Unjustified censorship!

Romy

I'm glad thoose words are censored. I hate censorship, but the RS community is so damn immature that theese words would bring nothing good. Even homossexual people themselves would want the words back censored.

Now, since this topic is turning into a debate about gay people...

If you think being gay is "unnatural", please define what "unnatural" means to you... There are gays in all animal kingdoms, it's something normal in nature O_o

I don't know why people think "unnatural" is bad though, clothes are unnatural, yet we like them.

And the "former-gays" people you know, they are either gays/bissexual and are fooling themselves, or they were people who were in doubt about their sexuality and though they were gay even though they weren't, or they are wierd people with the ability to change how their brain works. Ask any actual gay around, being gay is something you are born with, it's part of their nature.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not born that way. That is utter BS. I have talked to a number of people who were formerly gay, and they all state that it was unnatural. Hate and death? People get made fun of for being fat, or skinny, or dumb, or smart. It may not be good, but it is a part of life.

I am really sorry here, formally gay? what happened did they go into rehab? you're talking utter nonsense here.

People are born that way. people pick on others flaws to better themselves, when inside they're more insecure than anything.

I'm straight but I have many gay friends, and they're human like the rest of us what your sexuality is doesn't really change anything.

It's YOUR intolerance that causes problems.

I have no problem with other people being gay. None at all. However, I do have a problem with people saying there is nothing they can do about it. I believe they can change if they chose. They don't have to, but they can if they want. People who are kleptomaniacs can choose not to steal. Not the best analogy, but you get the picture. I simply hate the whole "I am a victim because of this and this and this." attitude society has adopted. You are responsible for what you do with your life. Don't blame others. If you want to change, you can. Drug addicts can stop if they want, people who play RS can stop. Just don't shove that whole "I am a victim" crap down our throats.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If there is any more argument about what is right and wrong here, there will be warnings handed out. This is for discussing words being censored, and if the community can use the correctly.

Unfortunately, even though the terms used in the right context are perfectly acceptable, they can easily be thrown out of context and can be used as insults. They aren't censored here, but often when posts are done in that way, they will need removing, even though the words themselves are not censored. Luckily, the community here is more mature (most of the time) than in Runescape, so the rules are slightly more relaxed.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

wait wait, sickening and dangerous? I mean I would understand if you call people who use the word gay in every sentence they say annoying or immature bastards, but dangerous? Don't you think that is a bit of over-exaggeration? :mellow:

You see? That's where the problem stands! IT IS DANGEROUS!! the lack of awareness not only caused human beings to murder others for being different, but it had caused many to become depressed and eventualy suicidal (sp?). Yes, men and women, especialy teenagers, took their on lives solely for being gay. Not because they're poor, not because they're handicapped, not because of an abusive family and not even because of love fallen apart, solely for being gay.

Hmm? I think you misunderstood me a bit. I have no doubt that being gay is a huge mental stress. But when I talk about people who use the word gay in an offensive matter are generally immature people who wish to insult others, same as calling other people an ahole and such. You on the other hand are talking about people who specifically call out on gay people and make fun of them, that I believe is a problem. Or were you thinking that gay people hearing people using the "gay" word as an insult will be mentally stressed?

Okay, lets take a step backwards to see the bigger picture.

As of today, gay is used as a swear word more than anything else (it's a proven fact). How do you think that makes gay people, and especialy teenaged gay people feel? They think they have a problem, they think they don't belong in this world. Heck, many homophobes ARE gay, their homophobia is a product of their surrondings' thoughts- They're just so afraid to admit to themselves that they're gay, they simply bash it on others (this mostly happens with males, they usualy can't even stand the bare touch of another male.)

In other words, our world turns gay sexual orientation to a secret to be kept away from the surroundings, from friends, and many times even from families.

They are not born that way. That is utter BS. I have talked to a number of people who were formerly gay, and they all state that it was unnatural. Hate and death? People get made fun of for being fat, or skinny, or dumb, or smart. It may not be good, but it is a part of life.

I am really sorry here, formally gay? what happened did they go into rehab? you're talking utter nonsense here.

People are born that way. people pick on others flaws to better themselves, when inside they're more insecure than anything.

I'm straight but I have many gay friends, and they're human like the rest of us what your sexuality is doesn't really change anything.

It's YOUR intolerance that causes problems.

I have no problem with other people being gay. None at all. However, I do have a problem with people saying there is nothing they can do about it. I believe they can change if they chose. They don't have to, but they can if they want. People who are kleptomaniacs can choose not to steal. Not the best analogy, but you get the picture. I simply hate the whole "I am a victim because of this and this and this." attitude society has adopted. You are responsible for what you do with your life. Don't blame others. If you want to change, you can. Drug addicts can stop if they want, people who play RS can stop. Just don't shove that whole "I am a victim" crap down our throats.

Being gay is not a disease, an addiction, or something that you can just "change". Of course, people shouldn't blame society and victimize themselves, but if you are gay, you just can't freaking change it, unless you are able of magically changing the way your brain works. You should try to change from being heterossexual and see if you can do it O_o

As i said earlier, the "former-gay" people are either:

A) Gays/bissexuals who are fooling themselves.

B) People who were in doubt about their sexuality, and though they were gay, even though they weren't.

C) Magic people who can change how their brain works.

Anyway, i agree that people should stop victimizing themselves for this and that, but there are things they can't just change >.<.

EDIT: I don't remember where i read that, but there was a study that proved than most homophobic people actually have homossexual tendencies, and are in denial. So, LOL.

They killed themselves because they were gay.

Thus, they wouldn't, had they been normal.

Or just didn't worry over it. I don't know why sexuality has to be such a high priority... :???:

Sexuality words are used for insults; and if the adults can't see the difference, what makes you think the RS kids will?

Besides, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not like homosexuals are shunned from Jagex or not allowed to play. They just can't say those words not because it's true definition, but by the definition of it's insult.

And sorry to break it to you guys, but being homosexual is unnatural. But that doesn't mean it's wrong. Humans aren't supposed to travel 500+ mph through the skies neither. :razz:

Maybe, but mankind was not created with the knowledge of flight, and not only is being gay not in any way knwoledge, it also exists since the dawn of humanity. I can't see how that's unnatural, if people are born that way.

Well it is. Why would genes want to die after creating a gay person? It wouldn't. But a mutation caused it to change. It's not natural, or rather, not normal.I guess that's a better way at describing it. But of course, different does not mean wrong though, and we gotta stop thinking in that stupid manner.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

As of today, gay is used as a swear word more than anything else (it's a proven fact). How do you think that makes gay people, and especialy teenaged gay people feel? They think they have a problem, they think they don't belong in this world. Heck, many homophobes ARE gay, their homophobia is a product of their surrondings' thoughts- They're just so afraid to admit to themselves that they're gay, they simply bash it on others (this mostly happens with males, they usualy can't even stand the bare touch of another male.)

In other words, our world turns gay sexual orientation to a secret to be kept away from the surroundings, from friends, and many times even from families.

So you want the words uncensored so more people can use them in this way ingame, then? Uncensoring the words does little to help this problem, and promoting awareness in those too young to understand what sexuality is (which some 'Scaper's no doubt are) wouldn't exactly have a positive effect on them, I would guess.

Honestly, there is no reason to be talking about sexuality on RuneScape, so the words may as well stay censored.

When I see people say it, I pronounce it "poon" in my head. Makes more sense to me. My friend said it in real life once and I almost kneed him in the family-maker.

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

I already know this topic is going to be closed, but ill share what has already been shared. The community of rs is rather young, and gay, lesbian, and homosexual would be used as insults rather than descriptive terms majority of the time. Thus to avoid the situation all together, JaGeX censored the words to prevent abuse.

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

"Not normal"? Are you serious? If you can't accept change in society, you have a problem. I often compare gay discrimination today to racial problems in the early 1900's. It's basically the same thing. Something a group of people cannot control ensures that society looks down upon them. It's ridiculous.

I'm an INTJ.

Wait...Cynic...

Are you a girl?

[hide]

wait wait, sickening and dangerous? I mean I would understand if you call people who use the word gay in every sentence they say annoying or immature bastards, but dangerous? Don't you think that is a bit of over-exaggeration? :mellow:

You see? That's where the problem stands! IT IS DANGEROUS!! the lack of awareness not only caused human beings to murder others for being different, but it had caused many to become depressed and eventualy suicidal (sp?). Yes, men and women, especialy teenagers, took their on lives solely for being gay. Not because they're poor, not because they're handicapped, not because of an abusive family and not even because of love fallen apart, solely for being gay.

Hmm? I think you misunderstood me a bit. I have no doubt that being gay is a huge mental stress. But when I talk about people who use the word gay in an offensive matter are generally immature people who wish to insult others, same as calling other people an ahole and such. You on the other hand are talking about people who specifically call out on gay people and make fun of them, that I believe is a problem. Or were you thinking that gay people hearing people using the "gay" word as an insult will be mentally stressed?

[/hide]

I understand that, but wouldn't uncensoring those words cause a bigger problem? I mean there is no doubt that once they are uncensored you would see people using them in a negative context. :???:

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Guys, stop, now. This topic will be locked if you conitnue with this.

I do believe there is an OT thread on Homosexuality, move it there.

This is on why Jagex censors "gay" and "lesbian", etc. We already know why.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

"Not normal"? Are you serious? If you can't accept change in society, you have a problem. I often compare gay discrimination today to racial problems in the early 1900's. It's basically the same thing. Something a group of people cannot control ensures that society looks down upon them. It's ridiculous.

I really hope that wasn't aimed at me. :wink:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Well it seems a warning about discussing whether things are right or wrong didn't go far enough, so i'm locking this while i clean it up and deal with some people.

Ok guys, lets keep this thread on topic from now on, I'm watching.

This is for discussing whether or not certain words should be censored.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

As a bisexual male who has been struggling his whole life to determine his sexual preference, I must say this thread is ridiculous. In this thread: a bunch of people who don't know what its like to be a homosexual stating "facts" about how people think.

I know you guys like to put everything in black and white, but this is something that you can't really do it with. People are really complicated and you can't simplify it to right or wrong. Some people have a choice, others don't. A bisexual obviously has the ability to choose what sex they would like their partner to be.

"On topic": Nothing is obscene about these words, but they deserve to be censcored due to their sexual nature. A lot of words conscening heterosexuality are censcored also...If you want the freedom to talk about your sexual preference, you can. You can say things like "Actually, I like men" You dont have to say "I'm a homo".

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

So, the words are censored, and with good reason. Is there a reason for the words not to be? No, not really, as there's better places on the internet to discuss that kind of thing. On top of that, the RuneScape community is too immature to handle proper usage of said words, and if it were, the younger population on said website, no doubt, would find talking about these kind of things a little awkward due to its... well, young age.

End of discussion?

I think as the idiots on this thread made clear, most online communities are too immature to handle that sort of discussion, and yes if the words were allowed they would be used as derogatory terms.

There is no legitimate conversation to be had on Runescape where the terms "gay, lesbian, homo, [bleep], etc" come up. Runescape is not a medium through which to discuss sex or politics. Go somewhere else for that.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

FACT: All words in RuneScape relating purely to sexuality are censored. The word "heterosexual" is censored as well (just tried it within the safety of my POH).

SUBSEQUENT CONCLUSION: It is justified for Jagex to censor the words referred to in the original post, as Jagex is also censoring all other sexual words.

I don't see why it isn't just that simple...?

"All that is gold does not glitter..."

I would like to stat why I think these words should not be censored in RuneScape (or any other place, really.)

The reason gays are treated badly by many, is the in-ability to comperhend their situation. They were born with a sexual orientation that is looked down upon for some very twisted and sickening reasons, basicly for being different. I do not expect to change that over night, but I do know that this change can be made, even if in 20, 50, or 200 years. The reason these words are censored, or even unaccepted by many out side of RuneScape, is the lack of awareness. In other words, if everyone knew what it meant (and many in this particular thread proved they don't), it was not so unnatural and unique anymore. It would be just one more word, one more 'father', 'friend', 'child', 'student', 'asutralian', 'black', and so on. Currently, that's something that can be done. I doubt any of you imagine anything too unique when using the word 'father', and I believe so should be for the word 'gay'.

In addition, I am aware that if these words were no longer censored, they would, infact, be used more as insults than anything else. However, if we are so afraid of that, our world will never have that change. Sure, 'gay' would sadly become the new 'noob', but if on all places in the entire world this word was just like any other, it would eventualy change. (As I stated, not over night, and probably not even in 20 years, but we shouldn't be scared of that long period, we should just do our best to reach a change in people's world-view.

I get what you're saying, but they will be so overwhelmingly used in a derogatory manner that it'll completely eclipse any benefit of freeing them up. Also, Jagex tends to rule with a heady hand on stuff like this, even though they relaxed their stance on a few words a while back. More to the point, their is no reason why a person's sexuality should be discussed in game. If you want to take that to an outisde method of communication, fine. Leave it off the game. We don't need it in there.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

As other people have mentioned in this thread it won't be uncensored, it's a very sensitive issue, where people will abuse it for no reason.

Remember the day words like [wagon] got uncensored?

Behind the monitor of 90% of players in this game are a majority of insecure players feeling it necessary to bring other people down, by calling them nerds, noobs, no-lifes, judging a book by it's cover to say the least.

Imagine if the words mentioned in previous posts got uncensored? looking at the rants section of RSOF as it is, does it really need more flames fanned? I doubt it.

Every person is unique in their own right, and we shouldn't really be labelling and it should and will remain censored.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Behind the monitor of 90% of players in this game are a majority of insecure players feeling it necessary to bring other people down, by calling them nerds, noobs, no-lifes, judging a book by it's cover to say the least.

Oh look, Smelly is talking about me. :wink:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I get what you're saying, but they will be so overwhelmingly used in a derogatory manner that it'll completely eclipse any benefit of freeing them up. Also, Jagex tends to rule with a heady hand on stuff like this, even though they relaxed their stance on a few words a while back. More to the point, their is no reason why a person's sexuality should be discussed in game. If you want to take that to an outisde method of communication, fine. Leave it off the game. We don't need it in there.

I think that's where the root of this problem stands. People see it as something oh so very big- only because society had made it so big.

On a school project I had to direct a documentay movie basicly involving around gay teenagers. Before I started filming anything or even making phone calls, the first thing I did was searth the net, see what I can learn.

Eventualy, I stepped into a site held by an organization, and it's main purpose is to create awareness- because they believe awareness would eliminate many problems gays are having, mainly because they're afraid their secret would lead to their lives getting torn apart.

Eventualy throughout my film, I got to interview the head of this ogranization. She said her dream is to close it. Literally, ditch her organization- because there will be no need for it. What she obviously meant is that she wants our country to look at it as something so natural and normal, that there will be no room for such an organization.

She also stated that the fact that these words are used as insults, is very disturbing and that that's one of the biggest problems out there relating to this subject.

I was fascinated during the whole interview, and filmed almost 3 hours of it. I just couldn't stop asking questions and getting answers. Most of my questions weren't even pre-written- I was just so curious I was glued to my seat with daze.

Well, what do you know? We turned out to be friends even though she is about 10 years older than me.

I think as the idiots on this thread made clear, most online communities are too immature to handle that sort of discussion, and yes if the words were allowed they would be used as derogatory terms.

There is no legitimate conversation to be had on Runescape where the terms "gay, lesbian, homo, [bleep], etc" come up. Runescape is not a medium through which to discuss sex or politics. Go somewhere else for that.

For the most part, dead on here.

I do disagree that there is some legitimate conversation to be had using these words. While I obviously don't solicit RW information from people, the folks you talk to on a day to day basis will invariably over time know more about you, and vice versa. This includes sexual orientation; I know several RS players who are openly gay and have told me as such.

That's right, they've communicated that they are gay within the game. It doesn't take much imagination to work around the censors. This is exactly why the censor should stay; it is easy to remove the inflammatory and immature hatespeek without restricting freedom of orientation.

stormveritas.png