Godsword Discussion

swordb88

No, they are two different things. The only way in which I'm comparing at all is by saying that his/her outlook is flawed in both real life and in Runescape. However I am not making any comment on the relationship between real life and Runescape, just on the different applications and consequences of this persons outlook. Therefor I am not comparing real life and Runescape. Give me a quote where I do that please. Just because you pull up a definition doesn't mean squat if you lack the reading comprehension to adequately apply it to what I'm saying.

Protip: If you replace the "apply" in my last sentence with "compare" it doesn't keep the same meaning. You can't just say that words are synonyms when they are not.

The only way in which I'm comparing at all is by saying that his/her outlook is flawed in both real life and in Runescape.

Did you just admit to comparing? Holy moly guacamole

You don't need to comment on a comparison to actually make it a comparison. A comparison is a comparison when you put two objects (or statements or w/e) next to each other. And the fact that you're saying that he's flawed in both real life and Run Escape is not only unnecessary, but also confirms your comparison (by your own definition) - you're commenting on it.

Look, whatever, this is not what this topic is about, pm me if it's so important. Just don't flame unnecessarily. Also, "protip" is a lame meme.

My room smells, brb opening window

You're the one who started going off topic, so clearly it's important to you to make this public. I don't see why you didn't just PM me in the first place if sticking to the topic was what you wanted. It's a little lame to pull the mod card after derailing a topic for pages, wouldn't you say? In fact, explain how your original post was related to the topic at all.

Either way, my admission is not to what you originally asserted. Sure, I compare, duh, we all do, but not Runescape and real life like you originally said. Now, I've repeatedly asked you for a quote, you've repeatedly either misquoted me or drawn false conclusions, I think it's fair to say that your original comment was just trolling and now that you actually have to defend yourself you have nothing to do so with.

If you want to continue this feel free to PM me like you suggested.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly the opinion of someone who has never played Runescape before.

Nice counter argument bro.

You cannot talk about using the GS in any situation, then immediately redefine the situation as being only Saradomin GWD. I don't care about the GWD, because that's irrelevant to lower-middle level players who we've been discussing. Far from there being "no reason" why a player would own a ZGS if they don't plan on doing Sara GWD, there are literally thousands of reasons why a player may want to own the ZGS. Any combat training on any creature in the game (save the wildy) is fair game.

I said in any situation where you might need it. Meaning, where the special is actually usefull for something.

The only place I can recall the special being useful is in SGW, and, like you said, that is irrelevant to lower-middle level players, but feel free to provide more examples.

Far from there being "no reason" why a player would own a ZGS if they don't plan on doing Sara GWD, there are literally thousands of reasons why a player may want to own the ZGS. Any combat training on any creature in the game (save the wildy) is fair game.

There is no reason to use a ZGS in any kind of combat training, because a whip and a defender or a saradomin sword are far better options.

If we aren't going for the best, I can argue that a bronze dagger is a really usefull weapon because you can kill any monster with it. That doesn't mean that the bronze dagger is powerfull, it only means I'm being a jerk by recommending a mediocre weapon when there are better alternatives.

You still don't get the situation we're talking about. Sara GS has decent enough stats to train against most creatures in the game, and the reason one may choose to use it would be to get the most out of the extra prayer and LP the special would give. There isn't any need to any of this, none of this is necessary, but it's an excellent way to recover health for free while training combat skills. The extra prayer is just a very nice bonus to use while training, further lengthening the time of each session, and reducing the need to bank at all.

Like you said, none of that is necessary. You can both train faster with another weapon, and recover more health using other special attacks or familiars. That in itself defeats the purpouse of having a SGS at lower-medium level.

You can't argue with "fun-factor" because that is entirely subject to opinion, and you can't say that the small gimmick of recovering prayer is worth 34 million coins out of the wallet of a low-med player, because again, there are better and cheaper alternatives.

Relative worth is defined by your values, if you value experience over money then they a certain one may be worth it to you, or may not be. Needless to say that's a personal decision. I never talked about "accuracy" or "claimed" anything. Where you referring to someone else, or what did you mean?

Obviously you can't argue with opinion. But I'm not, I'm arguing with the fact that there are better training weapons, and economic alternatives to the special attacks. Of course you can still think a godsword is a better weapon besides all that, but you're solely relying on the "cool-factor", or the "fun-factor", because the numbers say otherwise.

And yeah, I was talking about a guy a couple of pages back.

You should never need a Godsword in any situation ever. However there are tons, and tons of situations where they are useful, and fit the bill nicely. The special attacks make some basic leveling easier, and can make grinding that much more painless. Your values are your own, and at higher levels in RS the Godswords should become obsolete. It's probably fair to assume you've hit this point eh?

Again, there are better weapons to make "basic leveling easier". But "making grinding that much more painless" really doesn't apply because you'll spend more time grinding due to the lower damage output of the godsword, not to speak about the money you'll have to grind to buy them in the first place.

I've hit the point where godswords were obsolete back when they were released. I was a low-med level player, and there was no use in them for me. Now that I am a high level player, there is still no use in them for me.

Sure, they are pretty and have "unique" specials, but I'll recommend a whip or a sarasword over them to a friend, any time.

crossed_body.png

The godsword is not considered useless because of its stats (it's a big part, but not all) but also because of its cost. For example the dragon scimitar or the whip may be superior to the rapier in risky/costly situations (pvp, cannoning dagganoths). Similarly the obsidian shield is not useless because you can use it instead of the dfs and not risk a chaotic (@ DKS).

The godsword is never useful as a cheap alternative because it's not cheaper than the whip and has higher requirements (in attack). It's true that a low-defence pure has no access to defenders, which makes the whip worse on very high defence. However I don't think low defence pures fight high defence accounts or monsters (high defence = boss, mithril dragon) very often (might be wrong of course).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The godsword is not considered useless because of its stats (it's a big part, but not all) but also because of its cost. For example the dragon scimitar or the whip may be superior to the rapier in risky/costly situations (pvp, cannoning dagganoths). Similarly the obsidian shield is not useless because you can use it instead of the dfs and not risk a chaotic (@ DKS).

The godsword is never useful as a cheap alternative because it's not cheaper than the whip and has higher requirements (in attack). It's true that a low-defence pure has no access to defenders, which makes the whip worse on very high defence. However I don't think low defence pures fight high defence accounts or monsters (high defence = boss, mithril dragon) very often (might be wrong of course).

The costs to get an EEE are higher than those for any godsword - by far. That's why I still like to get a godsword for slayer (saradomin).. The healing + prayer regen is better than every other item.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Not sure if this has been stated, only read the first 4 pages, but the only reason i have seen so far for people to use a gs is low to mid level bossing where you need the accuracy. In my honest opinion if you only have the bare minimum levels to be wielding a gs, then you certainly should not be bossing. At those levels it much easier to make money else where and train up with a whip. Then by that time you wont need a gs and will be using chaotics.

So gs are pretty much useless, except maybe for people who are level 90 and like getting maybe 1 solo kill. To me that's not fun, but to the next guy maybe it is. Either way imo they are just not good weapons

In other words: We got a ban hammer in varrock mines. It's jackin yo [censor] bots, slappin yo macros up, tryna ban em, so ya'll need to hide yo scripts, hide yo clicks, and hide yo logs cause they bannin errbody up in here.

8.jpg

The costs to get an EEE are higher than those for any godsword - by far. That's why I still like to get a godsword for slayer (saradomin).. The healing + prayer regen is better than every other item.

A regular EE is almost just as good and also very cheap.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I would say that you get much more if you are getting an EEE - extremes, for one, and a perfect lantern for two, and then a no-risk great healing weapon which serves as an overload timer for three. It's not like you're getting extremes with every sgs you buy, after sgs you still want those.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I would say that you get much more if you are getting an EEE - extremes, for one, and a perfect lantern for two, and then a no-risk great healing weapon which serves as an overload timer for three. It's not like you're getting extremes with every sgs you buy, after sgs you still want those.

But an SGS you can use while gaining money for other things. And in the end you can sell the sgs. - For maybe a small loss, but that loss is neglicable to the money you'll spent on getting everythign for EEE.

@EE being almost as good: true, and I myself am still in strong doubt to get it.. - However SGS DOES triumph the EE quite a bit.. (often while swapping to ee, activating spec - swapping back to cr I loose a turn at which I fought with ee), sgs does both dmg + heal + give pray!

BTW:

don't you guys agree that this is a design flaw in runescape? - There can only be "1" item the best, I think it would've been much more fun if you could have 10-20 different items when doing bosses.. All which are equally good (and actually best if combined together) and the "best" depends on prefered playstyle..

IE: you have the beserker who goes with a 2h to do as much dmg as possible in the shortest time.. Then a "tank" who stands there taking the main hits of the boss (maybe add a "taunt" spell?).. A healer in guthans + unicorn (+ eee) who (while on lunars) gives the tank the neccessary health & vengeance during the fight, and keeps the minions away (minions should have low hp/def but high dmg, and a relatively short respawn time compared to the boss). And a mage (on ancients?) who keeps the boss binded/debuffed.

I really think if those things were actually better incorporated, and bosses were build to be beaten best by such teams runescapes monster hunting would get a third dimension.

Instead of being "1 off the same".. Where everyone if the team looks like twins & the whole combat becomes very generic!

Then they came for me

But an SGS you can use while gaining money for other things. And in the end you can sell the sgs. - For maybe a small loss, but that loss is neglicable to the money you'll spent on getting everythign for EEE.

What does that have to do with anything? You either spend whatever the millions are for sgs, or you spend it on 87 herblore and get EEE. You either end up with a permanent and powerful combat boost or with a riskable, less powerful combat boost.

What does that have to do with anything? You either spend whatever the millions are for sgs, or you spend it on 87 herblore and get EEE. You either end up with a permanent and powerful combat boost or with a riskable, less powerful combat boost.

Getting herblore to that lvl requires 3-4 times the money for an sgs!

During the time you get the money for herblore (which is only 1 of the stats you have to gain) you can use the SGS to aid you while getting money.

Then they came for me

92 lvl for seers elite. 86 + stew. 86th level is ~3.6m exp. 1xp = ~22 hp. 3.6*22 = ~80m ... what was the price of SGS again ?

30m? - Well I'm 100% not sure, but that's the price I have said in my mind for it.. (I think it's worth 30m, and once it is that price or lower I'd buy it).. But uhm, 6 lvl stewing, isn't that a bit too much? - It would take like 300 tries?

Then they came for me

92 lvl for seers elite. 86 + stew. 86th level is ~3.6m exp. 1xp = ~22 hp. 3.6*22 = ~80m ... what was the price of SGS again ?

yeah, cause you don't also get all those total levels and the ability to use extreme potions too!

The Saradomin godsword is around 34m now, and that will get you between 1m and 1.5m herblore xp (as much as 2m if you are cheap, but let's say you are not). You need 4m xp to get EEE, and other stats, true. Thing is, even though herblore is more expensive, you want to get it sgs or no sgs. If we are looking at the price for eee+extremes versus sgs + extremes, eee is a lot cheaper. Hence why the costs of herblore are actually irrelevant to sgs vs. eee. You don't pay to get eee, you pay to get extremes, and that's independant.

Also the sgs doesn't actually help you get money (idk where you would use it, not god wars, not dks (risk), not frosts, perhaps tds, but bgs would work equally well really, certainly not skilling). Also, 81 herblore helps you get money more (@ frosts with superantifires and only costs about as much as sgs starting at level 65-70ish).

Also would like to point out that you can easily make money on the way to 86 herblore, it takes more time and dedication but lots of people do it through cleaning herbs and making unf pots using that dungoneering scroll.

In fact, last I heard you could make million upon millions doing it.

I mean, the only excuse for SGS is laziness, getting EEE pays for itself through the use of extremes, and is a permanent boost that is cheaper in the long run. Keeping SGS means that you are just holding yourself back relative to how you could be preforming with EEE.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

The Saradomin godsword is around 34m now, and that will get you between 1m and 1.5m herblore xp (as much as 2m if you are cheap, but let's say you are not). You need 4m xp to get EEE, and other stats, true. Thing is, even though herblore is more expensive, you want to get it sgs or no sgs. If we are looking at the price for eee+extremes versus sgs + extremes, eee is a lot cheaper. Hence why the costs of herblore are actually irrelevant to sgs vs. eee. You don't pay to get eee, you pay to get extremes, and that's independant.

Also the sgs doesn't actually help you get money (idk where you would use it, not god wars, not dks (risk), not frosts, perhaps tds, but bgs would work equally well really, certainly not skilling). Also, 81 herblore helps you get money more (@ frosts with superantifires and only costs about as much as sgs starting at level 65-70ish).

Uhm sgs helps for slayer.. Many people (who I speak ingame) have slayer as major money-maker.

Boss hunting is now useless without 96+ herblore and shoudln't be considered a viable method for the masses - Only the elite few will be succesfull at boss hunting nowadays.

Then they came for me

Uhm sgs helps for slayer.. Many people (who I speak ingame) have slayer as major money-maker.

Boss hunting is now useless without 96+ herblore and shoudln't be considered a viable method for the masses - Only the elite few will be succesfull at boss hunting nowadays.

I have 16m slayer exp and I never needed a SGS in order not to bank/prolong my trip, even at lower levels. SGS really isn't needed, and is slowing down slayer exp per hour (which means less money per hour).

A bunyip is cheaper, and far more effective.

crossed_body.png

I have 16m slayer exp and I never needed a SGS in order not to bank/prolong my trip, even at lower levels. SGS really isn't needed, and is slowing down slayer exp per hour (which means less money per hour).

sgs provides prayer.... Which makes trips more relaxing (no need to manage prayer potions and decide what amount you actually need).

Then they came for me

First thing, you forget +5 stews and the fact that tds are still very good without overloads (provided you have a unicorn). Many people bosshunt and tds are better money than slayer even at 120 combat.

Sgs also slows down slayer & doesn't cover all the ppots you need on most tasks (2 specs/5 mins @ 10 points per spec).

Tds are definately not good money without a steel titan now and with claws so low.

Sgs doesn't have any real uses unless you are below 68 summoning.

Bgs is the most useful gs, but then 6 man corp is terrible money in the first place compared to 3 man swh.

Um no, a steel titan is far more effective. And with a titan the healing from SGS is very nice, as SS flashing is quite annoying and not always possible. Anyways these days if you don't have 1 billion gold yet you're a noob so you might as well drop 34M on a situational item.

Um no, a steel titan is far more effective. And with a titan the healing from SGS is very nice, as SS flashing is quite annoying and not always possible. Anyways these days if you don't have 1 billion gold yet you're a noob so you might as well drop 34M on a situational item.

And an EEE is more effective than a SGS at healing. You can even have a steel titan if you want to.

crossed_body.png