Efficiency

Michael

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These folks are right.

It's so much more fun to take 30 minutes longer a task when I don't use piety/super pots. You efficiency guys don't know what you're missing.

It'd just be [developmentally delayed]ed to not use super/extreme pots for slayer.

If you're not being efficient in your game play, you're doing it wrong.

Time is money, and you're essentially wasting your cash if you're just chitchatting in world 1 Lumbridge or something, and not actually training your skills.

Efficiency - that's what most of Runescape is all about. Without efficiency, good luck actually doing stuff in game...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Alright, you're all going on about how you like to be efficient or not, and I totally respect if people want to be efficient, I just want to have fun.

The real issue is when people start flaming people for not being efficient;

This is from the pictures thread; I've removed names for privacy.

Spot the glitch.

skirtglitch.png

The guy next to you is using torags at Desert Strykwyrms when he could be using desert robes. That's a glitch, or stupidy :P

The guy in torag's is the poster. Also, using desert robes is the stupidity. I've never facepalmed so hard.

Desert Strykwyrms barely hit even with low defensive armour, wearing torags is complete overkill. I can do a whole task in desert robes easily, which helps me because then I have to worry less about waterskins.

I use proslyte, since it allows me to use Turmoil freely. Use Lunars to not worry about skins.

This is where I think this efficiency-question goes too far. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? :mellow:

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really not very enjoyable.

I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I don't think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really all that much enjoyable.

Fun is subjective.

For some, maximizing xp/hr, gp/hr, or even xp/gp is fun.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I don't think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really all that much enjoyable.

Fun is subjective.

For some, maximizing xp/hr, gp/hr, or even xp/gp is fun.

Thats what i said fun is subjective but i also said that most people who think obsessively staring at a screen clicking away not wanting to blink because they might lose out on 15 xp that hour are not really have "fun" and if they stopped playing long enough to think about it they would realize that arnt really have fun. I can only guess these are the same players who literally run to the bathroom and run back to the pc when ever they have to use the bathroom because OMG if they take too long in the bathroom they are missing out on xp that should have been gained in that hour....or worse they bring a laptop in with them while they take a number 2.

Anti Efficiency isn't a problem. Efficiency is.

Your turn.

Well if you think about it, if you were actually efficient with a particular skill, you would save time. And that saved time, you can go do something else like another skill or talk or go outside or something.

In the end, pretty much everything favors efficiency over anti-efficiency. You don't got all the time in the world you know, especially if you're paying for something.

There is an exception however, and that's fun. But you can be efficient while still having fun, no?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Anti Efficiency isn't a problem. Efficiency is.

Your turn.

Well if you think about it, if you were actually efficient with a particular skill, you would save time. And that saved time, you can go do something else like another skill or talk or go outside or something.

In the end, pretty much everything favors efficiency over anti-efficiency. You don't got all the time in the world you know, especially if you're paying for something.

There is an exception however, and that's fun. But you can be efficient while still having fun, no?

You can be efficient while having fun, but you can't be efficient AT having fun.

What you're saying is that I should be really efficient, burn myself out, then go have fun. I'd much prefer to just go and have the fun in the first place. I'll worry about how efficient I'm being later.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

You can be efficient while having fun, but you can't be efficient AT having fun.

What you're saying is that I should be really efficient, burn myself out, then go have fun. I'd much prefer to just go and have the fun in the first place. I'll worry about how efficient I'm being later.

I'm not saying burn yourself out, I never implied that. In fact I don't like doing that to myself either :P

What I'm saying is, it's good to have fun, but being efficient can have better outcomes in the long run. The best setup would be to have a combination of both. After all, fun is what drives you into this game in the first place right?

I'm just glad dungeoneering is like that. I'm an efficient dunge dude (in f2p anyway), but dungeoneering is really fun for me too. I suppose a lot of people would agree on that, except for the dunge haters lol.

(Now I wonder how the top-end players manage to have fun doing their "pp while fletch while alch for 12 hours"... :blink: )

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Obviously you want to have fun.

So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

Hello clown #2, short time no argue over semantics eh?

MSN Encarta dictionary for you.

ef·fi·cien·cy [ i físh'nsee ] (plural ef·fi·cien·cies)

noun

Definition:

1. competence: the ability to do something well or achieve a desired result without wasted energy or effort.

emphasis on the highlighted words

Haha!

Never look at the last part of that sentence ever.

Bold the middle.

Bold the beginning.

Tell everybody efficiency means happiness.

Tell everybody that definitions of words are subjective.

Standardized english is cruel.

Make up new definitons of commonly used words.

But, for god's sake never acknowledge the last part of that sentence because you'll know your clueless. :lol:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Efficiency isn't really a problem, per-say. The problem is that people often get so wrapped up in their goals (and face it, we all do at some point), that they forget that their goals are THEIR goals, and not the goals of everyone else.

My friend likes to train slayer, he uses Bandos, Turmoil on most tasks, Defender, Cannon, and overloads. He likes to slay to get the most XP/Hr. I like to slay with Range, normally using Broad Bolts or Steel arrows, and don't bother potting/praying. Any time he talks about slayer to me he chastises me for training it the way I do.

The issue I have with Efficiency, is that the people assume that their goals are also everyone else's goals. My friend cannot understand why I train slayer the way I do, because the xp/hr is so un-efficient to him. I can't understand why he trains the way he does. I feel this thought goes along the same theme with everyone else on this forum, and this game.

People need to understand that their own personal goals, regardless if it is to play everything as fast as possible, or to have as much overall fun as possible; are just that, PERSONAL goals. I can't tell someone who likes to get 100k dungeon XP an hour that they are doing it wrong, but they shouldn't be telling me that I have to play that way either.

Both sides are guilty of starting the Efficiency debates on these forums, and it really needs to stop.

Efficiency isn't really a problem, per-say. The problem is that people often get so wrapped up in their goals (and face it, we all do at some point), that they forget that their goals are THEIR goals, and not the goals of everyone else.

My friend likes to train slayer, he uses Bandos, Turmoil on most tasks, Defender, Cannon, and overloads. He likes to slay to get the most XP/Hr. I like to slay with Range, normally using Broad Bolts or Steel arrows, and don't bother potting/praying. Any time he talks about slayer to me he chastises me for training it the way I do.

The issue I have with Efficiency, is that the people assume that their goals are also everyone else's goals. My friend cannot understand why I train slayer the way I do, because the xp/hr is so un-efficient to him. I can't understand why he trains the way he does. I feel this thought goes along the same theme with everyone else on this forum, and this game.

People need to understand that their own personal goals, regardless if it is to play everything as fast as possible, or to have as much overall fun as possible; are just that, PERSONAL goals. I can't tell someone who likes to get 100k dungeon XP an hour that they are doing it wrong, but they shouldn't be telling me that I have to play that way either.

Both sides are guilty of starting the Efficiency debates on these forums, and it really needs to stop.

Well said not everyone has the same mind set. I guess its hard for both sides of the argument to realize. (myself included on the play for fun side of things)

Obviously you want to have fun.

So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

Hello clown #2, short time no argue over semantics eh?

MSN Encarta dictionary for you.

ef·fi·cien·cy [ i físh'nsee ] (plural ef·fi·cien·cies)

noun

Definition:

1. competence: the ability to do something well or achieve a desired result without wasted energy or effort.

emphasis on the highlighted words

Haha!

Never look at the last part of that sentence ever.

Bold the middle.

Bold the beginning.

Tell everybody efficiency means happiness.

Tell everybody that definitions of words are subjective.

Standardized english is cruel.

Make up new definitons of commonly used words.

But, for god's sake never acknowledge the last part of that sentence because you'll know your clueless. :lol:

im sorry you find english cruel

but it seems efficiency is the ability to achieve a desired result without wasted energy or effort.

im not sure why you think "without wasted energy or effort" somehow prevents fun from being one possible "desired result"

go back to grade school, I'm tired of your trolling.

Naaxi.png

I will be efficient when I feel like it and unefficient when the best methods are painful to do. I find playing RS with 100% concentration to be unefficient to my life. I'd rather watch a movie on the side or chat with friends and lose a couple % in XP rates than grind away to the next lvl. Basically, I don't care if you are being efficient or not and I don't care if I'm being efficient or not at any given moment. I've played this game for 6 years and at this point I know what I like to do and what I would not do.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

I've been waiting for this topic and waiting to say almost this exact thing. You sir are my BFF now <3 bolded my main view and reason I don't refer anyone to ask for advice on TIF and just to find their favorite way to do it. Fun > efficiency cause lets face it, if we do everything efficiently to max out, wouldn't it be more of a chore to play than to play for fun?

Usually when people ask for Help and Advice, they're looking for the efficient way of doing it, you shouldn't need to ask for help on something fun #-o

^ why I said to 'find' something fun lol

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

I'm not saying burn yourself out, I never implied that. In fact I don't like doing that to myself either :P

What I'm saying is, it's good to have fun, but being efficient can have better outcomes in the long run. The best setup would be to have a combination of both. After all, fun is what drives you into this game in the first place right?

I'm just glad dungeoneering is like that. I'm an efficient dunge dude (in f2p anyway), but dungeoneering is really fun for me too. I suppose a lot of people would agree on that, except for the dunge haters lol.

(Now I wonder how the top-end players manage to have fun doing their "pp while fletch while alch for 12 hours"... :blink: )

I do think it's a good idea to be balanced. Sometimes you HAVE to grind and be efficient to get the levels for something fun you want to do. But I do think that it's important to put fun first, no matter what that fun may be. If being efficient is fun then go knock yourself out, but the problem comes when people push their own goals and methods onto others.

Ampharos put this nicely, I think.

I guess it's like how I ground RC on double xp weekend until it gave me a headache, because I wanted 77 RC to make blood runes. Doing that would mean I would be happy maging again in Dungeoneering, since I could make all the runes I needed. I enjoy maging very much and, even though it may be inefficient in Dg, I enjoy doing that far more than meleeing. Of course I don't like taking forever in things, but I like to not ALWAYS be in a huge rush.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'd like to be an objective third party; I dont play anymore, but that doesnt mean my opinion is invalid in any way.

From what Ive read on this thread, efficiency oriented people seem to be like most elitist groups, in that they laugh and smile to themselves that they are the best and above all others for their "Oh so efficient and result bearing gameplay".

THIS I dont understand. Why be elitist? "Inefficient people cant be on my team" are you saying that inefficient people are all like that one guy who hides keys and ragequits? not so I'm afraid.

Inefficency, and especially self confessed inefficiency doesnt equate to stupidity. The people posting here arent people who run around being a jackass in all things, they just arent people who spend 100% concentration on a game, especially one that doesnt require any real skill to play. And dont say that it does, because the only "skill" is the gameplay standards created by efficiency minded people who abuse timing and graphical ques to the point where others either conform or do something else. "Fun" in efficiency doesnt exist to a casual gamer, maxing out and micromanaging every click isnt a relaxing way to kill time.

That isnt to say that efficiency cant be fun. To each their own, honestly I dont care what you do either way. I am not pro anything, I dont play, I just dont understand the elitest behaviours of the pro-efficiency people on this thread. The non efficiency people started the thread with this in mind, they started by saying efficiency minded people think they are high and mighty, and the efficiency minded folk showed up to 100% support this point.

so good job? you've only proved you fall into your stereotype when asked, like an efficient little elitist drone.

Please dont take that as offensive, but seriously, if efficiency means attitude and elitist tendencies, then what fun are you making the game for anyone else? forcing others to conscribe to your ideology.

Down with the dogma that is efficiency if thats how all the efficiency minded players are. honestly I cant say Ive seen one person on this thread support efficiency and not scoff at the non-efficient players. Each one has tried to show how efficiency is "better". Its not. Its your way of playing, to your own ends. "better" is not quantifiable, because "better" exists only in the constructs of your own ideology. you view doing things fast as better, many people dont, many people enjoy the act, not the result.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

I'd like to be an objective third party; I dont play anymore, but that doesnt mean my opinion is invalid in any way.

From what Ive read on this thread, efficiency oriented people seem to be like most elitist groups, in that they laugh and smile to themselves that they are the best and above all others for their "Oh so efficient and result bearing gameplay".

THIS I dont understand. Why be elitist? "Inefficient people cant be on my team" are you saying that inefficient people are all like that one guy who hides keys and ragequits? not so I'm afraid.

Inefficency, and especially self confessed inefficiency doesnt equate to stupidity. The people posting here arent people who run around being a jackass in all things, they just arent people who spend 100% concentration on a game, especially one that doesnt require any real skill to play. And dont say that it does, because the only "skill" is the gameplay standards created by efficiency minded people who abuse timing and graphical ques to the point where others either conform or do something else. "Fun" in efficiency doesnt exist to a casual gamer, maxing out and micromanaging every click isnt a relaxing way to kill time.

That isnt to say that efficiency cant be fun. To each their own, honestly I dont care what you do either way. I am not pro anything, I dont play, I just dont understand the elitest behaviours of the pro-efficiency people on this thread. The non efficiency people started the thread with this in mind, they started by saying efficiency minded people think they are high and mighty, and the efficiency minded folk showed up to 100% support this point.

so good job? you've only proved you fall into your stereotype when asked, like an efficient little elitist drone.

Please dont take that as offensive, but seriously, if efficiency means attitude and elitist tendencies, then what fun are you making the game for anyone else? forcing others to conscribe to your ideology.

Down with the dogma that is efficiency if thats how all the efficiency minded players are. honestly I cant say Ive seen one person on this thread support efficiency and not scoff at the non-efficient players. Each one has tried to show how efficiency is "better". Its not. Its your way of playing, to your own ends. "better" is not quantifiable, because "better" exists only in the constructs of your own ideology. you view doing things fast as better, many people dont, many people enjoy the act, not the result.

Sure, efficient gamers tend to be elitist, but that doesn't make efficiency itself a bad thing.

it's like you say, efficient gamers tend to be mean.

But I don't understand why people stigmatize efficiency instead of the elitism

OMG TERRORISTS ARE ISLAMIC ISLAM MUST BE BAD I ARE ANTI ISLAM NAO

likewise, inefficient gamers tend to suck team play.

In a team, people work on what they're good at, or what they're better at than the rest of the team.

That's just what efficiency is. When you're asked to train with your best money maker, it's just the economy pushing you to do what you're better at than the rest of runescape.

Hell, the economy is even offering to PAY you for helping out the rest of runescape

People that don't understand that will never truly understand teamwork

but I mean sure, if you really don't want to do something, don't do it.

If I can't trust them to not waste their own time, I sure as hell am not going to trust them to not waste mine.

Naaxi.png

I am a big fan of efficiency.

For me it is fun to squeeze as much xp/h out of slayer that I possibly can. Now I am not gonna go and make money specifically for that but I will piety and extreme pot every task. Heck if I could squeeze just 5k more xp/h out of my current ability I would be even happier. :D

I do think that everybody should play the game they way they want to and not push their styles on others. Everybody should just enjoy themselves and for me personally getting max xp/h is a lot more fun than investing on G.E. or having 100M in my bank.

Purekilljoy.png

These folks are right.

It's so much more fun to take 30 minutes longer a task when I don't use piety/super pots. You efficiency guys don't know what you're missing.

I disagree, I find it more fun to use extremes and turmoil, and hit constant high numbers. Just because you don't find it fun, doesn't mean others don't.

FUN IS SUBJECTIVE!!!!

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I play RS for enjoyment/fun.

Ill use a cannon/piety in slayer so i have more time later to sit around at the Ge and do nothing/talk to friends which is enough for me :thumbup:

Play how you want to play.

If xp floats your boat, by all means go for 99 sailing :wink: