Tip.it Times 31 January 2010

Mirror

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Runescape Dinosaur article perfectly describes the way I play, no I don't want to friend you, please don't talk to me and please don't bother my training.

Ditto. I mean, I don't mind answering a question or helping someone out real quick while I'm at the bank or something--like if someone needs a potion I have the level/ingredients for--but while I'm running around doing stuff? I'm not gonna lead your behind to some location way the heck away from whatever I'm doing/going. -.-

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Regarding the 2nd article, I think the author is a little biased.

Especially regarding this statement:

A majority of players that I have interacted with related me that they’ve never been in any clans. The reason that is most commonly given reason is because of bad experiences with clans.

1) If players have never been in any clans, how would their reasoning be that they've had bad experience with clans, considering they have never been in any clans? How can you say you don't like something if you have never tried it.

2) Every single person I know or have on my friends list has been in a clan at one point of another. Some clans are "community clans", some are "skilling clans" or "pk'ing clans", but at one point or another all of them were in one. I guess you could say my opinion is a little biased because I've met all my friends through the clans I've been in.

The tip.it community tends to be more of a solo-ish community. There are a fair number of clans here, but most people in clans would not typically visit Tipit or their forums because they are busy in their own clan's activities/site.

Onto the topic at hand, the reasoning for the new content being developed for communities is simple.

Jagex wish to develop at least one piece of content for every group of individuals that play.

You may not like it, I may not like it. I think Jagex waste their time with PvP and should just remove it. I dislike boss-hunting at GodWars, and would rather Jagex remove the God Wars Dungeon. But I also understand a portion of players like these pieces of content. I play this game for me, and I don't enjoy the content listed above, but I feel like I can take a week of no content for me to make other people happy.

I understand Jagex want's to appeal to everyone and don't complain if I only have 2 updates of content to do a month. Keep in mind Jagex does not design this game for YOU, they design this game for EVERYONE.

If Jagex suddenly stopped making updates to help community and clans, how do you think they would feel? They would feel the same as if Jagex stopped making quests for you. Who are you to say how this game should be played or what should be fun. Essentially you are being discriminatory to the people who enjoy those things. It's like saying "Well [insert minority race] is not as good as my race, so they shouldn't get anything because only my race is more important".

So what I think you should consider is that, while it may have attributes of a single player game at times, in the end Runescape all revolves around the community to function. Jagex is just now starting to make updates for all aspects of the community rather that just part of it, unless of course you'd rather have them focus one just one part of the community?

Perhaps they should move some staff and stop making quests so they can focus on other "more important" parts of the community? Nobody I know does Quests anyways.[/sarcasm]

EDIT: Oh and by the way, if you think making videos is a small part of the community, perhaps you should do some research. "RSMV" results to about 53,800 videos on Youtube. And that's just music videos.

dawnsigblue-3.png

It's not fair to treat this as a zero-sum game. Community management and content teams are separate entities that do their job separately and receive separate funding. The content team is too busy making content to write developer blogs and speak directly to the players all day. You see the community management team handling all that because it's their job to do it, not the content team. They write the dev blogs, they talk to the players. They get paid to be ambassadors to the players like that.

Would you prefer the content team spend all their time writing dev blogs instead of actually making the content? They need to actually make the game. (Actually, I would like it a lot if they wrote them more often, but I've done my share of writing and it can take a lot of time to get a good blog like that done, so I can understand.)

I would prefer if Jagex invested more money in the content team (receive more of that separate funding) than in the CM team if the CM team doesn't actually have an open customer support connection to the general public. If there were more developers to go around, there would be more projects in the work at any one time, meaning each project could be carefully manicured to perfection when it is nearing release (instead of being released with bugs or pushed back).

as for hiring more content developers, look at this graph (from mechscapeworld):

0809-jagex_employees.png

And keep in mind that MMG said they already have a full decade's worth of content in the works on schedule to be released at regular intervals. So, I mean, it's not like it would be bad for them to hire more content people, but it's not like things are going so badly as it is. At least not in any visible way.

Recent updates have been suffering from a big lack of quality, of the "oomph" that makes you want to replay the update. All of the quests have been short and the dungeons have followed the set formulas. Let me quote from a different diary:

We then build the game. This simple statement incorporates a lot of work. Graphics and audio work needs to be allocated, performed and scheduled to arrive with the developer at the correct time. We work using build iterations: we add something, playtest it and change it until it works the way we anticipated. Sometimes we need to completely remove elements we've added, because they just didn't work the way we thought they would. And so the game progresses: add, test, refine/reject/replace, test again and so on, until we've got the best result we think we can get.

I'm pretty sure that Jagex doesn't consider a quest that takes 10 minutes to complete to be "the best result we think we can get." With RS getting bigger every year, each unique idea that comes up needs to be milked so that it leaves a substantial piece of itself in 'Scape. Forgive me if I don't jump out of my boots at a 2 percent increase in the number of developers. The removal of customer support suddenly liberated ALL those customer relations people, whose numbers only fell 2.5%. If Jagex kept them on, then they need to increase the size of the content team a great amount to keep the working ratio going.

It's a testament to how complicated RS has become that only 94 people in content and QA combined managed to churn out all the great stuff from 2006-2007, the golden year of RuneScape. Updates have dropped vastly in number, and while that is to be expected as a game grows, the lack of an increase in playability means things are still getting rushed. Just adding another 20 developers, 4 graphic artists, 1 music track mixer, and 5 QA testers would allow another 15 or so projects to be designed simultaneously, meaning each project can be given the time it deserves to make sure it fits in the game. Even if these projects take 8 months each, we are still getting 24 more high-quality updates per year - another 2 for every month. Obviously it won't always shake out this way, but it should be pretty clear that even minor increases should vastly increase quality without sacrificing quantity.

2496 Completionist

Recent updates have been suffering from a big lack of quality, of the "oomph" that makes you want to replay the update. All of the quests have been short and the dungeons have followed the set formulas. Let me quote from a different diary:

We then build the game. This simple statement incorporates a lot of work. Graphics and audio work needs to be allocated, performed and scheduled to arrive with the developer at the correct time. We work using build iterations: we add something, playtest it and change it until it works the way we anticipated. Sometimes we need to completely remove elements we've added, because they just didn't work the way we thought they would. And so the game progresses: add, test, refine/reject/replace, test again and so on, until we've got the best result we think we can get.

I'm pretty sure that Jagex doesn't consider a quest that takes 10 minutes to complete to be "the best result we think we can get." With RS getting bigger every year, each unique idea that comes up needs to be milked so that it leaves a substantial piece of itself in 'Scape. Forgive me if I don't jump out of my boots at a 2 percent increase in the number of developers. The removal of customer support suddenly liberated ALL those customer relations people, whose numbers only fell 2.5%. If Jagex kept them on, then they need to increase the size of the content team a great amount to keep the working ratio going.

No, a 10-minute quest does kind of suck. Which is why In Pyre Need and Perils of Ice Mountain and All Fired Up were crappy updates. All of them came before the community management push, though, so there doesn't seem to be any correlation. In fact, since MMG took over, we saw awesome streaks of updates like Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf, Living Rock Caverns, Ardougne Diary, High-level potions, and Temple at Senntisten, as well as Nomad's Requiem which is debatable but definitely had the most epic boss fight in the game's history and certainly took me hours just to solve the puzzles.

No, a 10-minute quest does kind of suck. Which is why In Pyre Need and Perils of Ice Mountain and All Fired Up were crappy updates. All of them came before the community management push, though, so there doesn't seem to be any correlation. In fact, since MMG took over, we saw awesome streaks of updates like Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf, Living Rock Caverns, Ardougne Diary, High-level potions, and Temple at Senntisten, as well as Nomad's Requiem which is debatable but definitely had the most epic boss fight in the game's history and certainly took me hours just to solve the puzzles.

I went over all that in my last post:

-Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf took 10 minutes as a quest, that is simply unacceptable for something that lets you fight for a dragon pickaxe

-Living Rock Caverns was pretty much the only legitimate update as it released a new game element: resources that collapsed based on a timer, not on the number of items they held

-High-level potions and Ardougne diaries are very minimal updates in terms of effort. Yes, their effects were awesome, but the burden of creating those lied mainly on balancing and not developing.

-Temple at Senntisten was your average 30-45 minute quest, nothing new...quests need to become harder...

-Nomad's Requiem did not even come close to qualifying as a grandmaster quest. It took me less than an hour: the biggest puzzle, the 3x3 shifting block puzzle, took me maybe 5-8 minutes. I did not die once the entire quest.

This is what I meant by 10-minute quests in the first place...Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf and an herblore update that had to be fixed after release and that screwed up the economy bad for months. The ideas are in place, but it just seems to be so rushed and overlooked.

2496 Completionist

First article was very good, always love tyhose kinds of articles :).

Second article was interesting. I agree that all the updates lately have been extremely boring from my point of view, because all they are is Machinima video competitions. Even though I enjoy watching the videos and everything, I didn't really want their major update for the week to be something I don't want to participate in. The Orb of Oculus will be quite interesting as well, but again I feel the same way because all it does is fill up another update slot that could better be spent on developing something else.

Clans are a pretty big part of the game however, because they bring people together that enjoy a certain skill(s), boss hunting, PvP, etc. and do what they like to do, so technically they are playing the game because they want to play the game, like you are stating in the article. Clan support is quite overrated, because clans aren't the thing that keeps the game going, but they still deserve the support that the get from Jagex.

Sorry if my post is kinda wierd, I am feeling kinda light-headed :P.

disturbeda.png

I went over all that in my last post:

-Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf took 10 minutes as a quest, that is simply unacceptable for something that lets you fight for a dragon pickaxe

-Living Rock Caverns was pretty much the only legitimate update as it released a new game element: resources that collapsed based on a timer, not on the number of items they held

-High-level potions and Ardougne diaries are very minimal updates in terms of effort. Yes, their effects were awesome, but the burden of creating those lied mainly on balancing and not developing.

-Temple at Senntisten was your average 30-45 minute quest, nothing new...quests need to become harder...

-Nomad's Requiem did not even come close to qualifying as a grandmaster quest. It took me less than an hour: the biggest puzzle, the 3x3 shifting block puzzle, took me maybe 5-8 minutes. I did not die once the entire quest.

This is what I meant by 10-minute quests in the first place...Forgiveness of a Chaos Dwarf and an herblore update that had to be fixed after release and that screwed up the economy bad for months. The ideas are in place, but it just seems to be so rushed and overlooked.

Plenty of people DID struggle with the Nomad.

Besides your not the one who decides what a grandmaster quest is or isnt Jagex is.

But your other points i do agree with.

I understand that Nomad was hard for some players. Nevertheless, a grandmaster quest is meant to be extremely challenging, and Nomad can be taken down by anyone once they get comfortable with his patterns and find a good strategy. Even the quest developer thought he was too easy - that is true proof that the final boss fight does not override the extremely short puzzles/plotline enough to qualify it as a grandmaster quest. I personally believe that such quest bosses should have strength relative to each player's levels, perhaps with a slight curve, although that's another story. Bottom line: the questcape is a privelege, not a right, and even if Nomad took you several tries the quest was quite straightforward, short, safe, and easy.

2496 Completionist

Clans only impact upon the people active in them. They make little to no positive difference to the gaming experience of other people. Lately the updates have been catering towards not the majority, but those with the loudest voices.

I agree with Me_Hate_Libs on just about every topic. This one is no different. I consider her the voice of the mature-minded player.

SoLawny.png

I understand that Nomad was hard for some players. Nevertheless, a grandmaster quest is meant to be extremely challenging, and Nomad can be taken down by anyone once they get comfortable with his patterns and find a good strategy. Even the quest developer thought he was too easy - that is true proof that the final boss fight does not override the extremely short puzzles/plotline enough to qualify it as a grandmaster quest. I personally believe that such quest bosses should have strength relative to each player's levels, perhaps with a slight curve, although that's another story. Bottom line: the questcape is a privelege, not a right, and even if Nomad took you several tries the quest was quite straightforward, short, safe, and easy.

I'm surprised you don't bring up more issues with Nomad's Requiem... Numerous combat maxed (and even fully skill maxed) friends agree with me that the grading of a quest should not solely be based on a rather pointless fight. In this instance, if you took the fight out of the quest it would most likely barely even qualify as a Hard quest, which then begs the question be asked what does a Quest Cape signify? The storyline was completely lacking, springing out of nowhere with seemingly no direction at all. I should just add that the people whose opinions I refer to (including myself) are all holders of the Quest Cape and have beaten Nomad some way or another.

I would point out that Nomad's attacks are in some way related to player level, if in no other manner than his -1 attack, and having spoken to lower levelled players they seemed to find it easier than I did. Of course, it's a hard one to prove, but there you have it.

Numerous combat maxed (and even fully skill maxed) friends agree with me that the grading of a quest should not solely be based on a rather pointless fight.

What's this supposed to mean? Max combat and skills makes you automatically the perfect judge of difficulty? :huh:

In this instance, if you took the fight out of the quest it would most likely barely even qualify as a Hard quest, which then begs the question be asked what does a Quest Cape signify?

Yes, you could ask that. If they took the boss fight out of the game. Which they didn't. But of course, if they did, you could ask it, and the answer would be that it still signifies the exact same thing it always has, which is 100% quest completion. But that's if they took out the boss fight. As it is, it only signifies that you singlehandedly took down the toughest monster in the game. Oh, and every other quest. Don't forget that. :rolleyes:

Regarding the 2nd article, I think the author is a little biased.

Especially regarding this statement:

A majority of players that I have interacted with related me that theyve never been in any clans. The reason that is most commonly given reason is because of bad experiences with clans.

1) If players have never been in any clans, how would their reasoning be that they've had bad experience with clans, considering they have never been in any clans? How can you say you don't like something if you have never tried it.

If the mere thought of joining a clan is already a negative one, then indeed we did have negative experiences with clans.

But I think they might mean that they have dealt with people who are part of clans. And this experience was bad.

I'm a dinosaur btw.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Numerous combat maxed (and even fully skill maxed) friends agree with me that the grading of a quest should not solely be based on a rather pointless fight.

What's this supposed to mean? Max combat and skills makes you automatically the perfect judge of difficulty? :huh:

In this instance, if you took the fight out of the quest it would most likely barely even qualify as a Hard quest, which then begs the question be asked what does a Quest Cape signify?

Yes, you could ask that. If they took the boss fight out of the game. Which they didn't. But of course, if they did, you could ask it, and the answer would be that it still signifies the exact same thing it always has, which is 100% quest completion. But that's if they took out the boss fight. As it is, it only signifies that you singlehandedly took down the toughest monster in the game. Oh, and every other quest. Don't forget that. :rolleyes:

No, but if maxed combat/all skill players can't see the point of it then that to me says a lot about an update.

Fair points about what a questcape signifies, it wasn't really what I meant to say. My biggest gripe about that quest is that it was rubbish. The fight was tricky, and it felt great to beat it, but the quest on the whole was a great big pile of cack. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new-found exclusivity of my quest cape, and I love the +12 prayer bonus of the SW cape, but did I think it was a good quest? No. Was it even remotely close to WGS? No.

No, but if maxed combat/all skill players can't see the point of it then that to me says a lot about an update.

Fair points about what a questcape signifies, it wasn't really what I meant to say. My biggest gripe about that quest is that it was rubbish. The fight was tricky, and it felt great to beat it, but the quest on the whole was a great big pile of cack. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the new-found exclusivity of my quest cape, and I love the +12 prayer bonus of the SW cape, but did I think it was a good quest? No. Was it even remotely close to WGS? No.

What? Just because soemone is maxed combat it doesn't mean they suddenly are more open minding and understanding about updates than lower levels, in fact I often find the opposite. When people reach higher levels - and this isn't everyone, I'm just saying - they tend to only see what benefits them so they will ONLY want high level content and the most elite things all for THEM. Because it doesn't meet their stupidly high standards they'll reject it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

What? Just because soemone is maxed combat it doesn't mean they suddenly are more open minding and understanding about updates than lower levels, in fact I often find the opposite. When people reach higher levels - and this isn't everyone, I'm just saying - they tend to only see what benefits them so they will ONLY want high level content and the most elite things all for THEM. Because it doesn't meet their stupidly high standards they'll reject it.

I agree Racheya, but you've taken my comments out of context of the single update I was speaking of which in fact technically DOES cater exactly to those people, namely the fight with Nomad. It is certainly the hardest quest fight in the game, and one of the hardest boss fights too, so maxed players have no right to complain that it's not hard enough. But that's not what I'm saying, or indeed what my friends are saying, they are in fact arguing that the quality of this quest was not in line with expectations based on WGS and the fight unfairly penalises everyone without the relatively high levels and disposable cash for supplies etc. None of those are a problem or obstacle for the high levelled players you vilify, but still they regard that penalty as an unfair restriction on the lower levelled players who used to pride themselves on their quest cape.

Edit: This is not to say that those comments reflect the general sentiment of all high levelled players, merely my friends and I. There are most certainly players who fit your summary, but those characteristics are not those shared by the people whose comments I am relaying here.

I agree Racheya, but you've taken my comments out of context of the single update I was speaking of which in fact technically DOES cater exactly to those people, namely the fight with Nomad. It is certainly the hardest quest fight in the game, and one of the hardest boss fights too, so maxed players have no right to complain that it's not hard enough. But that's not what I'm saying, or indeed what my friends are saying, they are in fact arguing that the quality of this quest was not in line with expectations based on WGS and the fight unfairly penalises everyone without the relatively high levels and disposable cash for supplies etc. None of those are a problem or obstacle for the high levelled players you vilify, but still they regard that penalty as an unfair restriction on the lower levelled players who used to pride themselves on their quest cape.

Edit: This is not to say that those comments reflect the general sentiment of all high levelled players, merely my friends and I. There are most certainly players who fit your summary, but those characteristics are not those shared by the people whose comments I am relaying here.

Fair enough with that, though this getting a bit off topic :P

I kind of agree with MHL (weird, I know D=). While I support more community orientated things like the Tip.It Events Team, where support from Jagex would be welcome, I also think that Jagex shouldn't forget that many people like the individualism that Runescape allows us to have. I'm not interested in socialising lots ingame, I'm interested in the actual game.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

That is very true. However, when Jagex themselves initially stamps "Grandmaster" on it, the expectations go up.

rssig2.png

I totally agree with the "Runescape Dinosaur" article. Even though people would probably consider me a noob, since I've only been playing for 7 months, in those 7 months, needless to say, I've become addicted. What first started as a distraction while my boyfriend (who would be considered, alumni to this game as long as he has been playing) manifested itself to a healthy obsession. Yes the first two months were 12 hour days, but this game has become so monstrous in activities. Combat, quests, money making, meeting random people, I can literally get on whenever and find something interesting to do. Of course, now I'm at the point where I can't gain 30 levels in one day. The 50k xp to my next attack level is depressing, and yes I have looked at level 99 and the required experience, but that's another topic altogether.

Looking at other players who I've met, who dabble in this and that when the mood strikes them, and standing around shooting the breeze asking for handouts and getting money to immediately blowing it on whatever strikes their mood. (the same people that drive you nuts when trying to beat you at mining or killing whatever you are training on) it makes me wish for a world for serious gamers, or gamers who are considerate. I still have the greatest pet peeve of being in a highly wanted area first and then having a stream of people driving me nuts so they can have it. If I jump worlds for 20 minutes they can too. Maybe a world based on age? Maturity comes with age, how about a world where your given age is a requirement?

...oh it seems I have babbled on to something completely different... Can this being my first post be an excuse? ;)

The latest update pretty much proves my point. The chunk of work allocated to the developer team lied in the realms of the orb thing (work for a different department) and on a quest that took me 6 minutes to complete. The vast majority of those 6 minutes was spent reading through the dialogues, teleporting around to get the runes I needed, and trying to figure out a way to get emeralds (uncut emeralds still buy, folks). That just plain out sucks.

2496 Completionist

I loved the first article, nice little references to things happening in RS.

As for the second, the article sounded a bit too much like a rant. Honestly, us clanners felt neglected for years until Jagex started adding back things that we needed, and now the REST of the world hates them? For doing something they should've started doing a long time ago? Honestly? Just because it's not an update for you, it doesn't mean it's not useful. Same with the Orb, and if you think about it, the "advancements in technology" they've made with the orb can help with other things, such as adding in WASD walking.

22031_s.gif

Me hate libs wasn't hating on clans. She is more along the lines of 'Let Jagex make a game, and let the community do their thing.

Reprase: MHL is NOT anti-clan at all.

Bruno totally has it right about the 2nd article.

MHL summed up perfectly tbf about clans. In my own opinion I think that clans are technically supporting a separation in community. Jagex made the game for single players and these single players then come together into the biggest clan of them all - the RS community, but with them continually doing things for clans and quite often the minority they're splitting this community. Props to her for such a good and readable article =D>

The first one was good fun, I enjoyed reading it because it provided a bit of light entertainment whilst I fished.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I can't agree enough with the 2nd tip-it. I swore off clans because I joined my closest friends clan we were each other 1st friend online it was her 2nd day it was my 1st when we meet. The clan destroyed our relationship and we didn't talk for nearly 2 years. I was the Clan banker two guys that had muscled there way up the ladder in the clan wanted what was in the bank and control of the bank to steal from the other clan members this was before trade limits. They used there little group of friends to dirty my name and to lie about so called abuses I'd was to have done. In the end they drove my best friend on RS mad and she ended our friendship and told me to leave the clan. Near two years later out of the blue she contacts me and tells me I was right that the Clan was in ruins the two nameless ones had kicked out all the old leaders including her and used the clan as there own bank and private army. We became friends again but two years had past and she just doesn't play anymore I can't help but think I was robbed of two years of good memories with her all over a stupid clan bank.

I DONT WANT OT SAY CLANS ARE BAD. Want to be clear here, but for Jagex to divert recourses to a side issues like you tube vids and Clans seem down right foolish. Jagex need to be working to keep the game fresh. They havent been working enough for the players, they seem focus on trying to force a community to grow and thats something that you just cant do.