Any Hip-Hop/Rap listeners?

Haneet

Can anyone recommend me any good rap albums? My gf is into rap and I know nothing about it :(

Reflection Eternal by Talib Kweli and Dj Hi-Tek is really great. Also the new Kanye West album is worth a try. And darn, I read about this Canadian rapper in the papers not too long ago, but I can't remember his name, but from what was written on there it seemed worth a try, maybe somebody else knows it?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wu-Tang Clan, Eminem, Kanye West, DMX, Memphis Bleek, Ja Rule, Jadakiss, Cypress Hill, Ludacaris, Talib Kweli, Dr. Dre, Immortal Technique, some songs off 50 Cent and The Game...

Umm, can't think of anything else that I like.

I listen to hip-hop if I happen to catch it on TV or radio. As for rap, I usually avoid it like the plauge, other than a select few which I don't really remember what the titles are right now, most rap I heard is usually just about bling and [garden tool]

image1ne5.png

Can anyone recommend me any good rap albums? My gf is into rap and I know nothing about it :(

Tell her to get an Audioscrobbler plugin and then look at her reccomended bands ^_^

She's not into computer stuff like that. Heck, I don't even know what that is :oops:

Reflection Eternal by Talib Kweli and Dj Hi-Tek is really great. Also the new Kanye West album is worth a try. And darn, I read about this Canadian rapper in the papers not too long ago, but I can't remember his name, but from what was written on there it seemed worth a try, maybe somebody else knows it?

Hah, thanks. I'm going to fhm(sp? i keep forgetting this thing ><) this Saturday to buy some CDs.

All you Kanye West fans out there, explain to me how you can listen to someone who says "George Bush hates black people?" I know it should be about the music and many artists I listen too are [bleep]s in real life, but c'mon. That's the stupidest comment I have ever heard.

I listen to his music, not his emotionally fuelled diplomacy. His actions don't in anyway constitute his ability to make great music.

(I'm not making a comment on the matter you raised, though, don't wanna start straying off-topic)

I really don't care what an artist does politically, it's all good as long it doesn't affect the music.

You could debate that most (rock) stars are stupid too, because they often use drugs, yet they should set an example because they got so many followers. Really Ryan, give up your quest to bash rap music. You don't like it, some people do, learn to live with it. :P

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I really don't care what an artist does politically, it's all good as long it doesn't affect the music.

You could debate that most (rock) stars are stupid too, because they often use drugs, yet they should set an example because they got so many followers. Really Ryan, give up your quest to bash rap music. You don't like it, some people do, learn to live with it. :P

Hey now. I commented in my post that many of the artists I listen to are [bleep]s in real life, I just thing that comment was way out there. And I didn't complain once about rap music in my post so :P, I've gone like a week now without complaining.

Anyway, I'll stop posting in this thread since I'm so far off topic.

The Hip-hop RnB on the charts today has lost touch with it's roots. I like some of the older, original rap, in terms of RnB R. Kelly i like, and Eminem for rap that's still going.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

All you Kanye West fans out there, explain to me how you can listen to someone who says "George Bush hates black people?" I know it should be about the music and many artists I listen too are [bleep]s in real life, but c'mon. That's the stupidest comment I have ever heard.

I listen to his music, not his emotionally fuelled diplomacy. His actions don't in anyway constitute his ability to make great music.

(I'm not making a comment on the matter you raised, though, don't wanna start straying off-topic)

and because I always keep to myself, i wont raise on the topic either

lmao just kiddin of course i will..

Being a republican and also into hip-hop rap, i simply listen to the beat of a song if it's against the war or bush or whatever. For instance "mosh" by Eminem is anti-bush, but I still listen to it because I like the beat of it.

You shouldn't let the artists political's beliefs prevent you from buying none-the-less

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop. I like D-12, Eminem, 50 cent, The Game, Mike Jones, Akon, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West, 2pac, G-Unit, and a lot of others. My favorite songs are My Ballz:D-12(Longest Yard Soundtrack), Like Toy Soliders:Eminem, My Toy Soldier:50 Cent, How we Do:The Game feat. 50 Cent, Back Then:Mike Jones, Go to Sleep:Eminem(Cradle To The Grave Soundtrack), Colt 45:Afroman, and Gold Digger:Kanye West

Being a republican and also into hip-hop rap, i simply listen to the beat of a song if it's against the war or bush or whatever. For instance "mosh" by Eminem is anti-bush, but I still listen to it because I like the beat of it.

Heh, odd how much we have in common. I am completely pro George Bush, but I love the song "mosh" by Eminem. Its a great song, regardless. Some other noteables right now:

Kanye West

Jadakiss

Birdman

Lil Wayne

T.I.

The Game

Paul Wall

Tony Yayo

Common

etc, but those artists are just on my recent playlist right now....so yeah. That's basically who I'm listening to in terms of rap right now. I've also really been into R&B these past years, so right now I'm also listening a lot to:

John Legend

Trey Songz

Avant

Marques Houston

:P

Ray J

signaturecj5.jpg

I love Kanye Wests music but people who say he doesn't sing about the glamourous sides of rap have no idea? You say Kanye went back to singing about his roots like the other greats because of Jesus walks and All falls down? Look at new song? Gold digger, amazing absolutly awsome but along the same lines as 50 cent it's girls and money just not as crap as 50 cent.

Eminem, in my opinion, used to be great but then started gettin further mainstream and just raps about useless stuff now when he used to make productive music.

G-Unit, in my opinion, are just shyt. They just took the whole gansta/money/etc angle and overplayed it. To those who enjoy G-Unit, try listening to their lyrics - they're really poor. But I did like Outta Control (Mobb Deep / 50 Cent) cause it had a nice beat to it.

Eminem started to rap about MORE serious things the farther he got into his career. You don't see him rapping about ball cancer anymore now, do you?

And yes, I despise G-Unit. They claim to be gangsta, but theyr'e far from it. And I heard 50 cent has a bulletproof car; Oh.. so gangsta.

I don't call songs like "ass like that" too serious either... But yeah, what I'm saying is taht most of his better songs were quite a while ago, and while he has gotten more serious in some occasions (eg. toy soldiers - lot more serious approach), he is also starting to go more mainstream.

And G-Unit is just [cabbage].

It could possibly be "Classified". He's a rapper from the Maritimes. A lot of his stuff is actually pretty good.

I really don't like rap at all except for some small exceptions

Eminem is cool because I enjoy his humor and at times he really actually raps about his life and shows his personal side. These days you see all these rappers just rapping to make themselves look good.

Snoop Dog is just cool.

finally...a rap topic lol...i am a rap fan , first of all i love tupac got all his albums as well...and a lot of people that posted in this topic(dont take this the wrong way) but you rant about mainstream music and by the listings some of u put up all u listen to is mainstream music, i listen to everything but lemme give u a little list of my fav rappers

TUPAC

chamillionaire

Game

Dr dre

kanye(hes pretty good)

cassidy(you have to listen to his underground sh*t before u bash on him,crazy lyricist)

lil wayne

just to name a few...but a definate thing i must agree on is...rap is losing its edge, why are all this dumba$$ talkin about money n clubs n sh*t, i remember those days when tupac used to rap about keepin ya head up, n his philosiphies on life n wat not, im tired of EVERYONE in g-unot ,tired of mike jones i mean everyone thinks rap is about cars jewelry, rap is about the lyrics that give u a better perspective on things, i remember when rap used to be a tool of expressing yourself, now its a tool on how stupid you can sound by talkin about useless sh*t like girls n money, i mean yah some of the rapers ive listed have done those things, but when it comes down to it they all straight G's ..

~ZeLoT~

Heh, odd how much we have in common. I am completely pro George Bush, but I love the song "mosh" by Eminem. Its a great song, regardless. Some other noteables right now:

Kanye West

Jadakiss

Birdman

Lil Wayne

T.I.

The Game

Paul Wall

Tony Yayo

Common

etc, but those artists are just on my recent playlist right now....so yeah. That's basically who I'm listening to in terms of rap right now. I've also really been into R&B these past years, so right now I'm also listening a lot to:

John Legend

Trey Songz

Avant

Marques Houston

:P

Ray J

in the year plus now that I've known you, I have never disagreed with you :lol:

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I think Kanye West and Jazzy Pha are two of the most underrated producers in the industry.

Kanye definetly is, but where I live (Chicago), he definetly isn't. Jazzy Pha on the other hand has done so much. (Pac, Ciara, etc.) I wouldn't call him underated, he is a big name in hip hop productions.

Also, I was reading this thread and came across a post that mentioned the song "Mosh" by Eminem. I do like the song, and I am a republican. He's just saying his opinion in a...drastic way.

I listen to alot of rap but, here are my top 3 favorite artists:

Tupac

Kanye West

Nas

I like them because their lyrics are so true to life.

Oh, by the way, has anybody bought the latest Nas Album? (Streets Disciple) It's awful! It really dissapointed me, there was too much sexual talk then worldly issues which is what he usually talks about. I only like about 3 out of what, 21 tracks? They were "Just A Moment", "Virgo", and "Bridging the Gap". All the other ones were poor rapping or bad singing.

I love Kanye Wests music but people who say he doesn't sing about the glamourous sides of rap have no idea? You say Kanye went back to singing about his roots like the other greats because of Jesus walks and All falls down? Look at new song? Gold digger, amazing absolutly awsome but along the same lines as 50 cent it's girls and money just not as crap as 50 cent.

I really think Kanye West's new album isn't as good as his first album. However, in Late Registration he does have alot of artists I like featured with him. As for College Dropout, I LOVED it. In my opinion, Through the Wire is an amazing song. People may not think so because they think "The chorus is stupid". He made a song with his mouth wired shut! He also says alot of things that actually make sense and are true to life, which is what I look for in a rap artist, along with a good beat.

Ok, I have made 3 replys in a row and I will stop posting now. Sorry, I just have alot to say about the rap game. :oops: