Delta V

archimage_a

The issue, Nex, is that no one(with the possible exception of you and me) has the patience to learn and use that system.

If people feel they deserve a bonus from whatever building they have, then they can ask for it at the time...

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Hey Arch, I am a bit tied up today, so I'll start whenever I get the chance to do my tech list and developments. I basically have the pixel numbers planned out, but I just need to make the picture.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Tech list and developments. Ship blueprints would be helpful, but are not vital.

Mather....Hmmm...Ok. I will think of how to deal with that tommrow. :rolleyes:

The problem is, Archi, that I have issues with potential values. If all I have to go on is what use something might have then I will instead focus on tangible, mundane benefits rather than those of dubious value should they be used at all. This will inevitably lead to massive problems on my part as I lose capabilities possessed by my fellow players because I exclude the processes necessary for such activities.

A donkey could understand my system, not to mention anyone here who has ever played a retail strategy game. I see no faults.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

^

In sorta the same vein, I want to completely optimise my developments to the planet. Pixels make that sorta tedious. :thumbup:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I've definately not optimised, but then again, I have more mines than resources of the planet, and I think they atleast do one unit per. Also once I get in touch with a good NPC race, I can trade with them, with all the extra money I will save.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Planet Creighton, Gamma Navis.

There is no planet Creighton in the Gamma Navis system.

http://users.aber.ac.uk/lug9/delta_v/navisg.html

ive already given you my developments and two ships man

and I told you my tech

Got the ships, can you resend the developments and tech please.

A donkey could understand my system, not to mention anyone here who has ever played a retail strategy game. I see no faults.

Ok.

5 Days in:

'Retech, your people have starved because they don't have enough farms'

'No, because I have built enough already.'

'Then you built more houses'

'Thoses houses have window boxes'

'Err, no.'

'Yeah.'

'No window boxes allowed.'

'Fine, I research Window Boxes.'

'Thats not the issue...'

'Then I build window boxes.'

'Sigh...'

'Archi, my research should be done by now.'

'No, not yet.'

'But I have 100,000 labs, so there is a 100% chance of a breakthrough.'

'Sigh...'

'Damn, Grim is attacking me with tanks, I need to use tanks.'

'Sorry, you can't deploy tanks, you don't have the right buildings.'

'OMG! I built 500 tanks just yesterday!'

'Sorry, you need to right building.'

'OMG!'

'And Planet X is taken after a close battle.'

'But I have 500,000 Police stations and 500,000 houses, so I should have 1,000,000 Milita.'

'Sorry, thats not how it works.'

'OMG!'

'Hey, Archi, why arn't I getting all the bonuses I deserve?'

'You don't have enough power.'

'So how much do I need?'

'You have [lists all the power requirements] and this much power.'

'So how much do I need?'

'[states difference]'

'So I need more powerplants.'

'Yes'

'Which ones?'

'Which ones do you want.'

'I don't know, which ones are best.'

'Anti-Matter'

'Then I build 5,000 of them.'

'You realise you won't have enough Anti-Matter to power them.'

'How do I get more Anti-Matter?'

'You need more labs'

'How many more labs'

'[states number]'

'Ok, I build that many.'

'You don't have enough room.'

'OMG! This game is impossible!'

'So why did I lose the battle?'

'Grim was using a new type of weapon'

'But I had those troops trained in 400,000 pixals!'

'Yes...'

'They should be invunerable!'

'They are just humans...'

'SO WHATS THE POINT IN TRAINING THEM!'

'Archi, why don't I get an advantage from churches?'

'You are an Atheist.'

'But it says I get a bonus.'

'You can't get a bonus from something your people don't use.'

'But I built it to get the bonus.'

'You can't get the bonus.'

'Then I change my religion.'

'Your people don't want to change religion'

'OMG!'

'Why did my flagship get destroyed? The planet had one turret!'

'They rolled lucky.'

'OMG!'

In a retail strategy game there is a computer 100% dedicated to working things out and all that jazz...and can display the consequences of your actions as you make them....In the real world, I don't have the time or effort to do that for 8 or so people, and I am not always on...

In sorta the same vein, I want to completely optimise my developments to the planet. Pixels make that sorta tedious.

Which makes things very tedious indeed...because every planet had one of everything and then a bazilion turrets and such...And attacking one planet requires a thousand super star destroyers, which require one year per planet for 100 years with 10 planets...Thus meaning that the whole game grinds to a halt while people build massive fleets to take one planet...

Errr what?

I was just saying that I only want to build enough mines to harvest the sustainable amount of resources, which means I'd have to make a new development style for each planet. I'd rather make a general pixal map and for example have a purple box that is "subject to change, based on the planet." So if a planet has so and so resources, then it has exactly so and so mines and the rest being farms or something.

Could I do that?

Can't we have one little part of one damned stupid strategy game be static and predictable? I mean, the system sucks for me, though I don't know about the others. We have 100,000 pixels to fill, give or take a "reasonable" amount of roads, to fill with "reasonable" numbers of different coloured dots that give any bonus deemed "reasonable."

At least go with the farms, just give them a number of people to feed and maybe a trade value for goods they produce. What I said was that if someone wasn't fed by the farms then food costs would be subtracted from the budget (obviously this wouldn't matter in small numbers). You could also have the farms work on better cash and food crops which would get better in their respective areas with time, until a certain limit.

Meh, still not gonna work I guess. We Tavernians are too stupid in the ways of sense.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

There is room for versatility, like you can say 'Archi, I want my farms to make money, instead of produce food.' and that is fine.

Just as, if you want labs to, instead of researching weapons, to research new brands of perfume...you can.

Or you can have churches that hold sermons or churches that give out bowls of soup....

If they had static and predicatable bonuses then the game just becomes about who has the most red or blue or yellow dots on a map...there is no creativity.

Pah. Well, I think it would be easier with a different system for developments. It just doesn't mean anything to me when I look at it. I would be more comfortable if I could tell you how grand of a church I want, how intimidating a turret array, how epic a monument. Thinking about it, it's not the individual statistics that bother me as much as the method of presentation.

I want to feel like I'm ruling an empire, not a series of coloured dots arranged in the most convenient matter. And for that, I need to have my own description behind the visual incarnation.

I know it's asking more of you, but if you could just tell me how big what I want would have to be...

RIP Dawngate ;-;

"I order a new law that states that all households must have a form of power generator on the premises. The generators will be issued by the government, the only types certified to be safe around homes though are solar and wind"

"I turn a quater of my research labs into schools, and sink 10,000 cash into the education system, the cash will be evergoing, to improve the general intelligence, hopefully signs will show within the next 5-15 years."

"A new law is passed, on highways, special military lanes, only useable by police and military authorised personnel. This will hopefully allow troop movement around the city to increase, and to also increase the authority of the police making riots and revolts less likely"

Just some examples.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Well...If you really want to do that, then each pixal is 5 meters square...So if you wanted to use a 3D render to construct your city...

http://www.caligari.com/

Or a city designer

http://www.profantasy.com/products/cd3.asp

Alternatively you could just write it out in text format...

The pixal thing is just there to make things easier and simpler for people who don't want to put a lot of effort in.

Anyway, 5 Square Kilometers per planet, .5 per development.