If you had a major website liek tip.it

Ks_Jeppe

... would you try to compete with other sites about users and "getting first" instead of trying to provide quality guides? I've browsed some of the help sites lately, "digging up dirt", and some of them go to extreme lengths to get guides released before us (and others), getting more users, even stealing users, or making it look like they have more users... I know i can't mention these sites by name, but some of you prob have a fair idea what which i speak...

It just seems weird to me that sites would put aside quality and professionalism just to look better than other sites, but is this a commonly done thing among websites? of cause you'd want to be big and respected, but doing stuff like registering domains that might steal users, adding bad reviews of other sites to pleases like alexa (and so on), or even manipulation search results and rankings (but various means), it just seems so extreme, or is it just me?

Please refrain from flaming other runescape fansites, that's not the intention, i'd rather want to know if this is commonly done throughout the web

i think that if you have quality guides, you'll get the visitors anyway.

sooner or later they'll find out that your quality is weighting heavier than their "being the first guide".

and who cares about a guide being released 2 two earlier or later, if you want to complete a quest so much, just do it yourself. I'll definetely go for the quality, let them wait a few days more ;P.

I think the 'digging up dirt' term would be better replaced with the euphemism 'researching the compeition' hehe.

Dirty tactics are emplyed by people in real life so I'm not surprised that there are people that would use them on the net. Even with major websites if you're talking about tip.it and the like (millions of hits).

Hmm, I suppose I agree with you to a certain extent.

Yeah, some people strive to be the best at something, which obviously; something like this will gain respect.

But, I've never known people to stoop as low as going to other fansites and 'stealing' other members. Also, giving bad ratings... Sheesh, I seriously would dislike people doing that to my forum and would most likely announce it; telling people to ignore those so-called 'ratings'.

//Mitch

New sig to come!

I do agree with quality over quantity, but runescape helpsites is a real saturated market. Anyone who wants to try and start up a site will need a way to attract their visitors. Why should I go there over tip.it? You guys provide the professionalism factor already so they must think that by being quicker they can get more users.

In theory, this is not a bad idea. The problem is they don't go back and make sure their guides are pefect once the other sites get their's up.

I do agree with quality over quantity, but runescape helpsites is a real saturated market.

Boy can you say that again. Hence your attempt at filling the gap in the market with your original rune blogs idea eh? :wink:

HEY! I use runeblogs :(

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I do agree with quality over quantity, but runescape helpsites is a real saturated market.

Boy can you say that again. Hence your attempt at filling the gap in the market with your original rune blogs idea eh? :wink:

Yes :P, not that it seems to be working :cry:.

Fansites can try to steal users and use other dishonest ways to get a short boost ahead, but in the end it comes down to people reading the fansite and its content without all the eyecandy. This means the site that provides the best info and best use will always win in the end, the more honest it is and the the least it tries to make its competition look bad, the better it will look to people. Sure people will say "this site A talked bad about site B", and you won't hear people say "this site C has never talked bad about any other sites", but people do think both for sure and it makes a big difference.

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

i mean u really have to hand it to them though, think how hard it is to establish a good name with so many competitors and vs tip.it who is already a bid name. Its like Mac vs Windows, u know windows is so big now its pretty much unstoppable. And some of these guys probably try really hard to have a good website going and in return get no visits in return to either pay for hosting or get enough attention to be worth it. You really have to understand what these guys are dealing with. But yea some sites do this.

dangermouse01sy3.jpg

Visit my DeviantArt Page at http://vladmoney.deviantart.com

I agree with Eeeeediot, there are people who are prepared to stoop to the lowest leverls in real life, so there are people who are prepared to do the same on the internet. As long as Tip.it continues to provide quality Runescape tips, people will keep coming back, even if they are tempted by some flashy site that claims it has 2 billion users.

We must remember also that people often use multiple fansites, it's not like a user chooses one or the other, most use multiple fansites. The speed at which guides are produced is a significant factor in gaining traffic, as links to the guide will be posted on the forums of other fansites, but if this begins to be a problem for tip.it, this can easily be worked aroud by producing one guide very quickly, and then producing a good quality guide shortly after and replacing it... I believe this has already been done on a few occasions, usually the first draft guide is just linked to from the main news to the forums.

And vladmoney: Tip.it isn't really like Microsoft: I don't think we have 95+% of Runescape fansite users.

(I'm just guessing MS has that amount of control over the OS market, I didn't look up any stats though, feel free to point me at some if they indicate otherwise.)

Tip.it got in earlyaswell

Remember scapeboard and the main site tip.it had then.

Main site was rubbish! content was good but the template really sucked.

and scapeboard (DK3.com) the less said about that the better.

But now I see tip.it main has a new template certainly looks better than most other sites (not just rs fansites) I see out on the net.

I think tip.it must have survived thru quality of its content and not thru site designs (wich have changed now)

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I know your question wasn't about this at all... but if I had a site like tip.it - I'd tailor the adverts so that they're more interesting to the people that use it.

For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.

The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

I know your question wasn't about this at all... but if I had a site like tip.it - I'd tailor the adverts so that they're more interesting to the people that use it.

So you wouldn't use content-based ads? That's usually the best way to have ads which are more likely to be interesting to the people using the website :-?

So you wouldn't use content-based ads? That's usually the best way to have ads which are more likely to be interesting to the people using the website :-?

I don't think 'Free screensavers' is much of a content-based ad. That's the ad I got on the top of this page, anyway. (featuring two tweeties shaking their behinds and two rather voluptuous looking women wearing far too little).

So yeah, content-based ads sound better. Though, blindly relying on google ads and so on is bad because they will also list, for example, cheating programs and/or bots.

Yes, this happens on other forums for other games. People are just rude and have to have everything first. It's apart of life you have to live with. :?

But I think Tip.it does a AWESOME job on keeping there guides and website user friendly for everybody.