Where will it all end for Runescape

sirlonewolf

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time they will run out of ideas, they will probably have another mmorpg up and running. As long as they space out big updates they'll be fine. People will probably play runescape forever lol. They can always expand the map and add new quests and stuff.

Sublexation.gif

Well, firstly, Runescape won't end unless the profits have gone, or reduced dramatically; since it is a business, it needs to make money. Secondly, the "spirit". If the spirit of the game doesn't continue, others may continue on with it, others may not - depending on these will depend on the game. I do, however, think that Runescape will be going for quite a while yet, they're making a lot of profit.

:grin:

If anything, I think RS will expand, with todays mobile market, and the requirements for RS being very low, and the devices getting way more powerful, I predict we will see Runescape on things like the iPad or iPhone within a year or two. (Or even consoles?)

If anything, I think RS will expand, with todays mobile market, and the requirements for RS being very low, and the devices getting way more powerful, I predict we will see Runescape on things like the iPad or iPhone within a year or two. (Or even consoles?)

One of the main people at Jagex stated that they already offered runescape to be available on all of their systems online. However, none accepted because they demanded that it remain free (as jagex is proudly to most popular free mmo in the world) and the console companies weren't ready to do that.

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Why do we always refer to WoW for "best an de bigest gaem evar" discussions? It kinda irks me >.>

Because it IS the biggest game with over 11 million subscribers, and in my world hard facts overrule personal opinion.

Even though I've been a Runescaper from the beginning I've allowed myself the option to play other MMO's with an unbiased opinion, which is hard to say for alot of Runescapers, and WoW players for that matter.

Lets just keep it on the realistic end of the discussion instead, and conclude that Blizzard has far more resources in every field of development. They are also experts in multiplayer games. Need I mention D1, D2, Starcraft, Warcraft 1 ,2 and 3, of which Warcraft 3 has a number of mods played also by millions of players. In fact, every game I mentioned above still has millions of people avidly playing. Even Diablo 1 which is over 12 years old.

To say that WoW will run out of ideas and content before Runescape is absurd! I beg you to take a look at other MMO's also, which have nothing to do with Blizzard. Ever heard of Ultima Online? The first time i tried it was in 1998, and its still spitting out content.

Everquest is also 11 years old. Still making new stuff. DAOC? Still making new stuff. Anarchy Online? Still making new stuff. All these games are older than Runescape.

Runescape is older than WoW, and WoW is a 3d MMO. 3D allows for alot more content since there is (obviously) an extra dimension implemented.

I've played all of these games mentioned above, and I do not see any of them ending in the near future, nor do I see them running out of content or things to do. That includes Runescape.

Just reading that you think WoW will run out of content at any point kind of tells me that you've never played the end-game. The end-game in WoW is where the game actually BEGINS. The whole process of levelling to the current max level of 80 is just a journey to the beginning.

Contrary to Runescape, where the process of levelling to the max level of any skill and getting there means, that you are finished, and there is no further content.

Here is the killing blow.

Runescape has somewhere between 1-2 million subscribers .Yet it has 584(Today, 18th feb 2010) usernames that have "completed" the game.

Ready for the big surprise yet?

World of Warcraft has over 11 million subscribers. So at the very least they outnumber Runescapes subscribers 5:1.

The amount of people who have completed all content in WoW is 1 person.

---

That of course does not mean that RS will "die" before WoW. But it certainly contradicts what you are implying.

I doubt RS will die any time soon, and I also believe it will grow bigger, if of course Jagex is up to the task of renewing the game over the next many years.

In general I don't like the idea of comparing RS to WoW. Especially not on these forums since (surprise) there is a rather immature stance on Runescape vs Other games.

Just don't make the stupid mistake of trying to predict the longevity of ANY game. Games like Pong, Pacman and Tetris are still played by millions of people as well. The human mind is a tricky thing ;-)

P.S. If , and only if, Runescape ever runs out of content, and you find yourself sitting on your chair with an empty feeling in your stomach, you can always play Another World at www.awplanet.com. A complete rip-off at the time of Runescape, launched before RS2, but with similar RS2 graphics (which caused much hype in the old Runescape community at the time, as the game was a rip-off, but containing a more powerful engine than the RS1 engine).

If you even take the time to check out that game. You will understand why I find RS2's game engine rather halting. Considering the fact that these russian dudes were lightyears ahead of Jagex back BEFORE Runescape 2 and its "ground-breaking" engine, which for some of us wasn't so ground-breaking after all. It launched in 2003 several months before RS2.

If you want a taste of how Mechscape possibly (not saying it will) will look like, check out the pictures of AW below.

This is not advertisement for another game. It is merely part of my case. I do not play AW nor have i played it for the last 7 years. I also do not have any affiliation to the game.

promo1.jpg

promo2.jpg

Runescape has somewhere between 1-2 million subscribers .Yet it has 584(Today, 18th feb 2010) usernames that have "completed" the game.

World of Warcraft has over 11 million subscribers. So at the very least they outnumber Runescapes subscribers 5:1.

For RS you seem to base whether or not someone has "completed" the game on if they have maxed out their levels, what would it take to "complete" WoW?

namnlskopia.jpg

For RS you seem to base whether or not someone has "completed" the game on if they have maxed out their levels, what would it take to "complete" WoW?

im guessing....get every achievement(spread over several characters probably), get a level 80 of every class/race combination, beat every boss, etc etc

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

im guessing....get every achievement(spread over several characters probably), get a level 80 of every class/race combination, beat every boss, etc etc

No. Completing Wow Would probably entail downing top raid at that point and all achievements.

Not every 80 combination.

Although I find it hard to believe someone has completed WoW up to wotlk, having said that I haven't played for a half a year.... but still, has someone really completed all the achivements and killed current end game?

---

On topic, RS won't end for a while yet. Being a browser game it's always readily avaliable and should stand the test of time. I can't think of a good enough reason as to what would bring the end of RS, and the end of WoW for that matter. Both games are amazing and have only grown. Other MMO's died due to a horrible change ( star wars ) or no longer an interest to update content / restricted by the way the game is played ( Diablo 1, single dungeon gets old ).

Another important fact is the anti cheat systems in both RS and WoW. I think a legit playing style keeps people entertained as they have an equal chance to compete with everyone. ( I'm aware there were hacks / exploits / blah blah in RS, but they have been fixed - duping etc ).

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

In a recent interview, didn't a Mod say that he wants quests to be made until there's 50 for each skill?

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion