History

DragnFly

History is the study of past events. People know what happened in the past by looking at things from the past, including records (like books, newspapers and letters) and artifacts (like pottery, tools, and human or animal remains). Libraries, archives and museums collect and keep these things for people to study history. A person who studies history is called a historian. A person who studies pre-history through things left behind by ancient cultures is called an archaeologist. A person who studies the history of humans and civilizations is called an anthropologist. The study of the sources and methods used to study and write history is called historiography.

People can learn about the past by talking to people who remember things that happened in the past. This is called oral history. When people who had been slaves and American Civil War survivors got old, some historians recorded everything that they said, so that history would not be lost.

In old times people in different parts of the world kept separate histories because they did not meet each other very often. Some groups of people never met each other. Medieval Europe, Ancient Rome and Ancient China each thought that they ruled the only important parts of the world and that other parts were "barbarian".

Source: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/History

As I am sure you gathered by that little snippet, this is a topic for chat about the past (particularly, distant history).

Discussion of renaissance faires, as well as historical stories (films, books, etc...) and such are permitted as well.

Are there any periods of time in the past you find interesting, or even wish you had got to experience? Perhaps an older culture, or even particular events?

As for myself:

For me, I think Medieval Europe (especially England) is probably my favorite historical era. From the fall of the Roman Empire, up til the 17th century or so, I find it to be one of the more interesting time periods of the past.

I also think experiencing the American Revolution would have been interesting, seeing the founding of my country in its earliest days, and experiencing colonial life.

I would also be curious to experience the history of Christianity. Perhaps meet Jesus, experience the church in its earliest days. See the Roman Catholic Church's beginnings, The Crusades, and the Protestant Revolution.

Other things I find interesting: Celtic Culture, as well as the Victorian era.

So the question I lay before you is, what parts of history do you find interesting?

Also, please, keep it civil and be respectful of others.

Why colonial life? Everything I remember learning about colonial life in high school made it out to be horrid.

My personal favorite periods in history are Ancient Greece and the Renaissance. I also enjoy learning about the Crusades and the rise of the Catholic church.

tFtfA.jpg

i would like to like watch hannibal in an birds eye view kinda, to see how he fought his wars and what he did. also to see the lives of romans all the way up to ww2 to see how all the changes became and how we got tvs and what not

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Why colonial life? Everything I remember learning about colonial life in high school made it out to be horrid.

My personal favorite periods in history are Ancient Greece and the Renaissance. I also enjoy learning about the Crusades and the rise of the Catholic church.

Well more about seeing the history of the country, or experiencing it rather. Not sure about living in the era on a daily basis, though i'm sure there are pros and cons to it.

Yes, I do not think colonial life would be easy by any stretch. Then again, nor would most of history compared to modern times. Its just a "simpler" time, with its own share of problems.

The ancient age with the Romans: Rome and Carthage are tow cities I would love to see. The similarities between our political and socialities with the Roman Republic are a lot.

Then 1492-current times are great too. Exploring the world, adventure in the Americas, the Colonial Age, Enlightment, and modern era all good times too.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ancient Greece for educational reasons, ancient Rome for the donkey-and-goat-filled orgies. I also want to snag the rest of Livy's Histories. Make a cool infinite amount of dollars revealing which dinosaurs the Roman children preferred to clone to ride to school.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Well more about seeing the history of the country, or experiencing it rather. Not sure about living in the era on a daily basis, though i'm sure there are pros and cons to it.

Yes, I do not think colonial life would be easy by any stretch. Then again, nor would most of history compared to modern times. Its just a "simpler" time, with its own share of problems.

A day in colonial life would be interest, I'd give you that. I've also just never been much a fan of American history. Compared to elsewhere we're very boring historically, granted we are very young.

tFtfA.jpg

Has anyone else thought about how past generations would react to current technology? I can picture myself getting hanged for working with the devil if I brought a talking smart phone but praised and bribed to share the technology of machine guns to a general.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The origins of the Jewish religion, seems like a very interesting time to explore.

Ancient Greece would also be a very high priority, given the chance, definitely.

There are some others, but these two are my best. :cool:

The greeks and romans. They were awesome.

kWMd.gifI0SK.gifSC6s.gifYI0G.gif

If you click on them they hatch or grow up faster and look awesomer!!!

87.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot. If you're one of the 42% of statistics that doesn't, copy and paste this into your sig. In addition, 126.324% of the previous statement does not make sense.

I was obsessed with ancient Greece and their gods and such. Was good fun getting into ancient and knowing everything already. :thumbup:

The God of War game series was lulzy too, I was liek, oh hai Atlas. I know what you had to do. :3

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

French Revolution to the Bolshevik Revolution. It's interesting to see the counterplay between imperial and revolutionary powers. We have plenty of that in Hegemony. :lol:

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Medieval Europe to the Renaissance. And I've been to a ren fest, once, going again this year, in garb!

Also I have recently become interested in the history of the settlement of the Great Lakes area, particularly the history of Mackinac Island and how it figured in the American Revolution and wars after that.

I would like to get my hands on a copy of The Book of the Wars of the Lord. Since nobody has found it. Or go back to that time and watch the Roaming Jews kick every ass they saw. I can see it now: the battle is going badly. The not-Jews are winning. Then BOOM ARK OF THE COVENANT GOD MODE and the Jews win.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I would like to get my hands on a copy of The Book of the Wars of the Lord. Since nobody has found it. Or go back to that time and watch the Roaming Jews kick every ass they saw. I can see it now: the battle is going badly. The not-Jews are winning. Then BOOM ARK OF THE COVENANT GOD MODE and the Jews win.

Face-melting fun :mrgreen:

More interested in the Cold War, personally. Was a 60 year staring contest where blinking meant nuclear annihilation. What's not to like?

Why the history of the Great Lakes, if I may ask? Never once have I ever thought of the history of that area.

He probably lives there. I myself would like to know more about the history of southern California, but There's too little records it seems. One day I plan to go to one of these historical houses musems they have around; that'll probably have something.

siggy3s.jpg