Tip.It Times - 25th July 2010

Racheya

Well once again, experience is not "handed out" because a vast amount of time is required to collect effigies, to the point where it's really even worth it to camp for them. Furthermore, I love effigies because they're an additional reward when I'm on a slayer task. Even if the slayer monster doesn't drop anything worthwhile, the chance of an effigy really makes it exciting and keeps the anticipation alive. On the point of anticipation, it is the high-end content that kept me training - from Dragon Slayer, to Heroes, to Recipe for Disaster, to While Guthix Sleeps, and finally to my Quest Cape. I think the effigies really remind a lot of lower level players that there is light at the end of the tunnel - that one day soon to come, they will also be able to experience the full range of higher-end content. I don't think I really need to reiterate the positives of this update. If you really feel that effigies prevent you from enjoying the game you want to, please allow me to make a suggestion:

Don't use them. Nobody's forcing you to.

Proud Silent Ember Advisor

UBH Member | Lethality Leader

Pursuant to requirements related to practice before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of (i) avoiding penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed herein.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old-school players who had no choice but to chop yews and magic logs to 99 WC were rewarded handsomely for their time - moreso than players who powerleveled with SC hatchets and ivy.

The rest of your post is spot-on, but I'll take issue with this bit. Speaking as one of these "old-school" lumberjacks, there never were any handsome rewards for woodcutting, and there still aren't. Well, okay, it's a pretty good-looking cape, but I mean aside from that.

The rest of your post is spot-on, but I'll take issue with this bit. Speaking as one of these "old-school" lumberjacks, there never were any handsome rewards for woodcutting, and there still aren't. Well, okay, it's a pretty good-looking cape, but I mean aside from that.

Rewarded handsomely compared to gaining zero GP via Ivy.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

...No, not really. The money is terrible.

You save time doing ivies, which you can spend elsewhere for GP

I hate to be the one to say it... but I think that tip.it times ran out of new and interesting perspectives about two years ago. I have to force myself to read the articles nowadays because they're just rehashing common understanding into articles for its own sake.

Maybe the frequency of releases should be lowered.

e: I'm not trying to be an ass, this is honestly how I feel.

Yes I have to force myself to read them too. I love the tip.it times and I appreciate how much work goes into each article, however the authors seem to have run out of ideas lately.

I would be happy with four articles a month.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

You save time doing ivies, which you can spend elsewhere for GP

I suppose we're dealing with you efficiency freaks. Well, I guess we know where this argument is going haha.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Are we sure about the DYK? I know for Tactician you have to be using accurate stance, but is the same true for Berserker and aggressive stance?

The RuneScape KB, the in-game description, and even Tip.it's guides all say nothing about having to use aggressive stance to get the bonus strength levels. I have not tested it to try to find out for myself, and although I did notice that I was hitting higher when using aggressive than accurate, this is also just a normal byproduct of aggressive stance.

Essentially, I'm not saying the DYK is wrong, I'm just wondering how it was discovered.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Another boring first article. Really, why do these articles keep on stating the obvious, and not even doing it particularly well? Oh ye, thats right... Requiem is a friend of Racheya's.

You will get ONE RC option at most per effigy, and then use the lamp. So there is no way you get 130k+ xp. The author could have checked that within 5 minutes. Not to mention, you already need over 6m to use on RC consistently, without have to stew. I've also had as many effigies from dusties as from ISW, so they aren't exactly hard to get.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Another boring first article. Really, why do these articles keep on stating the obvious, and not even doing it particularly well? Oh ye, thats right... Requiem is a friend of Racheya's.

If you think these are so obvious, you are more than welcome to write an article and send it in as a guest article. Writing is not as easy as some of you make it out to be, let alone choosing a topic to write on.

Are we sure about the DYK? I know for Tactician you have to be using accurate stance, but is the same true for Berserker and aggressive stance?

The RuneScape KB, the in-game description, and even Tip.it's guides all say nothing about having to use aggressive stance to get the bonus strength levels. I have not tested it to try to find out for myself, and although I did notice that I was hitting higher when using aggressive than accurate, this is also just a normal byproduct of aggressive stance.

Essentially, I'm not saying the DYK is wrong, I'm just wondering how it was discovered.

It is definitely true. The fact you mention, that it's actually nowhere stated caused a lot of discussion as a lot of spear users thought they could still use berserker and wasted their tokens on it. That was even made worse as Mod Mark H "confirmed" it works without aggressive stance, he concluded that from the KB formulation.

However, JMods rolled back after that, said they made a mistake and cleared that it only works in aggressive stance.

If you think these are so obvious, you are more than welcome to write an article and send it in as a guest article. Writing is not as easy as some of you make it out to be, let alone choosing a topic to write on.

I'm in the process of doing so, I've already talked about it with several of the more intelligent forum members.

I know how hard writing is, but when the author is too lazy or else unwilling to check the "facts" that he basis his argument on, that doesn't show much for the author's intelligence or writing skills. And he will be called on it, as several forumers have done already.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

[spoiler=Quote]

It is definitely true. The fact you mention, that it's actually nowhere stated caused a lot of discussion as a lot of spear users thought they could still use berserker and wasted their tokens on it. That was even made worse as Mod Mark H "confirmed" it works without aggressive stance, he concluded that from the KB formulation.

However, JMods rolled back after that, said they made a mistake and cleared that it only works in aggressive stance.

Thank you =]

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Maybe the fact that there aren't any topics that are instantly apparent to be interesting and salient to the writers should be an indication that they should not write an article? Just sayin'.

Maybe the fact that there aren't any topics that are instantly apparent to be interesting and salient to the writers should be an indication that they should not write an article? Just sayin'.

That's how the tip.it times works. They have release dates, and they make sure they have something written. If you don't find it interesting, don't read it and don't complain. It's as simple as that. Just sayin'.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

That's how the tip.it times works. They have release dates, and they make sure they have something written. If you don't find it interesting, don't read it and don't complain. It's as simple as that.

No. That isn't how it works. If a newspaper article is poorly written or boring, because the author had a deadline to meet, then he should expect complaints. The Times is no different.

Stonewall337.png

That's how the tip.it times works. They have release dates, and they make sure they have something written. If you don't find it interesting, don't read it and don't complain. It's as simple as that.

No. That isn't how it works. If a newspaper article is poorly written or boring, because the author had a deadline to meet, then he should expect complaints. The Times is no different.

At first yes, but he hasn't found anything interesting in two years, as he states. Logic dictates, you'd stop reading. Why is it that everyone insists on complaining about everything? If you don't like it, stay away! A person cannot make everyone happy, and he happens to be one of those people. If he doesn't like it, he should write something. Complaining accomplishes nothing. Taking initiative to change, that accomplishes things.

Change the deadlines from weekly editions to biweekly or monthly editions? :thumbup:

Will give the writers more time to make higher quality articles and not feel pushed to lower their standards because of a deadline.

That's more effective than complaining. Give suggestions on how to make it better. "I don't like it" does absolutely nothing. "How about you do this instead?" That'll have a better chance of doing something.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

At first yes, but he hasn't found anything interesting in two years, as he states. Logic dictates, you'd stop reading. Why is it that everyone insists on complaining about everything? If you don't like it, stay away! A person cannot make everyone happy, and he happens to be one of those people. If he doesn't like it, he should write something. Complaining accomplishes nothing. Taking initiative to change, that accomplishes things.

Change the deadlines from weekly editions to biweekly or monthly editions? :thumbup:

Will give the writers more time to make higher quality articles and not feel pushed to lower their standards because of a deadline.

That's more effective than complaining. Give suggestions on how to make it better. "I don't like it" does absolutely nothing. "How about you do this instead?" That'll have a better chance of doing something.

*coughs* We've been saying change the deadline or release fewer articles for MONTHS now.

Stonewall337.png

At first yes, but he hasn't found anything interesting in two years, as he states.

Although I didn't say that, I can see how you would conclude that from what I did say. What I meant is something more like this:

There's a band I like. The first three albums were all excellent, not a bad song in the lot. But as of the last three albums, I've been really disappointed. There are one or two songs that I like and enjoy, but the rest of the album is really boring and formulaic. I like the band, but I wish they could be as good as they used to!

I like the tip.it times. There have been some articles I enjoyed in the last two years, but unfortunately the majority have let me down. I don't hate the tip.it times, I want it to be as good as it once was. I'm just trying to give feedback because I know that when you're running something it's hard to see places to improve.

The "if you don't like it, leave!" attitude is not helping, since you're refusing to consider criticism.

I do hope that you guys realise that after hundreds of articles, you're BOUND to run out of new and exciting things to discuss?

Also have you now? I certainly don't remember it. I look forward to seeing your article and what topic you've managed to come up with. The writing aspect of an article pales in comparison to the difficulty of getting a topic. That's the only reason that I actually WANT new updates, because it gives opportunities for articles about it, because other than that what else new is there to be said?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

*coughs* We've been saying change the deadline or release fewer articles for MONTHS now.

That I did not know, I just happened to view this thread and saw complaints.

Although I didn't say that, I can see how you would conclude that from what I did say.

I could have very easily misunderstood the post.

What I meant is something more like this:

There's a band I like. The first three albums were all excellent, not a bad song in the lot. But as of the last three albums, I've been really disappointed. There are one or two songs that I like and enjoy, but the rest of the album is really boring and formulaic. I like the band, but I wish they could be as good as they used to!

I like the tip.it times. There have been some articles I enjoyed in the last two years, but unfortunately the majority have let me down. I don't hate the tip.it times, I want it to be as good as it once was. I'm just trying to give feedback because I know that when you're running something it's hard to see places to improve.

The "if you don't like it, leave!" attitude is not helping, since you're refusing to consider criticism.

I saw no constructive criticism at first. All I saw was "The articles are boring and I don't enjoy reading them" That's not really constructive at all. Now the deadlines thing, that was constructive. This is just my two cents (or maybe a dollar by now).

Oh there are many possible topics still to chose from: Heck, a historical article, covering topics or even a series as vast as the Mahjarat to as small as the impact of humidfy being made to moisten clay, and how similar slight adjustments to the game can drastically change how people train and play are just 2 ideas I though of within 5 minutes. Granted, different authors will find different topics interesting. Maybe its time to push for more guest articles, or bring new blood into the Times. Hey, we could even work with another fan site to publish a special feature article on the multi-forum user, or something similar.

BTW: Its not anything personal against the authors. However, one shouldn't exist all criticism to be constructive. There is always room for some complaining when expectations aren't meet.

Stonewall337.png

What if the president of the United States refused to listen to criticism based on that criteria: "If you're not leading a country of at least 300 million people and has a GDP of at least $10 trillion, then you don't deserve to criticize and I refuse to read it?"

Think about it.

I could be wrong but this is how I see it. The Tip.It times is about writing articles for Tip.It users. The Tip.It times is NOT about writing articles for other Tip.It times contributors to read. My criticism is just as valid, if not more valid, than if I were a regularly contributing writer.

What if the president of the United States refused to listen to criticism based on that criteria: "If you're not leading a country of at least 300 million people and has a GDP of at least $10 trillion, then you don't deserve to criticize and I refuse to read it?"

Think about it.

In my eyes, there's a huge difference between criticism and constructive criticism. If you don't have anything to help him out with, what's your criticism doing? It's much better to accompany complaints and criticism with ways to improve. How can they change to make you happy if they don't know how exactly?

Other than extending the due dates, what else could they do to make you happy? Is that your only issue? They aren't as interesting?