SkillCapes - Overrated?

Undo

It depends what they use them for. Those people who buy 99 cooking without leveling fishing are stupid. No-one can enjoy that ... Sure back in it's time it was good to get rank for it, but now leveling it purely to get a skill cape I have to call sad grind.

However, there are still 99s that are very good which represent dedication while still being fun. Slayer is a good example, with many by-products of it ( melee stats ). Dungeoneering is a good example, both for the fun and rewards.

Then we have the reward skills. Things such as prayer and herblore are boring to level if grinded, but the rewards for them ( pking with turm or gwd with ovys ) is definetly worth it.

There's also several skills which are a bit suss. Range is very good, very fun, can be done through slaying or the eventual outcome of pking / leveling. The rewards are high for arma, so overall it's quite nice. Sadly though you get those chinning noobs who afk level it for the sole intention of getting yet another 99 with no plans to use the skill - just show off the cape. The same can be said for magic in regards to buying things to high alch. Unless you're alching to 94 to do more dmg pking, then I really don't see the fun in it :ohnoes:

TL;DR

There are people who abuse 99s, and people who truely get them for fun or turn their grind ( prayer training ) into fun. I always do have to say something if I see a 99 cook with 70 fishing :twisted:

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends what they use them for. Those people who buy 99 cooking without leveling fishing are stupid. No-one can enjoy that ... Sure back in it's time it was good to get rank for it, but now leveling it purely to get a skill cape I have to call sad grind.

However, there are still 99s that are very good which represent dedication while still being fun. Slayer is a good example, with many by-products of it ( melee stats ). Dungeoneering is a good example, both for the fun and rewards.

Then we have the reward skills. Things such as prayer and herblore are boring to level if grinded, but the rewards for them ( pking with turm or gwd with ovys ) is definetly worth it.

There's also several skills which are a bit suss. Range is very good, very fun, can be done through slaying or the eventual outcome of pking / leveling. The rewards are high for arma, so overall it's quite nice. Sadly though you get those chinning noobs who afk level it for the sole intention of getting yet another 99 with no plans to use the skill - just show off the cape. The same can be said for magic in regards to buying things to high alch. Unless you're alching to 94 to do more dmg pking, then I really don't see the fun in it :ohnoes:

TL;DR

There are people who abuse 99s, and people who truely get them for fun or turn their grind ( prayer training ) into fun. I always do have to say something if I see a 99 cook with 70 fishing :twisted:

You realize how arrogant that sounds? =;

There are other ways to get 99 cooking besides fishing your own fish. Like wines or pies.

e: it's also pretty hypocritical by a quick comparison of your fishing/cooking and woodcutting/fletching levels.

e: it's also pretty stupid

What I mean by that is, SkillCapes weren't added into the game with JaGeX's intentions of players specifically getting a 99 to wear the SkillCape. Sure, it probably crossed their mind, but that was not their intention.

Where'd you get this? Your ass?

Starcraft 2 - PCTahvo.617. Message me if you want to play, always up to play with fellow Tifers.

I have partyhats instead of skillcapes, but they're basically the same thing. I'm proud to show off my accomplishments, and for many people they're one of the most important goals in the game. Some people don't play with a skillcape or omething similar as a goal but that's fine too, RuneScape is an open ended game.

Guide - How To Prepare For (And profit From) Free Trade & the Return of the Wilderness

rune-tips-banner.jpg

2.17B Total Wealth ~ The Original Grand Exchange Merchant

There are other ways to get 99 cooking besides fishing your own fish. Like wines or pies.

e: it's also pretty hypocritical by a quick comparison of your fishing/cooking and woodcutting/fletching levels.

e: it's also pretty stupid

I got 99 fletching a long time ago when it was profitable, and that's why I did it. Nowdays people are willing to spend money to level fletching. The same goes for my cooking fishing gap to a lesser extent.

Why is it stupid?

Edit - Also must stress those aiming for max total aren't included in my category. Just those who will grind a cape simply for getting a cape.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

I wanted the FM cape cuz it and it's good are Orange. Thats why I got 99 fm, only reason. Attack, Defense, Strength, Hit Points all cape from doing Slayer. I rarely wear those capes...

I like skill capes though. Showing accomplishment is nice.

35b9enp.jpg

SkillCapes should be respected. But, many are not.

Cooking - Extremely common.

WoodCutting - Common.

Fletching - Very common.

Why is 'Common' a bad thing?

You DON'T stand out as easily as you thought you would.

I don't think this is necessarily the fault of skill capes. There are two things to consider here:

1. Certain level 99s were viewed as less respected even before skill capes came out. At this point it was mainly cooking and fletching.

2. Many, many years have gone past since skill capes came out and since then people have had years and years to level up. ALL level 99s have become much more common. So it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with skill capes, just the fact that people have had more time to achieve level 99s. Several years ago (before skill capes came out), the game hadn't been out as long, people hadn't been playing as long, and there were less people with level 99 in every skill.

It is true that some people get a level 99 just for the cape, but that's up to them. I don't think it has negatively affected the game at all. If skill capes seem "overrated" now it's just because more people have level 99s so they are more common. This fact would not change if skill capes were never brought into the game.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

How are skillcapes overrated?

Just because they're more common now doesn't mean they're "overrated". You do realize skillcapes have one of the best stats in the game right?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

The stats on them is why they're overrated, I have 0 skillcapes in my bank, I do however have; Soul wars & Fire cape + Avas accumulator.

I refuse to be a dragon boot, slayer cape, mystic and dragonfire shield wielding person at Ice Strykes.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

The stats on them is why they're overrated, I have 0 skillcapes in my bank, I do however have; Soul wars & Fire cape + Avas accumulator.

I refuse to be a dragon boot, slayer cape, mystic and dragonfire shield wielding person at Ice Strykes.

That's unfair to assume that everyone that uses a skill cape at ice wyrms is stupid.

I mean, I have a fire cape, but even if I didn't, i'd still have the common sense to use ahrims, a mages/unholy book and infinity boots, because that's just the basics of maging.

Just because people like to wear their skill capes doesn't make them generally an idiot, it just makes them proud.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

I'm going for 99 Woodcutting.

Not to get the skillcape, but rather because I like the skill and it makes great money.

But yeah, I do agree, immature kids on RS make them look like a contest.

That's unfair to assume that everyone that uses a skill cape at ice wyrms is stupid.

I mean, I have a fire cape, but even if I didn't, i'd still have the common sense to use ahrims, a mages/unholy book and infinity boots, because that's just the basics of maging.

Just because people like to wear their skill capes doesn't make them generally an idiot, it just makes them proud.

That's why I added the Dragonfire shield + Dragon boots in there, I just think there's a equipt screen for a reason ;)

Ironically I have an Ice Stryke task now

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I have partyhats instead of skillcapes, but they're basically the same thing. I'm proud to show off my accomplishments, and for many people they're one of the most important goals in the game. Some people don't play with a skillcape or omething similar as a goal but that's fine too, RuneScape is an open ended game.

I wouldn't exactly call Merchanting a accomplishment, but that's merely my opinion. I'll admit I want some capes just because it looks good with an outfit, but there's also ones where I do it because I like the idea of the skill. I'd love to get 99 RC because the cape is damn hot, the profit is great and I dont mind RC'ing. The problem though is I neither have the time or patience to accomplish it without it spanding over 5 years.

Popoto.~<3

i think 99 capes are an acheivments (even though i dont have 1) but if some lvl 3 or a lower level then me has a fm,cooking, or fletching cape is saying that hes better then me becuase he/she has that cape, now that is just freaking bull

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Not to get the skillcape, but rather because I like the skill and it makes great money.

Fair warning, it actually doesn't.

I think skill cape discussions are overrated. I mean everyone's basically just saying the same thing they said 2 weeks after capes were released...

:thumbsup:

That.....was a bad example. (considering I've never seen anything close to that....ever....)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

That.....was a bad example. (considering I've never seen anything close to that....ever....)

But you posted a picture of something similar, if I recall correctly. And that would be quite amusing to watch. Perhaps they were using slayer dart?

OT:

I don't have a skill cape, and for me, it has become some kind of bragging rights. How often do you see a player 90+ Herblore, 85+ Slayer, and 88+ Summoning with no skill capes? My dream is to make it to 96 Summoning, and 96 Prayer, and remain skillcapeless. Unfortunately, this is unfeasible. I will run out of spare hitpoints xp before I get 96 sum. I could however get 96 sum with an untrimmed hp cape. Which is almost as good.

pere_grin.png

But you posted a picture of something similar, if I recall correctly. And that would be quite amusing to watch. Perhaps they were using slayer dart?

OT:

I don't have a skill cape, and for me, it has become some kind of bragging rights. How often do you see a player 90+ Herblore, 85+ Slayer, and 88+ Summoning with no skill capes? My dream is to make it to 96 Summoning, and 96 Prayer, and remain skillcapeless. Unfortunately, this is unfeasible. I will run out of spare hitpoints xp before I get 96 sum. I could however get 96 sum with an untrimmed hp cape. Which is almost as good.

isnt what you want, the same of people that want a skillcape?

you want to achive some levels, at certain stage, so you can fell proud about, the same as skillcapes imo.

AbandonnedEpicDpser25.pngAbandonnedHeroDpser22.pngWarpedEpicDpser25.png

When they were released, the only reason to have one apart from some sense of self-accomplishment, was the def and pray bonus. Obby cape already had the def, so you only really needed the pray. Sure, back then, everyone and their mother wanted dem omg so awsum!!!!!!!! skillcapes, but really...

They're rather outclassed now by SW and (when stabbing) Ardy cloak

Plus they kinda look like crap, but meh

But yeah, I do agree, immature kids on RS make them look like a contest.

Woodcutting is far from great money, even at 99, although I will admit it is very relaxing.

But the fact remains that alot of people strive to 99, not purley because they enjoy the skill but for the cape/99 stat. Thats why there are a lot of people with just enough xp for 99, and realitivley few that have just stopped at 98. And personally I'm fine with that, I enjoyed woodcutting but now its time to move on, because honestly woodcutting now seems like a "waste" of time and efficency because I can gain money faster, and leveling woodcutting to be able to do new things is at this point impossible. Maybe some day I'll woodcut again but right now theres more things for me to discover and explore.