Should the GE be removed?

Atom Smash40

Ok, I know this will never happen, but I wanna see your opinions.

My stand: pro-removal.

I made my character 2 years before the GE was created, and frankly, I did not have much trouble buying raw materials for whatever I was doing at the time. I see the GE as a crutch for many of those lazy players. Yes, it does make buying things easier, but I personally believe it causes more problems than it solves.

Solved

- Easy access to buy virtually anything and everything

- Less time spent advertising your sell/purchase, more time doing other things

Created

- Rare item prices have dropped. I rememeber when the Blue Partyhat was 600M, and when the Santa Hat was 25M. Granted the Santa is on the rise, but the partyhats have suffered. Now, I personally see this as a bad thing (you may not), as though they might still represent wealth, they don't represent it in the way they used to. I mean, the Elysian spirit shield costs more than all of them. I would love to see the prices go back up so the game's elites can feel elite again. Removal of the GE would most likely help the prices rise.

- Manipulation. Enough said.

- Merchanting is much harder. In the days of old, a merchant could buy a [rare] item at a low cost and sell it at a higher price (not much, mind you) and make profit. They would just have to keep doing this over and over and make a handsome income. Now, prices are set with cielelings (sp?) that you can do that anymore. I repsected the merchants. They played a risky game; having to buy at the lowest price that the seller would go and then sell it for higher somewhere else. But if they bought it for too much, they'd lose money on it. What made this possible was the fact that there were no set prices for items. Just understood prices, and I think the economy ran smoothly on that. It was a good way to make money, and it drove the rares economy

- Skilling is no longer profitable. What I mean is that the raw materials should never cost more than the finishe product. The GE isn't entirely to blame, what with people wanting 99s faster and all, but I remember crafting jewelry for some petty cash, and now I can't even make that little money off it. And why? Because of the GE's price determination

You may not see eye to eye on my reasons, but that's what I think. Yes, I do use the GE, and it does make life easier, but when I see those godswords shoot up 10M in one week, it kinda pisses me off. And I believe the economy worked just fine without it, even if it was a tad slow.

Your thoughts?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Yes, it might bring about manipulation, but honestly, isn't manipulation easy to solve?

Rare item prices might have dropped, and you're blaming it on the GE? I don't see HOW the GE could affect rare item prices, other than the fact that it's easier to get a rare.

Makes merchanting harder? Are you crazy? With all those charts and "modern" conveniences, merchanting is much easier.

As much as i loved pre GE rs. its a massive step back. the game is evolving and like others have said without free trade there will be problems.

Personally i think that the GE needs at least one more location... My my things have changed since i started in 04.

I don't really remember what it was like to not have the GE, but from what I've heard, it sounded pretty bad.

I mean, standing in a bank saying "Selling blahblahblah 70k" gets really boring. With the GE, you just put it in and go do something else.

If GE was taken off, Runescape would change a lot, and I like the way it is right now. But I still dislike merchanters.

Kayla_Whirl.png

Kayla_Whirl.png

99 Agility Achieved : 9/7/09

Everyone is using the GE nowadays. Because it's easy. Yeah sure, manipulation ain't good, but using the GE is incredibly convenient.

Removing it would be the worst thing Jagex could do.

But I still dislike merchanters.

its not merchanting. its manipulating. theyre are in no way synonomous

modmarkl.jpg

But I still dislike merchanters.

its not merchanting. its manipulating. theyre are in no way synonomous

This. A merchant is someone that watches the market and tries to predict wether it's going up or down, he can loose alot but also gain alot. Manipulators is the clans that just use raw money to buy out everything so the price raise that way instead. In other words, the merchant does in no way raise or drop the price, he just buys for his own gains.

Removing G.E would be a huge step backwards and should not be removed. However they could implement some anti-manipulating stuff.

Wexexx.png

Wexexx.png

I could have sworn when I was at banks and stuff before the GE, that people were selling santas for like 1m, and phats were between 10m-20m...maybe I'm wrong, it was a while ago but I don't remember them being so high.

that was a long long time ago. back in like 2005-2006, phats were between 200-600m and santa was 25m

modmarkl.jpg

I don't really remember what it was like to not have the GE, but from what I've heard, it sounded pretty bad.

I mean, standing in a bank saying "Selling blahblahblah 70k" gets really boring. With the GE, you just put it in and go do something else.

If GE was taken off, Runescape would change a lot, and I like the way it is right now. But I still dislike merchanters.

You'd use the forums or go to Varrock centre/Fally.

Zerker_jane.png

and would make the RSOF crash with rants ( perhaps the best part of removing the GE :P ).

That might be the ONLY good to come of this removal, actually.

I, too, think it should stay. I never liked standing around saying "Selling [item] for [money]" a hundred times before anybody even takes notice. I used the marketplace on these forums, more often than not.

Without free trade, it just wouldn't work. Merchanting might take a bit longer, now, but it is not really any harder. And the GE is not at all to blame for raw materials costing more than the finished product. That was more a problem caused by skill capes.

And the GE is not at all to blame for raw materials costing more than the finished product. That was more a problem caused by skill capes.

I believe that GE caused more trouble to that than skillcapes. Some transformation skills were profitable when there was no ge but there was skillcapes, if you were smart and found the right buyer... But it was in fact a combination of a hell lot of things...

For cooking, Cook-x, GE, skillcapes and PC/SW ( which allow people to train whitout food) ruined it.

For smithing, both GE/Skillcapes and the fact that Rune is not exacly the best anymore.

Fletching, Herblore... not much different.

What i would like to see is GE's in other areas such as Ardy... having 70% of the players in the same area all the time is not a very good thing.

And the GE is not at all to blame for raw materials costing more than the finished product. That was more a problem caused by skill capes.

I believe that GE caused more trouble to that than skillcapes. Some transformation skills were profitable when there was no ge but there was skillcapes, if you were smart and found the right buyer... But it was in fact a combination of a hell lot of things...

For cooking, Cook-x, GE, skillcapes and PC/SW ( which allow people to train whitout food) ruined it.

For smithing, both GE/Skillcapes and the fact that Rune is not exacly the best anymore.

Fletching, Herblore... not much different.

What i would like to see is GE's in other areas such as Ardy... having 70% of the players in the same area all the time is not a very good thing.

No offense, but that is stupid.

The Grand Exchange DID NOT make much of a difference to causing raw materials to cost more than the finished product.

The main factor was skillcapes, and people's greed for a 99 and bragging rights.

The GE only made it more convenient for people who want to get a 99 in a skill to buy raw materials and to turn them into "finished products". People would have bought their materials and sold their "finished products" all the same even if there was no GE. It would just have been slower. However, speed DOES NOT matter here.

The GE shouldn't be removed. The price limits should be removed. I always thought that I wouldn't care about all those bots for the old wilderness and trade system, the only thing that changed is that there is now a PKing system that's even better than the old wildy (you actually risk something now or get no reward). Bots should be fought by removing the accounts themselves, just because Jagex is too lazy to find a way to monitor them doesn't mean players should suffer for it.

Got to go, the "get over it"-crew is coming.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

The G.E. is just needed to undergo some renovations. What you may ask, I'm not sure. What they should fix however, I'm certain of. The ability for items to be manipulated to sky high amounts just blows my mind. True, supply and demand seemed like a good way to do things, simulating and actual economy. Now however, people are able to take advantage of this.

I enjoy the G.E., it just needs to be a way for players to not affect it to the extremes we can.

May_Signature_by_sethyroth.jpg

Reality continues to ruin my life.

• 4 months later...

The GE shouldn't be removed. The price limits should be removed. I always thought that I wouldn't care about all those bots for the old wilderness and trade system, the only thing that changed is that there is now a PKing system that's even better than the old wildy (you actually risk something now or get no reward). Bots should be fought by removing the accounts themselves, just because Jagex is too lazy to find a way to monitor them doesn't mean players should suffer for it.

I agree that the GE shouldn't be removed, but it wouldn't work without price limits. If you removed the price limits then RWT might come back :ohnoes:

Jagex could have implemented a better system to combat RWT instead of price limits...

RS needs anti-trust laws or something of that sort in order to prevent another Great Depression...

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

Everything in Runescape was changed when the GE came around, most of which was for the better. The only things I think it ruined was crafting and herblore. You used to make money buying herbs and making pots, now you can't. You used to take your diamonds, rubies, etc and make amulets then enchant them for lots of money. Now, diamonds are 16K? Amulets of Power barely sell for 2K? I suppose that does stop people from power-leveling crafting for profit though.

Are you crazy? The ge should NOT be removed. It is an awesome trading convenience. You can do something else while you are waiting to have your items bought/sold.

Without it, you'll just waste your time going "sell law rune 1k".

Rares? Lol, why should you care about them? They are an utter waste of money.

What should be removed though, is merchanting clans and manipulation clans. Both involve tons of advertisers (all of which who bot), and affect prices in mass.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention