Good Laptop for College?

Kenshinjapan

I've just got the traditional Dell Inspiron 1525-- you can customize your own on their website. I've had it for two years and it's been pretty good to me. I spilled milk on it a week ago and it completely died for a few days then magically revived itself. I guess the milk just needed to dry... now it's as if nothing ever happened :D

You can also get mini-laptops for really low prices. Nowadays, the technology required to play a game as simple as RS is pretty much standard so it's not gonna be very expensive.

77yLQy8.png

Yeah the New Dell Inspirions with the I cores are some of the best laptops out there atm especially in terms of spec:cost ratio and custom build.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I've just got the traditional Dell Inspiron 1525-- you can customize your own on their website. I've had it for two years and it's been pretty good to me. I spilled milk on it a week ago and it completely died for a few days then magically revived itself. I guess the milk just needed to dry... now it's as if nothing ever happened :D

You can also get mini-laptops for really low prices. Nowadays, the technology required to play a game as simple as RS is pretty much standard so it's not gonna be very expensive.

DON'T get a mini. IMO they are a huge waste of time. The price is ok, but the fact that there is little memory and the small amount of RAM makes it a pile. We have them in my school, and I absolutely hate them.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

You don't want a laptop, you want a desktop. If you get a laptop you'll end up taking it to class to "take notes" on, and be distracted by going to facebook and whatnot. You will, there is no question. While working in the library with a few friends, studying for the final which is tomorrow, you'll be on the laptop on some random site and not contributing.

I worked at a university once, and some of the professors started banning laptops from their classes because it's correlated with poor performance in class.

So get a desktop, cheaper, more powerful, can play games on high settings, and won't distract you while you're in class.

newsigh.jpg

HP Compaq CQ61 - new, preinstalled Win7 Home Premium.

Even at highest custom building, costs no more than 700$. It's very fast, has a 15.6 inch screen diagonal, and full size keyboard. The touchpad lets you tap it to click, and a little touch piece to scroll. Really good overall, posted this from my own.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Why no Mac?

[shameless promotion]Apple is doing a buy a laptop for college - get an iTouch for free right about now![/shameless promotion]

But its your choice I suppose :thumbup:

I'd go with the Dell Inspiron, like everyone is saying because you can custom build it.

probably cause ur gonna be hard pushed to get anywhere near decent specs in his budget for a mac.

And too guy above with his "oh ull go on fb" etc. rant; thats jsut wrong. The laptop won't make you do any of that, the fact you do it is your own short falling not the laptop; plus from the perspective of moving for college and darting back and forth for holidays a desktop is HIGHLY impractical

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Look into dell and hp student discounts. I got a studio 17 laptop for around 1000 dollars (1500 normal) after customizing a few things. I got a 250 student discount and a 150 dollar instant discount plus a 150 dollar mail in rebate. There are other places which give student discounts as well.

sigcp.png

65,280 to 99 fletching on 3-14-09

40,405 to 99 woodcutting on 10-17-2009

I would stay away from Dell. Nowadays they break really fast. A few people here has had bad things happen to them, and the People where I live too, for example my friend that had a Dell studio die on him after 3 months use.

I would strongly suggest Asus, they are very high quality laptops, although the price is a little higher, you won't regret it, I know I didn't regret paying a little more for an Asus.

Else than that, Hp is not that bad, but you'll have to remove quite a bit of crapware. Also Acer if you want something that won't cost that much and perform well, but as far as I know, the battery life will be pretty short after a few years.

I would stay away from Dell. Nowadays they break really fast. A few people here has had bad things happen to them, and the People where I live too, for example my friend that had a Dell studio die on him after 3 months use.

I would strongly suggest Asus, they are very high quality laptops, although the price is a little higher, you won't regret it, I know I didn't regret paying a little more for an Asus.

Else than that, Hp is not that bad, but you'll have to remove quite a bit of crapware. Also Acer if you want something that won't cost that much and perform well, but as far as I know, the battery life will be pretty short after a few years.

Dell laptops are good, but some models overheat easily. Acer is the same way. Asus is a little steep on prices, but good quality, and hp has a lot of unnecessary programs (crap ware).

Just keep this in mind: You get what you pay for.

sigcp.png

65,280 to 99 fletching on 3-14-09

40,405 to 99 woodcutting on 10-17-2009

Also alot of people still jump to thinking dell is bad too easily; because they remember a few years back when they were bad cause they went for all crap parts. But since then the original owner has come back and restored the quality.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

+1. Most of the computers in my house are Dell and I've had few problems with each. My dad's desktop is 7 years old and works fine, and I recently got one of the new Studio 1749s and it works fine :) Compare that to a friend of mine who got an Acer of a similar spec, and the hard drive broke after 2 months use. Anyway, if you want something that's reasonably sized and would make for a good desktop replacement, and play games reasonably, I'd vouch for the Studio 1749. Mine was £750 ish, I'd imagine it'd be slightly cheaper in the US.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I bought my laptop last June. It's a Dell Studio 15 (17" screen is just too big for me) and it has worked like a charm. Here are the specs.

dellspecs.png

I got it for $850 when they are originally $1200. They're customizable, cheap, a good laptop, and I'm sure you'd get even more of a discount then I did.

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

Also alot of people still jump to thinking dell is bad too easily; because they remember a few years back when they were bad cause they went for all crap parts. But since then the original owner has come back and restored the quality.

Michael Dell was the CEO when I had to contact the General Attorney to get a remedy to their less than poor customer support. I was thrown around by each CS representative because no one wanted to deal with me. I have 40+ hours documented on their phone support. I even took the liberty of recording those phone calls after one of their representatives told me "you are wasting my time," which he later tried to correct and say that "no, no ma'am, you are wasting your time." That conversation later ended with the rep hanging up on me and telling me to call the same number again.

Yeah, that's quality support. :rolleyes:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Michael Dell was the CEO when I had to contact the General Attorney to get a remedy to their less than poor customer support. I was thrown around by each CS representative because no one wanted to deal with me. I have 40+ hours documented on their phone support. I even took the liberty of recording those phone calls after one of their representatives told me "you are wasting my time," which he later tried to correct and say that "no, no ma'am, you are wasting your time." That conversation later ended with the rep hanging up on me and telling me to call the same number again.

Yeah, that's quality support. :rolleyes:

No-one mentioned customer support.

And it is irrelevant in terms of a good laptop.

But really customer service these days and call centres, you don;t expect it to be good. These foreign barely understandable english and/or stupidly young underpaid workers never really give a crap and just follow their script so you jsut end up in circles of holding and department hopping.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

But really customer service these days and call centres, you don;t expect it to be good. These foreign barely understandable english and/or stupidly young underpaid workers never really give a crap and just follow their script so you jsut end up in circles of holding and department hopping.

It is when problems arise (problems will arise no matter which manufacturer you buy from, but you'd expect customer support to actually help).

It is when problems arise (problems will arise no matter which manufacturer you buy from, but you'd expect customer to support to actually help).

True but it also depends how bad the problem is and how computer savvy you are.

Personally I got my new dell, first thing I did was tear out the recovery partitions and reinstall windows to kill off all their [cabbage]e. Then re-install the few useful bits from their drivers etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I don't know what you value when you buy a laptop, but good support is definitely relevant when you buy any electronic device.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

I've had pretty good luck with Toshiba's, however if you're looking for cheap, Dell might work for you. The Dell Laptop we have is like 5 or 6 years old, but it's had a good number of issues, my Dad is good with computers though so he's repaired it several times. I'd suggest that you go for the Toshiba between the two though. This or something similar is probably fairly good for what you're looking for. It should play Runescape fairly well, but you're going to have problems with graphics intensive games.

I've never had any laptops other than Toshiba or Dell though so I'm sure there are better options for you.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I remember when Dells were good computers too. Then they went to low quality laptops that would break often, and now that Dell is back in the company, the quality might be a little higher, but not high enough for my standards. You still get a higher quality in a similarly priced HP for example.

I'm assuming:

13-15 inch screen

2-4 gb ram

dual core CPU

My dad recently bought one of these. It is lightweight, has good performance, a decent size screen (13.3 inches), and has decent battery, but no optical drive. $599

Samsung Np-Pr580. I've used one of these, and they're pretty nice to use. Slightly better specs than the toshiba, and a bigger HDD. It has a larger screen at 15.6, but weighs 5.5 pounds, compared to 3.7 on the toshiba. The touchpad is in a slightly arkward position. $779.99

There are of course going to be more, but I don't have the time to go through all of them :ohnoes: The toshiba is perhaps less sturdy than the samsung. The samsungs graphics etc. are slightly better, but only slightly, although the screen is quite a bit bigger.

Read the full reviews to get a better idea for them. If you don't like them, hereis a list of others you can choose from, based on what you want.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

alienware m11x. just got a pamplet yesterday, i don't see why not. you can double your ram for free.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Keep in mind that what you'll be studying is very important in regards to your laptop. For example, if you'll be studying engineering, you'll be doing a lot of CAD work and therefore a powerful laptop will be necessary, rather than one that just gets by.

wl7w9j.png