SkillCapes - Overrated?

Undo

Everyone has one nowadays. It's become a goal rather than an accomplishment.

What I mean by that is, SkillCapes weren't added into the game with JaGeX's intentions of players specifically getting a 99 to wear the SkillCape. Sure, it probably crossed their mind, but that was not their intention.

So, what's wrong with SkillCapes being the era of multi-colored ObbyCapes (Regardless of the bonuses)?

SkillCapes should be respected. But, many are not.

Cooking - Extremely common.

WoodCutting - Common.

Fletching - Very common.

Why is 'Common' a bad thing?

You DON'T stand out as easily as you thought you would.

Face it, getting as many "NICE SKILLCAPE!" compliments as you did when they first came out is over.

The only way to stand out now is if you're wearing a PartyHat.

Get a FireCape or SoulWars cape. 99 of a Skill, is a waste of time - Unless you actually use the Skill; which most aren't used upon during a regular basis.

1. "My ear's in a cup, I guess that doesn't count..."

2. "So heyyy, that's a pretty reasonable reaction huh?"

3. "So you up for NAFTA?"

4. "That went exactly how I wanted it to."

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like my achievements, and the skillcapes are representative of that achievement. I don't give a crap on what other people think of it, or whether it stands out or whatever.

And I thought we were rid of you :wall: .

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

MY CAPES!

sig1.pngsig2.png

Dragon drops: Draconic Visage, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Med Helm, Dragon Platelegs

Other drops: Dragon Chainbody

e5lft5.png

Loot

↓↓

Verac's flail, Verac's skirt x2, Guthan's platebody x2, Guthan's warspear x3, Dharok's helm x2, Ahrim's hood, Ahrim's robeskirt, Torag's platelegs, Karil's top, Karil's skirt, Karil's crossbow x2

I don't think skillcapes have been exactly a game changer.

Before they were there people got a 99 to have a 99.

Now people get a 99 to have a 99 and alos have a cape to readily display yes I have this 99.

Before skillcapes hundreds - thousands had 99 in each skill (other than new ones as they obv take time)

Now more have 99s yes, but years have passed; its impossible for 99s to become any rarer only more common.

It is still an achievement to get 13mil xp in any 1 skill

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

you're only 5 years late with this post..

The people who played the game for fun have long left and made place for those who train for levels & hard goals.

Before people didn't get to 99 to have a 99.. People just skilled for fun and eventually gained lvl 99. (I remember people actually feeling sad that there was nothing left to do for the skill they liked most).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

If your going to argue about what capes are usefull then don't recommend soul wars cape.

Thats useless.

Jagex just couldn't stop making capes for some reason.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

If your going to argue about what capes are usefull then don't recommend soul wars cape.

Thats useless.

Jagex just couldn't stop making capes for some reason.

lol soul wars useless?

-it's only 1 less def, yet gives 4 more prayer boost..

That prayer boost is very, very usefull for slayer! - While pietying (or actually praying in general) it's more useful than the fire cape of 75% of the tasks. (Only high level monsters are affected by the attack boost of the firecape).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

It is a way of giving the individual player a reward for their hard work. The fact that immature players have turned it into a popularity contest is something COMPLETELY different.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It is a way of giving the individual player a reward for their hard work. The fact that immature players have turned it into a popularity contest is something COMPLETELY different.

YES. People get a 99, and they were their skillcape. Then some [cabbage] guy comes along going, oh you have 99 wc, that's so easy, i bet you used ivy!@@!

Seriously, shutup, it's first and foremost, and always will be, a GAME.

Strife.png

Why does it bother you so much that people wear Skill Capes? It doesn't effect your game unless you're blinded by the colours of them :P

Quite a lot of the skill capes look quite nice and there are a lot of people in game who value aesthetics over practicality. There are also those who are actually proud with what they have achieved in game and wear the capes because they've earned it.

I personally wear my Hitpoints Cape most of the time because it looks nice and it's the most recent achievement I'm proud of. Even though the Fire Cape has better stats I think it's ugly so if I did have one I wouldn't wear it. It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day, not everyone plays the game in the same way!

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

99s in general are overrated

i know tons of people who would rather have 1 99 than 2 95s, and that is totaly [developmentally delayed]ed

i just see 99 as 13m xp

reasons why its overrated to get 99

1. you rush to get 99 asap and dont do skills youd actualy like to be doing, you just do 1 skill nonstop which gets boring

2. once you get 99 you never train that skill again

i jus train skills as i please and bring them up evenly, once i get 99 in a skill ill continue to train it as i please, maybe ill get 20m xp in the skill or more, i dont see the point in not training just cuz ir 99

a_final_name.png

Why does it bother you so much that people wear Skill Capes? It doesn't effect your game unless you're blinded by the colours of them :P

Quite a lot of the skill capes look quite nice and there are a lot of people in game who value aesthetics over practicality. There are also those who are actually proud with what they have achieved in game and wear the capes because they've earned it.

I personally wear my Hitpoints Cape most of the time because it looks nice and it's the most recent achievement I'm proud of. Even though the Fire Cape has better stats I think it's ugly so if I did have one I wouldn't wear it. It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day, not everyone plays the game in the same way!

I kinda agree with this post (all but the fire cape comments ;)) I, myself, have an untrimmed defence skill cape that I love to bits and wear it on most of my slayer tasks. At christmas time I will be getting a smithing cape when I reach 99 because it is my favourite skill. People go for 99's because they want them. A 99 takes time and patience. Personal choice, not respect for a cape, is what drives people. If I bump into Blood I will say "nice skillcape" because it is. No matter how many thousands of HP capes I have seen, same for herby and for smithing, and prayer, and every other skill cape you and think of. It is still an achievement that people get kudo's for. Maybe just because someone didn't like yours (if you have one) doesn't mean other people don't like theirs ;)

However if you want Kudo's and respect so much for it, go get 99/120 Dung.... That'll give you plenty of respect for the time being anyways.

I can't be bothered getting a 99, so why not go and get one then come back eh Undo?

With regards to the last point, you stand out just as much with a fire cape and SW cape as you do with a skill cape. Perhaps a TINY bit more so. I adore my fire cape and it's the reason I ALWAYS wear a RoL. However it is pretty much obselete. Tonight I have started a nech task which I'm pietying using an Ardy Cape 2 because it has better prayer. SW cape beats FC too. With 99 defence anyways there is no noticeable difference for me between my skill cape or fire cape.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Already had a firecape and got the Soulwars whenever it came out. I tend to stick to soulwars for slayer and combat but outside of that I prefer something like a skillcape. I tend to pick the skillcape of the skill I am training or smithing cape because its my favourite.

Though I reckon once the maxed skillcape is released and once I am maxed I would wear that one quite frequently lol.. I wouldnt rule that one out as being overrated.. Not that I consider particularly any skill to be. It will probably even have an effect like the uber dung cape. But probably still stick to smithing mostly as it would be amusing for all 5 minutes and would want to continue normal gameplay.

People like em and they mean alot to some people. Especially if you feel connected with a certain skill. Cant overrate that.

Two things:

1. This thread again?

2. You again?

All of my 99's are byproducts of me slaying. All of my future 99's will be byproducts of obtaining some useful item(s) or ability, like 99 Herblore and Dungeoneering.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I don't usually wear my skillcapes. I'm completely fine with people going for 99s and achieveing goals, but if you're willing to spend 100+ hours for a cape that's ridiculous. Runescape is not about showing off, contrary to the popular belief of people who try to flaunt skillcapes. (not reffering to any of you, but if you wear a skillcape to impress people that's sad)

ZMFg2.jpg

I don't think skillcapes have been exactly a game changer.

Before they were there people got a 99 to have a 99.

Now people get a 99 to have a 99 and alos have a cape to readily display yes I have this 99.

Before skillcapes hundreds - thousands had 99 in each skill (other than new ones as they obv take time)

Now more have 99s yes, but years have passed; its impossible for 99s to become any rarer only more common.

It is still an achievement to get 13mil xp in any 1 skill

Not game changing? There were like 3 (THREE) people with maxed stats pre-skillcapes. There are now *checks high scores* about 367 people with 99 all. (It's hard to say with dungeonering; it's possible some people have over 99 dunge, but have a skill under 99. However, there are 367 people with 2475 total level or higher on the highscores list, which is the total level if you have 99 in all skill including dunge.) And I must know wonder how many hundreds more have 99 in all skills except Dunge....yeah.

Yes, there was SOME skilling for the sake of skilling pre-skillcape. But the amount skyrocketed with skillcapes - all those common capes mentioned, cook, fletch, firemaking - probably 90% of those people wouldn't have 99 if it wasn't for the cape.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.