Combat triangle discussion

iiLy

Which of the three combat styles do you believe to be the Best, most fun, most rewarding, most awesome. Personally I hate range and love the other two styles. I think range is slower at low levels then the other two and is overpriced. This has probably been discussed a million times but I dont see an active thread about this topic so im going to reopen it for discussion. Please refrain from flaming, I realize that some people might offend others, but this is a purely opinion discussion so dont get so flared up if someone thinks that mage is boring and that melee is the [cabbage].

Summoning doesn't count as a combat style

no flaming

Begin...

:twisted:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summoning counts.

It trains combat, your familiars train your combat stats, there's a familiar pray, we have summoning pures, summoning raises your combat level.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

the whole point of a combat triangle is a rock - paper - scissors kind of thing (lack of better words). Sure maybe summoning has certain familiars that are better against rangers and magers etc. It still does not effect one of the styles more then the others as a whole. So no it doesn't count as a combat skill in my opinion.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

the whole point of a combat triangle is a rock - paper - scissors kind of thing (lack of better words). Sure maybe summoning has certain familiars that are better against rangers and magers etc. It still does not effect one of the styles more then the others as a whole. So no it doesn't count as a combat skill in my opinion.

Never once in your original post did you say it had to be BETTER than another specific type of style to be CONSIDERED a style.

Main Account - Max cape achieved 10th September 2011
Noob Account - 2300 total and climbing 

6CCmn.jpg

Never once in your original post did you say it had to be BETTER than another specific type of style to be CONSIDERED a style.

the name of the post is combat triangle discussion :mellow:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Considering summoning pures exist, summoning is a combat style.

Personally, I like mage the most - sadly, in most situations, melee > range/mage. In fact, in general usefulness Melee > Range > Mage; at least outside PVP. (What's good in PVP in a whole discussion in itself... with people saying mage is overpowered and underpowered at the same time.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

But familiars use one of the existing combat styles to attack, therefore without melee, magic, or ranged, summoning could not stand alone. And its irrelevant anyway, because anyone can beat a familiar equal to their level.

Personally, I like mage the most - sadly, in most situations, melee > range/mage. In fact, in general usefulness Melee > Range > Mage; at least outside PVP. (What's good in PVP in a whole discussion in itself... with people saying mage is overpowered and underpowered at the same time.)

There is also prayer pures, should that be considered a combat style. Good point about PvP combat and non PvP combat, I completely agree.

And lol If summoning is now a full fledged Combat style then what is it now the combat square :huh:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

For pvp: Magic, by very very far. Why:

-- Totally controls a battle

-- Most accurate, even against high magic defense

-- Blood barrage

-- Miasmic barrage

-- Veng is crucial for KO's

-- Ice barrage is the single most important aspect of pvp. With it you can set up situations where your opponent basically cannot hit you at all, or you can heal up to max whenever you want.

-- A good mage can even beat a ranger, and without much difficulty

If you disagree, please fight me. I will show you exactly how powerful magic is.

A good mager using only magic could easily beat a person using any other single combat style.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

But familiars use one of the existing combat styles to attack, therefore without melee, magic, or ranged, summoning could not stand alone. And its irrelevant anyway, because anyone can beat a familiar equal to their level.

Steel titans are MUCH higher then your level. With max summon (and probably def and con) it could be deadly.

I can't see prayer pures as a style because all they could do is Deflect you to death, IF they somehow beat the curses quest, which I find incredibly unlikely.

@ Ancient....

A fight between you and me wouldn't prove magic is superior. For one, I fail at PVP. Two, I'd probably use magic as well XD

I want an arcane stream and wolpe....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

-- Blood barrage

-- Miasmic barrage

-- Ice barrage is the single most important aspect of pvp. With it you can set up situations where your opponent basically cannot hit you at all, or you can heal up to max whenever you want.

If you disagree, please fight me. I will show you exactly how powerful magic is.

I would semi agree, A melee fighter can use protect from magic, while a mage can use protect from melee, BUT a melee fighter can also pack a good ranger set in his/her inventory, while a mage would not have enough food if he filled his iny with full melee gear and runes and food.

(edit) oh yeah thats right there is something called a beast of burden these days #-o

salamanders ftw.....

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Melee

Melee

Melee

Magic

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

errr... What's good in PVM isnt a discussion at all -> melee is the strongest whereever you can use it, period.

So lets DO discuss PVP!

I like all the combat styles, but favour magic the most.

I simply love how i am able to dominate more than 1 opponent at a time (melee cant, ranged got chins; which compared to ice barrage is bronze 2h compared to chaotic maul)

All damage boosters, and i currently have them all, increses the max hit to ~500

Magic can, with ice barrage, give a constant, reliable freeze - movement control

+, the way i see it, magic (and d/zammy spears) are the only way to use actual tactics in combat

then again, magic also got some serious flaws so: hybridding/tribridding FTW!

Boeg.png

-- Blood barrage

-- Miasmic barrage

I would semi agree, A melee fighter can use protect from magic, while a mage can use protect from melee, BUT a melee fighter can also pack a good ranger set in his/her inventory, while a mage would not have enough food if he filled his iny with full melee gear and runes and food.

(edit) oh yeah thats right there is something called a beast of burden these days #-o

salamanders ftw.....

Doesn't matter. You can carry a full inventory of brews. Even a yak full of brews. Thanks to soul split, if you don't know how to hybrid, I can beat you without food (assuming I also have melee gear, or tribrid gear). I've done this against several level 138's using a full inventory of brews.

Actually, even if you're a perfect range/melee hybrid, I can still beat you with less food than you. Magic is just that powerful.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

-- Blood barrage

-- Miasmic barrage

salamanders ftw.....

Doesn't matter. You can carry a full inventory of brews. Thanks to soul split, if you don't know how to hybrid, I can beat you without food. I've done this against level 138's using a full inventory of brews.

Not to mention blood spells....

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Melee is often seen as the "superior" skill due to the fact it is easy to train, cheap, and high damage potential. Because of this it is often favored with quests and other rewards, but I can understand why it is.

Range is my personal favorite, although I feel range is often lacking in areas of variety, that other skills pick up on. If you range, you use a Bow & Arrows or a Crossbow. Items like Jav's or throwing axes could have much more potential than Jagex gives them. One example I often used is that Jav's could have the ranged strength equal to bolts, but less accuracy. This would give a cheaper method of ranging low defense monsters with loss costly items but the same DPS.

Magic is quite powerful, and sometimes to powerful/weak in certain circumstances. Magic should be super powerful against melee only, and not range. The combination of dragonhide, ability to cast magic using a different class of weapon, and mismic spells mess up this balance preventing magic from ever being a solid combat on its own. It will either be to powerful or not powerful enough.

If I were head of Jagex, the things I would change with magic are:

1) Dragonhide swaps melee defense stats with Mystic armor.

2) Mages MUST wear a staff to cast magic. (You cant range without a bow?).

3) Miasmic spells will reduce melee speed 100% of the time and not effect range.

4) Magic spells will become less accuate vs ranged armor.

5) Magic staves lose all their melee bonues, and gain magic accuracy bonuses.

6) All holding spells would be increased by +10 seconds.

7) Range of magic hit area is reduced to that of a shortbow on longrange.

9) All magic potions now boost up to +1% damage per level, (boosting up to level 120).

10) Negative magic levels also decrease your damage by 1% per level, (1/99 magic would be a 98% damage reduction) See #11.

11) Magic spells are dependant of your base level, not current level. Once you reach 94 magic you can always cast ice barrage. 1/99 magic will simply make ice barrage hit 98% less.

12) Combat Spells must be manually "assigned" to a staff, and all combat spells are removed from the spellbooks. You simply have to equip a staff and it will start using the spell you assigned to it. If you want to use two or more spells, you can carry more staves. This is no different than a meleer wanting to use a 2nd weapon for special attacks.

my experience with pvp magic as a range tank is either one of two things.

1. maxed trybrid or hybrid who I should most likley dbow spec and run or die to

2. you don't use magic other than vengence

really in pvp the only people who use magic are experienced people because to pk well with it you normally need to have very high priced gear or stats (arcstream, sol, wolper, arcane ss). Even the price of using magic rune wise is still high.

I just never seem to come across an inexperienced mage, so much so that I would rather fight to my cb triangle disavantage (melee) then fight a mage.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

Magic all the way.

Cstaff + stream + ext mage + castlewars brace/fsh/fero ring = epic damage.

A long-term RS goal of mine is getting a wolple (90 summon now - scroll gives same boost as extreme mage) Cstaff, stream (few more levels), as well as FSH and fero ring, and max magic damage in Kuradels Dungeon.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Magic all the way.

A long-term RS goal of mine is getting a wolple (90 summon now - scroll gives same boost as extreme mage) Cstaff, stream (few more levels), as well as FSH and fero ring, and max magic damage in Kuradels Dungeon.

Why not ice strykes? ;)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Magic all the way.

Why not ice strykes? ;)

Idk. Probably because 93 slayer seems way to far out of range for me. And I guess with Kuradels dungeon, your on more of an "equal ground" with melee - Ice Strykes take double damage from fire spells, no?

Mostly because 93 slayer is too far off for me >_>

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Most fun: magic

Most convenient: melee

Best DPS: melee

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png