Limewire shut down

Sam

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

limewire was good for individual songs

downloading for personal use is legal in canada, mmkay. for now at least

I live in Canada and wasn't aware of that.

limewire was good for individual songs

downloading for personal use is legal in canada, mmkay. for now at least

I live in Canada and wasn't aware of that.

Downloading is legal, uploading isn't. It's something to do with a levy in all blank media sales.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

I thought downloading and uploading were both illegal but they were only going after the people that upload?

Downloading is legal in Canada but only audio recordings for personal use (you must own the original though); doing so by p2p software is illegal because it uploads the files. Bill C-32 and ACTA could make it illegal, in C-32 if there is a DRM on the media then it is illegal to bypass it, it also would introduce a max fine of $5000 for non-commercial infringers. This blog will give much more information.

I thought downloading and uploading were both illegal but they were only going after the people that upload?

Downloading is legal in Canada but only audio recordings for personal use (you must own the original though); doing so by p2p software is illegal because it uploads the files. Bill C-32 and ACTA could make it illegal, in C-32 if there is a DRM on the media then it is illegal to bypass it, it also would introduce a max fine of $5000 for non-commercial infringers. This blog will give much more information.

Whether or not it is enforced though, is an entirely different story.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

You have to remember, the digital industry is the only of its kind. All other products you have to create each item from stretch every time you finish one. To make a car, you need, say, 500 pounds of iron. So if you want to make 100 cars, you'll need 50,000 pounds of iron. Digital items, you only need 500 pounds of iron then copy+paste it as many times as you want.

Just a little to think about; Justin Bieber doesn't sing his song 6 million times to sell 6 million records. He sings it once.

So, in a way, they're also "cheating" the system. But, it makes sense. But its technically not fair either.

--

Any problems with what I wrote? I'm not taking a side, I just want to make it sound reasonable.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Bah. I hate things like Limewire. The internet shouldn't be a refuge for petty criminals.

To be honest, I think the entirety of world government officials should try to shutdown those sites like the sites' users shut down those opposed to piracy. Because George Bush DDOSing 4chan would be hilarious.

Why does anyone pirate anything in the first place? Unless there's no other means to obtain something then it seems like it's simply laziness.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Why does anyone pirate anything in the first place? Unless there's no other means to obtain something then it seems like it's simply laziness.

Gee, I don't know, as a middle school or high school student with no money whatsoever and a strong urge to play/watch/listen media really gets to you, you know.

It's not hard to understand why people do it. The 'hard' part is justifying it.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Keeping this up even though he fixed it.

It's (not) hard to understand why people do it. The 'hard' part is justifying it.

This what you meant? :razz: Even if you're very anti-piracy, you can easily see why people do it. Free music, games, and films? Awesome. Free stuff that isn't easily available in your country? Even more awesome.

I could just use a fileshare site every time I wanted to get something. But if I get it soon anyways, and in a legal way, what's the matter? There are plenty of other things to do in the meantime, even for folks like me who only leave the house to visit friends and go to school. I seem to recall a saying along the lines of "the longer the fast, the better the meal," and to be honest hype before the purchase is half the fun of modern media.

I suppose teenagers like me don't always think things through, and wishing isn't going to do anything. The shortsightedness is just agitating for me, I guess.

EDIT: And Mask, as I said earlier, no means to obtain it then the company wouldn't really be getting the profit anyways.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

My opinions on this is the government is bailing out the music industry who refuses to change its [cabbage]ty business plan.

Theres plenty of options the music industry could take to stop pirating such as product keys, such as free music but a membership fee to get good stuff (kinda like runescape or WoW's approach)

There is a lot of solutions for a motivated business leader. The problem is, is that they can count on the government to waste public money to uphold their [cabbage]ty business strategies.

I laughed.

Assasians Creed's DRM (including server confirmation and about a hundred different codes) was broken in under.... 72 hours?

The hackers will always win: DRM just messes up the product for those that actually buy it.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

My opinions on this is the government is bailing out the music industry who refuses to change its [cabbage]ty business plan.

Theres plenty of options the music industry could take to stop pirating such as product keys, such as free music but a membership fee to get good stuff (kinda like runescape or WoW's approach)

There is a lot of solutions for a motivated business leader. The problem is, is that they can count on the government to waste public money to uphold their [cabbage]ty business strategies.

I laughed.

Assasians Creed's DRM (including server confirmation and about a hundred different codes) was broken in under.... 72 hours?

The hackers will always win: DRM just messes up the product for those that actually buy it.

Regardless if I was a developer of a game I would need to accept that plenty of people may find a way to illegally download my game, however if they like my game a lot they might be inclined to purchase additional content or other benefits for a fee.

I have no idea how the music industry can implement this but then again I am not getting paid to think of such an idea :shades:

My point is to rely on the government to uphold your business plan is lazy and a waste of public money

Oh, I absolutely agree: I'm just saying that DRM is an idiotic way to go about doing it.

Creating a sense of connection (as fluffy as that might sound) might help: I buy stuff from a local gaming store (sometimes at twice the cost) because I want to support them, and I know that they're not ripping me off: they simply don't get the same deals as Amazon or Chapters does. I would suggest a webpage where it will list all artists, and then tell you how much money they lose when you pirate a song/album: it could even scan your collection, and tell you how much you've stolen.

In theory a DRM-free game should give consumers less incentive to download it illegally, but its also easier to share. We cant look inside the minds of CD Projekts bosses but its not totally inconceivable that they secretly hope that many people will pirate their games. After all, the pay-up-or-else schemes are more profitable than actually selling games

Link

Bah. I hate things like Limewire. The internet shouldn't be a refuge for petty criminals.

To be honest, I think the entirety of world government officials should try to shutdown those sites like the sites' users shut down those opposed to piracy. Because George Bush DDOSing 4chan would be hilarious.

So what you're saying is that you support internet censorship?

I laughed.

It was broken in under 24 hours.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

No, Furah, I was just laughing at how ridiculous people would consider it if it was decided to fight fire with fire on equal grounds. I have nothing against free speech.

Though I do wish people wouldn't use the anonymity of the internet to perform illegal activities.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Don't you mean doing something in a way that you like? If I read your statement correctly, you totally contradicted yourself. There is a difference between censoring the internet (what N korea (does it even have internet) and China do) and policing it's citizens and how they use the internet. You are the user of the internet, you are performing and illegal activity. The internet is your tool, but you are the one committing a crime.

Sorry, but Any pirate who tries to take a moral high ground is just lying to themselves and the rest of us. You do it because it's the easy way. Do not try and justify it. I do it, but I can accept it for what it is.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

The music industry isn't a service. It is an industry. It isn't there to make your life easier unless it benefits the industry. An industry will do whatever it can to stay afloat and keep its profits. The government in turn gets money from taxes so wants to help keep said industry alive.

The thing wrong with giving away millions of free copies of somebody elses work is that it is against the law. That person has worked to get to a stage where their music is wanted by people, but because there is this 'easy' way to get hold of it, they cannot sell it in the proper means.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Naturally, nobody is going to bring up how it hurts artists themselves, who also lose money in this whole piracy thing. Evil corporations are much easier to attack.

Though it isn't unheard of for pro-piracy guys to say "eh, their music sucks anyway" or "SELLOUTS!" when a band is publicly anti-piracy. Metallica, anyone?

Doesn't stop people from downloading them, of course, and I only bring it up because if a band is okay with piracy their statement will be used to justify it.

You have to convince people first that a downloaded file counts as a lost sale, or else that argument is bunk.

The distribution of the file costs them absolutely nothing, but since nobody is paying for it they're losing potential dollars. Personally, I think music costs far too much currently, and I'd actually buy it if it cost around $0.49 or so per song.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

You have to convince people first that a downloaded file counts as a lost sale, or else that argument is bunk.

I agree. I buy my music, wich makes it extremely rare that I get new music, so before buying it, I will most likely go to a website like youtube to see, then download the album to see if it's worth buying. If I like the album, I buy it, but if I don't know I'm not even going to linsten to it, so doesn't matter if I delete or not. Btw mainstream music is not the kind of music I listen to, so the bands I listen to only get new albums every other year.

With me their lost sale is if I don't have the chance to listen to the album first, since I won't know if it's actually mostly good.

The distribution of the file costs them absolutely nothing, but since nobody is paying for it they're losing potential dollars. Personally, I think music costs far too much currently, and I'd actually buy it if it cost around $0.49 or so per song.

True.

That being said I download about 6 albums or so a month. I don't have the ability to pay for all of it.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge