The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Discussion Thread

sephiroth_king

So this woman behind the counter at the store today told me they won't be doing a midnight launch for Skyrim because it's not considered a big game?! Lmao, yet they consider Gears 3 big enough to hold one for. If only there weren't laws I would've decapitated that [bleep]! :blink:

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

So this woman behind the counter at the store today told me they won't be doing a midnight launch for Skyrim because it's not considered a big game?! Lmao, yet they consider Gears 3 big enough to hold one for. :blink:

Gears 3 IS a bigger game. Not saying I agree that Skyrim isn't big enough, and I personally don't care for Gears, but from a business point of view it makes sense.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

So this woman behind the counter at the store today told me they won't be doing a midnight launch for Skyrim because it's not considered a big game?! Lmao, yet they consider Gears 3 big enough to hold one for. :blink:

Gears 3 IS a bigger game. Not saying I agree that Skyrim isn't big enough, and I personally don't care for Gears, but from a business point of view it makes sense.

No it isn't lmfao, also Gears has a lot of direct competition, Skyrim has none.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Top 4 preorders as of September 17.

1 Gears of War 3 X360 1,962,073

2 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 1,175,494

3 Battlefield 3 671,759

4 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 483,683

From a business standpoint, Gears is MUCH bigger. Nearly 4 times bigger, actually.

Whether or not that's justified is a matter of opinion, I personally don't think so.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Skyrim -> PC, 360, PS3

Gears 3 -> 360

Gears 2 sales -> 6.12 million*

Oblivion sales -> 5.52 million on consoles total* and 1.7 million PC sales by April 2006.**

*From VGChartz

**From IGN article

The Elders Scrolls series and therefor Skyrim is bigger.

Comparing pre-orders numbers of a game that is about to come out to a game thats still a month and a half away is hardly fair.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

Skyrim -> PC, 360, PS3

Gears 3 -> 360

Gears 2 sales -> 6.12 million*

Oblivion sales -> 5.52 million on consoles total* and 1.7 million PC sales by April 2006.**

*From VGChartz

**From IGN article

The Elders Scrolls series and therefor Skyrim is bigger.

Comparing pre-orders numbers of a game that is about to come out to a game thats still a month and a half away is hardly fair.

If you can consider the size of the Elder Scrolls series then you can compare the size of the Gears series. The fact is that Gears is about as mainstream as it gets just makes it much more promising, even though Skyrim is still going to make serious bank and I would think that SOMEONE would be doing a midnight release for it...

I guess what I'm saying is that Gears, while more of a cash cow, I don't really understand how a store wouldn't do a MR for EVERY major release, especially with so many awesome ones on the way.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

If you can consider the size of the Elder Scrolls series then you can compare the size of the Gears series. The fact is that Gears is about as mainstream as it gets just makes it much more promising, even though Skyrim is still going to make serious bank and I would think that SOMEONE would be doing a midnight release for it...

I guess what I'm saying is that Gears, while more of a cash cow, I don't really understand how a store wouldn't do a MR for EVERY major release, especially with so many awesome ones on the way.

The fact is that the last Elders Scrolls game has sold more than the last Gears game. You can use meaningless terms as mainstream, but sales are sales. Gears 2 has sold less than Oblivion so there's no reason to believe that Gears 3 will sell more than Skyrim will.

The fact is that the last Elders Scrolls game has sold more than the last Gears game. You can use meaningless terms as mainstream, but sales are sales. Gears 2 has sold less than Oblivion so there's no reason to believe that Gears 3 will sell more than Skyrim will.

Oblivion has also been around for 2 years longer than Gears 2, it's had more time to sell.

But this is a rather silly argument. I don't think my store is doing a midnight release, but personally I don't care. I'll just pick it up after class on release day.

Oblivion has also been around for 2 years longer than Gears 2, it's had more time to sell.

But this is a rather silly argument. I don't think my store is doing a midnight release, but personally I don't care. I'll just pick it up after class on release day.

I agree, but I don't understand why they're not. Even before knowing which outsells which, both devs are going to be filling a swimming pool with cash. You'd think someone would want in either way.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Those extra two years will hardly warrant any extra. Oblivion came out in 2006. I think the sales in 2010 and 2011 will probably not even reach the 100,000. Which is a small number compared to the total sales.

He's talking about Steam, dizzle.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Midnight launch? Lol. I'll have the game pre-downloaded and ready to unlock at midnight ;p.

Can you get games early by lying about your timezone, or does it release for everyone at once?

Nah generally its just they set a certain time for it to unlock.

He's talking about Steam, dizzle.

^.

I think they aren't doing a midnight launch for Skyrim because it isn't a shooter; which is what most of the 13 year olds want :(

It's just that Shooters > RPG's now because of the likes of Call of Duty and Gears of War..

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I think they aren't doing a midnight launch for Skyrim because it isn't a shooter; which is what most of the 13 year olds want :(

It's just that Shooters > RPG's now because of the likes of Call of Duty and Gears of War..

Did you even read my posts?

Did you even read my posts?

Games like Gears and CoD ARE more mainstream than high fantasy RPGs though, regardless of sales. Or at least more hyped to the mainstream - I've been seeing Gears 3 commercials on TV for a while now. High fantasy RPGs are still considered nerdy, even if the TES series has a large fanbase. And Gears 3 had something like 5 times the preorders at the time of the post that started this little flame war.

Plus, you can probably assume that most of the fanbase is on the PC, and PC games are going digital. Does Steam do midnight releases? :razz:

And again with the meaningless term 'mainstream'. Oblivion sold more than Gears 2. That is all that matters.

Edit: Oblivion also had a couple of years on Gears, was on multiple consoles as well as PC, and was the first of its series on a new generation of consoles. There are way more factors here.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png