Script errors are KILLING ME!!!!!

massfire

Lately there have been a TON of script errors, I suspect from the ads as I am F2P. Could be my old piece of $@#% computer too!! But anyway when it happens it causes my Java to shut down. Happens so much I stopped my membership. Just wondering if anyone has any same problems or, better yet, suggestions.....

I have all the latest updates available and have cleaned and debugged computer. Still it's old and am looking to get a new one but thought I would throw this out there.....

Also his problem makes no sense:

"as I am F2P"......"Happens so much I stopped my membership"

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The advertisements will not effect the java applet as such, unless it crashes the browser.

1. Install the latest version of SUN JAVA. http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp#jre

2. If using HD make sure your check if there are any driver updates for your graphics card, this is a pretty common cause of the game crashing.

Links: Nvidia Drivers | ATI Drivers

3. Use an up to date browser such as Firefox 3.5. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

By membership he might mean he's stopped playing on his account?

I've found that if I play on f2p I get script errors too and it keeps asking me to debug but does nothing except close runescape or leaves a white screen. It doesn't happen straight away, it happens after about 10 minutes of playing and tends to happen more if my mouse even remotely hovers over the ads.

Happens with Swiftkit alot

Never happened to me, thought.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Have you tried using Firefox? I know recently I tried running the game on IE (which I never use unless absolutely necessary), because I was having issues loading the game. It didn't help me load the game btw. :P Anyways, thats when I get those messages too. And I used to use Swiftkit a lot (it stopped working for me, and I haven't gone back since I guess). Swiftkit runs off of IE as well, and those messages pop up when using it. Seems to me it's IE thats having the issues. :P

Blakdragon39.png

I have noticed them too, but didn't think much of them until recently.

I am a member but I still get script errors on the main page (using Swift Kit). I also get them on tip-it too.

It has to due with AD's and the version of browser your using.

SwiftKit is built off very old version of Internet Explorer for its browser loading. Its much the same thing the Official Runescape Client is built off of. Because the browser is so old, newer AD's have information in them the old browsers cannot read. The AD's aren't geared to browsers that are 10+ years old. This is what causes the error. Also keep in mind not every AD will cause them either.

I get the same problem when I use my Microsoft Outlook to view Tipit Forums at work. It uses a very old version of Internet explorer to view web pages within the Outlook window. Because of that I also get script errors on ads while loading and viewing some tipit forum pages.

So how to fix it? Well if your using Swift Kit there really is no solution, you'll just have to live with them. But otherwise you can switch to an updated browser such as FireFox so no script errors are present.

dawnsigblue-3.png

OK I am not mad at ads....I know they are what keeps free to play possible. What I am mad at is the game ads causing my crap comp. to crash and that is why I am NOW free to Play. I used to be a pay account but with all the crashing it's no good. It's probably just a matter of needing a newer computer. Thanks to all those who tried to help and screw the rest of you who think they know more than they do!!!

People are trying to help you but your situation is a little confusing. You said that you used to be members but that ads caused your Java to crash which doesn't make sense since P2P doesn't have ads. However Bored has some good suggestions that may help you if you haven't tried them yet already. If you don't mind posting your computer specs and the browser you're using that may also allow us to help you more. I take it you're currently F2P but if you do get a membership you get no ads while playing so if you're sure it's the ads that are causing Java to crash you may want to look into buying a subscription.

Well, first as said, this topic needs moving.

Second, if you're using Firefox, there's a lovely add on named AdBlock Plus. All you do is turn it to block advert.runescape.com, but be sure to turn it off and click the ads every now and then to make money for Jagex :) They need to make their money from us f2pers somehow :lol: :roll:

d9f84e76d7.png

Erm that script error occurs with adverts on IE only. It happens on IE, the Runescape client, and Swiftkit. The latter two use IE to play. On Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc. this is not a problem.

animsig.gif

[hide=Stats]I_B_Trolin_U.png[/hide]

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

-Joseph Stalin

Second, if you're using Firefox, there's a lovely add on named AdBlock Plus. All you do is turn it to block advert.runescape.com, but be sure to turn it off and click the ads every now and then to make money for Jagex :) They need to make their money from us f2pers somehow :lol: :roll:

They don't like AdBlock, and, technically, its against the rules, and, if its against Runescapes rules, its against these rules?

They don't like AdBlock, and, technically, its against the rules, and, if its against Runescapes rules, its against these rules?

It is against Jagex rules but a lot of there rules are petty and totally un-enforcable. Jagex cannot tell you not to use an add on, especially when the add on is advertised by Mozilla themselves. Same kinda thing as there anti 3rd party software crusade which failed miserably.

At the end of the day they program in Java so as to let users play RS on a variety of different systems and software. That's the entire point of Java. If they were that bothered then they should have made RS a piece of software in it's own right, like WoW. Then if you block the adverts you are compromising there software. Asking you not to block ads in a program that isn't even there's is just silly.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!