Efficiency

Michael

I feel this topic is somewhat related to the others being discussed on the boards.

On Topic; "Is efficiency laziness?"

Jrhairychest asserts yet again, that being efficient is actually a bad thing. I find it silly that anyone would actually consider DIY playing would be 'just fine' without justification. I'm sure you could play RS on your own, but would you really? Fact is, unless you're willing to sacrifice alot more time for your goals, it's not worth it.

"efficiency = laziness" looks like rationalization to me

It is. But it could be somewhat true. Although, it does require some defining of the words 'lazy' and 'efficiency'

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're truly hardcore about efficiency, you should just use a macro. :|

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could enjoy grinding in the most efficient manner all of the time in a game. It really takes the fun away.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

If you're truly hardcore about efficiency, you should just use a macro. :|

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could enjoy grinding in the most efficient manner all of the time in a game. It really takes the fun away.

opinion.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

wow this thread is very circular haha. reminds me of the crashing thread http://forum.tip.it/topic/273034-an-elitists-view-on-crashing/

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

For some reason, I feel bad when killstealing... but hey that's just me and my belief that everybody needs a chance to succeed.

In a sense though, it's more "efficient" because you won't have someone else constantly hogging your spawns.

This applies to skilling too. I HAVE to steal rocks when mining in the Dwarven Mine iron rocks because the competition is far too crazy.

Nechs in CT, I just fight anyway.

Wait so you're saying if someone is at Necs, say chinning or whatever, and you come in, you just start killing them instead of hoping? Yet you think others should hop if you were at a spot first?

rosssigfinal.jpg

Wait so you're saying if someone is at Necs, say chinning or whatever, and you come in, you just start killing them instead of hoping? Yet you think others should hop if you were at a spot first?

if you're talking about the efficiency of the economy as a whole, the less productive gamer should hop as he does less with his time that helps other players

Naaxi.png

For some reason, I feel bad when killstealing... but hey that's just me and my belief that everybody needs a chance to succeed.

In a sense though, it's more "efficient" because you won't have someone else constantly hogging your spawns.

This applies to skilling too. I HAVE to steal rocks when mining in the Dwarven Mine iron rocks because the competition is far too crazy.

I never said I hop. I only hop if 1.) I want to 2.) Its more efficient

The thing I don't get is when people try to crash me, when I'll always have the best gear. Even if the same gear as me, and we split kills, its slower for both.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

The thing I don't get is when people try to crash me, when I'll always have the best gear. Even if the same gear as me, and we split kills, its slower for both.

If you start killing nechs that I'm chinning/barraging, I'm not going to hop for you even if it's slower for both of us.

if you're talking about the efficiency of the economy as a whole, the less productive gamer should hop as he does less with his time that helps other players

And let arrogant [bleeps] run wild? No thanks.

Staurolite.png

If you start killing nechs that I'm chinning/barraging, I'm not going to hop for you even if it's slower for both of us.

And let arrogant [bleeps] run wild? No thanks.

That's the kind of attitude that will get you nowhere. Efficient players hop/crash because it saves time, you, however, still seem to think there is some kind of ownership to a training spot. Let me tell you: There isn't!

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

But when it comes to crashing a spot were it takes one or two hops...it just becomes arrogant.

The nechs are a perfect example. I honestly cant think of the last time I went the CT for them, and there was someone there. SO I can't imagine that on the rare chance there is someone already there, it would really be that much of a waste of time to spend 40 seconds to hop once.

For cases like GWD and other profitable areas were empty worlds simply don't exist at prime times, then I completely agree, because there literally is no better option. But if you crash a spot like CT nechs, then I think you're a complete arrogant ass. I personally don't like the "I'm better than you, I use the spot better, get out" excuse.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

But when it comes to crashing a spot were it takes one or two hops...it just becomes arrogant.

The nechs are a perfect example. I honestly cant think of the last time I went the CT for them, and there was someone there. SO I can't imagine that on the rare chance there is someone already there, it would really be that much of a waste of time to spend 40 seconds to hop once.

For cases like GWD and other profitable areas were empty worlds simply don't exist at prime times, then I completely agree, because there literally is no better option. But if you crash a spot like CT nechs, then I think you're a complete arrogant ass. I personally don't like the "I'm better than you, I use the spot better, get out" excuse.

Crashing = Efficient, and fun as hell. Doesn't break the rules, so what can you do?

How many full servers are there on a regular basis? 1? 2? so, who has the right to use those FULL servers(which are a must for the fastest xp)? some random level 120 who doesn't really need all the spawns, or some 138 with cr/ovl/turm/titan?

nechryeal aren't kalphites, They actually have a decent spawn rate and theres a lot of them. I can't clear a 1k pop world there unless i'm Barraging, since they all die at the same time then. There are a lot of places where max population isn't a must.

It's just my opinion that crashing those kinds of places is an ass move.

To answer your question, both have the same amount of right. The only deciding factor is if the one with higher stats is willing to exercise common courtesy for a few seconds lost.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

nechryeal aren't kalphites, They actually have a decent spawn rate and theres a lot of them. I can't clear a 1k pop world there unless i'm Barraging, since they all die at the same time then. There are a lot of places where max population isn't a must.

It's just my opinion that crashing those kinds of places is an ass move.

To answer your question, both have the same amount of right. The only deciding factor is if the one with higher stats is willing to exercise common courtesy for a few seconds lost.

So, who is the ass in this situation? The slayer who wants the max xp and it is efficient for him to crash or the newb who is abusing spawns that he doesn't need? In any case, there aren't enough spawns- if you want to slay efficiently, you always want the fastest spawn-rate, and there just aren't enough full servers to go around. Most of the people aren't crashing because they want to crash, but rather because there is not other choice- it'd be stupid to severely compromise your xp rates just to be nice to person x, when it's more than likely that that same person x will also crash you in nonmulty(even though he will compromise his own xp and it's not efficient). I've tried being nice, but when you get your head kicked in way too often, you have to do something about it.

But you don't need the fastest spawn worlds for everything. You don't need the fastest spawn worlds for nechryaels, theres enough of them in the room.

I can understand it when it actually is an issue, but when you say you actually are going to crash a place like nechryaels, then yes, I'm saying you're an ass for it.

The other person isn't be an ass just because they're in a populated world. They're just trying to play RS. The one who comes in and says "you're slow, hop worlds" is the one being the ass. 1 or 2k xp per hour less isn't going to kill someone. I don't care if you're looking for the absolute max xp/hour. In my opinion, it's still being an ass.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

But you don't need the fastest spawn worlds for everything. You don't need the fastest spawn worlds for nechryaels, theres enough of them in the room.

I can understand it when it actually is an issue, but when you say you actually are going to crash a place like nechryaels, then yes, I'm saying you're an ass for it.

The other person isn't be an ass just because they're in a populated world. They're just trying to play RS. The one who comes in and says "you're slow, hop worlds" is the one being the ass. 1 or 2k xp per hour less isn't going to kill someone. I don't care if you're looking for the absolute max xp/hour. In my opinion, it's still being an ass.

The world is full of [wagon], why are you so upset by the high lever crasher subset of [wagon]?

Ultimately a higher level crashing a lower level helps out more people than it hurts.

They could be an [wagon] in a way that hurts more people than it helps if you prefer.

I'm fine with most decisions that benefit the world as a whole.

I don't see the point in going into any further detail than that.

It stops being objective, and no meaningful conclusions can be drawn.

Naaxi.png

It's irrelevant how high or low the xp difference is, the fact is: There IS a difference, thus there is a reason why a higher leveled player should crash. He is not doing it to be an ass, rather because he is looking to save time. If crashing saves time and there are not enough high spawn servers to go around, and as there is absolutely no guarantee the same person wouldn't ever try to crash you, what's the point of being a dummy?

Really, i think you are confusing the cause and the reason here:

They are not crashing because they are an ass, rather they are an ass because they crash.(and this makes all the difference)

While a single maxed player could not clear the CT room of nechs (though he'd come close), it would only take one other player to severely compromise the experience. It doesn't really matter if a player can't a clear a room of any monster on his own in a full world, because it would only take one other player to ruin it for both of them. That's why crashing slayer spots on full worlds is often necessary.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

While a single maxed player could not clear the CT room of nechs (though he'd come close), it would only take one other player to severely compromise the experience. It doesn't really matter if a player can't a clear a room of any monster on his own in a full world, because it would only take one other player to ruin it for both of them. That's why crashing slayer spots on full worlds is often necessary.

What...? That just proves my point. If you can't clear a room of nechs, you don't need a Full world, so you can hop to the next one where someone isn't already there. If someone comes and joins you when you were already there, then fight for it. We're talking about someone joining you when you're already there, we're talking about YOU joining them, and making them move.

I know people to crash to be an ass....I just think it's an ass like move. I'm not confusing cause with reason. I know the reason, AND the cause. The reason is to get a few K more xp/hr, the cause is making someone else move.

They are not crashing because they are an ass, rather they are an ass because they crash.(and this makes all the difference)

Thanks for summarizing my posts.

I'm sorry if I don't agree with the ideal of making other people's experience less enjoyable when possible for the sake of my own gain. Regardless of the reason, I still think you're an Ass when you crash were it isn't needed.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

What...? That just proves my point. If you can't clear a room of nechs, you don't need a Full world, so you can hop to the next one where someone isn't already there. If someone comes and joins you when you were already there, then fight for it. We're talking about someone joining you when you're already there, we're talking about YOU joining them, and making them move.

I know people to crash to be an ass....I just think it's an ass like move. I'm not confusing cause with reason. I know the reason, AND the cause. The reason is to get a few K more xp/hr, the cause is making someone else move.

It's better exp/h for them to spawn faster so that you don't have to run around the room chasing them, hence why full worlds are better. And like I said, a single maxed player can ALMOST clear the room. On a 1k pop world, one could easily clear the room. I really can't think of a case where a low population world is actually more than or equally beneficial to a slayer (except for DKs on task or something like that).

EDIT: As an aside, I have personally almost never run into a player at CT nechs on a full world who wasn't maxed or very near maxed. I always hop for those players, because it would be VERY detrimental to both of us if I tried to fight for the world.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Most high levels crash because its efficient. Most low levels seem to think high levels crash to be a jack ass. Every time @ DKS I see another level 135+, I'll hop, since no point in splitting kills. Very few of them try to crash me (And none have ever crashed me) for the same reason. However, low levels think we do it to be mean. Oh well.

Personally, I believe my "dedication" getting better gear/stats/techniques gives me more of a right to be there then the others "first come first serve". Not to mention, since its within the rules, I could do it anyway.

Not to mention, I need a higher pop world, they don't. Already I have too many instances where I have all 3 kings killed, and overload is just wasting.

And you don't have to like, or agree, with me. But you also can't stop me.

Stonewall337.png

Thanks for summarizing my posts.

I'm sorry if I don't agree with the ideal of making other people's experience less enjoyable when possible for the sake of my own gain. Regardless of the reason, I still think you're an Ass when you crash were it isn't needed.

I'm not denying that you are being an ass if you crash, rather that it's justified if it saves time(and there are alot of situations where it doesn't) and the fact that there is no guarantee the person will not do the same to you. If i get guaranteed not to be crashed while training slayer(both nonmulty and multy) i'd never want to crash anyone, but since everyone is being an ass anyway(and particularly the low levels in nonmulty), why bother.