Efficiency

Michael

You see the word used a lot when people talk about training skills, but there has to be a point were efficiency is done to ridiculous lengths. To the point where all fun is gone from the game, training skills to the most efficient may well mean you get X level quicker than others, but what is the point of training for efficiencies sake. I see people getting mocked and talked down too, purely because they aren't obsessed with training efficiently, maybe they like to train with a little fun once in a while, or don't have the levels to train the most efficiently, or simply just not wanting to drive all fun out of playing the game for the sake of a better Xp/Hr rate. Where do you stand on efficiency?

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like killing things fast, and doing things fast, and accomplishing a lot of things fast

usually this coincides with efficiency, so i guess i am pro-efficiency?

i don't get why people have so much animosity towards players who chose to be efficient. it's like being mad at a runner because he wants to run the fastest he can, saying "you shouldn't try to be so fast, try to enjoy it!" - who says you can't enjoy being efficient and have fun?

okay berserker ring

if you are lower leveled, i understand not wanting to buy a berserker ring. who wants to go make money for 4 hours to buy a ring when you can just train your str instead to hit harder?

but i am 138 combat, i cannot improve myself by training, so i buy the ring because it's the only thing i can do to be stronger

But when you start paying 5m for a ring that adds 14lp to your max hit, you do wonder about their sanity, or ability to work out what a sensible price is.

You realize that is a sensible price to quite a few players, right?

Edit: as for the OP's question, some people find it fun

But when you start paying 5m for a ring that adds 14lp to your max hit, you do wonder about their sanity, or ability to work out what a sensible price is.

5m seems fair to me. *shrug*

Exactly, what else am I going to spend that money on anyway?

Edit @ Racheya under me

Yes, I don't think people should push efficiency onto other people.

But I will say that the Shadow Silk Hood is epic. I don't regret losing my prom pl8 for one.

pere_grin.png

I have no problem with players being efficient, I have problems with those efficiency players pushing THEIR requirements onto other players. If I want to take my time Dungeoneering, and don't think that the Shadow Silk Hood is God's gift to Dungeoneering, doesn't make me bad at dung at all. I'd rather just ENJOY it.

Sometimes I do enjoy being efficient - but I always strive for a balance.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Are you just trying to sound rich? Even if you have 1bil that's a waste of 5mil still. Maybe you don't care about wasting it, but it's still a waste.

How? The ring provides more strength, it saves time, and will actually pay for itself after awhile.

I'd really like you to elaborate on how a zerker ring could possibly be a waste, especially in your theoretical situation when you have more than enough to afford it.

Like Bladewing said, efficiency and fun don't have to be mutually exclusive of one another. When I play a game, I like to get good at it. In Runescape, being good means being fast (read: efficient). The only skill that I don't train efficiently is Dungeoneering, but I blame Jagex for that (there are so many cool armors and items, yet we can only have two of them until level 100?).

Contrary to popular belief, the players who preach efficiency on these forums AREN'T sacrificing fun for it. I know xpx says that the best slayer block list is one that has tasks that you just don't like, even if they're technically good tasks. This is because people tend to be more efficient when they're having fun. Personally, I've chosen to bind two weapons in dungeoneering because just having a prom 2h and hood isn't fun for me, thus I'm more likely to train the skill if I have binds that I like (and training a skill is much more efficient than NOT training a skill if you need exp in it).

People who hate efficiency just don't understand it, I think. They're convinced that being efficient means spending hundreds of millions for minuscule boosts (like using Morrigan's and d stone/onyx bolts for solo Arma or something).

To the guy who said that a berserker ring is pointless, it only takes me an hour to make the money for one, and I can't raise my strength level any higher, so 4M seems like a bargain to me.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to feel good about yourself and where you are in the game.

People on this site use it freely and without any basis to efficiency in the real world.

Efficiency in RS quite offen is used to mean using the most expensive means available to accomplish something.

This is quite dubious because making gp takes time and effort and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as not fun or useful. (of course aside for illicit methods)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc.

Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "l2be efficient".

Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "But your inefficient, learn to RS"

I am not RS efficient.

Nor would I want to be.

I play nonprofit minigames.

I don't go out of my way to make gp, so I save gp when possible.

I don't "invest" in the GE.

You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game.

Now watch the efficiency trolls line up quoting my post.

Its always the same clowns too... :shame:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Are you just trying to sound rich? Even if you have 1bil that's a waste of 5mil still. Maybe you don't care about wasting it, but it's still a waste.

what should i spend my money on then?

e: also, saving 30seconds an hour is, for players that can make 4m an hour, savings of 33k an hour; you would only need to use the ring for 120 hours for it to pay itself off (consider that it takes around 300 hours to get 99 attack/str/def training at max speed). you also disregard that you can resell the ring for virtually no loss. you also disregard that hitting high is sweet :shades:

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to feel good about yourself and where you are in the game.

People on this site use it freely and without any basis to efficiency in the real world.

Efficiency in RS quite offen is used to mean using the most expensive means available to accomplish something.

This is quite dubious because making gp takes time and effort and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as not fun or useful. (of course aside for illicit methods)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc.

Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "l2be efficient".

Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "But your inefficient, learn to RS"

I am not RS efficient.

Nor would I want to be.

I don't "invest" in the GE.

You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game.

Now watch the efficiency trolls line up quoting my post.

I laughed...so very very hard....thank you so much.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

It saves maybe 30 seconds on a task that would take an hour. It's that insignificant.

I do understand why people buy it. There's often not much else to buy.

But you're still being ripped off.

You are not being ripped off if you are happy with the price you paid for it.

pere_grin.png

Guest jrhairychest

The minute you start playing the game the way someone else wants you to play it there's something seriously wrong. Make your own decisions, play your own game and enjoy it. I do and I've never given a stuff what anyone else thinks. Thats why I'm a happy player :thumbsup:

The minute you start playing the game the way someone else wants you to play it there's something seriously wrong. Make your own decisions, play your own game and enjoy it. I do and I've never given a stuff what anyone else thinks. Thats why I'm a happy player :thumbsup:

Indeed, I decided to play efficient. And I enjoy it very much. :thumbup:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Indeed, I decided to play efficient. And I enjoy it very much. :thumbup:

I like being efficient to, not super efficient because I like to watch tv or browse tif, but I do use turmoil on tasks and cannon tasks etc. If I don't do my tasks fast I get very bored so I do find efficiency fun.

@whoever was saying zeker ring is a waste I don't agree, it is if you only have a 20m bank but not if you have 100m+ and don't have anything else to spend it on. I'd rather have 30 seconds off my task then have 4m in my bank collecting dust.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

TheKoolKandy.png
siggy3s.png
Achievments: Maxed/Comp'd 7th of August 2012. 120 Dungeoneering sometime early december 2011. 99 Slayer achieved October 22nd, 2010. 99 Prayer achieved September 99 18th 2010. Summoning achieved September 14th 2010. 99 Defence achieved May 8th 2010. 99 Constituton achieved April 24th 2010. 99 Attack achieved on January 29th 2010 at 8:00 PM. Questpoint Cape on August 30th 2009.99 Strength (11:47 P.M. August 17 2009).

Edited to reflect my way of playing the game.

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to tell people what you enjoy about this game.

People on this site use it to represent methods that yield desired results, within certain price ranges.

Efficiency in RS quite often is used to mean doing something in the way that yields the fastest desired results, with the money you are willing to pay.

This works well because making gp is relatively easy, and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as fun and enjoyable. (such as Boss Hunting and merchanting)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc. Good thing we don't bother to listen when someone calls us names, after all, what a waste of time.

Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "leecher".

Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "nothing I say matters, they don't listen to flaming spammers anyway"

I am RS efficient.

Contrary to what inefficient people think, I do find it more fun.

I merchant in the GE on occaision.

You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game, it just takes longer.

Now watch the inefficienct trolls line up quoting my post.

**Formatting thanks to Golvellius.

pere_grin.png

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to tell people what you enjoy about this game.

People on this site use it to represent methods that yield desired results, within certain price ranges.

Efficiency in RS quite often is used to mean doing something in the way that yields the fastest desired results, with the money you are willing to pay.

This works well because making gp is relatively easy, and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as fun and enjoyable. (such as Boss Hunting and merchanting)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc. Good thing we don't bother to listen when someone calls us names, after all, what a waste of time.

Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "nothing I say matters, they don't listen to flaming spammers anyway"

I am RS efficient.

You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game, it just takes longer.

Your welcome clown #1. :thumbup:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Efficiency is a subjective word.

Efficiency helps you figure out how to get what you want.

what you want, is subjective, thus efficiency is subjective.

Obviously you want to have fun.

So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

the only reason fun isn't factored into efficiency calculations, is because it's subjective.

Making a spreadsheet assuming that someone has X amount of fun training Y skill is stupid.

It's like assuming that your target audience likes eating 5 apples equally as much as 3 strawberries.

it's stupid, and doesn't get you any meaningful results.

We just choose to ignore it because factoring fun into equations is impossible to do.

If you're not having fun training "efficiently". You're doing it wrong

Naaxi.png

I am RS efficient.

Your welcome clown #1. :thumbup:

Tbh, thats almost exactly why I posted this. And as such, I believe you get to be clown #1 for me. :P oh the good times.

I agree with Grimy

pere_grin.png