Columbus Day in the United States

Vulxai

Columbus Day. A nationally recognized holiday celebrating that man who discovered America! Oh wait, does that make sense to any of you? How can you discover a place that's already inhabited? Does that mean I can go to New York City and discover that as well? The indigenous people were already here when Columbus came. Columbus committed heinous crimes against the indigenous. He was looking for a short-cut to India, not looking for a new world. He didn't find either one. So why is this man so revered in textbooks and most states? South Dakota recognizes Native American Day, not Columbus Day. I have a link in my signature to a site dedicated to a petition for a nationally recognized holiday, if you're interested (please take this out if it's not allowed).

What are your feelings towards Columbus Day? Why do you or don't you agree with changing Columbus Day?

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from your user title thing I'm guessing you're Native American. Lakota? Never mind its in your sig lol

I share the same views as you I'm going to assume. I'll hop in on this when there's more to debate.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I get a day out of school. Just don't question it.

Ha, that's how I was before I graduated. However, be it Native American Day or Columbus Day, you'd still get the day off, so there's no harm in questioning, right?

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

And with this kind of ignorance you know why we have that day. To be honest, there's a lot worthier people to give a day to. Colombus was not the brightest or even successful in what he did.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

And with this kind of ignorance you know why we have that day. To be honest, there's a lot more worthier people to give a day to. Colombus was not the brightest or even successful in what he did.

I don't get the day off. But I really only cared for Columbus day cause it's on my birthday =)

Ha, that's how I was before I graduated. However, be it Native American Day or Columbus Day, you'd still get the day off, so there's no harm in questioning, right?

Entitled bastards :(((( (I kid <3)

I don't get school off, so I'm just skipping.

I think it's a pointless holiday. Was it not Amerigo who discovered America? Albeit Columbus may have started the socio-cultural fetish, but it was Amerigo... right?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I think it's a pointless holiday. Was it not Amerigo who discovered America? Albeit Columbus may have started the socio-cultural fetish, but it was Amerigo... right?

The Native American people were already here before any of the Italian explorer's got here, so none of them discovered it.

It was the people that crossed over the Russian-Alaskan land bridge during the ice age that discovered it.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

It was the people that crossed over the Russian-Alaskan land bridge during the ice age that discovered it.

Some people say the first people were the Clovis people. Now, how much truth that actually holds, I'm not certain, but that's the popular theory going around.

I have to say i agree with Vulxai, in Utah we barely ever celebrate it, state employees get one day off of work but no one in schools does anymore. I think it is a horrible thing to give a holiday to someone who discovered a new land for the exploitation of its people by the Spanish empire and that we really do need to recognize native americans instead of the Europeans who destroyed their civilization. On another note, people who are so "righteously" against illegal immigrants should realize that what Europeans did was the exact same thing and yet we don't punish ourselves for coming to a new country and trying to survive.

Marksman0010.png

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

-- Voltaire

Some people say the first people were the Clovis people. Now, how much truth that actually holds, I'm not certain, but that's the popular theory going around.

I think they used the Bering Strait as well. So they are the people I was talking about.

I think they used the Bering Strait as well. So they are the people I was talking about.

I was just adding information to your post, I knew who you were talking about.

Ugh, what's done is done, and I would hardly blame Columbus for anything compared to say, Cortez, European aristocrats, and the US Calvary.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Well I think for the most part without Columbus's contribution to history, America wouldn't look anything like it does today despite your views on who inhibited the land first.

Columbus wasn't the only explorer here, there were many others, so it still could have wound up like this.

Well I think for the most part without Columbus's contribution to history, America wouldn't look anything like it does today despite your views on who inhibited the land first.

But was it a positive or a negative contribution from Columbus?

Columbus wasn't the only explorer here, there were many others, so it still could have wound up like this.

Very true but Columbus acted voyage was more of a representative of Spain where as those before him acted more independently from European rulership.

But was it a positive or a negative contribution from Columbus?

He discovered the Bahamas, it's lush resources, blah blah blah.. Without columbus there probably would not have been the same desire from European countries to inhabit the new world.

tFtfA.jpg

He discovered the Bahamas, it's lush resources, blah blah blah.. Without columbus there probably would not have been the same desire from European countries to inhabit the new world.

But is that a good or bad thing? :blink:

No, Amerigo wasn't even a captain of a ship. He was just some random guy on another person's ship (that also wasn't the first ship to go to the Americas). I never got why the continents were named after him.

But yeah the discovery of America wasn't exactly a good thing for Native Americans.

Well presumably without his discovery the world today wouldn't be the exact same way it is now so yes it was a good thing. Even if he gets more credit then he deserves.

How do you think it would be?

Well presumably without his discovery the world today wouldn't be the exact same way it is now so yes it was a good thing. Even if he gets more credit then he deserves.

Well there's no way to tell if the world would have been better without that voyage. However, you can't really think he was the ONLY one who would have made that trip. There's always radicals, he just happened to be that guy who took the first step, I'm almost positive someone else would have had Columbus not. And the point remains, what did he do to deserve a nationally recognized holiday? He didn't discover anything, he didn't do the Native's any good, what did he do to deserve a day? Got confused, ended up in the wrong place, committed heinous crimes?

The Native American people were already here before any of the Italian explorer's got here, so none of them discovered it.

Nope.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge