The Official Unofficial Top Game Franchises of All Time

Orpheus

In light of a recent topic basically having a terrible top franchises of all time, I figured, "So what does TIF think is the best?" So basically, why not list your top 10, and we can compile answers and figure out what the board as a whole thinks is the best.

Not quite sure how the points are going to be handled for your votes, although there was a suggestion by Danqazmlp to have your #1 be worth 10 points, #2 worth 9, etc.

[spoiler=My Top 10, as an example, with a bit of justification]

1. Metal Gear Solid (I personally enjoyed these games above any others.)

2. Shin Megami Tensei (I found these games to be nothing short of great. Darker storylines, and lots of mythology added in)

3. Half-Life series (Introduced me to FPSes, and basically started a long list of games afterward, like HL2, TF2, and various other games)

4. Devil May Cry series (I personally enjoy over-the-top action on games)

5. Resident Evil (Still damn fun to play even nowadays on the older ones)

6. Baldur's Gate (Basically introduced me to RPGs, and the games are still fairly good)

7. Penumbra series (A relatively small series of games, but they're nothing short of brilliant in their design as a puzzle/survival horror hybrid)

8. Diablo series (My first game I was introduced to one day at a friend's house. Pretty much started the whole dungeon-crawler RPG series, and spawned many aptly-named "Diablo clones". It's one of those games you come back to every few years or so.)

9. Mario series (I grew up with these games, and none are bad at all, most are fairly well-designed)

10. Pokemon series (It's probably nostalgia here, but it's a very simple game to pick up and play, and I grew up with it, so who knows?)

So let's get the ball rolling. I'll probably let this run for a few weeks or so, so everyone has a chance to get their vote in.

P.S. Some games are from other series that I really enjoyed, but didn't quite find the entire series good enough to add to my list, i.e. Final Fantasy VI, Dragon Age: Origins, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

My list:

1: Metroid Series (can't find a bad cannon game in this series)

2: The Legend of Zelda series (Ocarin and Twilight Princess were awesome, like pretty much every other game imo)

3: Mario series (no need to explain i guess)

4: Sonic (key words are "of all time", plus it was a big part of my childhood)

5: VS Capcom series (best fighting series imo)

6: Pokemon (Best RPG series imo, perfect in multiplayer)

7: Final Fantasy (just for the 3 first games, quoting Zero Punctuation, from >7 RPG's were more about specle)

8: Mother Series (another brilliant RPG series, too bad it seems no more mothers are comming)

9: Mega Man (It's so low because i hardly experienced them)

10: Metal Slug (If today's FPSs were half the fun Metal Slug IS i would be all over them)

IN ORDER 1-10

Pokemon (loved it...my 1st ever game was ruby)

Jak (I have everygame but Daxter [cbf psp] and it is awesome)

Final Fantasy (absolutely epic gameplay)

Mario Series (from sports to 3d it will always be pro)

Spyro/Crash (amg nostalgia)

Animal Crossing (nuff said)

Dragon Quest (a more complex pokemanz)

Fur Fighters (my 1st ever shooter, good graphics and insanely challenging)

Donkey Kong (the game i play from like age 6-9)

Cod (Just got the game 2 weeks ago and its rly fun)

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

1. Half life franchise - Really the pinnacle of combining storytelling, action and suspense in FPS games

2. Zelda franchise - Consistently good games

3. TOCA/RD - Brought realistic track racing into the 3d market

4. Unreal - Probably the most successful online FPS franchise

5. CS/S - Probably the second most successful online FPS Franchise

6. Sim City - Created Population sim's?

7. The Sims

8. Pokemon

9. Mario (all mario related things)

10. Sonic

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Good idea to assign points to peoples rankings to form an overall list. I propose an "Honourable Mention" list as well, for games that as Ultimania said didn't quite make the cut.

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

2. Resistance: Fall of Man < One of the great unsung multiplayers IMO

3. Rome Total War

4. Age of Empires 2/Age of Mythology

5. Stronghold

6. Batman: Arkham Asylum

7. Dawn of War

8. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

9. Dead Space

10. Resident Evil

Honourable mention: Oblivion, Zoo Tycoon, Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, SW Battlefront, MGS4 Gran Turismo 4, and Medieval 2 Total War.

I'm pretty sure COD is meant to be Call of Duty.

I think its going to be difficult to do a list of franchises, many franchises have had both good bad games which makes it hard to rank them.

I'm pretty sure COD is meant to be Call of Duty.

Aye, i didn't notice there was a both the name and the abbreviation while editing. *edits it*

EDIT: And that is what makes a good franchise great. If a franchise has had a bad game, then it isn't going to be one of the best of all time. Consistency can be the key

EDIT: Valeyard, remember it's franchises not individual games. So Age of empires 2 and Age of mythology count as one franchise, the 'Age of' Franchise.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Anyone remember the Top album list in MM&T? It sort of died, but heres the link. http://forum.tip.it/topic/224423-75-albums-you-should-own-tipit-version/

It would be kind of interesting to do something like that for this board., using the thing where one person gets to make a thread each week.

Yeah well I thought you guys could work out for yourselves what franchise they were in.

True, but they are in two different places. 4th or 7th.

zqXeV.jpg

Anyone remember the Top album list in MM&T? It sort of died, but heres the link. http://forum.tip.it/topic/224423-75-albums-you-should-own-tipit-version/

It would be kind of interesting to do something like that for this board., using the thing where one person gets to make a thread each week.

That's a really good idea actually. I'd like to do that.

I have the list updated, and there is already 49 games so the weaker ones may soon start dropping off the end. I'll post it tomorrow.

zqXeV.jpg

My list might not be as open as others, I have not played a lot of games as others have.

1.Final Fantasy Series.

2.Mario.

3.Half-Life.

4.Legend of Zelda.

5.Pokemon

6.GTA

7.God of War

8.Resident Evil.

9.Call of Duty.

10. Bioshock

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I think top 50 would be a solid idea.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

1. Mario

2. Zelda

3. Final Fantasy

4. Pokemon

5. Mother

6. Pikmin

7. Mega Man

8. Metroid

9. Kirby

10. Sonic

Could there possibly be a preliminary decision thing to narrow down the choices to 50 or so and then make it into a poll?

1. Runescape - ever since Dungeoneering, it has instantly became my favorite.

2. Mario - I like fun platformers like these. Also, gotta love some of the spin-offs.

3. Sonic - first video game franchise I've ever played, and I love these kind of games too.

4. Smash Bros. - I've only played Brawl, and although it is probably the most fun game I've ever played, it was short.

5. Taiko no Tatsujin - I love playing rhythm games, and the songs here rock. Not to mention the awesomeness of the arcade version.

6. Kirby - these platformers are fun too, but very short. I like how Kirby looks and attacks with some of the abilities though!

7. Animal Crossing - I used to play a lot of Wild World, but I can really only play an hour each day before I get bored. But I like the daily-ness of it.

8. Pokemon - I haven't played a lot, but I tried it once, and it was pretty good.

9. Super Monkey Ball - it makes me feel dizzy, but for some reason, rather addicting too.

Don't have 10th.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention