The American Football thread

IeatWindex

Mendalhall should be back for the Steelers, that might prove crucial, as he was for the whole of last season. I'd still go for a slight Eagles win.

EDIT (07/Oct/2012): THANK YOU SHAUN SUISHAM!!!

Edited by Ginger_Warrior

It's true, he really did keep the Steelers alive during the first half. That they went into the locker room ten ahead with the Eagles having nothing on the board was a gift when you looked at the stats at that point in the game. Turnovers at key moments.

Serious questions for Green Bay too. Losing record after Week 5... not many predicted that.

• 2 months later...

Broncos here.

I hoped for a first seed.

But predicted either a 2nd seed with a record like 11-5 or Denver to be in the place the Bengals are now, mostly because I expected the AFC to be more competitive, and thought it would take more time for Manning to adapt.

But damn I was wrong, first seed and 13-3 record, not only they went beyond my expectations; Manning adapted extremely fast, half of the regular season he could already relly on his receivers almost blindfolded. I haven't seen a team this complete since the 97-98 Broncos; right now they are the jack-of-all-trades of the NFL: extremely good offense, very good defense, best tackle, you name it. I'm really happy for my team.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

There's a lot of smack-talking from fans of the Patriots about the Broncos' chances of reaching the Super Bowl, but if there's one dark horse I really wouldn't mind putting a small amount on, it's the Bengals. They're a form team going into this series (unlike the Texans or the Ravens)--won three games straight including a hard-fought, do-or-die victory over a team with the best ranked defence in the whole NFL. Yes, Big Ben threw the game away at the end, but the Bengals defence had to make big plays in the first instance. Maybe we can't read too much into the Ravens result because neither team had anything to play for and a few starters were rested.

I don't think it's a given that the Texans will win this weekend at all.

We are used to that, it's even worse on small fan-concentrated areas outside of the U.S. where everyone is either a steelers, patriots or cowboys fan. They were saying the same thing about Manning not adapting and getting another injury, but look at it now...

And I'm with you on the Bengals, texans are starting to look beat up, same with the ravens.

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif

Go Colts!

And Manning Broncos!

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two words: Joe. Flacco.

Niners all the way, unless Ray Rice/Lewis rescue the Ravens for the upteenth time this season.

You trust Kaepergimmick more than an elite quarterback? :shock:

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

[spoiler=Mad at the elite quarterback?]CokoTp7.png

He already outplayed Peyton Manning and Todd Bradley, two supposedly elite quarterbacks. Despite having played the most playoff games, he has yet to throw an interception this postseason while throwing 8 touchdowns. He has made the playoffs every season of his 5 year career despite playing in the second toughest division in football. He's also about to sign a $20M contract. If he's not elite, then there hasn't been an elite quarterback since John Elway.[/loljk]

But in all reality, I was under the impression that elite just meant top 5. Obviously Brady, Peyton, Rodgers and Brees are top 4, but who's #5? It's certainly not Rothlesburger, Eli, Ryan, Romo, Cutler, Schaub, Stafford, or some rookie. Maybe Ponder :wink:.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Roethlisberger has two rings and a third AFC Championship on top of that. Eli also has two rings and was MVP in both of those Super Bowls.

I was under the impression that in sport, winning medals very much matters, as it will for Flacco if the Ravens win tonight.