SkillCapes - Overrated?

Undo

The amount of level 80's walking round with Fletching, Cooking or Woodcutting capes thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and bragging about their 99's is ridiculous. I'm level 109, I have no 99's, but I can almost guarentee that anybody with any of those 3 capes around my level will have a poor total level compared to me. i thnk it's about time people who prefer to train all their skills get some recognition, for example, skill total capes.

You can't say that 99 is nothing and then turn right around and say that high total levels deserve respect. They're the same thing.

Well no, they're not the same thing, because having 99 Cooking at 1200 total isn't as good as having 1700+ total

What about not having 99 cooking at 2200+ total? Who determines what is "good"?

Personally, for most skills the difference between 95 and 99 aren't really all that great, to me, except for expensive ones/slow ones. I got 97 FM, then left it there for 6+ months. After I got 99 prayer, summoning, and slayer, almost any other 99 is less prestiges, or good looking.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I see Jelly?

Any 99 is a respectable accomplishment in my eyes, so wear that cape PROUDLY!

..unless you botted, then you should get off and go play with your barbies in the corner.

See, you have 3 skillcapes. Once you get hard capes/more capes, they start to lose their value to you.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

The amount of level 80's walking round with Fletching, Cooking or Woodcutting capes thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and bragging about their 99's is ridiculous. I'm level 109, I have no 99's, but I can almost guarentee that anybody with any of those 3 capes around my level will have a poor total level compared to me. i thnk it's about time people who prefer to train all their skills get some recognition, for example, skill total capes.

You can't say that 99 is nothing and then turn right around and say that high total levels deserve respect. They're the same thing.

Well no, they're not the same thing, because having 99 Cooking at 1200 total isn't as good as having 1700+ total

What about not having 99 cooking at 2200+ total? Who determines what is "good"?

Personally, for most skills the difference between 95 and 99 aren't really all that great, to me, except for expensive ones/slow ones. I got 97 FM, then left it there for 6+ months. After I got 99 prayer, summoning, and slayer, almost any other 99 is less prestiges, or good looking.

Well to me a high total level is better than having a 99 in most skills. All I mean is I have more respect for someone with a high total level without a skillcape than someone with a low total level with one.

Babyshambles.png

Just play the game and keep the F off other people's business. I LOVE my Ranged cape, I'm gonna love my Trimmed HP cape even more, and yes, i am gonna wear it everywhere. I'm probably gonna wear my slayer, att, def, str etc etc, capes even more. Don't rain on other people's parade, just because you don't have one.

Purekilljoy.png

Just play the game and keep the F off other people's business. I LOVE my Ranged cape, I'm gonna love my Trimmed HP cape even more, and yes, i am gonna wear it everywhere. I'm probably gonna wear my slayer, att, def, str etc etc, capes even more. Don't rain on other people's parade, just because you don't have one.

R u mad sir?

Ur mad br0

Y u mad? :(

Honestly, this topic wasn't about raining on your parade. It is however, a discussion based on why some people are under the impression that some, if not all, skillcapes are over rated.

Stop taking things so personally.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

R u mad sir?

Ur mad br0

Y u mad? :(

Honestly, this topic wasn't about raining on your parade. It is however, a discussion based on why some people are under the impression that some, if not all, skillcapes are over

rated.

Stop taking things so personally.

I think ur mad cos I'm coming closer to getting ur cape and der will be 1 mor person wiv 99 slayr so is gona make it less pristigious.

No, but srsly blind, stop trolling this poor gentleman.

And never forget that ilu <3

On topic, I'm pretty close to having a double 99 party (slay/summ), so that'll be nice. And I will only really wear my cape(s) when I'm skilling because they look nice, sure, it's nice to have a few compliments thrown my way every now and again, and really the combat stats don't matter when you're skilling.

But it'll never replace my fire cape when monsterhunting/slaying.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

They aren't overrated and they never will be. People where them to show an achievement that they are proud of, whether they care what people think or say is up to them.

True. At least partly. Some skillcapes, like the cooking one, is overrated by some people that are new to the game and think it is impossible to reach level 99.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I just wear my quest cape due it looks nice with my non-combat outfit, and the fact that I don't have a fire cape for when I'm slaying (long story), I didn't do all the quests for the cape, I just enjoy quests. Just play rs how you want to, people got 99s before the capes, the capes are just a little bonus, if you get a 99 just for the cape, then you're on a horrible grind for nothing.

I've got nothing against getting 99 in a skill. I do have a problem with skillcapes cause they make every mid to high-leveled person look like clones.. They should be a nice thing to show off once in a while. I cringe when people ask how many 99s you have. It's like your character isn't up to standard with everyone else unless you have a 99.

tablw5.png

Kill corporate radio. http://www.killradio.org

I've got nothing against getting 99 in a skill. I do have a problem with skillcapes cause they make every mid to high-leveled person look like clones.. They should be a nice thing to show off once in a while. I cringe when people ask how many 99s you have. It's like your character isn't up to standard with everyone else unless you have a 99.

I agree here. I rarely saw skillcapes when I was F2P and they were a big deal, when I got members everyone and their level-3 had one or more.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

Ye, I don't respect most skill capes. That isn't to say they aren't nice looking and most take a fair amount of work or money, I just don't respect most. The few I do are ones such as slayer/summoning/dungeneering.

Stonewall337.png

Unfortunately, this is unfeasible. I will run out of spare hitpoints xp before I get 96 sum.

Or you could do tormented demons, that's absolutely lousy xp but they drop good charms :thumbup:.

OT: I don't care for the capes or the levels, just for the usefulness. 99 prayer, 99 hunter etc. have their uses although 95/91 are all you need. So I'd get those 99's (if I had to get a 99) over things like 99 fletching/crafting.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I agree here. I rarely saw skillcapes when I was F2P and they were a big deal, when I got members everyone and their level-3 had one or more.

But whats wrong with showing of something your proud of? Sure I agree it's just stupid to make fun of someone becuase they don't have a lot of skill capes but if someones proud of getting a 99 why not let them wear it as often as they can? It only costs 99k and very seldom there is something far more important to take the cape spot while skilling.

I just wear my quest cape due it looks nice with my non-combat outfit, and the fact that I don't have a fire cape for when I'm slaying (long story), I didn't do all the quests for the cape, I just enjoy quests. Just play rs how you want to, people got 99s before the capes, the capes are just a little bonus, if you get a 99 just for the cape, then you're on a horrible grind for nothing.

Show me this outfit please? >.>

Ontopic: people are going to get judged for their skillcapes. If that wasn't the case, most people that had one probably wouldn't - and this world would be entirely different....

The main thing I look down on is people who get a skillcape* "just to fit in" or something a long the lines of "I'm level 90/100/110+ without a skillcape, I feel like a noob, so I'm getting a cooking cape." I actually know a few people who went for a cooking cape because they felt like a noob/frowned upon/a disgrace for not having a skillcape at their level. Ironically, many of the people "their level" presumably (ok, before anyone accuses me of making this up, I'll admit I am) have a cape just because of their own desire to "not be a noob."

*Usually cooking/fletching, followed by firemaking.**

**I actually sort of respect the firemaking cape, definitely more then cooking/fletching, because of how tedious it is. Ah, what an interesting world we live in...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

But whats wrong with showing of something your proud of? Sure I agree it's just stupid to make fun of someone becuase they don't have a lot of skill capes but if someones proud of getting a 99 why not let them wear it as often as they can? It only costs 99k and very seldom there is something far more important to take the cape spot while skilling.

I agree. Getting down on someone because they're wearing s skillcape is just ridiculous to be honest, and if it's a hard skill they deserve props for their accomplishment as well.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

I agree. Getting down on someone because they're wearing s skillcape is just ridiculous to be honest, and if it's a hard skill they deserve props for their accomplishment as well.

They "deserve" neither respect nor derision. It's a representation of an investment of a certain amount of time towards a certain activity. Having a skillcape, even an uncommon one like runecrafting, is not inherently good or bad or impressive or n00by; it's just a thing. :mellow:

They look pretty cool though.

I cringe when I see a fletching cape because the color scheme just looks bad to me. Cooking cape doesn't look half bad though.

Oh, I loved that fletching cape, and still like it.

To me, people wearing a skillcape aren't half as pretentious as people who go around sayingthey are "Pure f2p" or that they started in classic, or those who said BEW cheapened their accomplishments (Although these people simply didn't want to get their highscores spots taken). All that elitism, that's part of RS.

Skillcapes look pretty nice and add some diversity to RS. I don't see why people wearing them should bother you.

WarBlastoise.png

I cringe when I see a fletching cape because the color scheme just looks bad to me. Cooking cape doesn't look half bad though.

To me, people wearing a skillcape aren't half as pretentious as people who go around sayingthey are "Pure f2p" or that they started in classic, or those who said BEW cheapened their accomplishments (Although these people simply didn't want to get their highscores spots taken). All that elitism, that's part of RS.

Skillcapes look pretty nice and add some diversity to RS. I don't see why people wearing them should bother you.

Because no matter how much people lie about why they're wearing them, it's to act better, to make people jealous, and to incite negative feelings. Especially the harder to get 99's capes. Slayer, Farming (not hard but people think it is), Runecrafting, Herblore etc.

Almost nobody wears it exclusively because they're proud of their accomplishment. That feeling goes away in a few days, I know because I've been there 4 times. I'm prepared to be assaulted and flamed.

Butt_Snakes.png

From the time I reach 99 Defense and HP to the end of August I'm going to try and get a bunch of 99s.

Because no matter how much people lie about why they're wearing them, it's to act better, to make people jealous, and to incite negative feelings. Especially the harder to get 99's capes. Slayer, Farming (not hard but people think it is), Runecrafting, Herblore etc.

Almost nobody wears it exclusively because they're proud of their accomplishment. That feeling goes away in a few days, I know because I've been there 4 times. I'm prepared to be assaulted and flamed.

I could honestly give a [cabbage] if others like my slayer cape, I wear it because I love Slayer, and what better way to show that by wearing the cape?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Because you wore capes to act better, make people jelous, incite negative feelings does not prove that all people are this way.

I wear my capes for color schemes.

I'm being blinded a bit by the extreme narrow-mindedness I'm seeing in this thread (though it's all over the place, too)...

People say that players aren't playing for fun anymore. Others say that people are too concerned about levels.

Well, for me, I find leveling FUN. I find going for 99s FUN. I don't see why that's so impossible...People seem to think only THEIR way of playing is fun, and the things they don't like are fun, and if they don't think it is, then NO ONE can.

Also, I'm pure f2p, and so I'm not really tempted to get my 99s for them (though I do think skillcapes are nice looking)...I remember when skillcapes were released, and I thought they were cool, and they only INCREASED my desire for a 99, they didn't create it.

Anyways, I'll do whatever I find fun in the game, but as I find skilling and leveling fun, I do tend to focus on that a lot...As someone else said, people such as myself care about aesthetics as well, and I think skillcapes look good (which is why I plan on getting a Smithing cape on my noob acc which I occasionally get members on...I like the skill, would like the cape, and wish to create a good outfit to go with the cape)...

But, more to the point of the thread, I don't entirely like what skillcapes have done...It's not hard to find, in game and on the RSOF, people who aren't going for a 99, but who are going for a skillcape...People who ask what your first skillcape was, not your first 99; who ask what your next skillcape will be, not your next 99; etc etc...

I can't blame people for liking skillcapes, but I wish they cared more about the game or a skill than just the cape...

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png

Cpchris.png