Efficiency

Michael

Are you just trying to sound rich? Even if you have 1bil that's a waste of 5mil still. Maybe you don't care about wasting it, but it's still a waste.

It's not a waste if it's being used. Id rather have something that is going to help me get something done than 5m sitting in my bank.

Money, more often than not, loses it's value faster than items, so that's one thing to consider. Also, some people have ridiculous amounts of money and nowhere to put it- none of their goals require gp, thus, it'd be a massive waste to just sit on all that gp.

Flipping is pretty efficient. Gotta know what you're doing though

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The assumption that not getting the best gear/stats is more efficient for 99 slayer is only valid if:

A) you are never, EVER going to upgrade your equipment or train herblore/prayer AFTER getting 99 slayer,

B) you never boss hunt now or in the future, and

C) you give up slayer and all other forms of combat completely after you reach 99.

The typical player does enough combat outside of training 99s, be it for fun, profit, or highscores rank, that the proposition that not ever getting 95 prayer, 96 herb, 80 dung, and the best combat gear possible is MORE efficient is laughable. It's not saving any time to first focus on getting 99 slayer with crappy gear/stats and THEN spend the money to upgrade- you just did slayer slowly for no reason whatsoever.

And then, beyond the argument of pure efficiency, having the best damage per second faster is a hell of a lot more fun. I'd go through hell to get an extra few strength bonus because being the best at combat is one of the few things that really matters to me in this game (see: 300 rank in MA lol).

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Kind of going off topic here, but I don't think slayer is the best way to max. Getting a decent combat, then 85 DG, and then maxing out on frosts is probably the most efficient way to go. Frosts are high profit, drop summoning charms, and drop effigies.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Kind of going off topic here, but I don't think slayer is the best way to max. Getting a decent combat, then 85 DG, and then maxing out on frosts is probably the most efficient way to go. Frosts are high profit, drop summoning charms, and drop effigies.

That could be true if you consider all 200ms, because you won't be maxed melee when you get 200m slayer, and will have to finish off the rest of the exp somewhere else regardless

ZMFg2.jpg

So... the conclusions?

From this thread, efficiency has several different definitions:

- Efficiency is the best method to achieve a particular goal (speed, money, or a combo of both).

- Efficiency is the method that involves the least effort. This may be AFK in some cases.

- Efficiency is your own preferred method. In other words, fun. This is often ignored when accounting for efficiency.

However, efficiency also factors in your ability to do particular methods. Boss hunting may be one of the best methods of cash in the game, but it can be very hard. Skilling is an extremely easy way to make cash, but it doesn't give you much in return.

For example, a level 3 is obviously not capable of combat moneymakers, so he/she has to resort to skilling. For the level 3, skilling is the most efficient method of moneymaking.

However, a person with maxed combats, max gear, overloads and turmoil has the capability to bosshunt, therefore boss hunting is the most efficient method of moneymaking.

Of course, all this falls short to merching, which absolutely anyone can do. However, doing so requires great knowledge of how the economy works, and unfortunately not a lot of people have that knowledge. This means, a method is only efficient if you are smart with it.

So the main conclusion?

Efficiency is your ability to use the best methods possible (gp, xp, time saved) THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO YOU AND YOUR SKILLS.

All the "fun" people can gtfo. Remember, fun is subjective, but that has no effect on efficiency at all.

3rd one is wrong. That is effective, attaining a goal, but not qualifying HOW the goal is reached. Rc'ing airs to 99 is effective, in the comparative to efficiency sense (as it has several definitions, in this case we've been using it to mean Successful in producing a desired or intended result), but not efficient.

@Thomas154321

1.) Serker ring is worth it, as has been shown numerous times, especially the more it is used.

2.) 5m in an item, which I can sell as well as gaining the benefit of its use is far more useful then 5m sitting in my bank.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

So... the conclusions?

- Efficiency is the best method to achieve a particular goal (speed, money, or a combo of both).

- Efficiency is the method that involves the least effort. This may be AFK in some cases.

- Efficiency is your own preferred method. In other words, fun. This is often ignored when accounting for efficiency.

However, efficiency also factors in your ability to do particular methods. Boss hunting may be one of the best methods of cash in the game, but it can be very hard. Skilling is an extremely easy way to make cash, but it doesn't give you much in return.

For example, a level 3 is obviously not capable of combat moneymakers, so he/she has to resort to skilling. For the level 3, skilling is the most efficient method of moneymaking.

However, a person with maxed combats, max gear, overloads and turmoil has the capability to bosshunt, therefore boss hunting is the most efficient method of moneymaking.

Of course, all this falls short to merching, which absolutely anyone can do. However, doing so requires great knowledge of how the economy works, and unfortunately not a lot of people have that knowledge. This means, a method is only efficient if you are smart with it.

So the main conclusion?

Efficiency is your ability to use the best methods possible (gp, xp, time saved) THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO YOU AND YOUR SKILLS.

All the "fun" people can gtfo. Remember, fun is subjective, but that has no effect on efficiency at all.

3rd one is wrong. That is effective, attaining a goal, but not qualifying HOW the goal is reached. Rc'ing airs to 99 is effective, in the comparative to efficiency sense (as it has several definitions, in this case we've been using it to mean Successful in producing a desired or intended result), but not efficient.

Facts can be thought of as objective or subjective. Things and events are objective facts. A subjective fact is one that is limited to the subject experiencing it. Establishing the reality of subjective facts depends entirely on the trustworthiness of those who claim to be experiencing them.

Since efficiency can be defined as subjective or objective, fun can be factored in (subjective). Would it be efficient for you to train rc via ZMI, if you hated runecrafting at ZMI (so badly that half an hour of it would make you suicidal), but found Graahking pretty fun?

So... the conclusions?

So the main conclusion?

Facts can be thought of as objective or subjective. Things and events are objective facts. A subjective fact is one that is limited to the subject experiencing it. Establishing the reality of subjective facts depends entirely on the trustworthiness of those who claim to be experiencing them.

Since efficiency can be defined as subjective or objective, fun can be factored in (subjective). Would it be efficient for you to train rc via ZMI, if you hated runecrafting at ZMI (so badly that half an hour of it would make you suicidal), but found Graahking pretty fun?

You have a point, however, due to the pure nature of subjectivity and objectivity, one can not factor in fun, without knowing what is "fun" for everyone one is factoring in efficiency for. An example would be Grimy's spreadsheets, where fun (subjective) isn't factored. In fact, fun is more often factored in AFTER determining efficiency, then before, at least personally. EG: TDS/Frosties/DKS average between 3.5-4.5m gp/hr. I'd factor in all the variables, then decide WHICH I want to do based on fun. The objective facts (What I can make, where, based on what gear/method etc) are factored first, and then fun is added into the equation.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

So... the conclusions?

So the main conclusion?

You have a point, however, due to the pure nature of subjectivity and objectivity, one can not factor in fun, without knowing what is "fun" for everyone one is factoring in efficiency for. An example would be Grimy's spreadsheets, where fun (subjective) isn't factored. In fact, fun is more often factored in AFTER determining efficiency, then before, at least personally. EG: TDS/Frosties/DKS average between 3.5-4.5m gp/hr. I'd factor in all the variables, then decide WHICH I want to do based on fun. The objective facts (What I can make, where, based on what gear/method etc) are factored first, and then fun is added into the equation.

That's exactly what I do. It's technically impossible to plot fun on the graph, so there's really no point in trying to work out the most efficient methods without comparing methods objectively first.

I just hate it when people misunderstand the term 'Efficient', and post a bunch of stupid statements that is unfounded and untrue =/

Glad we understand each others stance now. That is why misunderstanding terms used by others, or not defining terms, can cause such trouble.

Stonewall337.png

Question - How efficient is crashing, or Killstealing (halfkilling)?

Hopping world takes like 40 secs, so why waste time trying to crash someone? Usually it's easy to find an empty world while slaying, dunno about bosshunting.

A_Kekek.png

Hopping world takes like 40 secs, so why waste time trying to crash someone? Usually it's easy to find an empty world while slaying, dunno about bosshunting.

Because this thread is about efficiency..

He's asking if it's more efficient to kill half, and let the other person kill the rest in terms of slayer and what not.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Well, it depends on the boss. For Bandos, it'd be much faster to crash someone than hop 20 times looking for an empty world.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

He's asking if it's more efficient to kill half, and let the other person kill the rest in terms of slayer and what not.

Does halfkilling count towards your slayer kill count?

If it doesn't, then maybe it's better. If it does count, then it's not, because you'll be getting less slayer exp per task.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Does halfkilling count towards your slayer kill count?

If it doesn't, then maybe it's better. If it does count, then it's not, because you'll be getting less slayer exp per task.

I think the one who does more damage gets full slayer xp for the monster, even if they only killed 51% of it. The other one(s) gets nothing, including credit for kill count.

Come dance.

Potkuassa.png

I was under the impression that you get half the experience for dealing 51% or more damage, and half the experience, and the kill, for dealing the final blow.

I don't know the mechanics, but in some situations you'll get a half of the normal slayer xp per monster. So it's not efficient to halfkill monsters. I'd say neither crashing nor halfkilling is efficient when it comes to slayer.

A_Kekek.png

I don't know the mechanics, but in some situations you'll get a half of the normal slayer xp per monster. So it's not efficient to halfkill monsters. I'd say neither crashing nor halfkilling is efficient when it comes to slayer.

It depends. I can crash someone of my level in a multicombat area if they're not using turmoil, extremes, and a combat familiar (I use all three). It'd be pretty easy to both out-hit and out-kill someone like that. However, I always hop for slayers who are actually trying to be fast, because they'll be able to steal some of my experience if I don't.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I was never talking about slayer in the first place. I was talking about training and boss hunting in general

Then generally, it depends on your level, their level and what their equpitment compared to yours.

If you can out kill, then the kills are faster, and hence, more efficient.

Especially if they stay and you get the kills .

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

For some reason, I feel bad when killstealing... but hey that's just me and my belief that everybody needs a chance to succeed.

In a sense though, it's more "efficient" because you won't have someone else constantly hogging your spawns.

This applies to skilling too. I HAVE to steal rocks when mining in the Dwarven Mine iron rocks because the competition is far too crazy.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

For some reason, I feel bad when killstealing... but hey that's just me and my belief that everybody needs a chance to succeed.

In a sense though, it's more "efficient" because you won't have someone else constantly hogging your spawns.

This applies to skilling too. I HAVE to steal rocks when mining in the Dwarven Mine iron rocks because the competition is far too crazy.

Why? I feel that others should hop, especially if I was there first. But my principal believe on crashing is situation, DKS I hop 3 times, then crash the easiest (rare), Bandos, crash the first easy person. Dags under lighthouse, I setup cannon right away. Nechs in CT, I just fight anyway.

Stonewall337.png

• 2 weeks later...

I feel this topic is somewhat related to the others being discussed on the boards.

On Topic; "Is efficiency laziness?"

Jrhairychest asserts yet again, that being efficient is actually a bad thing. I find it silly that anyone would actually consider DIY playing would be 'just fine' without justification. I'm sure you could play RS on your own, but would you really? Fact is, unless you're willing to sacrifice alot more time for your goals, it's not worth it.

I feel this topic is somewhat related to the others being discussed on the boards.

On Topic; "Is efficiency laziness?"

Jrhairychest asserts yet again, that being efficient is actually a bad thing. I find it silly that anyone would actually consider DIY playing would be 'just fine' without justification. I'm sure you could play RS on your own, but would you really? Fact is, unless you're willing to sacrifice alot more time for your goals, it's not worth it.

"efficiency = laziness" looks like rationalization to me

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top