Limewire shut down

Sam

I'm going to say that again. There are 4 people:

a) one who knows how to pirate and does it.

b) one who knows but doesn't want to.

c) one who doesn't know, but would if he could.

d) one who doesn't know and doesn't want to.

a makes it possible for c and d to pirate through arguing the ethics of it and explaining how it works. More and more people join the ranks of a. This causes b to join a, because everyone's doing it and it seems okay, after all. There are now 4 a-type people. They'll go on to make it easy for other b/c/d-types to download. Less and less people will be buying, so piracy's advertising benefits on the music industry will be replaced by losses.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which in turn may make prices rise due to losing sales, which in turn makes more of a.

I personally pirate, I will not deny it, I do however know it is wrong. If it was taken away I would not rant or rage, I would buy things instead. My reason for pirating is the ease of it. I could go down to a rental shop and get a Movie for cheap, but It is easier and in human nature (my nature) to go for the easy option. I do, as I say, know it is wrong but because the consequences are currently so minute, they outweigh the small benefits it has. I will still argue against Pirating though and know there is no moral high ground to stand on in favour of pirating.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I'm going to say that again. There are 4 people:

a) one who knows how to pirate and does it.

b) one who knows but doesn't want to.

c) one who doesn't know, but would if he could.

d) one who doesn't know and doesn't want to.

a makes it possible for c and d to pirate through arguing the ethics of it and explaining how it works. More and more people join the ranks of a. This causes b to join a, because everyone's doing it and it seems okay, after all. There are now 4 a-type people. They'll go on to make it easy for other b/c/d-types to download. Less and less people will be buying, so piracy's advertising benefits on the music industry will be replaced by losses.

There are still people like me. I'm a b, but used to be an a. I used to download when I was a student and didn't have money, but now that I'm out of college and have a job, I can actually afford my music. Which is why I prefer staying on the legal side and not download illegally. I will often argue against pirating, but I just can't be bothered to do it on the internet like here because it's not going to end up at something.

I don't want to but I can't afford everything I want. Also when purchasing it hardly ever is as good of an experience as I get from torrents. If I want to burn the music to a CD I can, or put it in my iTunes for my iPod, or stream it to my PS3, or put it on my laptop and bring it to DJ a party, or remote to media server from work and play it there. Can use any program I want, can change it to any format I want, can keep the original lossless rip on a backup drive and make a 320kbps mp3 for my iPod.

I'm sure I could do some of that having bought the music from amazon or iTunes, with downloading you just never have to worry about it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

There are still people like me. I'm a b, but used to be an a. I used to download when I was a student and didn't have money, but now that I'm out of college and have a job, I can actually afford my music. Which is why I prefer staying on the legal side and not download illegally. I will often argue against pirating, but I just can't be bothered to do it on the internet like here because it's not going to end up at something.

I think record labels receive too much money; artists make next to no money from sales. I'm not going to fund further exploits, that's fore sure... This whole piracy thing will cause a reorganization of the music industry centered on artists, not labels. I'm down for that.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

• 2 weeks later...

I never use Limewire so this doesn't affect me. It's also pretty much a virusfest so yeah... not much effects on piracy :\

I don't pirate as a) I'm too lazy to download, b) you never know if it might have a virus, and c) stores nearby my place sell em for cheap anyway.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I never used limewire, so it won't effect me.

Do you use any p2p sharing? Then it will affect you.

It won't at all unless you use limewire.

Why do you think they'd stop at just Limewire? And what makes you think now that with this ruling against Limewire under their belt they won't come after, say, Demonoid, which requires people to seed.

It affects everyone who uses P2P sharing, legal or not, and it's gonna bite us all in the ass one way or another.

hzvjpwS.gif

I never used limewire, so it won't effect me.

Do you use any p2p sharing? Then it will affect you.

It won't at all unless you use limewire.

Why do you think they'd stop at just Limewire? And what makes you think now that with this ruling against Limewire under their belt they won't come after, say, Demonoid, which requires people to seed.

It affects everyone who uses P2P sharing, legal or not, and it's gonna bite us all in the ass one way or another.

No it doesn't. They've been going after indexing sites for ages now. Having taken down one site that hosts a gnutella program isn't going to change things for P2P.

Even if they managed to shut down every tracker or site which indexes .torrent files, all that would happen is everyone would switch to DHT and move to the ways that they can't easily shut down. Not to mention people are constantly archiving .torrent files.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

No it doesn't. They've been going after indexing sites for ages now. Having taken down one site that hosts a gnutella program isn't going to change things for P2P.

Even if they managed to shut down every tracker or site which indexes .torrent files, all that would happen is everyone would switch to DHT and move to the ways that they can't easily shut down. Not to mention people are constantly archiving .torrent files.

Every victory gives them more power and precedent to rush through court faster. I am not saying it's going to change distribution, but it will affect the ease of use p2p file sharing over time, especially since you're hearing about their 'victories' more and more often now. I'm not saying that this will be a deterrent or that the RIAA is right, but to say this will never affect the p2p sharing seems very short-sighted.

hzvjpwS.gif

Im sorry but I would not pay for something I can get for free, morals aside.

The only valid reason you have is b). As far as laziness goes an album would be 2-3 hours of work (at minimum wage depending on your state/country), and it takes what 10 minutes to download the program/songs?

That right there is why everyone pirates.

Well, I live in a place where they sell CD's and stuff like that for extremely cheap prices.

In terms of opportunity cost it's better to just buy the thing rather than spend a huge amount of time trying to figure out how in the world do you get this configured.

Also I never pirate games. Reason? They freeze, ALL THE FREAKING TIME. But I guess music is a different story...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

Im sorry but I would not pay for something I can get for free, morals aside.

The only valid reason you have is b). As far as laziness goes an album would be 2-3 hours of work (at minimum wage depending on your state/country), and it takes what 10 minutes to download the program/songs?

That right there is why everyone pirates.

Well, I live in a place where they sell CD's and stuff like that for extremely cheap prices.

In terms of opportunity cost it's better to just buy the thing rather than spend a huge amount of time trying to figure out how in the world do you get this configured.

Also I never pirate games. Reason? They freeze, ALL THE FREAKING TIME. But I guess music is a different story...

You sir, are obviously a terrible pirate. "how in the world you get this configured" literally takes 10 minutes to download the proper client, 2 minutes to install it, and every download there after album-wise usually takes all of 5 minutes. Games, while they take longer and sometimes don't function properly without a better understanding of sub-programing/batchfiles/virtual CD's, usually only take an hour or so to download, and work perfectly fine given your PC can handle it.

Also - cheap albums that are actually good are either mad old, or don't exist.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

You sir, are obviously a terrible pirate. "how in the world you get this configured" literally takes 10 minutes to download the proper client, 2 minutes to install it, and every download there after album-wise usually takes all of 5 minutes. Games, while they take longer and sometimes don't function properly without a better understanding of sub-programing/batchfiles/virtual CD's, usually only take an hour or so to download, and work perfectly fine given your PC can handle it.

I live in a place where literally everything is sold cheap... hence the opportunity cost.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

I live in a place where literally everything is sold cheap... hence the opportunity cost.

I'm not sure we're on the same page when referring to "opurtunity cost"

I sit at my computer for like 6 hours a day [not doing anything]. This 'costs' me sleep, as when something more important comes up, I go do it. During this time, I could be spending it [value of 0] I could be pirating music/games/programs [benefits of said objects]. So...I'm not losing anything. All economic aspects look black to me.

Also, if you were to go and buy the album, you'd be spending gas money to get to the store and back, money on the CD itself, and time getting to/frmo the store, uploading the data, converting the data, and standing in line purchasing said CD. What takes me 10minutes of time I would have spent doing/spending nothing, it sounds like you'd rather pay 15-20minutes & ~$10 for the same thing.

My time/money is more valuable to me I guess.

[...]would get new powers to go after foreign websites that sell counterfeit goods and pirated music, movies and books under a bill passed[...]

That looks like they can only take action against bootleggers and jerks that re-sell merchandise for their own gain.

So, we're still cool.

[...]would get new powers to go after foreign websites that sell counterfeit goods and pirated music, movies and books under a bill passed[...]

That looks like they can only take action against bootleggers and jerks that re-sell merchandise for their own gain.

So, we're still cool.

Demonoid has advertisements on its website, which means they're generating profit (regardless if it might be enough just to cover operating costs). So even though there isn't specifically a point-of-sale, it seems like the phrasing in this article is vague enough to go after even just sites like that.

hzvjpwS.gif

Pirate bay has been on DHT for almost a year now, and only serves as a place to find .torrent files.

You'd have to read the actual bill, but judging by the wording of the article, it specifically goes after those Chinese sites that sell knock off merchandise like fake handbags and burned movies.

Pirate bay has been on DHT for almost a year now, and only serves as a place to find .torrent files.

You'd have to read the actual bill, but judging by the wording of the article, it specifically goes after those Chinese sites that sell knock off merchandise like fake handbags and burned movies.

As lulzy as said knock-offs are...good riddance

The bill was formed to shut down sites like TPB and Demonoid, they don't really care about those Chinese sites. It shouldn't have power over either site as they aren't even in the U.S. They'll even be able to shut down Wikileaks. This is just a censorship bill under the guise of protecting a dying industry. It will also effectively destroy bittorrent, as I don't know of any indexing sites which they wouldn't shut down.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a completely new topic for this.

U.S. Government Seizes BitTorrent Search Engine Domain and More (via TorrentFreak)

They mostly seized domains associated with counterfeit merchandise, but they did snag torrent-finder.com in the dragnet.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours