Limewire shut down

Sam

Anti-piracy movement is like trying to kill a hydra. Swipe one head off, and two more will grow back. It's a lost fight from the start. But I guess money dictates everything now.

Exactly. The lawyers are having a hey-day over this anti-piracy crap and are raking in loads of money from it. I'm sure they won't mind at all if more sites and methods of sharing media arise.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Crap. I used limewire alot.... this could be a problem.

Not that I am endorsing piracy in any way - but really, there are better ways to obtain music.

You could even buy music - what's the point in pirating when you can get many CD's on Amazon for £4/£5?

when i was working, i bought music, i supported my fav bands. But some stuff i couldn't find on itunes. and there were other songs i liked but didn't care enough to pay for.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Less people getting viruses :thumbup:

There's a million ways to download music/anything off the internet, people will just move on.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I believe that you don't actually buy anything from ITunes: you license it, which is actually quite different.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/09/07/itunes-songs-arent-purchased-but-licensed-court-rules/

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

TBH I used limewire quite frequently for the last 5/6 months, and never experienced any of the problems people have mentioned such as viruses.

I found Limewire always easy to use, and as far as I know haven't recieved any viruses, and I only used because I needed to get about 300 songs, which would have killed me to buy >.<, although now I buy in smaller doses so the shutdown isn't too disastrous for me personally, but there are still plenty of other means of illegally downloading music, such as torrents and youtube converters :/

Rafftank.png

Stopped using it a long time ago. There's safer, yet free methods to get your stuff.

Blasphemy

We choose to go...not because [it is] easy, but because [it is] hard, because that goal will serve to measure and organize the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win. ~ Blasphemien Way

29ehbtt.png

"Rest In Peace, Muelmar - A True Modern Day Hero"

What the music industry needs to do is make songs free, and switch over to making their profits drirectly from concerts, t-shirts, etc. Or create an incentive to buy their overpriced music besides "the law"

Most of the bands I listen to don't tour in my area. That really just works for the bigger bands.

regardless the price of music is not worth what its at, and most of the money you spend on your favorite bands new album goes to the recording company and not your favorite band.

Like I said the music industry needs to create an incentive for people to buy their music. Having the band get 90% of the profits would be one, lowering the prices would be one, etc.

$1 for a song off Itunes. I can listen to that song as much as I want until I lose the file, which I can prevent pretty easily. The average album is around $10, of which the band gets something like $1.20 from what I've read. A physical CD goes for $15, and the band gets maybe $1.40. Not all of the rest goes to the big, evil corporation. Some goes to the people that worked on the album, and in the case of CDs, a chunk goes to the production of the actual physical copy.

There is no other incentive that they can create. You buy the music, you can listen to it as much as you want. If they made it cheaper, people would still pirate because "free" is cheaper, and chances are the bands themselves would still be worse off.

I'm okay with piracy so long as pirates don't try to say that they're taking the moral high ground. People pirate because it's free, not to take a stand against corporate corruption. If there were no corporations or corruption, people would still pirate.

Plus, people bootleg live shows too. That's how they did it before the digital era made it easier.

Not that I am endorsing piracy in any way - but really, there are better ways to obtain music.

You could even buy music - what's the point in pirating when you can get many CD's on Amazon for £4/£5?

How is spending money a good thing? :roll:

I stopped using Limewire right after watching this video.

I mostly listen to music on Youtube so it doesn't matter to me that much.

How is spending money a good thing? :roll:

Supporting the artists you like will help them stay in business.

I was a huge advocate of Limewire until the end of this summer when I finally gave into the Pirate Bay. I'll miss Limewire dearly, for its underground tracks and hilariously obvious trojan attacks. Made for good practice on manual anti-malware. Bon Voyage, my friend. I'll miss you, and in your honor I shall join the league of the Bay Pirates.

40oz rum solute 8-)

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Supporting the artists you like will help them stay in business.

Every time a band that I enjoy listening to comes to the Twin Cities, I'll go see them live. That's how I make up for some of the pirating I do.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I'm happy that crapware no longer exists. If you still want to get music that way people will have to use something that doesn't suck so much, like Frostwire ect... It's still a stupid way to share files though. Everything about torrents is better.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

As someone who worked in a computer repair shop, all I can say is about goddamn time. As soon as we see Limewire in the list of programs, we know that the problem is almost certainly a virus. We didn't care or mind if people pirated stuff, but we just told them to stop using possibly the worst way to pirate stuff ever.

Seriously, people should use a streaming service like Spotify. Beats downloading pirated music any day, and it really isn't expensive at all. It's the kind of service that the industry should be turning to, not individual album sales. If they don't, they'll just crumble.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Saw this coming years ago and yes, it sets a precedent. But you know, money will run out eventually.

Information should never be restricted.

Good thing music is a product, not information.

While I know what you're saying and have to force myself to agree, I really cannot stand the mentality of music as a product. I make music because I love doing it (and it's not to say that people who get paid for doing so don't love it as well) but imagining what I'm doing as something that's a "product" is very, very depressing.