Stop posting scam warnings in the announcements section

Hannibal

For a number of reasons:

•  

[*:231lk4pg]By the time they're posted, they have already been emailed so people who might have fallen for them will mostly already have done so.

[*:231lk4pg]They're all equally stupid, and there's a lot of them. Posting different versions doesn't really give any additional information, nor has it any use: posting a guide on how to recognize scam mails (I think Cameron did one?) does.

[*:231lk4pg]They make the announcement board say it has new posts, while I could care less about the latest runescape scam. I do care about new mods/admins, forum updates, rule changes and the like. So for me, this is just annoying since I keep finding out I'm merely looking at more s(c/p)am.

[*:231lk4pg]People who fall for one of those mails will fall for all of them, posting a great lot doesn't change that, they'll just click the link in the next one. I'm betting the vast majority of people who get their accounts hacked on these boards had the same password for some other service, or used an easy-to-guess password. Even people who do that are not stupid enough to randomly click emails 'sent' by someone who swears them, every time they log in to the game, that they won't send them email. Decent email programs and sites also show it when addresses are spoofed this way (eg. gmail).

There's little hope for people who actually fall for these scam mails.

I disagree! :)

I do believe that duplicates of emails already posted should not be posted.

I also believe that the scams should be posted in every form that people are receiving, so people know that there are all sorts of creative lies to try and trick you..

Check out

RuneScript and RuneTracker!

sig37.gif

I agree with Hannibal. It "cheapens" the new posts icon for the anouncements board. Users should know that when there's new posts in there, it's important that they read them.

I don't believe a collection of them is very useful, but if you must collect them, perhaps on RS General?

I just dont understand how anyone can not understand that "JAGEX WILL NOT SEND U EMAIL" it says it every time u log in :roll:

Pdj.png

[02] -RuneScript- *** [ END ]: You gained 444,384 prayer exp in 5secs. That's 319,956,480 exp/h.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering why I don't even bother going into the announcements section anymore. I don't play Runescape so scam email posts are like "whatever" and I've missed half important posts in there because I automatically just assume it is another scam email or something.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering why I don't even bother going into the announcements section anymore. I don't play Runescape so scam email posts are like "whatever" and I've missed half important posts in there because I automatically just assume it is another scam email or something.

Exactly.

It would be nice if there could be some kind of response from the admins/mods on this? :) If you don't like removing these posts altogether, I think most of those to whom it applies would read RS General, and you could move it there :).

The people that fall for these basic scams arnt the type of people that read rules or they would know Jagex dont send emails. So why would a person who doesnt look at rules and advice go into the announcements board? Either remove completely or move to RS General or RuneScape news.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It doesn't really hurt anything, but I do somewhat agree that seeing the "new posts" light up and then seeing it just being a new scam alert probably does make a certain amount of people not check that board as often, because they just assume it's a new email scam. Maybe a solution to that would to just edit in the first post of that thread new updates so the board doesn't show up as getting a new announcement, and when a real announcement does come, to just reply to that saying it was updated so people can check it too while they're in there.

I disagree. While I think some people may be ignorant and trust any mail they received, others like to stay on top of things and know what type of mail is being sent out. I've received several PMs thanking us for updating that sticky with new mail. Since we had the Community Box on the Tip.it main site, the number of views on that thread have increased from about 3000 to almost 80000. The # of views continues to rise every day.

We very rarely post on the Announcement Board. The Tip.it news box has three spaces - plenty for the amount of posting we do on that board. I don't see anything about removing the sticky besides cutting down the work admins do (even so, it is a very simple job).

So on removing that sticky: NO. We cannot track down how many people it has helped but judging by the number of views, users DO care about what is posted there.

The point of the thread is to make it available to everyone. People still don't know how to register or just don't know about it.. so by putting it on a board that ALL users can see (not just registered ones like General) and having the Community Box be updated when a new threat is spreading throughout the RS world, everyone can read up on it.

If the only argument is that it is slightly "annoying" to see a new post icon on the announcement board, then nothing will change. Again... to those of you who have posted (and those who are in favor of the removal, I notice, do not play RuneScape actively), you cannot speak for those who DO want to know when a new scam e-mail is being sent out. Just because you find some announcements less interesting than others does not mean that those who benefit from our "guide" should suddenly find it unavailable.

I think we're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is very easy to see on the main site what TYPE of Announcement has been posted - and most forum announcements are posted on the main site anyways. Feel free to ignore the Announcement Board if it annoys you so but I don't think that thread should be moved/removed/etc.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

I think we're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is very easy to see on the main site what TYPE of Announcement has been posted - and most forum announcements are posted on the main site anyways. Feel free to ignore the Announcement Board if it annoys you so but I don't think that thread should be moved/removed/etc.

On that note, there should be a direct link from the Rune Tips logo on the boards to the Tip.It/Runescape page

As of now the only noticeable link to the main Tip.It site is the Offical Tip.It Chat link

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.