Where will it all end for Runescape

sirlonewolf

Have anyone ever stop to think were it all will end with all the updates to runescape will it come to a stop the day wen runescape gets so big from all the updates that it can take no more.

Will it end the game or will there still be players playing it like runescape classic. ( Maybe this will be the start of runescape 3 with levels higher than level 99 )

I got the idea wen i was thinking of all the skills and what improvements there can be made to them

and if every skill gets a update to it that gives something to do form level 1 to level 99 what is there left to add to them, if u have weapons and armor at level 99 thats it that will the best of the best and no more updates.

Some updates like quests can nearly goon for ever but not every player plays runescape for the quests and new contents like mini games can give limited extra live span to the game but how many players play the mini game after the first month of release. New contents like the planed eastern lands will give a lot of extra life to the game if done right.

Skill are the other new contens that can give the game new life and longlivty to the game but for how long and how many more skills can the game take, ( one f2p skill on its way ) skills need to be useful and not like firemaking.

So my question is where will it all end and how long will it take for runescape to grind to a halt wen there is no more to update in he game.

Ps: Sorry for Any spelling and or grammar mistakes i am not English

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, don't worry about your English as it is excellent. If you had not said anything I would not have been able to tell.

As for your point, I think that all of us realize, on some level, that RuneScape will not last forever. Nothing does. However, if the content eventually does reach the point where the engine is no longer capable of running the updates, then Jagex may indeed bring forth RS3 and we will have content above level 99 (that will be something to see, eh?).

As long as Jagex continues to be committed to, and have employees who play, RuneScape we will continue to have updates and content brought forth by people who care about making the game better as a whole and we will keep playing.

Any ending point for RS will be many years off if Jagex continues with the pattern of success that got them here in the first place.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

There is no reason for runescape to "end"

Its profitable, the game ONLY downloads like 100mb to your system (and this number has been the same pretty much ever since HD came out so like 2ish years of updates is less than 1mb more), the game specs are major lowly in terms of modern computing. In fact any "basic" machine bought now should have atleast double the req specs.

So there is no logical reason for rs to stop getting update and end

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Paw pretty much summed up my thoughts. I dont think Runescape will end as long as there are dedicated people and players who all want the game to become better.

Firstly, don't worry about your English as it is excellent. If you had not said anything I would not have been able to tell.

As for your point, I think that all of us realize, on some level, that RuneScape will not last forever. Nothing does. However, if the content eventually does reach the point where the engine is no longer capable of running the updates, then Jagex may indeed bring forth RS3 and we will have content above level 99 (that will be something to see, eh?).

As long as Jagex continues to be committed to, and have employees who play, RuneScape we will continue to have updates and content brought forth by people who care about making the game better as a whole and we will keep playing.

Any ending point for RS will be many years off if Jagex continues with the pattern of success that got them here in the first place.

Thanks for the complements on my English and the comments on my post.

There is no reason for runescape to "end"

Its profitable, the game ONLY downloads like 100mb to your system (and this number has been the same pretty much ever since HD came out so like 2ish years of updates is less than 1mb more), the game specs are major lowly in terms of modern computing. In fact any "basic" machine bought now should have atleast double the req specs.

So there is no logical reason for rs to stop getting update and end

Its not the size and not the systems specs i am talking about but wen the game runs out of space for update like he limit of the 99 level and how many more skills and mini game can really still be fitted into the game without cluttering up the the game past the point that there is to much to do and maybe beyond what the java game engine can handle.

Paw pretty much summed up my thoughts. I dont think Runescape will end as long as there are dedicated people and players who all want the game to become better.

Ever game has a end to its live span and runescape is no different but i don't think that the end is likely to be close for runescape.

That not to say that the level limit off 99 is going to make it easy for jagex to keep all the skills updated for ever there is only so much u can do till there no more u can add to make it better.

Runescape will end with Andrew sells off his shares of Jagex to some company that isn't interested in running its business model.

And as far as I'm concerned, runescape will end when I quit. :P

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Jagex' RuneScape will end someday, you cannot deny that. Some dedicated players might run "private servers" like Jagex' and might run that way. But the "official" RuneScape will some day, end.

But when? I have on idea. We would have to look into the histories of other MMOs, which I know little about. My guess though, is when total players reach a couple million Jagex will have to shrink and thus less updates. With less updates, more and more people leave to the point Jagex feels no point in running the game anymore.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Hm.

When the founders leave the company, it might not change much but maybe it'll change the feel of the game.

But Runescape is very different on many levels from when it started.

Of course, when the profits shrink and they have to shrink their worforce down to a dozen, then the game is over since i don't think Andrew&originals will have enough "spirit" left to run the game. But when does happen? Well, if nothing drastic happens i would say in 2015+.

For me personally, it will be over when i'm totally bored with it (i stay away from the game a couple of months every year, which makes it feel fresh). Or when i'm banned or hacked to shreds. I don't feel like starting over when i began eight years ago.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Years and years, unless something drastic happens. New people join all the time, and not everyone quits.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It will end eventually, but I feel that we will still have Runescape for many years to come.

Like the above poster said, the number of people joining the game outnumbers the amount that quits. It's like the next generation of Runescape that keeps passing down. It's true that although at one point, the updates will be so limited to the 99 cap that there is nothing more that they can do. That is where the higher levels will quit and the "next generation" will step up and so fourth.

I believe this cycle will continue until the day technoloy becomes so advanced that we have no use for computers anymore, but I'll be dead by then so meh..

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

I don't think there would be a wall for skills. If Jagex wanted to improve skills, they can always remove the 99 cap, and allow people to go up to 199 in any skills, giving more potential for new updates for all the skills, as there is 100 more levels to update. You can keep the skillcape for 99, but at lvl199, you can maybe get an upper skillcape, or a "ultimate" object/ability for that skill. E.g. Cooking, having the skills to never burn anything, when cooking on your hands.

I don't think there would be a wall for skills. If Jagex wanted to improve skills, they can always remove the 99 cap, and allow people to go up to 199 in any skills, giving more potential for new updates for all the skills, as there is 100 more levels to update. You can keep the skillcape for 99, but at lvl199, you can maybe get an upper skillcape, or a "ultimate" object/ability for that skill. E.g. Cooking, having the skills to never burn anything, when cooking on your hands.

If they were going to do that, they're going to have to do something about the exp/level rate. I think I've read somewhere that the 200M exp mark would only be level 113. For level 199 it must be in the trillions... :blink:

But break down that wall and we can definitely see a lvl 199 Ultimate Cooking Cape.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

If they were going to do that, they're going to have to do something about the exp/level rate. I think I've read somewhere that the 200M exp mark would only be level 113. For level 199 it must be in the trillions... :blink:

But break down that wall and we can definitely see a lvl 199 Ultimate Cooking Cape.

Actually it is lvl 126. I don't think that they'd do that with the Skill Capes out. Honestly, I don't think Jagex will ever quit. They've already released so many new plans and such for quests and areas. Even if the never updated anything ever again, I'd keep playing, of course the higher levels will quit.

By "never quit" I mean I don't think so for th next 20 years. By then I'll be done with it though.

Well Runescape will die that the day new players simply don't want to join. A few leaving vets are inevitable but when runescape starts losing new members and more people are leaving than joining... then they have to do something drastic or the game's fate is sealed.

This could be for a variety of reasons.

Mainly these 4 reasons

Complexity - This supposedly happened with mtg. In short. The game was hard to understand. Difficult to do well. Kind of like letting the uninitiated do some safe pking in castle wars. He will get killed all the time and doesn't understand the intricacies of the game. Rs has avoided this for the most part (Low level pking and low level pures is one exception.)

Community - Most people don't like to hang with people they hate. New players won't join the game if they are harassed, Flamed or trolled too much. This is up to the community.

Cost - If rs cost the same or more than wow would as many people still play it? let alone join? Would timmy even try rs if there was no f2p and it cost 30$ a month? Jagex avoided this one.

Entry barrier - If a sword requires 30million xp in attack to wield. It can daunt newer players. I'd quit rs if to play the way i wanted to i had to have 200mil exp in every skill.

Not being able to chose how you play can be one of the biggest turnoffs a game can have. (Runescape has avoided this for the most part)

New player flow can be cut off.

For any of the above reasons.

Nah...

Look at the number of players now. From those players, look at the ones that consistently demand for updates and changes (hint hint: RANT FORUM).

As long as there is popular demand, Runescape will continue to keep going.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

It can only go so far. As for skills reaching the wall, yes, it will happen eventually. As for Jagex' solution, who really knows? Why not remove the skill cap completely, and allow players to keep going up in their skills? Of course this could prove troublesome in PvP and such, but it would give you a greater incentive to keep training beyond 99. Of course this would probably see the end of skillcapes, but people will just have to live with that. With no cap on skill levelling, we can see new content added for people of x level whenever Jagex feels like it, so they won't be backed into a wall.

If you look at other MMO's that are combat based, the way they keep the game fresh is by releasing new gear with every expansion and raising the level cap (I believe GW2 mentioned removing the level cap altogether!). It doesn't work that way in runescape. We get regular updates rather than "expansions", or a large swathe of updates every 6 months or so. Also, all skill or combat related items are based solely on the level you are in that skill (like 70 att for a godsword). Problem is, the level cap doesn't actually raise high enough to allow the game to introduce a larger variety of weapons, armour, and tools to use in skilling/combat.

So, if they removed the level cap altogether, we can have these awesome weapons that hit in the hundreds, or even thousands! Levelling will have to be cahnged, as well as exp rates, AND damage bonuses from weapons, etc. but in the long run it would allow the game to keep growing.

As for quests, land, and minigames, they pretty much have it all covered for the next couple of years :P.

disturbeda.png

Instead of breaking the 99 level barrier, which wouldnt solve as much as many ppl think,

they could continue to introduce actions that require multiple skills at once,

like they did with the new agility requirements for catching butterflies.

Tsjilp.png

Well Runescape will die that the day new players simply don't want to join. A few leaving vets are inevitable but when runescape starts losing new members and more people are leaving than joining... then they have to do something drastic or the game's fate is sealed.

This could be for a variety of reasons.

Mainly these 4 reasons

Complexity - This supposedly happened with mtg. In short. The game was hard to understand. Difficult to do well. Kind of like letting the uninitiated do some safe pking in castle wars. He will get killed all the time and doesn't understand the intricacies of the game. Rs has avoided this for the most part (Low level pking and low level pures is one exception.)

Community - Most people don't like to hang with people they hate. New players won't join the game if they are harassed, Flamed or trolled too much. This is up to the community.

Cost - If rs cost the same or more than wow would as many people still play it? let alone join? Would timmy even try rs if there was no f2p and it cost 30$ a month? Jagex avoided this one.

Entry barrier - If a sword requires 30million xp in attack to wield. It can daunt newer players. I'd quit rs if to play the way i wanted to i had to have 200mil exp in every skill.

Not being able to chose how you play can be one of the biggest turnoffs a game can have. (Runescape has avoided this for the most part)

New player flow can be cut off.

For any of the above reasons.

Oo i thought this thread was about content.

But yea i agree here.

Theres also bad updates. How many people quit cause of the removal of pking? there used to be a lot more people online at any given time.

Also the entry barrier is happening. Its not xp thats the problem its the new inflation. Jagex is smart and welfare items are not effected because their balanced by shop prices. So new players will have a reasonable challenge still but wont be daunted. The group whos most effected are the players who have played 6 months or so go members and want their whips or barrows. 6mil for either item isnt much but what if they reached 60mil? and could never be bought in the ge cause of a separate street price? the somewhat new player then would quit.

And communitywise rs has one of the worst out of any game ive played. Besides community sites like tip it the ingame community is terrible. People are rude/mean and immature, especially among new players.

Update wise we got many years to come. But i have notice rs reached its maximum size in popularity around 05-06. Its slowly declining. Personally i wouldnt mind another mini-clip generation to get some players back

I'm mostly referring to new/old player ratios. Old players leaving is inevitable. And sometimes you have to take a short term loss for a long term gain.

The pking updates hardly affect new players coming in because they didn't know of the old way.