Firemaking Useless

gummibear95

Many people belive firemaking is usless, but thats partialy false.

it has a few things that it can do, that make life (sometimes easier in runescape.

it lets you make fires anywere, so long as you have logs with you.

you can use the beacon network,

you can use it in quests,

minigames,

prayer restor lamps in haunted woods,

hand cannon,

pyres.

there are a few things, that it can do, but people still think theres no point in trainin it.

do you think its usless? or do you think that it is an important skill?

do you think there is a way to make this skill better?

convince me.

let the Debate Begin!

:-k :-k :-k :-k

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No skill is completely useless; firemaking will always have at least some uses. The problem is whether these benefits actually justify the effort into training firemaking. I believe that is a no, mainly because the benefits you described are very circumstantal and limited in scope.

^^ agreed with above ^^

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I guess you could argue the potential benefits from being able to burn higher level Pyre Ships at Mith's could balance the effort put into training firemaking, that however only applies up until you can burn Magic Pyre ships.

As far as the Adze/other beacon rewards go I view them as only useful for Firemaking itself which spins into some kind of use-paradox; The only use in training Firemaking is getting items which help you train Firemaking.

I guess there's *some* use in training firemaking to a respectable level, but I get by just fine without it. Other than that I only train it to boost my total level occasionally.

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

Lord_Rand.png

There's really no justification for firemaking to be a skill in the first place. "Oh, look, I leveled up! Now I can burn more expensive logs to make an identical fire! Yeehaw!"

I sincerely hope a firemaking upgrade is in the works. Seriously, we need some flaming weapons. Flaming arrows. There's obvious potential for fire in combat. And there's more uses for cooking too--maybe a piece of jewelry that can be operated to make a cooking fire without logs or tinderbox. A bonus to cooking food based on your skill with the cooking fire.

As is, the skill just doesn't do anything meaningful.

Aside from quest requirements and items obtained through those quests, the only use of firemeking is obtained at 92 FM with inferno adze for the best woodcutting item in the game (which has somewhat been rendered useless with the introduction of ivy).

The skill on its own is mostly useless.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

In F2P, firemaking is really only limited to lighting logs. It is somewhat useless there.

I agree with your P2P points though.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's still pretty useless, even though I have a respectable level in it.

Jagex is, however, making it more useful all the time.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh i dont find it useless. Maybe as a skill it isnt. But it teaches you how to combat boredum (as im sure any fm will tell you)

As for the actual use in game well pretty fires are always good. But you can always turn into some sort of race. As people of said its main use atm is to get the Adze

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

Before skill capes, nobody really cared about firemaking, except for some hard-core Morr'ton temple builders. There just isn't any actual benefit to the skill. Adaze and hand cannons have partially given some fuel into firemaking (haha) but overall, it remains a skill without any direction.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a skill in RS, there aren't really any uses for it, but personally, I find firemaking a great way to relieve stress and anger that may affect you irl. It keeps your hands busy while leaving your mind to think through the problem and allows you to calm down, unless of course, other people decide to block your fire lines and/or talk to you.

a98c6df29b.png

It is pretty useless, I wish they would find some use for it like combining it with another skill. For example why not release a new spell book for magic that is full of pyro spells and raising firemaking increases your ability to inflict damage using these spells.

Or maybe implement this into the normal spellbook and have mining increase earth spells, fishing increase water spells, or something like that. F2p magic does kind of need a boost.

And no firemaking is not useless.

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

Just as useless as smithing, crafting, etc.

Smithing makes armour to fight with and crafting makes the jewelery you wear. Firemaking was meant to be a gold sink. Once you burn the log, there's no way to profit or get it back. This way is stabilizes the economy.

Smithing makes armour to fight with and crafting makes the jewelery you wear. Firemaking was meant to be a gold sink. Once you burn the log, there's no way to profit or get it back. This way is stabilizes the economy.

It's not a gold sink; it's log sink. The gold doesn't leave the system. It only changes hands.

Unless you buy your logs in a store, I suppose, but that's kind of silly.

I forgot to add, the prices of logs would drop without firemaking due to the low demand. But then we would see a lot more fletching capes because of the lowered prices and so the prices would sky rocket. Then plummet, then even out, and then make woodcutting for money a bit obsolete.

My signature got deleted :(

And I lost all the links. Thanks Gandorf61.

I forgot to add, the prices of logs would drop without firemaking due to the low demand. But then we would see a lot more fletching capes because of the lowered prices and so the prices would sky rocket. Then plummet, then even out, and then make woodcutting for money a bit obsolete.

If firemaking never existed, then it wouldn't matter. The demand wouldn't change. what you said above would only happen if the actually REMOVED Firemaking. And I do not think they will ever do this.

Yew and magic log prices are primarily based in fletching and the prices of bowstrings and nature runes. Maple and eucalyptus logs are the ones that would be affected, and maple logs were crap to begin with. Eucalyptus logs are a relatively recent addition to the game and, while they're nice, I don't think they'd be missed all that much. Honestly, woodcutting for money is already obsolete. You can't even break 200k gp/hr.

It's not a gold sink; it's log sink. The gold doesn't leave the system. It only changes hands.

Unless you buy your logs in a store, I suppose, but that's kind of silly.

Oh yea, I didn't realize thaticon_redface.gif