombies, and that is more than made up for by the drops, especially at 80+ slayer.

After I maxed attack and strength, I went from 94-99 defense in a little over a week of slaying, and that was only playing a few hours per day. Honestly, if you grind combat without doing it via slayer, you're either uninformed or a fool.

td2sig.jpg

I dislike the skill, but runescape is the type of game you can do what ya want, when you want. :D

~ K O N K A R ~ Konkar Jr ~ X Konkar X
99 Strength - 18/12/08 - 99 Attack - 5/2/09
99 Hp - 20/7/09 - 99 Defence 26/7/09
K_O_N_K_A_R.png

R.I.P.
K R I S K
Krisk Jr
RSC, Lives on in all of us

Slayer is my favorite skill!

The 15% boost to atk and str offered by the slayer helm are grossly underrated. Being able to kill abby demons or spirit mages with that thing means you can rack up serious money PDQ.

I love the changing pace; mage defense for abberants, pray melee for dark beasts, all out slaughter of greater demons... it's just a fun skill to work with to make a decent amount of money and not stress.

stormveritas.png

The 15% boost to atk and str offered by the slayer helm are grossly underrated. Being able to kill abby demons or spirit mages with that thing means you can rack up serious money PDQ.

I love the changing pace; mage defense for abberants, pray melee for dark beasts, all out slaughter of greater demons... it's just a fun skill to work with to make a decent amount of money and not stress.

I can't really see how this leads to slayer being a wonderful skill with depth.

Rewards? Extra strength and attack boost?

:thumbup: These are just benefits and boosts when training the skill itself, to help you get the Slayer EXP faster. But this doesn't mean that slayer is a well thought out and unique skill.

Change of pace?

:thumbup: I thought RuneScape is a game of choice, and I can choose to kill any monster of any amount at anytime, in any method. It just that most people can't be bothered to, and they need an NPC to help them change the pace a little.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Me too, i love slayer, and i regret that i didnt do it sooner. I maxed out all my combat stats to 99 then realised i was only 80 slayer. Going from 80-86 atm has got me around 8M attack exp (coming up for 23M attack exp now, all thanks to slayer) and a LOT of cash.

Lets take this abby demon trip im on now that ive nearly finished-

Drops-

1 Whip 1 Rune chainbody

2 Rune meds 300 Pure essence

2 Half Keys 100 Chaos runes

3 Ranarrs Around 10k in airs and bloods

51 Crimson charms, 2 blue charms..

Yeah thats about all worth noting down.

Right, and that trip has taken me around 2 hours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

30k Slayer exp and 110k melee exp in a little under 2 hours? (I realise thats not the best exp rates but abbys arent the best task for exp, due to their high defence)

Also with drops adding up to 2.6M?

Why not do slayer tbh?

-------------------EDIT---------------------

Second whip. Another 2.3M.

4M in 2 hours? Not bad.

Currently - Slaying to 99!

Monkeyannie.pngMonkeyannie.png

[hide=Drops]Notable drops-

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Godwars- 1 Bandos Chestplate / Shard 1 / Shard 2 / 4 Sets of ancient robes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

[hide=stormveritas]

[/hide]

:thumbup: These are just benefits and boosts when training the skill itself, to help you get the Slayer EXP faster. But this doesn't mean that slayer is a well thought out and unique skill.

Change of pace?

:thumbup: I thought RuneScape is a game of choice, and I can choose to kill any monster of any amount at anytime, in any method. It just that most people can't be bothered to, and they need an NPC to help them change the pace a little.

The Extra attack and strenght help you train your combat stats faster as well as your slayer.

And, granted it may boil down to being told by an NPC what to do, It means your more apt to explore. Why would anyone go all the way out to the Mos Le'harmless caves if not for a slayer monster. Once your out there though you might realise that they drop something thats fairly valuable and actually its a decent place to train.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

Me too, i love slayer, and i regret that i didnt do it sooner. I maxed out all my combat stats to 99 then realised i was only 80 slayer. Going from 80-86 atm has got me around 8M attack exp (coming up for 23M attack exp now, all thanks to slayer) and a LOT of cash.

Lets take this abby demon trip im on now that ive nearly finished-

Drops-

1 Whip 1 Rune chainbody

2 Rune meds 300 Pure essence

2 Half Keys 100 Chaos runes

3 Ranarrs Around 10k in airs and bloods

51 Crimson charms, 2 blue charms..

Yeah thats about all worth noting down.

Right, and that trip has taken me around 2 hours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

30k Slayer exp and 110k melee exp in a little under 2 hours? (I realise thats not the best exp rates but abbys arent the best task for exp, due to their high defence)

Also with drops adding up to 2.6M?

Why not do slayer tbh?

-------------------EDIT---------------------

Second whip. Another 2.3M.

4M in 2 hours? Not bad.

You could get those drops without doing other tasks after 85 slayer. There really isn't much of a point in levelling slayer past 83/85, besides fun.

2dvjurb.png

Change of pace?

Lol. Explain why slayer is not a well thought out and unique skill?

I cant remember the last skill where you were told good, high level monsters to kill for good exp, rewards, and cash.

And change of pace you added there? This isnt a rant, we are telling you why WE like slayer.

Dragon- 10 Platelegs / 3 Med Helms / 10 Plateskirts / 1 Spear / 3 Left Halves / 4 Claws / 3 Ruined Armour Lumps / 200+ Boots / 3 Pickaxes

Barrows- 250M+ LOOT Including 10 Spears (back in the day) / Guthans spear and Dharoks helm in 1 chest (at the time it was worth 8M, a big deal to many people then lol) / 8 Guthans helms / 3 Dharoks helms / 4 Veracs Helms / etc.

Other Slayer stuff- Whips 20 / Dark Bows 3 / Granite Mauls 20 / Ranging Ammys 6 / 1 Visage (steel dragons) / 40+ effigies

I play on and off. I'll play the game solidly for a month then quit for the next 3, lol.[/hide][/size]

I could get them without anything over 85, yes, but i like the diversity slayer offers, different places to go, nice cash rewards, good exp, so thats why i do slayer.

Change of pace?

I cant remember the last skill where you were told good, high level monsters to kill for good exp, rewards, and cash.

And change of pace you added there? This isnt a rant, we are telling you why WE like slayer.

Every other skill in the game is has a definite explanation as to what it is, and how it's train, even though some of them may be more than straight forward, such as woodcutting (= cut trees) and fishing (= catch fish). But Slayer? What is the definition of this skill exactly? What is your definition of it?

Do you even have a definition as to what the word Slayer is? Does it contradict with any of the following?

:thumbup: You kill monsters that aren't slayer-specific, and yet you gain Slayer EXP as long as they are your task target.

:thumbup: You kill monsters that ARE slayer-specific, and yet you don't gain Slayer EXP if it's not your current task.

:thumbup: You kill monsters that aren't even that different from normal monsters, except for the fact that they have a Slayer level requirement, and a few drops that could have been attached to any monster, actually.

:thumbup: You kill slayer-specific monsters in 2 giant locations where all the creatures just live happily together by wandering around in each room and level, and basically didn't antagonise or trouble any NPC at all.

:thumbup: The skill was first introduced with the tower and dungeon, and had everyone rushing to the same location until more variety of the same monsters, and more location for new slayer creatures were thought up. Either that, or your task was a normal monster.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

@ Ravian

If we were to follow your logic, everyone would be training at Armored Zombies, colored dragons or Aviansies. These places would get crowded pretty fast.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Change of pace?

Every other skill in the game is has a definite explanation as to what it is, and how it's train, even though some of them may be more than straight forward, such as woodcutting (= cut trees) and fishing (= catch fish). But Slayer? What is the definition of this skill exactly? What is your definition of it?

Do you even have a definition as to what the word Slayer is? Does it contradict with any of the following?

:thumbup: You kill monsters that aren't slayer-specific, and yet you gain Slayer EXP as long as they are your task target.

:thumbup: You kill monsters that ARE slayer-specific, and yet you don't gain Slayer EXP if it's not your current task.

:thumbup: You kill monsters that aren't even that different from normal monsters, except for the fact that they have a Slayer level requirement, and a few drops that could have been attached to any monster, actually.

:thumbup: You kill slayer-specific monsters in 2 giant locations where all the creatures just live happily together by wandering around in each room and level, and basically didn't antagonise or trouble any NPC at all.

:thumbup: The skill was first introduced with the tower and dungeon, and had everyone rushing to the same location until more variety of the same monsters, and more location for new slayer creatures were thought up. Either that, or your task was a normal monster.

Gtfo. It's just how the skill is trained. I'm sorry if Jagex didn't make it to your liking but it remains one of the most popular ways to train combat and summoning, whether you like to do it or not, or whether you think it makes sense or not.

Furthermore, following your logic, I could easily say the same about any other skill out there. Construction. What is the definition? Construction means to build or to make something. Then why can't we just make houses out of crafting? Or while we're at it, just combine smithing and crafting and fletching all into construction, since they're all building skills. Wouldn't that make more logical sense? Since, you know, we're being so literal and logical here. And what about Summoning? Couldn't that just be a part of magic? Couldn't prayer and runecrafting just be a part of magic as well? What about Slayer and Hunter? Can't we just lump those two together?

See, the thing is, you're trying to make us all agree with you that Slayer doesn't make sense in the way it's trained, and yet the hole in your argument is that most all skills in Runescape don't really make sense in how they are trained. The point of the matter is, Jagex made it so that Slayer is like a bounty skill for monsters. Surely you know what a bounty is, and if not, let me educate. Bounty is when you basically have a hit out for someone, or you are ordered or order yourself to go out and kill a specific someone or something, usually for personal gain or for payment. Slayer is this. A master tells you he wants you to rid the world of so many monsters and in return you will earn Slayer experience and whatever the monsters drop. Upon gathering this slayer experience, when you have reached enough, the slayer master will teach you how to harm more powerful monsters that will drop better treasures.

Essentially that's what it is. Think of Slayer experience as a slayer master's payment, and when you have enough of the payment, you "cash it in," to learn the secrets on how to kill more monsters for better loot.

It makes sense to me, and it makes sense to most everyone else here. There's maybe like 5 of you that are opposing slayer, which is fine, but the thing that irks me is that all of your arugments repeat themselves like broken records.

"There are better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

"No, in the overall amount of time spent, Slayer will earn more of each of these in the same amount of time than if you had done them seperately, and this is why. [insert many examples here which don't need repeating]"

"Well there are still better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

*face -> palm*

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

"There are better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

"No, in the overall amount of time spent, Slayer will earn more of each of these in the same amount of time than if you had done them seperately, and this is why. [insert many examples here which don't need repeating]"

"Well there are still better ways to train, make money and collect charms than slayer."

*face -> palm*

I'd like you to back that up with facts. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=765267

The problem with that is that no one has conclusive data that everyone in the debate agrees with. So, there will always be people yelling 'slayer sucks!' or 'slayer is awesome' without actually knowing who is right.

2dvjurb.png

I'm not saying that the Slayer skill is totally ridiculous, I'm saying that it's not well thought out, based on what it was originally meant to be in RuneScape's term.

Across RuneScape, even the most powerful adventurers will find strange beasts and weird spirits that defy ordinary combat methods. Whether through sorcery, armour or other, stranger means, these monsters are impervious to the attacks of those who have not trodden the path of the Slayer.

The Slayer skill allows you to kill those strange creatures that you may previously have thought immune to your attacks.

This is the original text from the game manual, and yet the majority of the monsters are not strange or weird, nor do they really defy ordinary combat methods.

The following slayer monsters are what I think really feels like monsters that the poorly informed and equipped players would suffer if they attempt to kill:

Banshee, Rock slug, Desert lizard, Cockatrice, Mogre, Harpie bug swarm, Wall beast, Killerwatt, Molanisk, Basilisk, Fever spider, Bloodveld, Turoth, Warped terrorbird, Warped tortoise, Mutated zygomite, Cave horror, Aberrant spectre, Dust devil, Kurask, Skeletal wyvern, Gargoyle.

Dragons are the exception to the list in that they do not have a slayer requirement, but are nevertheless dangerous without anti-dragon shield. The rest of the possible task you can get are more or less filler monsters to make sure you get something new to kill every few levels, or normal creatures that are HP punchbags.

I have a few personal encounters that I think is what makes Slayer truely shine:

1. I was slaying Bloodvelds in the Slayer Tower, and a relatively low leveled player rushed into the room filled with aberrant spectres without nosepegs or slayer helm. I saw him came back asking people for advice and saying how he almost died in there because he didn't know what was needed. This tells you not every task is a punchbag. :twisted:

2. Someone slaying bloodvelds next to me was in full rune, and eating food at a very high rate. Until I told him that they use magic-based melee attacks.

3. I tried to use Guthans at Dust Devils, even though it wasn't my first time slaying them. It just slipped of my mind, and I lost 5million back then when it meant a lot to me.

Furthermore, following your logic, I could easily say the same about any other skill out there. Construction. What is the definition? Construction means to build or to make something. Then why can't we just make houses out of crafting? Or while we're at it, just combine smithing and crafting and fletching all into construction, since they're all building skills. Wouldn't that make more logical sense? Since, you know, we're being so literal and logical here. And what about Summoning? Couldn't that just be a part of magic? Couldn't prayer and runecrafting just be a part of magic as well? What about Slayer and Hunter? Can't we just lump those two together?

Construction in RuneScape's term means building things related to your POH. Fletching means making bows and arrows, once again in Runescape's term. Crafting means the various leather, gems, glasswork, weaving. They are all SECONDARY SKILLS, that doesn't mean they are the same, so don't try putting words in my mouth when that wasn't what I mean. Runecraft is also the gathering, or production of runes, from which magic becomes the secondary skill that utilizes the runes.

If they named the skill BOUNTY, of course it's suitable for what we're doing. But it isn't, and neither is description from the game manual. And I know it's just ANOTHER skill, which is why I spent some time getting a few decent levels in it, for my highscore and whatsnot. But I still don't think it's a well thought out skill, for which i provided the reason, to the person who asked for it.

Zepheras.png

-F1775