SkillCapes - Overrated?

Undo

Skill capes ARE over rated if you wear them purely for stats.

If you wear it for style then dont let anyone tell you that your cape is not worth wearing whether its cooking or 120 dungeoneering

How?

The bonuses are very good for them. Almost the best next to SW Cape.

and firecape, and ardougne cape, and spottier cloak, and god capes and...

and even the difference between an untrimmed skillcape and an obby cape are minimal.

I think you meant to say Non-existent

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you can still tell me: WHAT do you like about the (slayer) cape?

Why do you prefer to wield it?

The only reason I can think is to show off: - the stats aren't best, and do you really care for yourself how you look can't believe that!

Well, there's your problem. YOU are deciding how HE should think. Why CAN'T he care how he looks? Maybe he has personal pride towards it. I don't see why YOU should make the decision on why HE shouldn't wear it.

The only thing I agree with is that wearing a skillcape for it's stats is stupid. Obsidian cape is easier to get, and we mentioned several other capes that outclass it in different ways.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I see skillcapes very much like the CLS: Not the best, but if you can't be bothered spending the time to get the best, it works. Oh, and they look much better than their counterparts to much of RS's population, despite the counterparts both looking pretty badass themselves.

(Comparison here:

Rapier - Cls - Maul

SW Cape - Skillcape - Firecape)

a70c7.png

I like my untrimmed defence cape. With more than 5 years of play time (and close to 2 years of being on a 'break'), I think it distinguishes me from a lot of other people. Do you know what it's like being called a def noob for more than 3 years of play-time? Some of the most interesting, and fun times i've ever had, haha. If you've ever seen someone 'rage-quit' because you were pulling out the whip combos in the wilderness, just think how people respond when their 99 strength hits a combo of 8 0's in a row.

sometimes skillcapes are more than just a goal, as OP suggested.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

i dont understand how 99 in any skill is a waste of time (like your 1st post states)

i dont like the fire cape or the SW cape.

i dont play runescape to be 100% pro-efficient.

i like rs and i like to wear whatever i feel like wearing, cosmetics is a part of rs FACE IT.

at the end of the day this is 100% personal preference when dealing with such a minimal statistic difference.

id support anyone anywhere to wear what they want regardless of what anyone else has to say.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont understand how 99 in any skill is a waste of time (like your 1st post states)

i dont like the fire cape or the SW cape.

i dont play runescape to be 100% pro-efficient.

i like rs and i like to wear whatever i feel like wearing, cosmetics is a part of rs FACE IT.

at the end of the day this is 100% personal preference when dealing with such a minimal statistic difference.

id support anyone anywhere to wear what they want regardless of what anyone else has to say.

By the definition of a 'Waste' of time, I suppose you could break it down by the explanation of why you strived for it.

If you did it for the Cape, then I'd consider it a waste of time.

If you did it to benefit you in the game to advance yourself further along with something else, I suppose it could be somewhat beneficial.

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."

I cringe when I see a fletching cape because the color scheme just looks bad to me. Cooking cape doesn't look half bad though.

Oh, I loved that fletching cape, and still like it.

To me, people wearing a skillcape aren't half as pretentious as people who go around sayingthey are "Pure f2p" or that they started in classic, or those who said BEW cheapened their accomplishments (Although these people simply didn't want to get their highscores spots taken). All that elitism, that's part of RS.

Skillcapes look pretty nice and add some diversity to RS. I don't see why people wearing them should bother you.

Because no matter how much people lie about why they're wearing them, it's to act better, to make people jealous, and to incite negative feelings. Especially the harder to get 99's capes. Slayer, Farming (not hard but people think it is), Runecrafting, Herblore etc.

Almost nobody wears it exclusively because they're proud of their accomplishment. That feeling goes away in a few days, I know because I've been there 4 times. I'm prepared to be assaulted and flamed.

Maybe you should get a hard 99 then. (slight sarcasm there)

Still proud of some of my 99's.

And varrock armor 2, white platelegs, a white amulet (Arcane stream/etc), your choice of boots, and cooking guantles/mage brawlers, fally shield/sara book. That is what I wore with my QP cape.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Almost nobody wears it exclusively because they're proud of their accomplishment. That feeling goes away in a few days, I know because I've been there 4 times. I'm prepared to be assaulted and flamed.

As stated above me, you need to find a harder accomplishment.

If you've spent enough time & had enough determination to achieve something, it should take more than a few days to eventually find it becoming stale.

A lot of accomplishments are like that, tbh.

I can't even really feel how it was like to get 1k total anymore. =\

The good thing is, I know there will be even more and better goals for me to achieve, and for this reason, I'm still hardworking towards my goals.

That's how you should see skill capes as - gotta have 'em all!

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

A lot of accomplishments are like that, tbh.

I can't even really feel how it was like to get 1k total anymore. =\

The good thing is, I know there will be even more and better goals for me to achieve, and for this reason, I'm still hardworking towards my goals.

That's how you should see skill capes as - gotta have 'em all!

Better goals as in?

Skillcapes are mainly for looks and showing off, I guess. A Soul Wars-cape beats them and doesn't require a 99. I love my Soul Wars-cape whenever using prayer potions, but always use my fire cape (or Ava's accumulator) for slayer, camping, etc.

If your goal is to achieve a skillcape for show-off, I really don't know why you'd do it, especially if it's common ones like firemaking, fletching, woodcutting or cooking. Probably personal preference, though.

However, for efficiency, these are best:

*Ava's accumulator (when ranging)

*God capes (when maging)

*Fire cape (when using melee)

*Soul Wars cape (when using prayer)

For looks, I'd probably go with rare skillcapes, e.g. prayer, herblore and agility.

*God capes (when maging)

off topic, but generally fire cape > soul wars cape even when praying, unless banking and coming back to the monster is an issue.

i only use sw cape at godwars, tds, and dks.

Skillcapes are mainly for looks and showing off, I guess. A Soul Wars-cape beats them and doesn't require a 99. I love my Soul Wars-cape whenever using prayer potions, but always use my fire cape (or Ava's accumulator) for slayer, camping, etc.

If your goal is to achieve a skillcape for show-off, I really don't know why you'd do it, especially if it's common ones like firemaking, fletching, woodcutting or cooking. Probably personal preference, though.

*God capes (when maging)

For looks, I'd probably go with rare skillcapes, e.g. prayer, herblore and agility.

I'd rather just stick with an SW Cape or a FireCape while Ranging.

Mainly because the Ava looks pretty lame, imo.

The reason they aren't getting respect (Cooking, Fletching, Woodcutting, even Firemaking) is because they are deemed TOO easy to get. I know plenty of high level skillers who don't have 99s in those skills, but that's not the point. The point is that Runescape is gradually becoming easier, therefore making Cooking and Fletching a walk in the park.

I mean, Rocktails? Sacred Clay Knifes for Magic Longbows? How much easier do you WANT them?

The older players deserve respect because they obtained 99s when they were actually WORTH A DAMN. These days it's only skills such as Agility, Runecrafting and Slayer that get respected as skill capes (and 99s) because they are harder and take more time to obtain. No offense but getting a 99 on Runescape Classic and Runescape 2 was much more SIGNIFICANT, much more. Reason, because most people trained a skill only to a point where it was deemed useful, and two, because Skill Capes didn't exist back then.

Today I just see a 99 as just another goal, not a major accomplishment. You can argue that I obtained all of the easy 99s first, but those were the skills I WANTED 99 in. It's depressing to see pages full of people with all 99s, and not see the kind of status that 'Zezima' had for years because he was leagues ahead of everybody else. There was a wider gap at the top, and less competition. Runescape was more about friendship and being social rather than grinding away on skills. Today it's all about the stats, wealth, and efficiency of your character. I must say that I don't fit well into this new generation of gamers.