Damn..A page ripped out of one of my library books :\

XxTearGodxX

Not really sure what I should do now..I've borrowed all 7 Harry Potter books, started reading Sorcerer's Stone and just now a page ripped off the hinge (It's paperback). Also it's very VERY worn out, it's from 2002 (it's been stamped 2002).

I'm not sure if I should call the library and notify them that a page tore out and ask if they got a more sturdy copy since I'm sure they are fed up with me since I already have 7 books on borrow.

Or if I should just return it when I'm done and hope they don't charge me a $10 dollar damage fee and just explain what happened.

It's not one of the important pages..Just the one that says "Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone" with a checkerboard background.

xxteargodxx.png

You have some options. Either take it in directly and own up at the desk, pay whatever the fees are, or just drop it into the box when you're finished. That last one has a few ways it can turn out; nobody will actually see the aforementioned ripped page, the next guy might not even see it. Or, if he does, too late. Now, if a library clerk does see that there's a page ripped out after you return it, they'll either know that it was you or just assume it had happened previously. So there's a chance you won't have to pay. Take your pick.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

If it's a seven year old book, just take it into them and they should understand (they can fix those things you know). Even if they fine you, it's only like a ten dollar book. If you own up to it they might not fine you. Otherwise drop it in the box and make sure they don't see you doing it.

I'm not sure how it works where you live, but I used to be a volunteer on the local library and there were a fair amount of books with torn off pages, but we never made anyone pay for that. I'm fairly sure that only applied if someone returned a book with a major damage, like something which made it unreadable. Just put the page where it should go and explain it to your library, they'll probably understand it. Pages rip off on old books all the time, nobody should be surprised.

concurso2mn1.jpg

Currently having a break from sig-making...

Join the campaign for more F2P bank space!

Couple of options.

1. Be honest, when you return the book explain that a page ripped out, explain the book is in poor condition and you think it would be unfair if they charged you 10$ for it as this wouldn't occur at your fault with a newer book in good condition.

2. Sellotape it back in, hopefully they wont notice.

3. Use a Stanley knife, crafting knife or a scalpel to cut out the remainder of the page so it's not noticeable it's never been there.

I shall let your principles decide what route you want to take.

Just a tip, if you're going to tape it back, don't use cellotape (this), because it tends to stain the pages when it gets worn off and won't last too much anyway (assuming the book is going to stay in the library for a couple more years). If you can, use something like the transparent paper you put on books' covers to protect them (This, I don't know how it's called in English), just cut a thin stripe and it'll do.

concurso2mn1.jpg

Currently having a break from sig-making...

Join the campaign for more F2P bank space!

My apologies if this is off-topic... but I've always wanted to know and this seems like quite a good place to ask - why on earth did they change the title of the 1st book? I really can't think of any logical reason why that was necessary but there must be something behind it.

My apologies if this is off-topic... but I've always wanted to know and this seems like quite a good place to ask - why on earth did they change the title of the 1st book? I really can't think of any logical reason why that was necessary but there must be something behind it.

I don't know how accurate but wikipedia says it was to make children want to read it more. Apparently, anything to do with Philosophers is a no-go to kids.

Read under USA publication and reception

Having done work experience in a library and unofficially working for my school librarian, I'd have to say if you think the librarians there are nice then own up. Also take the page back, they may be able to fix it.

If it's not an important page they might just leave it anyway, I mean, the kids aren't going to be bothered it's missing.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Just return the book and tell them what happened and pay for it. You'll remove the annoyance of them possibly calling you in to pay for it. If you try to slip by you could cause a whole chain reaction of obnoxious but not-very-serious incidents including someone else paying the $10, someone else not knowing what happens in the book, etc. It would be damn selfish to just turn the book in and hope no one notices.

wl7w9j.png

someone else not knowing what happens in the book, etc.

Because the title page holds such key information. Just turn it in as is, put the page in the book, it'll be fine.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

There's several things you could do, you could give it in and if they notice, say it was already like that, you could go to the library and try to explain it, and if they tell you you need to pay the fee and just pay it, or you could try and tape the page in yourself. plus everything everyone else mentioned.

Don't pay for it, and hope they don't find it.

This. It wasn't your fault so why the hell should you pay for it?

Who cares who's (whose?) fault it was? He did it, he should be responsible and pay for it. Saying "it was an accident" should NOT be an excuse. Going with that logic, North Korea could nuke America then say "well, we didn't mean to, there was a technical error that set the bombs off, so it's not really our fault so you guys should just forgive us." Sounds pretty ridiculous doesn't it? And who knows, even if he does explain the situation, he might not have to pay for it. The librarians might be nice and let it slide since it's only a title page.

Karma points/saving other people from similar annoyance > $10

wl7w9j.png

Going with that logic, North Korea could nuke America then say "well, we didn't mean to, there was a technical error that set the bombs off, so it's not really our fault so you guys should just forgive us."

Because ripping an insignificant page out of a book and dropping a nuclear bomb on the USA are pretty similar :wall:

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13