Report post mod!

spling

It doesn't work for me when there are no mods online. If there was a report post button that would send the topic to a "for moderation queue" for the mods to review (that would pop up similar to PMs when a topic is reported), then the topic would be modded ASAP (as soon as a mod/admin gets online), and I wouldn't have to jot down the topic URL and wait until a mod comes online hours later- after the topic has effectively been turned into a large flamewar or off topic junkyard (for the most part).

Check out

RuneScript and RuneTracker!

sig37.gif

I find myself agreeing (sp?) with spling, however it could be open to abuse. Perhaps limit it to people with a minimum number in their post count or just to certain categories? Otherwise I could see this queue being overloaded by false reports (looks towards the PKer oriented boards) or just by people not knowing how to use the feature appropriately.

Either way, I have seen this mod mplemented on another community (RV) but every community is unique and it'd have to be be on a probationary period for a while as I see it.

Btw spling, nice 'TET FTW' part in ur avatar. Gratz on getting into the team :)

I find myself agreeing (sp?) with spling, however it could be open to abuse. Perhaps limit it to people with a minimum number in their post count or just to certain categories? Otherwise I could see this queue being overloaded by false reports (looks towards the PKer oriented boards) or just by people not knowing how to use the feature appropriately.

Either way, I have seen this mod mplemented on another community (RV) but every community is unique and it'd have to be be on a probationary period for a while as I see it.

Btw spling, nice 'TET FTW' part in ur avatar. Gratz on getting into the team :)

I do not agree with your only allowing above certain post counts, that really is not tip.it the way I know it.

we'd have to set up a confirmation page with certain rules to avoid useless reporting, but other than that, I think it may very well be worth a try.

but looking at ryan's post that seems kinda disconcerting, anywho, a good idea IMO

korla3eaqd3.jpg

Slightly off topic but following Ryan's link I found this interesting mod hehe... April Fools, lol.

I'm going to go even further off topic for a second and show you the coolest mod ever.

AI Mod

It sets up a bot on your forum that will reply to users posts and pm's. Once my dns finally resolves I'm going to install it :? [/url]

Slightly off topic but following Ryan's link I found this interesting mod hehe... April Fools, lol.

I'm going to go even further off topic for a second and show you the coolest mod ever.

AI Mod

It sets up a bot on your forum that will reply to users posts and pm's. Once my dns finally resolves I'm going to install it :? [/url]

Yeah i installed a 'Bot' on a set of forums before but not only was it vverry hard to install, but it really didn't lead to much except abuse - and the moderators where going nuts :D

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=319049&highlight=report

That's a link to the report mod. It's currently in ALPHA stage so I doubt we'd be seeing it anytime soon.

Yellow Card has been out of fully operational for a long time.

It's over at Area51 though ;)

Meh..maybe I should just stop posting links :lol:

I used to run the AI mod on a forum once. MASSIVE sql database hog would really slow this forum down. Shame because its really quite clever.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Gosh. Good thing this was posted, or I would have done it. I've suggested this to some of the admins personally quite a few times, but it never got added :?

As for abuse... the boards I know that use it generally have a button for it, and once you click that a confirmation page comes up where you have to enter a reason why you think the post is bad. Most boards just put a warning there that if you can't supply a valid reason but do submit the form, you'll get a warning, do it again, get a week's ban or whatever. Basically, a confirmation page and a warning on that seems to be enough to keep trouble away, at least on the boards where I've seen the mod queues.

I'm not sure how customisable the Yellow Card mod is but definitly either not allowing access to people with below x posts or only allowing it in certain sections is a good idea.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'm not sure how customisable the Yellow Card mod is but definitly either not allowing access to people with below x posts or only allowing it in certain sections is a good idea.
Treat it like rank. Wouldn't exactly be hard to do that :-?

Only show the yellow card stuff if person has x posts, much like show certain rank on x posts?

i'll ask at area51 tomorrow or something. or if someone has done it already :-?

I think, seeing as how many reports we'll get, it'd be a major memory drain / SQL load, as Matt said earlier.

The false reports is not a problem, assuming we can ungrant access to induviduals (sp?!), we'll have the occasional lamer in the end but most the most hectic part should be the first few weeks.

It sounds like a great feature to me, not thinking of the load it'll put on our brand new shiny server.

I think, seeing as how many reports we'll get, it'd be a major memory drain / SQL load, as Matt said earlier.

The false reports is not a problem, assuming we can ungrant access to induviduals (sp?!), we'll have the occasional lamer in the end but most the most hectic part should be the first few weeks.

It sounds like a great feature to me, not thinking of the load it'll put on our brand new shiny server.

Matt was on about the AI mod, which inserts a bot into the forums. That is a huge load on the server; the reports aren't, provided, of course, that the average quality of posting isn't so horrible that people have to use them every thread. I'm not really afraid of that, and even so - you just delete the old reports, so it's not really a permanent load on the server.

And it's certainly much more useful than users /posting/ that a mod/admin should lock / delete / ban, while it uses about the same bandwidth and sql queries. It would cut back spam, and more bad posts would get covered by mods and admins with less effort. That'd reduce the load on the server, and it would make the forum a better place to be all round :)

I should stay away from tech-stuff.. :o

Last time I proposed using a certain mouse-over effect on threads, and grin said that even those will be a huge load on the SQL database.

I figured this wouldn't be simpeler :P Anyhoo.. I still think the feature would be great, provided we can implement it without losing anything. (Speed etc)

How about instead of a "report abuse button", we could have a sticky where you could report back threads. All you would have to do it just post the link to the bad thread and possibly an explanation and a mod would be able to lock it. It doesn't seem like it would really bog down the servers either.

How about instead of a "report abuse button", we could have a sticky where you could report back threads. All you would have to do it just post the link to the bad thread and possibly an explanation and a mod would be able to lock it. It doesn't seem like it would really bog down the servers either.

That would generate abusive replies by the posters whose posts you are reporting, and would hence easily turn into a flamewar. The advantage of a report abuse feature is that nobody but the moderators / admins will know who reported the thread (anonymity in a sense).

As for the server bogdowns, the implementation of this feature in vBulletin simply creates an admin/mod-only board where new topics are auto-generated based on the reports people send in. Then mods and admins can discuss the contents of the post on that new topic, and decide what to do if it isn't blatantly obvious (eg. total and complete spam posts will not need much discussing, but sometimes there's more ways to look at a post). So the server load would not be much more than suggested by you. Of course, after topics/posts have been dealt with, the report topics can be removed by the admins on an as-needed basis.

I've been thinking quite some time about creating a thread like this, but no need! already made :)

Saw a racial slur in a thread a while ago, didn't bother to report it to a mod, because it's gonna be deleted/locked or whatever happens to those kinds of posts soon.

Damnit! Avacado all over my brand spanking new pink shirt! :(