28-Jan-2010 - RuneScape Q&A � Mark Gerhard Answers

Toad

Weve read through all of the questions and sent them on to the relevant teams here at Jagex. Now its time for the first batch of answers from Jagexs CEO, Mark Gerhard.

The questions answered in this batch deal with matters about RuneScape and Jagex as a whole. Weve posted the questions and answers on this forum thread, so you can discuss the answers.

Mark Gerhard's (Mod MMG) live Q&A session will be held on this forum thread tonight, running from 8-10pm (GMT).

Remember that this is just the first batch of answers, and that other questions will be covered in different teams Q&A sessions.

Id also like to emphasise how important these sessions are to us. While were all busy working on RuneScape and other Jagex games, we know it's important to make time for our players to share their views and ask us questions on a whole range of areas. After all, you are the community, and we want to know what you want to know.

Mod Kelvin

Head of Community Management

Quick find code: 13-14-746-60289341 <- Previous answers

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello there! My question is: have you ever considered the idea of a RuneScape client, and why/why not? Thank you and congratulations on all the success.

Yes, we are working on creating a client that can be downloaded if you dont have Java installed or if you prefer not to play in your browser. This should be coming very soon.

I hope this eradicates whitescreening :P

2. Do you see RuneScape being around 20 years from now? How about 50 years?

Yes, and Oh, YES!

it's nice to see that they're past iddison's five year estimate and comitted to the game for a long time. didn't realise the stance had changed

Iddison's 5 years plan was not the estimate time RS would be around, it was their plan that RS would be their priority for the next five years.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

2. Do you see RuneScape being around 20 years from now? How about 50 years?

Yes, and Oh, YES!

it's nice to see that they're past iddison's five year estimate and comitted to the game for a long time. didn't realise the stance had changed

Iddison's 5 years plan was not the estimate time RS would be around, it was their plan that RS would be their priority for the next five years.

I know that

Are there any plans to make a downloadable version of RuneScape?

Yes indeed, watch this space for an update on this soon.

interesting

Hello there! My question is: have you ever considered the idea of a RuneScape client, and why/why not? Thank you and congratulations on all the success.

Yes, we are working on creating a client that can be downloaded if you dont have Java installed or if you prefer not to play in your browser. This should be coming very soon.

You guy do understand this means non-java client, ie the ability to easily port RS to consoles right?

That alone is a massive deal. Pretty much confirms RS will go only consoles pretty soon.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

You guy do understand this means non-java client, ie the ability to easily port RS to consoles right?

That alone is a massive deal. Pretty much confirms RS will go only consoles pretty soon.

I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that far. :huh:

He keeps hinting at the new skill being 'soon'. I'm going to guesstimate towards the end of February maybe? I'm interested in this new SD graphics update that it's supposedly getting. It'd be nice to have better graphics on SD - of course as long as they don't make it laggy.

1. You said that F2P wasn't a demo, so will there be some new places for F2P?

Watch this space for new content coming soon.

I'm interested in 'new places' does this mean that the new skill will come with some sort of land mass?

Y'know... like the sort you SAIL to? :ohnoes:

(I'm seriously interested, though :P)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

incorrect. the transition to consoles, if possible, is not just graphical - it means there needs to be plenty of cooperation between jagex and the companies involved - plenty of negotiations, deals etc to be done. that is if they even want to have runescape on the console (it could draw players away from other games). some of them will also want to squeeze as much money out of it as possible (microsoft).

so no, runebox360 is not coming soon at all.

mmg mentions it on the thread also.

Did anybody ask about the progress of that lawsuit against Jagex and the other MMO companies by some American company?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

incorrect. the transition to consoles, if possible, is not just graphical - it means there needs to be plenty of cooperation between jagex and the companies involved - plenty of negotiations, deals etc to be done. that is if they even want to have runescape on the console (it could draw players away from other games). some of them will also want to squeeze as much money out of it as possible (microsoft).

so no, runebox360 is not coming soon at all.

mmg mentions it on the thread also.

Aye, Mod Mark (Lead content developer) was in game the other day (not to be mistaken with Mod MMG) a player asked about consoles he said that you can only play it on Wii and Ps3 through browsing the internet on those consoles, otherwise you can't (360 is a closed network).

Jagex did offer it to the companies as a free game for people but they were like "what's the catch" sort of thing.

He keeps hinting at the new skill being 'soon'. I'm going to guesstimate towards the end of February maybe?

Just to help you translate MMG's language. "Soon" means "this year" and" very soon" means "in the next few months".

[404] Signature not found.

He keeps hinting at the new skill being 'soon'. I'm going to guesstimate towards the end of February maybe?

Just to help you translate MMG's language. "Soon" means "this year" and" very soon" means "in the next few months".

Haha. You might be right about that. It is likely later than that, but I'm being hopeful :pray:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Haha. You might be right about that. It is likely later than that, but I'm being hopeful :pray:

Not to give you guys false hope but my RuneScape skill clock thinks late february - late march (don't quote me it's just my gut instinct it also says pasta for dinner)

Not to give you guys false hope but my RuneScape skill clock thinks late february - late march (don't quote me it's just my gut instinct it also says pasta for dinner)

Well your gut instinct matches my gut instinct so maybe :ohnoes:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I really hope mmg isn't a fan of valve time

In your last Q&A session, Mr. Gerhard, you loved one player's idea to have worldwide PvP Worlds and Bounty Hunter Worlds. You then later updated some Bounty Worlds to be (+1) worlds. Why can't we also have PvP Worlds (+1)? It used to be a lot of fun to be able to PK at Varrock Square and Falador. Now we can no longer take our whips, Saradomin swords, godswords and dragon claws into a PvP World (which in my opinion are more fun than Bounty Worlds) without the high risk of losing them. PvP Worlds (+1) would be a great idea! :)

Its a great idea, Shortstak, although we find only about 10% of our players are PvPers so we need to balance our development efforts between PVP upgrades and other content updates.

1. Goes to BH code(10 minutes)

2. Selects+copies prot item code(20 mins)

3. Goes to Pvp world code...(20 minutes)

4. Finds prot item code(20 minutes)

5. Deletes PVP worlds prot item code and replaces with that of BH(1 minute)

6. Launches update(can go along other updates, no extra time involved)

Total 1 hour and 11 minutes..

Stupid mod mmg tbh

Well your gut instinct matches my gut instinct so maybe :ohnoes:

Yes I hope it's pasta too

Going a little off topic, but seeing Jagex, it'll get postponed around 2 times or so.

Hmmm!!

Anyways, why are Jmods being so secretive about the Strange Power anyways, not even a proper anagram (I can't tell you or Acolyte Until isn't really much of an anagram...)

Going a little off topic, but seeing Jagex, it'll get postponed around 2 times or so.

Hmmm!!

Anyways, why are Jmods being so secretive about the Strange Power anyways, not even a proper anagram (I can't tell you or Acolyte Until isn't really much of an anagram...)

We wouldn't have a 35+ page topic on it if they gave us more information. The lack of any is what creates the excitement. Its another 'chairs you can sit on!' moment.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Hmmm!!

We wouldn't have a 35+ page topic on it if they gave us more information. The lack of any is what creates the excitement. Its another 'chairs you can sit on!' moment.

Well chairs you can sit on there wasn't much speculation about, me and friends joked about that sarcastically.. then we realised it was construction

In your last Q&A session, Mr. Gerhard, you loved one player's idea to have worldwide PvP Worlds and Bounty Hunter Worlds. You then later updated some Bounty Worlds to be (+1) worlds. Why can't we also have PvP Worlds (+1)? It used to be a lot of fun to be able to PK at Varrock Square and Falador. Now we can no longer take our whips, Saradomin swords, godswords and dragon claws into a PvP World (which in my opinion are more fun than Bounty Worlds) without the high risk of losing them. PvP Worlds (+1) would be a great idea! :)

It's a great idea, Shortstak, although we find only about 10% of our players are PvPers so we need to balance our development efforts between PVP upgrades and other content updates.

1. Goes to BH code(10 minutes)

2. Selects+copies prot item code(20 mins)

3. Goes to Pvp world code...(20 minutes)

4. Finds prot item code(20 minutes)

5. Deletes PVP worlds prot item code and replaces with that of BH(1 minute)

6. Launches update(can go along other updates, no extra time involved)

Total 1 hour and 11 minutes..

Stupid mod mmg tbh

Yeah, because programming something like this (and testing it so it doesn't break other stuff) only takes an hour and 11 minutes. rolleyes.gif

On-topic: I'll be at school for the time it's running (and likely in the middle of a lecture), but I'll have my laptop, too. Too bad, I kind of wanted to ask some questions about how he thought the year would turn out, or if it'd be better or worse than last year in his opinion. Should be fun to read the questions/answers he gets, though. :)

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Yeah, because programming something like this (and testing it so it doesn't break other stuff) only takes an hour and 11 minutes.

It does, since it's not complicated at all. It has never failed in Bh+1, why should it in a pvp world?

Without even looking at the code I can predict it will be identical to pvp worlds except for the loot/target system and the area requirements,