The shunned skill capes

Bows

I don't understand why having Fletching my soon-to-be first 99 skill makes me a noob for getting an easy 99. It makes no sense. It's still a 99, regardless. And if getting flamed for it wasn't bad enough, I get flamed by people who don't even have a 99. How is that not being an idiot? You can flame me for actually getting one but yet you don't have one, nor are you close. Don't get me wrong, I know Fletching isn't the most respectabale 99, but it's still a 99 one must get if one plans on maxing; what does it matter if it's the first on that road? I just spent 18M on the supplies for ONLY 95-99. I've dumped probably double or even triple the people that flame me's overall net worth. Yet they get the right to complain that I choose to spend my time getting a nice cape and a satisfying 99? I don't think so. Granted, not everyone is this way, but many of them are. I've had enough, thank God Ardougne North bank is peaceful and quiet, not as many flamers...

[/rant]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrixStar

It doesn't make you a noob. People are idiots and certain capes just get poked fun at. Fletching, cooking, fm are all easily obtained. Be proud of any 99 you achieve.

It doesn't make you a noob. People are idiots and certain capes just get poked fun at. Fletching, cooking, fm are all easily obtained. Be proud of any 99 you achieve.

I know it doesn't make me a noob, lol. Just gets on my nerves after a while. And there's no reason for it. And thank you for a constructive post. I was surprised I wasn't flamed instantly with "Fletching is noob, gtfo." this is the rants forum after all.

They are deemend newb by some because they are "buyable" its like sure you can buy your way to them, but it still costs atleast into double digit mils and u gotta make tht money some how before you can buy them!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I would love to have any 99, but I would never want my first 99 to be a "buyable." It just gets ripped on because people don't think it's an accomplisment to buy something. They think buying a cape is bad, but buying a useless hat that costs 50x that is fine.

My mom's first cape was Fishing, with that fish she went from 65 to 99 cooking because she never sold any of the fish. She used the spare raw fish to sell and buy logs, then she started WCing. With 2 production skills she got 99 firemaking/fletching/cooking. All buyables, but other than fletching she didn't buy anything, and that fletching was bought because she didn't know what to do with the leftover raws. She's a woman obviously and therefore wears matching sets. You can't imagine the flaming when she wears her cooking/fletching cape.

Just sad noobs being sad.

Zunee27.png

Zunee27.png

No capes are "respectable". The mistake is thinking of them that way. All that most capes mean is that you have a lot of free time and a high boredom threshold.

If you are getting a Fletching cape, it should be because it is something *you* want to do, because *you* feel it is an accomplishment. What everyone else thinks is immaterial.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I would say Qeltar's post is speaking exactly my mind too. I made the mistake earlier on in my playing to grind away at skills before taking the initiative to simply train the skill I enjoyed and wanted to challenge myself with, that's what's important about the choice you make, not other's opinions on the matter.

I don't think it's that they're buyable as there are difficult skills that are also buyable; rather I think players look at them as being the few easiest skills - but 99 is still a magnificent feat nevertheless. All my 99s (fm, fletching, prayer, and soon to be cooking and construction) have been bought. Hunting will soon be my first "un-bought" one.

I personally think any 99 is a great accomplishment and good luck on getting it!

Don't mind what others say - everyone has to start somewhere and for you it happens to be Fletching :)

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

everyone has to start somewhere

Thats exactly the point where it goes wrong for most people I think, they want a 99 because they think that's expected of them and thus they 'start' with an easy one.

My personaly opinion is, if it's boring and useless, why do it? Unless you get some kind of huge feeling of satisfaction out of for example 99 fletching, I wouldn't bother.

2dvjurb.png

What is "magnificent" about standing in a bank, withdrawing items, clicking them, and putting other items back in the bank for dozens of hours?

This is the exact problem, IMO: this odd attitude that it's an "accomplishment" just to do something boring for endless hours at a time.

It's isn't. You want an accomplishment? Take all of the time you'd spend getting a cape just to impress other people, and volunteer at a homeless shelter.

It's one thing to do something because you enjoy it; that's what a game is about. It's quite another to do it to show off or because you think it's an "accomplishment". One you head there, you've gone off the rails.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

What is "magnificent" about standing in a bank, withdrawing items, clicking them, and putting other items back in the bank for dozens of hours?

This is the exact problem, IMO: this odd attitude that it's an "accomplishment" just to do something boring for endless hours at a time.

It's isn't. You want an accomplishment? Take all of the time you'd spend getting a cape just to impress other people, and volunteer at a homeless shelter.

It's one thing to do something because you enjoy it; that's what a game is about. It's quite another to do it to show off or because you think it's an "accomplishment". One you head there, you've gone off the rails.

everyone has a different definition of what an accomplishment is to a person, and for the record, I do enjoy fletching. You may think it's boring to withdraw items over and over again, but after working 5-6 days a week 8 hours a day, something simple and somewhat relaxing such as fletching is enjoyable to me. I also have ADHD, which makes it hard for me to concentrate on one task for prolonged periods of time, with Fletching and many thongs within the game, I find it easy to do. A 99 is an accomplishment to me, in the same sense volunteering at a homeless shelter is to you. If that makes sense.

Lol im getting mad flamed for going 99 str as my first.

"Everyone have 99 str!"

Ofc? its a [bleep]ing good skill?.....

I hate people that say stuff like that

58dd8b2b.gif

#t0 #ce #teamsweden #se @swiftirc

#clan_europe @Quakenet

holy [cabbage], first time ive ever heard queltar making sense - but he's spot on

mmo's are about the journey, not the destination - enjoy yourself

or be a mindless, capedriven crowd following sheep

up2um8

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

You may think it's boring to withdraw items over and over again, but after working 5-6 days a week 8 hours a day, something simple and somewhat relaxing such as fletching is enjoyable to me.

Fine, so do it! You obviously didn't even read what I wrote -- I said it was different if you enjoy it, as opposed to just doing it to get a cape because you think it will get you "respect".

I also have ADHD, which makes it hard for me to concentrate on one task for prolonged periods of time, with Fletching and many thongs within the game, I find it easy to do. A 99 is an accomplishment to me, in the same sense volunteering at a homeless shelter is to you. If that makes sense.

You do it because you find it "easy to do", yet consider it an accomplishment?

Sorry, no, that doesn't make sense.

And even comparing doing something constructive and helpful to blowing hours on mindless repetitive tasks in a video game is pretty bizarre.

signew2.png

You may think it's boring to withdraw items over and over again, but after working 5-6 days a week 8 hours a day, something simple and somewhat relaxing such as fletching is enjoyable to me.

Fine, so do it! You obviously didn't even read what I wrote -- I said it was different if you enjoy it, as opposed to just doing it to get a cape because you think it will get you "respect".

I also have ADHD, which makes it hard for me to concentrate on one task for prolonged periods of time, with Fletching and many thongs within the game, I find it easy to do. A 99 is an accomplishment to me, in the same sense volunteering at a homeless shelter is to you. If that makes sense.

You do it because you find it "easy to do", yet consider it an accomplishment?

Sorry, no, that doesn't make sense.

And even comparing doing something constructive and helpful to blowing hours on mindless repetitive tasks in a video game is pretty bizarre.

it is easy for myself to complete the task of getting 99, personally. It's easy, but it's still an accomplishment to me, and by easy I mean simple, and not too mentally demanding. Though nothing in RuneScape really is. I apologize for my poor wording in my earlier post. As for the comparison I made, I mean in the same 'sense.' Not

calliber of the action. I get a good feeling from training the skill, just as you or I would get a good feeling from

helping those less fortunate than ourselves, hopefully that's easier to understand.

Well, if you enjoy it, that's great! Then enjoy it, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Most people aren't worth the trouble.

signew2.png

Well, if you enjoy it, that's great! Then enjoy it, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Most people aren't worth the trouble.

appreciate it, glad we are on the same page, ha. I plan to enjoy it to 99, and maybe even 200M eventually, we'll see! ;) and you're right, most people aren't worth the trouble; but after a long day at work, in a stressful enviornment (a resturaunt) sometimes comments get to me more than they should -- even though it's just a video game.

Congrats on your first 99! Still working for my first ^^

Anyways, if you thouroughly enjoyed fletching, then thats wonderful. But what really gets on my nerves is when an idiot with an untrimmed cook/fletch cape with 1300 total decides to show it off. And they don't even like the skill.

Every single bank I go to, I hear conversations like this:

Player 1: Fletch levels?

Player 2: 93

Player 3: 96

Player 1: 91

2: Damn, fletching is boring, but I gotta get 99

3: I know eh? Can't wait till I'm done with it.

1: Agreed.

*Player 4 with fletch cape walks by and does emote*

1,2, and 3: I'm finally gonna get a cape soon.

Thats what annoys me, why waste time on something that you find boring? It makes the whole untrimmed fletching cape bearers have a stereotype about them - 13 year olds who think they get e-spect for wearing a skillcape. Just as I am typing this, that same conversation happened again :wall: :wall:

If you enjoy fletching, go ahead and train it, and I flame you. But if you are like ^ people, and start showing off to me, I will start flaming.

Staurolite.png

The problem here is that these skill capes are common and thus for many... easy to get.

Don't feel bad because Fletching was my 1st 99. Maxed levels will look at an achievement like 99 Slayer or 99 Runecrafting to be much more significant than they would for 99 Cooking, Firemaking, or Fletching.

If people try to make you feel bad, you can always put them on ignore.

Or alternatively, you could leave them alone as they haven't done anything to you.

Sometimes I do, but some are very very annoying....

Very much agreed, but it's their choice. You're not making them be idiots.

PM me for fitocracy invite

35a17bb.gif

This is my helmet. It's not an ordinary helmet as people think, but it is special. It is special because I spent a lot of money on this helmet. Most people would think I should have spent my 50 million coins on something more useful, but I wanted this helmet. People should respect me, because I spent a lot of money on this helmet, and it makes me very sad when people make fun of my helmet.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I get a lot of [cabbage] from idiots about my untrimmed Strength cape. Honestly, [bleep] them. Play the game the way you want to and the way that you enjoy. For me, that's combat. More specifically, Slayer. 99 Strength was a goal of mine for a very long time because it just happens to be my favorite cape and emote in the game. If you feel the same way about Fletching, by all means, get that 99. Get that 200M experience. And you better enjoy it :D

Popedevourer.png

Wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it ;) never played, or will I ever play the game to get on and grind, I'll always do the things I enjoy first, and the ones I don't..? Well, we'll see ;)