Jagex portraying Runescape as ONLY a free game?

Dire_Wolf

99% of the people who state that they prefer f2p over p2p are either:

1)Too poor to pay for membership (Which must be rare, considering it only costs 5$month)

You'd be surprised the number of people who'd spend there money on something more worthwhile than an online browser game every month... And $5 a month is way off in a lot of countries, almost triple that price in some circumstances depending on how you pay. Not saying that it is heaps more expensive but, why does WoW have less players than rs? Because rs doesn't cost your hard-earned cash.

2)Arrogant people of the same type than those people who played Classic, thinking they have a higher status because they are "100% F2P"

Most higher-levelled F2P players are much better than P2P players. In fact, your statement is pretty much the opposite of what P2P players are; arrogant people who don't know why people would play F2P, and think they are heaps better than F2P players. Which is pretty much all of your jerks on members servers.

3)Unable to find a mean to pay for membership.

This is pretty much a fair statement. Took me a good 3 months to find a payment membership my parents were cool with (which is pay-by-phone).

Seriously, if they never tried membership, how can they prefer F2P?

Because they haven't played P2P before? O.o

Personally? When I look back on my rs career, I would have preferred to have been refused membership by my parents when I was a wee lad. The simplicity of the game, close community of higher levelled players and the relaxed gameplay make it seem much better than the rush, constant grind and "complexity" of P2P. But, since I bought membership, my character is pretty much dependant on the members game to be playable as most of my worth lies in the items and/or moneymaking methods. Kinda makes me sad :(.

My 5 cents.

disturbeda.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I donno, free players get enough content that i still consider it semi-free.

Though on the whole "best free MMO thing", WOW could decide to make a little free island you can play in with a single rat or other crappy creature that you can kill once every 10 minutes while competing with all the other free players, and then call that the most popular free mmo O.o

O.O

This is not a discussion on what is fun and what is not fun.

The statement they have made is correct.

Just because I don't think Halo Combat Evolved demo is fun for more than 5 seconds doesn't change the fact it is free content. Same with Runescape.

Free to play is free content. Its a free game completely separate from the members game. You dont need the members game to play. If you want it, that's one thing. But it is certainly not required.

Also nowhere on there does it say "everything is free", but it does say over 15,000 hours of free game play. So your argument is not valid as nowhere on that page does it say access to all the content is free. It just says the free version of the game, is free. Nothing more, nothing less.

The statement(s) they have made is not all right. 15,000 hours of free game play - that's correct, and i have not said it's not. But then there is 24 diverse skills, 150+ quests and so on, that gives the idea that all of these things are within F2P...which it is not. And also it says Runescape is the most popular free game, which i highly doubt it is. There is tons of other great games out there, with better graphics that are completely FREE.

But why do we play Runescape? For P2P - the expansion pack! In other words - it's not the "Free" game play that's popular, it's the P2P.

F2P might have been the game in the beginning, but P2P is now the game.

But then there is 24 diverse skills, 150+ quests and so on, that gives the idea that all of these things are within F2P...which it is not.

No, that's just you scrambling for something to whine about.

And also it says Runescape is the most popular free game, which i highly doubt it is. There is tons of other great games out there, with better graphics that are completely FREE

It is, Jagex is in the Guinness Book of World Records with the largest free to play game in the world.

But why do we play Runescape? For P2P - the expansion pack! In other words - it's not the "Free" game play that's popular, it's the P2P.

That's why free players outnumber members by about six to one, right?

:rolleyes: If you keep repeating it, eventually it might come true.

I think it's lame of Jagex to portray Runescape as a free game, and also portray F2P as being the fun part of Runescape (P2P is fun part).

I think it's lame of you to continue these baseless, whiny "moral crusades" against Jagex based on your own boneheaded opinions you decide to put forward as facts and representations of the community as a whole. Stop speaking for what interests millions of other people, you can barely speak for yourself.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

also it says Runescape is the most popular free game, which i highly doubt it is. There is tons of other great games out there, with better graphics that are completely FREE.

RuneScape in Guinness World Records!

...um, they announced it when it happened.

Jagex's official position is that the free game is the game, while members are paying for an expansion of that. Your assertion that "P2P is now the game" is based upon nothing more than your preference for P2P over F2P.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

You have a pretty subjective arguement going to be honest. I was F2P for a year and a half before I went P2P. Before then I didn't know what I was missing, so I was content. After I lost P2P I had to get it back, but a F2per who never had P2P wouldn't know what they were missing, so they'd be perfectly content.

Well, i don't know if thsi is correct...Maybe a few years back people who were f2p didn't knew what they are missing on, but now when i went to f2p all the newbs new the names of stuff i was wearing and were asking if i have other stuff, naming places and stuff, new players have a much better knowledge these days.

And F2P is fun, even when you know what youre missing on. trust me, I was f2p for over 2 years, It was awesome. Would enver come back, like this expanded world better.

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

But then there is 24 diverse skills, 150+ quests and so on, that gives the idea that all of these things are within F2P...which it is not.

No, that's just you scrambling for something to whine about.

I just don't like things that is not right, like making Runescape look as if it's 24+ skills, 150+ quests and it's all FREE when it's not. As many know, majority of Runescape is in P2P.

And also it says Runescape is the most popular free game, which i highly doubt it is. There is tons of other great games out there, with better graphics that are completely FREE

It is, Jagex is in the Guinness Book of World Records with the largest free to play game in the world.

LARGEST, not most popular free game in world.

That's why free players outnumber members by about six to one, right?

I was talking about the actual truth. If you go F2P you will see that majority are kids, and most of them just start a account and play it for a little while and quit, just like all other free simple games out there (Not that Runescape F2P is so simple, but it can be compared to a simple game found on net).

:rolleyes: If you keep repeating it, eventually it might come true.

WHAT?

I think it's lame of Jagex to portray Runescape as a free game, and also portray F2P as being the fun part of Runescape (P2P is fun part).

I think it's lame of you to continue these baseless, whiny "moral crusades" against Jagex based on your own boneheaded opinions you decide to put forward as facts and representations of the community as a whole. Stop speaking for what interests millions of other people, you can barely speak for yourself.

I asked for peoples opinion on the topic, i never intend to represent everyone else. However your opinion is something i can live without...

RuneScape is the most popular FREE game in the world, as shown in the Guiness book. They call it free, why cant jagex? The majority of the players are free players, there are alot of stuff to do even in f2p.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

RuneScape is the most popular FREE game in the world, as shown in the Guiness book. They call it free, why cant jagex? The majority of the players are free players, there are alot of stuff to do even in f2p.

Yeah i read that, and i am wrong. But i don't believe it's the most popular, it's just something caused because of statistics. However don't think i look at Runescape as a crap game, it has great content, but i just can't accept that F2P along is enough for Jagex to deserv being the most popular free game in world.

The only two points that anyone could object to at all are the ones mentioning 150+ quests and 24 skills, which do require membership that isn't mentioned in the ads. However, I don't think that's any worse than ads for other games, all of which tend to distort the facts a little, even if what they say is literally true. Jagex is only doing what every other advertisement for anything does: accentuate the positive, while downplaying or not mentioning the negative.

99% of the people who state that they prefer f2p over p2p are either:

1)Too poor to pay for membership (Which must be rare, considering it only costs 5$month)

2)Arrogant people of the same type than those people who played Classic, thinking they have a higher status because they are "100% F2P"

3)Unable to find a mean to pay for membership.

Seriously, if they never tried membership, how can they prefer F2P?

I have tried membership, and I prefer f2p. Membership was awesome, and yes, I'll probably get it again next summer, but it was so FULL. There was so much to do, it was overwhelming. I imagine at higher and higher levels, it would settle down a bit once you started to plateau, but for someone like me who is perpetually distracted by the shiny, f2p is a lot more my style for large chunks of time.

ab38dfd9d8.png

bluehooloovo.png

bluehooloovo.png

[hide=]

The light at the end of the tunnel is the demon-infested lava pit.

blue = sad

hoo = who

loo = 100

vo = broken ice cream cone = sad children = sad babies = dead babies

bluehooloovo = sadwho100deadbabies = Who is sad about 100 dead babies?

I've cracked the code!

[/hide]Blog

Yeah i read that, and i am wrong. But i don't believe it's the most popular, it's just something caused because of statistics. However don't think i look at Runescape as a crap game, it has great content, but i just can't accept that F2P along is enough for Jagex to deserv being the most popular free game in world.

I fail to understand your logic behind your arguement. You say that "it's just based on statics", which are true! However, while everyone's allowed to voice their opinion, you're pushing yours through like it's fact, which is what it isn't.It is the most popular free game in the world, whether you like it or not, well, free MMO. I don't think there's anything else we can discuss on this thread, as all it is now is you voicing your opinion against the facts we have in front of us. I am one to believe the real facts, the true statistics, thank you.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I fail to understand your logic behind your arguement. You say that "it's just based on statics", which are true! However, while everyone's allowed to voice their opinion, you're pushing yours through like it's fact, which is what it isn't.It is the most popular free game in the world, whether you like it or not, well, free MMO. I don't think there's anything else we can discuss on this thread, as all it is now is you voicing your opinion against the facts we have in front of us. I am one to believe the real facts, the true statistics, thank you.

The discussion has ended. I was wrong about about Runescape not being regoniced at the most popular/largest free game in world. But i don't accept that F2P along deservs that (That's just my view of it), because F2P does not even have a boss for monster hunters.

If F2P was as popular, i wouldn't be playing P2P now. Runescape being largest FREE game, is something Jagex deserv though.

But i don't accept that F2P along deservs that (That's just my view of it), because F2P does not even have a boss for monster hunters.

I'm sorry, did we suddenly start talking about a different game? How can the fact that F2P does not have a "boss" monster make it any less viable? This is RuneScape, not WoW or MapleStory. A large portion of the RS population does more than simply fight monsters, and a large portion of that prefer to train non-combat skills.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

What are they going to say? "RuneScape, a huge free game played by many!!! Also has a subscription function which is 5$ a month" or something along those lines? Sounds a bit weird. The thing is, they're not lying, they're telling the truth but not the whole truth. And fact is, once a person goes onto the RuneScape site, it is inevitable that they will find out that there is also an additional subscription option. So it's not as if some free players are oblivious to members' and think that it's a 100% free game.

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

But i don't accept that F2P along deservs that (That's just my view of it), because F2P does not even have a boss for monster hunters.

I'm sorry, did we suddenly start talking about a different game? How can the fact that F2P does not have a "boss" monster make it any less viable? This is RuneScape, not WoW or MapleStory. A large portion of the RS population does more than simply fight monsters, and a large portion of that prefer to train non-combat skills.

Did i say that everyone was a monster hunter? No i did not. But there is more than just skillers in F2P.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I have been one of Jagex's most consistent critics over the years -- but only when the criticisms make sense. These do not.

Runescape F2P IS a free game. Jagex has every right to advertise it as a free game. The fact that there is also a superior pay version doesn't change the fact that the free version is, well, FREE.

This method of marketing something is not Jagex's invention -- in fact, it's as old as the hills.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I feel that being F2P taught me all I needed to know about runescape before I moved on to members. Its kind of like a small but long tutorial leading to the finale?

I also wouldn't want to start off as a lvl 3 newb in p2p. That would have been [cabbage].

priest_wiz.png

Did i say that everyone was a monster hunter? No i did not. But there is more than just skillers in F2P.

No, you did not say that everyone was a monster hunter, but your statement implied that combat or monster hunting is the primary reason to play the game. I agree that there are more than just skillers in the game and that's what makes RuneScape so unique. It's the amount of things that a player can do, in either F2P or P2P, that makes it engaging.

No, you did not say that everyone was a monster hunter, but your statement implied that combat or monster hunting is the primary reason to play the game. I agree that there are more than just skillers in the game and that's what makes RuneScape so unique. It's the amount of things that a player can do, in either F2P or P2P, that makes it engaging.

No, i was just speaking for myself and all other monster hunters. How is F2P fun (and deserv the award of being the most POPULAR free game) when there is no boss for monster hunters?

F2P is nice for skillers, and PK-ers, but honestly as long as there is not a boss (a decent one), Jagex does not deserv the award of F2P being the most POPULAR. But if they deserv it or not, is another discussion so i will leave that be.

No, i was just speaking for myself and all other monster hunters. How is F2P fun (and deserv the award of being the most POPULAR free game) when there is no boss for monster hunters?

F2P is nice for skillers, and PK-ers, but honestly as long as there is not a boss (a decent one), Jagex does not deserv the award of F2P being the most POPULAR. But if they deserv it or not, is another discussion so i will leave that be.

The free version of the game is the most popular free mmorpg on the internet, it is in the guiness book of world records.

You can try to hunt for Jagex staff members in pvp worlds...

priest_wiz.png