Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

More New Items

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Numismaster
[ Display Name History ]

Numismaster

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Numismaster
  • RSN2:Sir Popalot
  • Clan:None
I was just wondering if the rate of new items (and more expensive ones too) being released in RS has increased or not and if this is helping to stem inflation in the RS economy. With the massive influx of raw gp from PVP statue drops, many players have sunk their cash into rares and semi-rares (like uncut onyx, pirate hook, 3rd age, etc) thus driving up their prices immensely. However, it seems like Jagex is releasing many pricey and uncommon items (basically items with high street price potential) that can act as new things for rich players to sink their money into.

Will this solve inflation in RS? Can enough expensive items be released to balance the incoming cash flow? Will this make it easier to buy high cost items in the future?

What do you think? :-k

Below is a list of "new" items added to the game. Because I started in 2008, I am not familiar with all of the release dates, release prices, street prices or general ecomomy of RS before I began (but I will try to research it). Any suggestions or positive criticism is greatly appreciatied. Thanks! :^_^:

Item Name....................Date Released....................Release Price....................Current Price....................Comments

Dark Bow.........................11 June 2007............................???
Dragonfire Shield...........18 June 2007..........................???
Dragon Full Helm..............3 July 2007...............................???
Armadyl Godsword..........28 August 2007......................???
Bandos Godsword...........28 August 2007......................???
Saradomin Godsword......28 August 2007......................???
Zamorak Godsword.........28 August 2007......................???
Armadyl Helmet...............28 August 2007......................???
Armadyl Chestplate........28 August 2007......................???
Armadyl Plateskirt...........28 August 2007......................???
Bandos Boots..................28 August 2007......................???
Bandos Chestplate.........28 August 2007......................???
Bandos Tassets..............28 August 2007......................???
Dragon Boots..................28 August 2007......................???
Saradomin Sword............28 August 2007......................???
Zamorakian Spear...........28 August 2007......................???
Arcane Spirit Shield.........15 September 2008................???
Divine Spirit Shield..........15 September 2008................???
Elisian Spirit Shield.........15 September 2008................??
Spectral Spirit Shield......15 September 2008................???
~ PvP is released, prices of certain high level armors and weapons begin to decline (since they are on the drop tables) ~ 15 October 2008
Corrupt Anchient Warrior's Equipment (17 pieces), 15 October 2008, ???
Corrupt Dragon Equipment (11 pieces), 15 October 2008, ???
Dragon Claws.................26 November 2008.................???
Dragon Platebody...........26 November 2008.................???
~ Certain items removed from PvP drop tables, artifacts are introduced, mass inflation begins ~ 16 June 2009
Ranging Amulet...............28 July 2009.............................???
Dragon Pickaxe...............9 September 2009..................???
~ High level Herblore update, becomes a greater money sink as herb prices rise ~ 7 October 2009
~ Anti-76k'ing measures introduced, slows cash inflow but inflation continues ~ 26 October 2009
~ Prayer curses introduced, becomes a greater money sink as bone prices rise ~ 3 December 2009
~Inflation begins to decline? (See graph of Dragon Full Helm) ~ Mid January 2010
Focus Sight.....................8 February 2010......................1.5M gp
Hexcrest.........................8 February 2010......................1.5M gp
Staff of Light...................8 February 2010......................10M gp
Royal Amulet...................22 February 2010....................175k gp
Royal Crown...................22 February 2010....................300k gp
Royal Leggings................22 February 2010.....................300k gp
Royal Sceptre..................22 February 2010.....................200k gp
Royal Shirt.......................22 February 2010.....................300k gp

Analysis of the price of a Dragon Full Helm:

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
Trading isn't a money sink...
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

jonni
[ Display Name History ]

jonni

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
trading for new items doesn't remove the excessive amount of money from the game.
and in any case, most people trade high-value items for other items, not raw cash.

Dragons_Might
[ Display Name History ]

Dragons_Might

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • Clan:SODB
I'm actually wondering how the release of those items were linked to the PVP inflation thing...

Dark bow/Godswords were before the GE came out.
Spirit shields were before the PVP "fix"
Forgot where Claws lay, I wanted to say before the PVP "fix" as well.

So all of those are from well before the inflation started, I'm just not understanding how you're relating the fact that their release is to help with the inflation at all.

Added to that, can you even consider those items new? Yea they're newer than some updates... but they're mostly years old..

And on a final note, as said above, trading isn't a money sink....
Posted Image

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

Duality64
[ Display Name History ]

Duality64

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • RSN:Duality64
  • RSN2:C o Bodom64
your forgetting bandos and armadyl armour
dragonfire shield
sara sword
zammy spear
barrows armour
I am Pure I am True I am all Over You...
I am Fear in the Night I am Bringer of Light

Duality64
Level 134

We are the Nightmare, the Chosen Silence
We are the Night

average1234
[ Display Name History ]

average1234

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 21 posts
I believe that the one problem is that when all the new items came out that they were "new" and people want to know what the can do. Theses items are all high hitting or high defensive states so the richer player will want to go monster hunting longer and more effectively. Like the amulet of ranging its only like 500k now but when it came out its was selling for like easy 20m. The biggest thing is that only really high leveled players can get it. EX: Darkbow 90 slayers, Claws 276 quest points i believe. Most of the items are used in pking for the high hits. This really all started because of killing some guy caring 76k cash and receiving a loot of 1m - 5m cash or items that are worth 30m like dfs or dragon full helm. (i know people that had enough cahs to buy 95 herblore from 60 in one week after extremes came out and 95 prayer when new prayer came out) all because of 76ker. Too much cash into peoples banks to buy theses items

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

Trading isn't a money sink...

trading for new items doesn't remove the excessive amount of money from the game.
and in any case, most people trade high-value items for other items, not raw cash.

These pretty much summed up my thoughts.
Inflation doesnt dissapear just because new items appear.

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Stringcheze
An increase in the value of items is deflationary, but only to the extent that the items are actually valuable. If there is initially 100m of coins entering the game and 100m of items, but the value of items is now 150m, the relative value of coins has increased - which is equivalent to real price levels falling, or deflation.

But there's no need to "fix" inflation - the PvP statues' effect has run its course, and price levels are stable once again. If anti-inflationary measures are introduced, we'll see deflation and chaos in the economy again.

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
More items ARE a money sink. Just think logicly. More items entering than cash entering => less cash per item. However, like Bladewing said, inflation has more or less reached its peak, in the sense that only the rarest items are affected only. Remember bandos plate shooting from 15m to 25m in a matter of weeks, this is gone.

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RSN:The Ancient

More items ARE a money sink. Just think logicly.

:mellow:

You're thinking about cash per player than net cash in the economy.

OT:
The only major moneysink that Jagex has released recently is summoning. we're long overdue for another sink.
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze

OT:
The only major moneysink that Jagex has released recently is summoning. we're long overdue for another sink.

Net cash in the economy? Net has no relevance there. And what you're thinking of is money supply. A higher money supply does not intrinsically necessitate higher price levels.

We do NOT need another money sink. The economy is stable - no need to [bleep] it up.

tortilliachp
[ Display Name History ]

tortilliachp

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • RSN:nacho
intelligent and relevant question for the next Q&A:

Does Jagex have an in-house economist for assessing how the runescape economy should progress? :)

anyway, based on the real-world capitalist model, an economy has to grow for it to improve, is that neccessarily true for runescape? If not, what kind of model for an economy would you want if you could choose any, as one can in the makings of a game?

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT

More items ARE a money sink. Just think logicly. More items entering than cash entering => less cash per item.

If you were thinking logclyer...

Define money sink. Also define "logicly"...

Money sinks take money out of the game. Even if there was less cash per item, it's not a money sink. However, there's probably enough 76king scumbags that are making enough inflation to negate the "less cash per item" idea. But sadly, that's not how inflation works.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Rageman192
[ Display Name History ]

Rageman192

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • RSN:Nagmare
I find it somehow ironic that your avatar is a picture of 1000mil gp.

Numismaster
[ Display Name History ]

Numismaster

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • RSN:Numismaster
  • RSN2:Sir Popalot
  • Clan:None
Thank you for your comments. I have updated the first post to reflect your suggestions and my research on the topic.

The point that I was getting at is that for a while tons of gp was entering the game and it had nowhere to go (relatively speaking). Thus, armors and weapons and rares were getting more expensive as more and more people were earning gp. This lead to shortages and hoarding, certain items became unbuyable, and junk trading boomed.

However, it appeared (at least to me) that Jagex decided to combat this inflation by finding new things for these rich players to spend their money on.

For example:

High level herblore updates make that skill appealing, herb prices rise, and tons of gp is "consumed".
Prayer curses make prayer training appealing, dragon bone prices rise, and tons of gp is "consumed".

As for certain unbuyable items, Jagex first tried to manually manipulate their prices. After that failed, they released those items in mass and henceforth flooded the market (good move in my opinion :thumbup: )

For example:

Water filled vials were unbuyable after the Herblore update, manual price manipulation fails, adding box packs to stores is very successful in reducing price and increasing availability.
Mints cakes become unbuyable as merchants hoard them, Jagex disapproves and nerfs mint cake drop rate, thus reducing price and increasing availability.

Therefore, I wondered if Jagex was going (or already has begun) to release more expensive trade-able items to "soak up" some of the excess gp left in the game. These updates and items appear to serve to diffuse gp more readily across the Runescape community and linking it more tightly together. For example, pkers with cash from pvp will spend some on armors and weapons obtained by monster hunters. These monster hunters will in turn spend some of their money on herblore supplies gathered by skillers. Skillers buy their seeds from others . . . and the "web of commerce" continues.

So, is this an effective way to reduce inflation? Is more needed?

What do you think?

P.S. My avatar is a picture of the largest drop party I've ever attended (1 billion cash!). I believe that this drop party was possible in part because of pvp cash, inflation, and merchanting. Hence it is relevant to the topic.

Duality64
[ Display Name History ]

Duality64

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • RSN:Duality64
  • RSN2:C o Bodom64
tbh i really dont think alot of new item will make the price stay the same on all the items for all the merchants and stocks that people are doing now these days would take forever to turn the g/e into a easy place to buy and keep items and a low cost
i think they where doing that for awhile when like bandos tasset was like 10m but the rich people think people that are not rich should not have those items so they starting to again the price i think the g/e should blance the prices out so merchants can not mess with the pirices alot but i sont think that will happen for awhile
I am Pure I am True I am all Over You...
I am Fear in the Night I am Bringer of Light

Duality64
Level 134

We are the Nightmare, the Chosen Silence
We are the Night

TheAncient
[ Display Name History ]

TheAncient

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,267 posts
  • RSN:The Ancient

OT:

Net cash in the economy? Net has no relevance there. And what you're thinking of is money supply. A higher money supply does not intrinsically necessitate higher price levels.

We do NOT need another money sink. The economy is stable - no need to [bleep] it up.

higher money supply is a factor in higher PLs. the relationship is complicated, but the two are pretty directly related.
higher PL isn't intrinsically bad. but when you have certain items which have a fixed gp value (i.e. anything that can be bought in a store, or has a fixed gp value in game), purchasing power varies greatly.
the economy is not stable. merch cc's reassure this. introducing a money sink is not inherently a bad thing. this should be obvious; for example, the fed both lowers and raises interest rates to increase and decrease money supply. decreasing it is good in times of excess inflation.

sorry if i'm not an econ major - i' took an intro econ class years ago - but "net cash" is my layman's term for money supply. and i think it fulfills the purpose of what i'm trying to say.

OT: I think to clarify the OP's terminology, he's referring to "inflation" and "deflation" (loosely used here) of the gp value of high level player accounts, in which case i agree that herb and pray were "money sinks", or more accurately a method of wealth distribution.

So, is this an effective way to reduce inflation? Is more needed?

how can you judge something like that? we have no standards for comparison. but in a very general sense, yes, jagex has redistributed wealth well.

the major problem now is that overloads and turmoil are overpowered. summoning, imo, was better in that it didn't imbalance combat, had really useful properties, and was an actual cash sink and not just a cash redistributor.
Posted Image
Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,475 posts
Prehaps he means that the new items are spreading the money out more

Guest_TrixStar_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_TrixStar_
  • Guests
Wonder why Jagex doesn't release new items with a super high starting point to buy. Staff of light should have started at 100 mil. At least then maybe it would stop the street pricing of item.s

3hitm4g3u
[ Display Name History ]

3hitm4g3u

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,482 posts

Wonder why Jagex doesn't release new items with a super high starting point to buy. Staff of light should have started at 100 mil. At least then maybe it would stop the street pricing of item.s

It wasn't worth 100M. If you could spec then change weapons I would agree.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users