The Ban on Minigame Clans?

GlowinRedM

This is why i <3: BA, the smartest way to play is the way it's supposed to be played

As for the stacked games, to me they just seem like a different form of grinding, and unless there's something that i don't know about, there's no reason for them not to stay open. However, i wouldn't mind it if Jagex altered the game a little, making it harder, but more fun

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But does their "cheating" actually change the way that you play the game? Are items harder to buy? Are your ways of making money/training now utterly obselete? Are you having less fun because others are fixing games? None of the current minigames that are commenly fixed cause these problems to players on any significant scale, which means that they have little effect on you. Though they may irritate/irk/annoy you, they have no appreciiable effect on you, so just move on and do your own thing.

If I'm playing GOP normally to get some SOP rewards such as tablets and clothing, and this guy next to me is doing the same thing, except he plays 50/50 games instead, and getting tokens at a faster and more regular rate, would I not be affected? Let's say that both of us happens to be training Runecrafting using GOP, he's training at a faster rate compared to me, am I not affected?

If I don't support 75k tricking and only do legit PKing, but everyone around me is doing so, and getting a constant flow of money for literally no effort. My GP depreciates every day, I don't get constant profit from PKing, and supplies cost more than ever, am I not affected by it?

If you compare the 50/50 games to the whole RuneScape gaming population, of course there's little link between the two. But if you compare the two groups for each of the scenario I've given, then yes there is an effect: players are compelled by the rewards to bypass the original gameplay for better profits, which is cheating. The appreciable effect comes into play when you're going to participate in the same event, and now have to choose whether to cheat or play the normal way, which are choices that should have never been there at all.

It's like botting (for personal use, for the levels, not the sweat shop gold farming thingy), if a friend of yours powerlevels his various skills quickly by leaving the computer on for 24/7, and there isn't a rule to ban botters, he would have reached maxed skills faster than you could have ever achieved playing normally. Effectively he is having fun gaining fast levels without effort, you're annoyed by him, and by your flawed agrument you should move on because items are not harder to buy, your money making methods aren't becoming obsolete, and you're not having any less fun?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

To be honest, I have no idea why competitive minigames have rewards.

Cooperative? Sure. Fishing Trawler, Pest Control, etc can be used effectively to net massive amounts of experience and materials. It also fosters interaction between players.

But competitive games have a problem - the winner gets stuff, and the loser fails. So, what does the loser do? He either joins the winning team, or he leaves. There are two ways to keep this from happening. Either remove the rewards, or remove the competition. Otherwise, the players will take steps to make everyone a winner (to make everyone stay).

Take a look at the successful competitive minigames - Castle Wars and Clan Wars. People have lots of fun, and there's very little fixing. Why? Because of the reasons stated before - the rewards are lame, so the only thing that people play for is the fun of the game. Same thing with Clan Wars. There aren't any rewards, so people just have fun with it. But put actual rewards into a competitive game and people will stop caring about the game itself. They want to get the top reward and go back to doing whatever else they wanted to do. That's why the Great Orb Project and Mobilization Armies (and to a lesser extent Stealing Creation) are such flops in this regard - the only way to actually get some sort of value out of the game is to play it in a manner that wasn't intended by the creators.

If Jagex wants to keep making competitive games that are both fun and competitive, they have to get rid of the rewards. Otherwise, why bother? If the rewards are the only reason to play, then it's not a game - it's a big multiplayer quest.

After all, if the game is actually good enough, people will play it on its own merits rather than the rewards it brings. Shouldn't that be the point of a minigame?

Astaroth51.png

signc6.png

Jagex is picking too many fights I think. First RWT, then merchants, then AFKers, and now minigame clans! I'm not saying all those listed are good groups, I just think jagex is getting their hands way dirtier than they should be.

Is'nt it cleaner? As all they're trying to do is make fair game.

Alright, I'm gonna post what I posted on RSOF, I'm sure you can all figure out from there:

I've locked your thread as you are purposefully trying to fix games not were not meant to be fixed. Also playing this games in this manner is not in the spirit of fair gameplay.

This is a joke right? Someones going to jump out from behind a bush and yell "punk'd" righttt? I mean bloody hell comeon. If they are so worried about the spirit of the game then take away Mercher Clans. They are the biggest problem at the moment. The mini game is still being enjoyed as it was intended by most players, others just looking for tickets play it a different game. These gams are here to be played the way we want them. This is getting really [bleep]ing crazy. Any more idiocy like this BS and im giving up on RS.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

**Thanks to Boo_Boy666 for my amazing Singnature**

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

[hide=Guides by Slaytanicc]Aviansie Maging + Ranging Guide (Must Read!!)

Iron Mining + Banking Guide

Green Dragons Guide

Ankou Slaying Guide[/hide]

Alright, I'm gonna post what I posted on RSOF, I'm sure you can all figure out from there:

I've locked your thread as you are purposefully trying to fix games not were not meant to be fixed. Also playing this games in this manner is not in the spirit of fair gameplay.

This is a joke right? Someones going to jump out from behind a bush and yell "punk'd" righttt? I mean bloody hell comeon. If they are so worried about the spirit of the game then take away Mercher Clans. They are the biggest problem at the moment. The mini game is still being enjoyed as it was intended by most players, others just looking for tickets play it a different game. These gams are here to be played the way we want them. This is getting really [bleep] crazy. Any more idiocy like this BS and im giving up on RS.

How about reading the previous few posts, and post some constructive criticism? You're acting like one of the regular "OMG this update is FAIL! FIX MERCH CLAN" players who post regardless of what the update was. I'm kinda wondering when you'll actually give up on RS. -.-

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

This is a joke right? Someones going to jump out from behind a bush and yell "punk'd" righttt? I mean bloody hell comeon. If they are so worried about the spirit of the game then take away Mercher Clans. They are the biggest problem at the moment. The mini game is still being enjoyed as it was intended by most players, others just looking for tickets play it a different game. These gams are here to be played the way we want them. This is getting really [bleep] crazy. Any more idiocy like this BS and im giving up on RS.

Well Slay, like ravian said. there's been a whole lot of discussion going on on this thread, but it's not about "z0mg rather fix merch clans"... It's not that easy. The thing is, is that merch clans don't operate through RSOF. They operate through cc's (and probably some fansites). It's hard to handle a merching clanchat, because if you ban one account, another will be made. Closing threads is something Jagex has more control over.

Btw I'm sure Jagex is working out some way to get merching out of runescape. I just hope it's not going to be more limits. In the meanwhile they do have other things working, other bugs/flaws in the game and minigames that they fix.

A priority would probably be merching clans yes, but it also requires alot more thinking. and more time. And more waiting.

So be patient, I'm sure merch clans, like large scale RWT and macroing will be banned from the game soon.

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

Difficult one this.............

For me if the games were designed correctly in the first place much of this couldn t happen. I am not going to say it is right to "fix" games as that isn t in the spirit of the game really, but it can be useful otherwise there is a possibility that some wouldn t be played at all. There are some real good and valid points on both sides of the arguement and the way forward would be for Jaggex to take into account these key points and perhaps integrate them into the gameplay of mini games and in terms of the rewards recieved by those taking part (if any).

With Cwars if both sides are fixing the games then it is obvious that the reward for taking part in the game is not enough and they need to up the number of tickets for completing a game regardless of result and make more ticket rewards for what you do in the game again not linked to the result then just have a 2:1 on the result, I am sure most people could live with that as they be getting a far greater return in tickets for taking part and completing a game of cwars and the winners still get something for winning to, just the gulf won t be so big and there are more ways of getting tickets than merely by winning.

With SC it can be nice to just sit there collecting clay but for me it does take the edge off the game as in a proper game you know someone or a group may come along and spoil your day so you take precautions and keep vigilant and if needs be you unleash your full arsenal of cb skills upon them :) However if Jaggex did not want people to fix this game then put a third and maybe a fourth team in every game of NPCs that have comparable combat and skills that will play the game in the way intended no more fixed SC games.

They have tweaked the great orb game but apparently just by attracting an orb is active game play so people are already apparently getting round that supposed tweak to the game play. Here again they could do something along the lines of making it more rewarding merely for taking part - sounds a bit left wing and non competitive lol but the winners would still recieve slightly more.

Resistance is futile Jaggex are the Borg they will hide your posts and assimilate your good ideas.

And remember it is only a game and as long as you are having loads of fun like I do with me TKOE clan buds does it really matter who gets to 99 first we all on the same journey some will arrive before the rest of you - too much rush spoils the journey :)

ged_deschain.png

I hate how they've added an activity bar to GOP. :x No more 100/0 games for me I guess.

I never play GOP on w61. It's annoying getting teamed up with people that repel their own orbs, make orbs get stuck behind pillars etc... it's frustrating and anything but fun. 50/50s were fun, because the people that were unfamiliar with the game could practice a bit. 1 on 1 games were great fun too, because there weren't any annoying people around to screw the orb spawns over. Let Jagex work on that too. :roll: No more GOP for me for a while I guess.

Ah well, I found something to replace GOP with: Stealing Creation. Great fun if you have ancients \'

I hate how they've added an activity bar to GOP. :x No more 100/0 games for me I guess.

I never play GOP on w61. It's annoying getting teamed up with people that repel their own orbs, make orbs get stuck behind pillars etc... it's frustrating and anything but fun. 50/50s were fun, because the people that were unfamiliar with the game could practice a bit. 1 on 1 games were great fun too, because there weren't any annoying people around to screw the orb spawns over. Let Jagex work on that too. :roll: No more GOP for me for a while I guess.

Ah well, I found something to replace GOP with: Stealing Creation. Great fun if you have ancients \'

I like it since a certain 100% win GOP clan opened back up. Although, I had no problem with 50/50 clans as it was. They may have even kept pure essence prices down a bit. I wonder if they're rising.. *checks GE databse*

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Well Slay, like ravian said. there's been a whole lot of discussion going on on this thread, but it's not about "z0mg rather fix merch clans"... It's not that easy. The thing is, is that merch clans don't operate through RSOF. They operate through cc's (and probably some fansites). It's hard to handle a merching clanchat, because if you ban one account, another will be made. Closing threads is something Jagex has more control over.

Btw I'm sure Jagex is working out some way to get merching out of runescape. I just hope it's not going to be more limits. In the meanwhile they do have other things working, other bugs/flaws in the game and minigames that they fix.

A priority would probably be merching clans yes, but it also requires alot more thinking. and more time. And more waiting.

So be patient, I'm sure merch clans, like large scale RWT and macroing will be banned from the game soon.

so you guys are telling me that its less hastle to go through hundreds of RSOF threads and look for one post that offers "tie cc's" rather than spending a minute on any world at the GE looking for for 10 people spamming Merch Clan CC's? Its not that hard. Ban the CC holder, if another is created, ban that. Keep on banning till they get the point. If they don't ever get the point just keep on banning. Sooner or later it will die down. I can't offer any constuctive critisism on the fact that people are more worried about "the spirit" of the game rather than "the rules" of the game. As said a few post earier "Is'nt it cleaner? As all they're trying to do is make fair game", when you oin a 50/50 cc you know what youre getting yourself into. You join the cc for the soul purpose of tying a game. In the end all is fair. Like another previous poster said, why fix something thats not broken? Sure, it might have some imperfections, but everything does.

demonic.png

comment-1.jpg

**Thanks to Boo_Boy666 for my amazing Singnature**

[hide=Slaytanicc's Achievments]|99Cooking achieved 24Dec 2008|99Strength achieved 17Feb 2009|99Hit Points achieved 8April 2009|

|99Defense achieved 29May 2009|99Attack achieved 2August 2009|99Ranged achieved 14August 2009|[/hide]

[hide=Guides by Slaytanicc]Aviansie Maging + Ranging Guide (Must Read!!)

Iron Mining + Banking Guide

Green Dragons Guide

Ankou Slaying Guide[/hide]

so you guys are telling me that its less hastle to go through hundreds of RSOF threads and look for one post that offers "tie cc's" rather than spending a minute on any world at the GE looking for for 10 people spamming Merch Clan CC's? Its not that hard. Ban the CC holder, if another is created, ban that. Keep on banning till they get the point. If they don't ever get the point just keep on banning. Sooner or later it will die down. I can't offer any constuctive critisism on the fact that people are more worried about "the spirit" of the game rather than "the rules" of the game. As said a few post earier "Is'nt it cleaner? As all they're trying to do is make fair game", when you oin a 50/50 cc you know what youre getting yourself into. You join the cc for the soul purpose of tying a game. In the end all is fair. Like another previous poster said, why fix something thats not broken? Sure, it might have some imperfections, but everything does.

but that doesn't solve the problem does it? the problem with merchers is that they're on a far greater scale then minigame fixers. So they close down the threads, followed by an update to GOP. same will happen with merchers at some point. but banning accounts takes alot more energy. Also, you may ban the owner of the merch cc but they can easily switch to a different account of a friend or whatever. In that way it's something comparable to macroers of the old days. Ban one, and a new one takes it's place. but that doesn't fix the problem of merching,it will still go on, and they won't give up as long as they can make their account wealthy with it. Jagex isn't letting the merchers do whatever they want, they're working on it, because they know merching has a great impact on the economy. I think a chnnge to the grand exchange system is at hand.

It's not as simple as just making ppl follow the rules of the game, if it's something in the runescape game design they have a lot of programming and testing to do. That's why it took so long to get rid of RWT'ing and botting, because they needed alot of testing and (re-)programming. The grand exchange is probably one of the hardest things, because it goes over the different worlds at the same time.

Alot of ppl say "why fix something that isn't broken" but at the same time they say "it's a flaw in runescape design, why shouldn't we use it, it's not against the rules". If it's a flaw in the design, then Jagex, owner of runescape (and your account), has a right, and to alot of players a duty to fix that flaw.

siggya.th.png

xprozaccx.png

RIP my main Xprozaccx.

Still Dreaming of Farming Cape

Confucius say: "Crowded elevator smell different to a midget" xD

ow Just read it all and its kind of right 50-50 isn't truly fair, but jagex could have spent time on more needed updates.

And to the game fixing comments, I'm sure most of us have heard of crashing sw thatclan destroys the themed worlds(if you don't know check the worlds when they aren't in game you'll see over 100 people in one team spamming to join a cc for 9zeal/hour while the other side is empty and losing hard.) and if you do organize a legit mini-game(10v10) it is more than likely you will get crashed. And that is a shame because I really liked that game, it has good rewards and is pretty fun to play.

voidpic.png

[hide=stats]jakerules209.png[/hide]