Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Efficiency

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Trollgazer
You see the word used a lot when people talk about training skills, but there has to be a point were efficiency is done to ridiculous lengths. To the point where all fun is gone from the game, training skills to the most efficient may well mean you get X level quicker than others, but what is the point of training for efficiencies sake. I see people getting mocked and talked down too, purely because they aren't obsessed with training efficiently, maybe they like to train with a little fun once in a while, or don't have the levels to train the most efficiently, or simply just not wanting to drive all fun out of playing the game for the sake of a better Xp/Hr rate. Where do you stand on efficiency?

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze
i like killing things fast, and doing things fast, and accomplishing a lot of things fast

usually this coincides with efficiency, so i guess i am pro-efficiency?

i don't get why people have so much animosity towards players who chose to be efficient. it's like being mad at a runner because he wants to run the fastest he can, saying "you shouldn't try to be so fast, try to enjoy it!" - who says you can't enjoy being efficient and have fun?

DF_Thomas
[ Display Name History ]

DF_Thomas

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 27 posts
But when you start paying 5m for a ring that adds 14lp to your max hit, you do wonder about their sanity, or ability to work out what a sensible price is.

Posted Image

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
okay berserker ring

if you are lower leveled, i understand not wanting to buy a berserker ring. who wants to go make money for 4 hours to buy a ring when you can just train your str instead to hit harder?

but i am 138 combat, i cannot improve myself by training, so i buy the ring because it's the only thing i can do to be stronger

crashNburn
[ Display Name History ]

crashNburn

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P

But when you start paying 5m for a ring that adds 14lp to your max hit, you do wonder about their sanity, or ability to work out what a sensible price is.

You realize that is a sensible price to quite a few players, right?

Edit: as for the OP's question, some people find it fun

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild

5m seems fair to me. *shrug*

DF_Thomas
[ Display Name History ]

DF_Thomas

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 27 posts
Are you just trying to sound rich? Even if you have 1bil that's a waste of 5mil still. Maybe you don't care about wasting it, but it's still a waste.

Posted Image

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RSN:Pere Grin

5m seems fair to me. *shrug*

Exactly, what else am I going to spend that money on anyway?

Edit @ Racheya under me

Yes, I don't think people should push efficiency onto other people.

But I will say that the Shadow Silk Hood is epic. I don't regret losing my prom pl8 for one.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Bernkastel
I have no problem with players being efficient, I have problems with those efficiency players pushing THEIR requirements onto other players. If I want to take my time Dungeoneering, and don't think that the Shadow Silk Hood is God's gift to Dungeoneering, doesn't make me bad at dung at all. I'd rather just ENJOY it.

Sometimes I do enjoy being efficient - but I always strive for a balance.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

crashNburn
[ Display Name History ]

crashNburn

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 513 posts

Are you just trying to sound rich? Even if you have 1bil that's a waste of 5mil still. Maybe you don't care about wasting it, but it's still a waste.

How? The ring provides more strength, it saves time, and will actually pay for itself after awhile.

I'd really like you to elaborate on how a zerker ring could possibly be a waste, especially in your theoretical situation when you have more than enough to afford it.

DF_Thomas
[ Display Name History ]

DF_Thomas

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 27 posts
It saves maybe 30 seconds on a task that would take an hour. It's that insignificant.

I do understand why people buy it. There's often not much else to buy.

But you're still being ripped off.

Posted Image

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
Like Bladewing said, efficiency and fun don't have to be mutually exclusive of one another. When I play a game, I like to get good at it. In Runescape, being good means being fast (read: efficient). The only skill that I don't train efficiently is Dungeoneering, but I blame Jagex for that (there are so many cool armors and items, yet we can only have two of them until level 100?).

Contrary to popular belief, the players who preach efficiency on these forums AREN'T sacrificing fun for it. I know xpx says that the best slayer block list is one that has tasks that you just don't like, even if they're technically good tasks. This is because people tend to be more efficient when they're having fun. Personally, I've chosen to bind two weapons in dungeoneering because just having a prom 2h and hood isn't fun for me, thus I'm more likely to train the skill if I have binds that I like (and training a skill is much more efficient than NOT training a skill if you need exp in it).

People who hate efficiency just don't understand it, I think. They're convinced that being efficient means spending hundreds of millions for minuscule boosts (like using Morrigan's and d stone/onyx bolts for solo Arma or something).

To the guy who said that a berserker ring is pointless, it only takes me an hour to make the money for one, and I can't raise my strength level any higher, so 4M seems like a bargain to me.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

NastyJenny
[ Display Name History ]

NastyJenny

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 165 posts
It is a game, not a job.

I'd still love being bit more efficcient just cant hit myself to do it lol.

16.5M slayer never used a cannon or piety meh
Posted Image

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to feel good about yourself and where you are in the game.
People on this site use it freely and without any basis to efficiency in the real world.
Efficiency in RS quite offen is used to mean using the most expensive means available to accomplish something.
This is quite dubious because making gp takes time and effort and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as not fun or useful. (of course aside for illicit methods)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc.
Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "l2be efficient".
Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "But your inefficient, learn to RS"

I am not RS efficient.
Nor would I want to be.
I play nonprofit minigames.
I don't go out of my way to make gp, so I save gp when possible.
I don't "invest" in the GE.
You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game.
Now watch the efficiency trolls line up quoting my post.
Its always the same clowns too... :shame:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts

what should i spend my money on then?

e: also, saving 30seconds an hour is, for players that can make 4m an hour, savings of 33k an hour; you would only need to use the ring for 120 hours for it to pay itself off (consider that it takes around 300 hours to get 99 attack/str/def training at max speed). you also disregard that you can resell the ring for virtually no loss. you also disregard that hitting high is sweet :shades:

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to feel good about yourself and where you are in the game.
People on this site use it freely and without any basis to efficiency in the real world.
Efficiency in RS quite offen is used to mean using the most expensive means available to accomplish something.
This is quite dubious because making gp takes time and effort and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as not fun or useful. (of course aside for illicit methods)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc.
Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "l2be efficient".
Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "But your inefficient, learn to RS"

I am not RS efficient.
Nor would I want to be.
I play nonprofit minigames.
I don't go out of my way to make gp, so I save gp when possible.
I don't "invest" in the GE.
You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game.
Now watch the efficiency trolls line up quoting my post.
Its always the same clowns too... :shame:

I laughed...so very very hard....thank you so much.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RSN:Pere Grin

It saves maybe 30 seconds on a task that would take an hour. It's that insignificant.

I do understand why people buy it. There's often not much else to buy.

But you're still being ripped off.

You are not being ripped off if you are happy with the price you paid for it.

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests
The minute you start playing the game the way someone else wants you to play it there's something seriously wrong. Make your own decisions, play your own game and enjoy it. I do and I've never given a stuff what anyone else thinks. Thats why I'm a happy player :thumbsup:

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

The minute you start playing the game the way someone else wants you to play it there's something seriously wrong. Make your own decisions, play your own game and enjoy it. I do and I've never given a stuff what anyone else thinks. Thats why I'm a happy player :thumbsup:

Indeed, I decided to play efficient. And I enjoy it very much. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

TheKoolKandy
[ Display Name History ]

TheKoolKandy

X-TET

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • RSN:Kandy
  • RSN2:DeKandyCakes
  • Clan:EoE

Indeed, I decided to play efficient. And I enjoy it very much. :thumbup:

I like being efficient to, not super efficient because I like to watch tv or browse tif, but I do use turmoil on tasks and cannon tasks etc. If I don't do my tasks fast I get very bored so I do find efficiency fun.

@whoever was saying zeker ring is a waste I don't agree, it is if you only have a 20m bank but not if you have 100m+ and don't have anything else to spend it on. I'd rather have 30 seconds off my task then have 4m in my bank collecting dust.

Slayer; it's just what I do.
Thanks Hugger 88 for the awesome siggy!

Click show if you want to see achievements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users