Hip Hop & Rap

Skully

illmatic by nas is considered one of the greatest albums if not greatest rap album of all time man; nas is an urban poet, he's real, all them other guys are just sellouts looking for money or attention.

THE GREATEST RAP ALBUM? Which stats do you have for that? Critic reviews? Didn't think so.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recovery-Eminem. Will win best rap album of the year, or B.o.B's album. Grade-A rappers right there.

I wont smoke it if the name ain't right

My haze is looking like its been in a color fight.

Guess we are smoking on Picasso, light it up, ignite the spark.

Man it feels good to be smoking on fine arts.

The reason indie artists are indie, is not becuase they are "deep" but because they either suck, or are boring.

Uh... what? I don't know if you're trying to state this as an opinion or a fact; if you do think it's a fact then you're very, very mistaken. The thing is, people hate on mainstream hip-hop because it isn't really hip-hop in the truest sense of the word. More often than not, it is pop music with a black man rapping over it plus autotune. It doesn't make the music any less legitimate.

Also, people don't "try" to be indie or obscure. If you do love music and a certain genre, you will gradually immerse yourself into the underground once you've listened to the more popular artists. It's a natural progression as one yearns for fresh listening. A lot of music gets stale quickly so new finds are required in order to keep your listening palate fed.

illmatic by nas is considered one of the greatest albums if not greatest rap album of all time man; nas is an urban poet, he's real, all them other guys are just sellouts looking for money or attention.

THE GREATEST RAP ALBUM? Which stats do you have for that? Critic reviews? Didn't think so.

critics?! wtf who cares about critics and what they say

read around, props for nas and illmatic are everywhere

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

critics?! wtf who cares about critics and what they say

read around, props for nas and illmatic are everywhere

So in other words you got zilch.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

I don't like Tupac, Biggie, or Run DMC. There I said it. I really hate them. They may have been ground breaking, but still...

While I will admit I've not listened to more than maybe 20 songs each, when I did, the experience was not pleasant.

You're taste in rap baffles me. You don't like Nas, you don't like Tupac or Biggie, you don't like any underground artists, but you like Lil Wayne? :?

Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Nas is boring lmfao.

too bad u dont listen to the lyrics, beatfreak.

Todays hiphop/rap is not longer hiphop or rap, Its a good beat with a [bleep] singing with autotune on it(Exception Kid cudi).

Nasir Jones is one of the best rappers that ever been alive.

Actually not really a beatfreak, I just find Nas so plain and boring to listen to. Also agree with Saru on the indie discussion, although how you can consider Lupe as indie is past me.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

I likea good beat :( I LOVE a good beat actually.

But lyrics don't decide indie, so if thats your basis then you're wrong. :|

Indie people always try to act elitist (Daff) which is beyond me.

I don't like Tupac, Biggie, or Run DMC. There I said it. I really hate them. They may have been ground breaking, but still...

While I will admit I've not listened to more than maybe 20 songs each, when I did, the experience was not pleasant.

You're taste in rap baffles me. You don't like Nas, you don't like Tupac or Biggie, you don't like any underground artists, but you like Lil Wayne? :?

Nas is boring lmfao.

Todays hiphop/rap is not longer hiphop or rap, Its a good beat with a [bleep] singing with autotune on it(Exception Kid cudi).

Actually not really a beatfreak, I just find Nas so plain and boring to listen to. Also agree with Saru on the indie discussion, although how you can consider Lupe as indie is past me.

he doesn't release an album every year or a song every other week. when his stuff comes out you can he took his time with it and made it his own.

nas actually raps, he doesn't use melodies or autotunes to sugar coat things. thats what i love about him and his collab with damien marley is like nothing you'll ever hear again in your lifetime

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Nas is boring lmfao.

he doesn't release an album every year or a song every other week. when his stuff comes out you can he took his time with it and made it his own.

nas actually raps, he doesn't use melodies or autotunes to sugar coat things. thats what i love about him and his collab with damien marley is like nothing you'll ever hear again in your lifetime

It could be argued that rap isn't rap without melodies. And I will re iterate my previous statement, not only does half of the rappers not autotune, there's nothing wrong with autotuning to begin with. Some may say it takes away the talent to sing, but as Nas doesn't sing (apparently >.>), it can also be said people rap because they cannot sing. (As evident by Eminem's latest song You're Never Over chorus).

And I think all this arguing is silly to begin with, I only stated the original post because a lot of people I know say stuff like "you're uncultured/ignorant if you don't like x-artist-who-is-most-likely-dead-by-now. That just peevs me off.

Oh the arguing...

Illmatic is good. Quite good.

Nas and Damian was decent, not that amazing though.

Mainstream doesn't mean bad or good.

Underground doesn't make it boring.

Lupe = Not indie.

Nas = Hardly indie.

Beats without skill is pointless.

Skill without beats isn't appealing.

That's my list of points. My opinion would be that I prefer lyrical skill to just a good beat, but I do like Rap that just sounds good as well. However, usually if I want a great beat I'll just listen to Kid Cudi and I can get both. I try not to be an indie music snob though since that's kind of what most of my friends are. I like enough mainstream hip-hop however I definitely don't like nearly as many as I do underground. There's just a certain amount of dumbing down of the songs that annoys me.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Moving on. :3

Just saw MURS released an album with 9th Wonder, and it's a lot better than some of the stuff he's released lately. Def beats his last solo album.

Quite fond of Used to Love Her (Again), that's probs my favourite song off the album. ;o

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Nas is boring lmfao.

It could be argued that rap isn't rap without melodies. And I will re iterate my previous statement, not only does half of the rappers not autotune, there's nothing wrong with autotuning to begin with. Some may say it takes away the talent to sing, but as Nas doesn't sing (apparently >.>), it can also be said people rap because they cannot sing. (As evident by Eminem's latest song You're Never Over chorus).

And I think all this arguing is silly to begin with, I only stated the original post because a lot of people I know say stuff like "you're uncultured/ignorant if you don't like x-artist-who-is-most-likely-dead-by-now. That just peevs me off.

lets look at all the people that use autotune: t-pain, kanye, lil wayne are the first that come to my mind. a guy that only makes radio hits and is only relevant for a few weeks at best. a complete moron and cocky guy. and some one that has no street credit, grew up in suburbs of louisiana, went to a gifted school yet goes on and on about how hard he is

some instances of autotune are amazing to me, like fall out boy's most recent album and some of vampire weekend's stuff but currently in hip hop autotune is useless

also did anyone see this david letterman bit called "amazing white moments in black history" where they featured the white dude that invented the autotune. it was hilarious

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

I googled "greatest hip hop albums of all time" and the first 5 results that I got were (in order):

http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top100RapAlbums_10.htm - Illmatic #1

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2005/greatest_albums_0505/index10.jhtml - #1

http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2007/04/19/the-20-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time/ - Illmatic #3

http://straightbangin.blogspot.com/2007/05/25-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time.html - Illmatic #1

http://www.theboombox.com/2008/08/27/top-20-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time-no-20/ - Illmatic #1

Four out of five isn't bad is it?

[hide]15095005.jpg[/hide]

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Moving on. :3

Just saw MURS released an album with 9th Wonder, and it's a lot better than some of the stuff he's released lately. Def beats his last solo album.

Quite fond of Used to Love Her (Again), that's probs my favourite song off the album. ;o

indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnrYUHV9GFE

delicious album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJ9ifrmjeE&feature=related

I googled "greatest hip hop albums of all time" and the first 5 results that I got were (in order):

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2005/greatest_albums_0505/index10.jhtml - #1

http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2007/04/19/the-20-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time/ - Illmatic #3

http://straightbangin.blogspot.com/2007/05/25-greatest-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time.html - Illmatic #1

http://www.theboombox.com/2008/08/27/top-20-hip-hop-albums-of-all-time-no-20/ - Illmatic #1

Google.uk? British? Obviously cannot be trusted.

-----------------------------------------------------

Just for you guys I will go back and give Illmatic one last honest listen. And post my results.

Google.uk? British? Obviously cannot be trusted.

-----------------------------------------------------

Just for you guys I will go back and give Illmatic one last honest listen. And post my results.

you'd get the same result with google anywhere.

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

It was a joke. I'm trying to lighten the mood holy [bleep], I never thought people would take it so seriously.

ANYWAYS.I listened to Illmatic. It's too 80's sounding. It reminds me of mary tyler moore. I like the more recent sounds.

And Reaper, who cares what the critics think, right?!?!

that is auto tuned crap about women and wealth and cars and sex and black people. not about other stuff like what indie rappers rap about which i wont mention because you dont deserve. and that song was voted worse rap of all time by people who i wont mention.

love that song <3

that is auto tuned crap about women and wealth and cars and sex and black people. not about other stuff like what indie rappers rap about which i wont mention because you dont deserve. and that song was voted worse rap of all time by people who i wont mention.

love that song <3

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp