Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex Limited receives growth investment from new investors

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Squisher_33
[ Display Name History ]

Squisher_33

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
yay, more money straight into graphics, server speed, and more developers for better and more frequent content

should bring in mroe players, wont be long before we see 300k on at a time
Posted Image

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
Wait, Jagex has more than one award winning game?

8f14270694.jpg

Capt_Davy
[ Display Name History ]

Capt_Davy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • RSN:Capt Davy

yay, more money straight into graphics, server speed, and more developers for better and more frequent content

should bring in mroe players, wont be long before we see 300k on at a time

speedier servers/more worlds? Less lag can only be a good thing.

I would honestly like to see some of the more pointless graphical projects be put aside and more developers put on the more meaningful content updates (master/grandmaster quests, smithing update, other skills that could use some revitalizing like farming, fixing bugs in a speedier time such as the duel arena staking bugs, etc).

Of course we'll have to see what actually comes out of it, until then, I'll be pessimistically hopeful.
Posted Image Posted Image

blacksimon
[ Display Name History ]

blacksimon

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 694 posts
What this means:

Jagex as a whole did not have enough money to invest in new content, therefor Jagex is working on some EPIC game.

Better stability of Jagex's servers and thier internet connection.

What's really happening:

We have all been having game crashes and disconnects, for the first time since 2001.

RWT and bots are rampant again.

Interest in Runescape has dropped significantly since 2007 and is continuing to do so among Internet users (meaning less new users)

Less new users means updates will have to be aimed at higher levels.

This means more end game content.

Which means weapons that put the rapier, and armour that puts torva to shame.

Meaning a game no one will ever want to play.

and then BOOM, stellar dawn!

??????

Profit! (for jagex)
Posted Image

gspbeetle
[ Display Name History ]

gspbeetle

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  • RSN:ChenGMT
  • RSN2:son of 911
  • Clan:RuneHK
Why they dont issue and sell shares to us?
On second thoughts, Jagex is too shady to go public.

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

As long as nothing is f'ed up, I have no problem with this.

The question I pose to you is how in the world will things not get f'ed up by this?

Thats what I'm waiting to find out.

Why they dont issue and sell shares to us?

Manipulation clans would buy it all.

yuriqiu
[ Display Name History ]

yuriqiu

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • RSN:Yuriqiu
Good move by Jagex tbh. More investors = more capital = more room to expand. From a business perspective it is a nice step forward.

Selling out isn't necessarily a bad thing, the last time Jagex sold out was when RS was advertised to the Miniclip community, look at how many new users started off that way. Old school players might not like the Miniclip move to even this day but it is undeniable that Jagex would not have expanded to the company it is today without that step.

EDIT: Would be nice if Jagex actually goes public and starts selling shares, I would certainly pick up a few (:
Posted Image

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:lox
Hopefully Jagex will keep the direction they're heading in at the moment (getting closer with the community). I'd hate if 2007 happened all over again.

iiLy
[ Display Name History ]

iiLy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 120 posts

Many people don't seem to understand what an investor actually is. These companies aren't going to get a say in what goes into the game, and frankly, I doubt they even give a [cabbage]. As long as they get what they put into it plus interest back, the game could go to hell for all they care.

That is plain wrong, when a company is first started the owner(s) own 100% of the shares. If their share drops below 50% then the stockholders take control of the company. Think on it, a share is a piece of the company, if you don't own the majority of the company then you don't have control of the company.

This is a fact btw
Posted Image

Badgers
[ Display Name History ]

Badgers

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 57 posts
This isn't selling out and it is completely normal for a business.

you guys are worse than the pkers now

Aneron
[ Display Name History ]

Aneron

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • RSN:Aneron
  • Clan:DGS
what could the jagex corporation be thinking, giving investors influence in their company in exchange for large sums of money

gspbeetle
[ Display Name History ]

gspbeetle

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  • RSN:ChenGMT
  • RSN2:son of 911
  • Clan:RuneHK

what could the jagex corporation be thinking, giving investors influence in their company in exchange for large sums of money

The opposite is true as well, they need that large sums of money to gain influence.
Think about it, why some failed mmo launched by Sony or EA can get media attention, while RS and the upcoming stellar dawn is largely ignored by game magazines?

me
[ Display Name History ]

me

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • RSN:me

Andrew is much more involved in the higher end stuff at the moment, coming up with new projects and technologies for the company. He still has an involvement in Runescape but not as big as it used to be. Paul still very much works on Runescape although he prefers a much less "control" based position at the company. Ian I believe is currently doing the graphics for Stellar Dawn.

According to the Official credits Andrew is Jagex's Lead Developer, Paul is a RuneScape Content Developer, and Ian is a Stellar Dawn Content Developer. Andrew works across most/all of Jagex's projects, probably mostly on the technical side.
Posted Image
Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

stan18
[ Display Name History ]

stan18

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,922 posts

http://www.develop-online.net/news/36967/Jagex-announces-surprise-investment-round
Here's a 2nd article that reveals that Jagex had gotten 4 new board of directors, all from some random invest firm who knows nothing about RuneScape. If I keep down this slipptery slope, next thing Anrew will quit and the Gowers will no longer be a part of RS at all....

I hope you realize the irony of your statement

hint:you used a slippery slope

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RSN:Dark Dude

Andrew is much more involved in the higher end stuff at the moment, coming up with new projects and technologies for the company. He still has an involvement in Runescape but not as big as it used to be. Paul still very much works on Runescape although he prefers a much less "control" based position at the company. Ian I believe is currently doing the graphics for Stellar Dawn.

According to the Official credits Andrew is Jagex's Lead Developer, Paul is a RuneScape Content Developer, and Ian is a Stellar Dawn Content Developer. Andrew works across most/all of Jagex's projects, probably mostly on the technical side.

Which is pretty much what I said :) although was unsure on exactly what Ian was doing on Stellar Dawn, and Ian's Wife is a content developer for RS too, so very much a Jagex family lol.

brunokiller
[ Display Name History ]

brunokiller

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts
  • RSN:Mej
  • RSN2:Iures
Why would that be a bad thing? It's not in investor's interests to destroy a company right? Jagex seems like a promising company, they are probably going to have a huge success with stellardawn or something else. I can't see them closing down rs any time soon.

All_Is_Great
[ Display Name History ]

All_Is_Great

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,498 posts

I'd just like to say that "I called it" ...

:rolleyes:

You called what exactly?

Staurolite.png

Sunli
[ Display Name History ]

Sunli

The Chill-Pill Nurse

• Members
  • 13,466 posts
  • RSN:Sunli
  • RSN2:Rejna
  • RSN '07:Sunli
  • Clan:Council Of Elders
Ok, so Andrew and Paul have moved out from the garage with their MUD and has since then developed to this gigantic business we see today.

What I'd like to know is; how much do these new investors influence whats happening in the game today? Because, frankly, I'm not sure I like what I'm seing.

The game is moving away, faster and faster, from what I always considered Runescape to be; friendly, community-based and a place for all ages to meet plus the option for us anti-socials to skill alone of whack monsters by our selfs.

Today, it's all about events, PvP killing, Teaming bosses, mini-games where you need a team to be in (not everyone like to team!) and so on.

I do not like it one bit.

rejna.png

- "I am willing to die...I mean try" - Jewelfire (Want to go bossing?)
-"we tried, we cried and we died!" - Limparse (What happens to old farts and tarts on monster-hunts)
- "...and we found out that there are as many ways to get to warriors guild
...as there are elders trying to get there" - Lysi
*snods agely* sorry... *nods sagely* - Brammy

-"Equality is being treated the SAME as everyone else, not having special treatment and unique things added in to everything." - Sy_Accursed

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze

Today, it's all about events, PvP killing, Teaming bosses, mini-games where you need a team to be in (not everyone like to team!) and so on.

i have observed the opposite - until dungeoneering and nex, everything in runescape was a solo effort, and using the GE made being a runescape hermit completely possible.

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

i have observed the opposite - until dungeoneering and nex, everything in runescape was a solo effort, and using the GE made being a runescape hermit completely possible.

Hasn't been a solo possible game since godwars part I.
Some of us just linger because we can kind of see a small glimpse of the old game and don't care about runescape gp.
RS as a community is slowly morphing into WOW which is nothing but a bunch of ass-hats. WoW = good game, bad players.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users