Bigotry

Maxingmck

Does anyone here believe someone is better than the other because of religion/lifestyles?

The religion i was born into seems to think that people who have different lifestyles are living their lives wrong and deserve to go to hell

What are your thoughts?

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

universialism is a widespread view. people won't admit to bigotry, cause it sounds bad, and the negative connotations are obvious. Many of strong faith are universialist though, an authorotative truth is true for everyone. Implication: all others are wrong.

People who are religious can be bigots, yes, but they don't have to be.

My religion may preach that those who do not follow will go to hell...but I don't consider myself to be above anyone else because of that. Ultimately, we all make our own choices in life, that's the beauty of life in the first place. If someone else doesn't want to follow my religion, they don't have to, and it doesn't make them any less of a person.

But yes, according to my faith, it does mean they will end up in hell.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

There was a real study published in some psychology journal that atheists were more intelligent than religious people. They reason that atheists were more open minded and more likely to accept cultural changes or some [cabbage] like that and that, in conclusion, atheists were "more evolved". I felt like facepalming sooooooooo hard, especially since this [cabbage] is peer reviewed. Like, wow.

hiccup.png

Evolution actually supports bigotry more than any religion ever could. Because of my faith, I believe those who don't believe will go to hell, because it's by grace alone and not our works that we are saved, we just have to accept that grace. But that doesn't mean those who don't are lesser than me, because I didn't do anything. Evolution on the other hand, says if one race/species is more evolved, they must be better and more suited to survive, and thus they are lesser.

Any person who claims to have faith similar to mine and is still hateful and thinks less of other races, then he is obviously false about his faith and doesn't understand what it means.

Good topic BTW :P

Evolution actually supports bigotry more than any religion ever could. Because of my faith, I believe those who don't believe will go to hell, because it's by grace alone and not our works that we are saved, we just have to accept that grace. But that doesn't mean those who don't are lesser than me, because I didn't do anything. Evolution on the other hand, says if one race/species is more evolved, they must be better and more suited to survive, and thus they are lesser.

Any person who claims to have faith similar to mine and is still hateful and thinks less of other races, then he is obviously false about his faith and doesn't understand what it means.

Good topic BTW :P

Actualy, evolution couldn't possibly be bigotry.

A bigot is basically someone who is devoted to his opinions and thinks they're the 'right' ones. Evolution doesn't even discuss opinions, only facts. It's a fact that men are smarter than cats and horses for example.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia- "A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices."

There was a real study published in some psychology journal that atheists were more intelligent than religious people. They reason that atheists were more open minded and more likely to accept cultural changes or some [cabbage] like that and that, in conclusion, atheists were "more evolved". I felt like facepalming sooooooooo hard, especially since this [cabbage] is peer reviewed. Like, wow.

Yep. Apparently, IQ correlates with monogamy in men, liberalism and atheism. Without much comment, here's the whole study if anyone wants to take a look into it and make an informed opinion.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

pegpenguin, on 12 March 2010 - 08:42 PM, said:

Evolution actually supports

You've twisted my words, I never said or meant to say that evolution was bigotry.

My post would make sense even if the phrase was changed to "supports bigotry".-

Actualy, evolution couldn't possibly support bigotry.

A bigot is basically someone who is devoted to his opinions and thinks they're the 'right' ones. Evolution doesn't even discuss opinions, only facts. It's a fact that men are smarter than cats and horses for example.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia- "A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices."

All opinions are based on facts though. I'm not saying religion hasn't caused bigotry either, but to me it seems like evolution would support it more because it is so elitist. At least thats my opinion of it.

And I'm reading that article, and I really have a problem with some of the things written... Like for instance his definition of liberalism. "the genuine concern for the welfare of genetically unrelated others and the willingness to contribute larger proportions of private resources for the welfare of such others." He makes it sound as if conservatives are all bigots and don't care for others.

All opinions are based on facts though. I'm not saying religion hasn't caused bigotry either, but to me it seems like evolution would support it more because it is so elitist. At least thats my opinion of it.

And I'm reading that article, and I really have a problem with some of the things written... Like for instance his definition of liberalism. "the genuine concern for the welfare of genetically unrelated others and the willingness to contribute larger proportions of private resources for the welfare of such others." He makes it sound as if conservatives are all bigots and don't care for others.

Do you know what Bigotry, Evolution and an Opinion actually are? From your last few posts it seems you don't. Religion does seem to create a lot of bigotry, mostly with just looking down on people who aren't the same religion as you and looking down on the "sinners" (aka homosexuals). This isn't something that every religious person is going to do but still, a lot of those thoughts really do originate from religion (or at least the misinterpretation or it).

Support bigotry...towards... other animals?

That sounds... absurd...

romy whats ur rsn?

Ot: I think that elitism is a form of bigotry

Elitism of mankind towards animals? :S....

That's not bigotry, mankind is more intelligent than other animals (although I read a study not long ago claming that dolphins' average IQ is 102, while humans' is 100, lol. I have no idea how they tested dolphins' IQ though).

Bigotry within the bounds of mankind is real bigotry. When a Christian claims to know better than a Muslim, that's bigotry. When a white person claims to be better than a black one, that's hell of bigotry.

When a man claims to be smarter than an elephant... No, I don't think that's bigotry.

My RSN? Lol, which one :P? I've got like 20...

Again putting words in my mouth guys >.> I'm saying evolution would seem to support it more than having faith because it could imply that a white man is more evolved or whatever. I never said anything about animals >.>

and Nadril I know bigotry has been supported more often by religion, which is a huge misinterpretation of the bible if your christian And that dolphin thing doesn't make sense to me lol how would they test a dolphin and actually understand it? it seems to me it would be like that story of the horse who could supposedly do math, but it ended up just stopping when people looked surprised and then clapped.

It seems you are mixing the two different concepts of evolution and social Darwinism. One simply explains how species have come to be, while the other encourages eugenics (human artificial selection) based on the concepts of racial superiority. I think you'd find current evolutionists and mainstream atheists fervently opposed to the latter concept.

Besides, you are saying evolution says less adapted species are lesser than the "more evolved" ones. But keep in mind that the HIV is just as successful as the human being on an evolutionary sense.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

So you are saying people who believe in an omnipotent creature that shows no sign of existing at all but makes you go to church to hear about what certain people did 2000 years ago, tells you to kill gay people, not have sex if you decide to dedicate your life to "it", consider abortion murder and believe that Jezus can come down from heaven any second to allow all the good Christians to go to heaven (the main criterium of being a good person is going to a building to contribute absolutely nothing to society for one morning every week) are less intelligent? The same people who don't allow other people an opinion on things like other religions that preach excactly the same thing or how species evolved and kill them for it? That article must be pure nonsense. I came up with that years ago.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

So you are saying people who believe in an omnipotent creature that shows no sign of existing at all but makes you go to church to hear about what certain people did 2000 years ago, tells you to kill gay people, not have sex if you decide to dedicate your life to "it", consider abortion murder and believe that Jezus can come down from heaven any second to allow all the good Christians to go to heaven (the main criterium of being a good person is going to a building to contribute absolutely nothing to society for one morning every week) are less intelligent? The same people who don't allow other people an opinion on things like other religions that preach excactly the same thing or how species evolved and kill them for it? That article must be pure nonsense. I came up with that years ago.

The question is, would this or would this not be an example of bigotry? If not, why not?

^ Catholicism

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

No offence, but listening to the Westboro Baptist Church for information on Christianity isn't the best idea, broseph.

While what most of what you stated is true Meb, in that its preached, but mostly not followed. I actually know a lot of either gay, or simply open minded Christians. You really can't stereotype Christians like that. Its tantamount to me saying:

All arabs blow [cabbage] up.

All muslims are violent.

All atheists are elitists fools.

All peaceful people are wimps.

etc.etc.etc.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge