I want your quotes for an article i'm writing.

das

I would love people who are in clans to comment on the following dev blogs.

Clan Camps

http://devblog.runescape.com/view_post.ws?post_id=115&page=1

Clan Logos

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/new-clan-developer-blog-and-logo-winners

Think they are awesome? glad jagex is trying? think are the worst things ever seen and pathetic? somewhere in between? sound off and give me some quotes for a times article pretty please.

If your profile doesn't state your clan/or sig - please say it :P

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I think the new commitment towards clan is a very good thing, however Jagex has failed me before, so it will be very interesting to see how they are going to work things out. Personally I'd like to see this clan system they have been talking about, that is a update I would be looking forward to. Clan community events like cups and competitions are more for the veteran players attending clans, not the casual, like I am. These updates might be good for the community, but for myself they mean nothing and I'm not particularly happy when a such update or event is released. But in the end I think Jagex is going to make something out of this, at least the ideas aren't completely biased.

Clanless, but I am in a so to say personal clan chat. And I would love game mechanic changes that would bond us more together or even make us run a "proper" clan.

(PS. Clan Camps look like a giant major fail. Co za asy!)

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

I think the main problem is that, as far as I can tell, all of their 'highscores' / 'ratings' will only have to do with this 'rated clan wars' thing they're planning on. There are ten years of RuneScape clanning history and it's going to be extremely difficult for them to account for that. Which accounts they associate current clan names with will be crucial, and even more so to past clans. They should be very careful, and contact current RSC/TIP.IT/long term RSB clan leaders to ask what accounts their clan's name should be associated to, and on release of the update, it should already be set. RSB clans come second, except for the wellknown ones, because they tend to be small and short-lived. Historical and closed clan names should be permanently withheld or given to any remaining leadership that can be found.

They need to be very careful how this new activity is crafted because they will be conditioning the newer clans to fight in the certain way that the 'rated clan wars' will work. Not to mention, there are typically always methods to get around the way that Jagex initially develops content to work - players will use any method that they can think of to get to the top, and if clans are to be rated by this new system, then this will be no different. Of great concern would be the 'mass-recruit', where one of these new 'clans' springing up would literally go around and ask just anyone into their ingame clan - thus being able to quickly recruit thousands of members. While it would be great to see clanning so popular, I think it's safe to say that clans of that magnitude would be problematic, not only for ingame activities but also on a technical level.

Jagex needs to entrust users with the security of their own accounts. Allow URLs, screenshots, and clan banners, and encourage off-site clan creation. Come to an agreement with IPB or vBulletin and arrange for proper, secure forum software. Improve the chat box ingame - word wrap would be a great start. Rename 'clan chat' to 'group chat' or 'chat channel'- there's a huge difference between a clan and a clan chat, and you have been confusing people for years about what it means to "join a clan".

And most of all, get every Jmod out there to apply to an RSC/TIP.IT clan on their private accounts. You guys do play your own game enough to meet the requirements... right? You can't pretend to know what clanning is like unless you have extensive experience in the big leagues. Sorry, your experience poking around RSB clans is not adequate.

Proud Gladiator

gladzorgrespected.png

Kind of looks to me like Jagex is trying to control clanning. Personally they look a good idea but they look like there trying to bring everything to runescape to keep it in the game. Whilst it should be done how it is currently. + i think it will cause problems with multi teaming (WG)

2880_s.gif

[spoiler=Clans]Current Events Leader of Tal Shiar Alliance

Current Raid Leader of Wilderness Guardians

Current Old School Power Ranger of Team Power Rangers

Current Member of Clan Europe

Ex Member of Team Dark Legacy (R.I.P)

Ex Paladin of Old Age Militos Deci

Ex Leader of New Age Militos Deci

Ex Early Veteran of Pk Masters (R.I.P)

Although it looks nice, personally I don't see the use in this kind of update.

Any well-organised clan or group of friends wouldn't need such places, as word-of-mouth and a good atmosphere suffice for recruiting, so it seems to me it would be a place for people to spam-recruit the lesser clans, which usually involves drama.

If Jagex were to offer some sort of voice chat, that would be something. It'd make dungeoneering a lot more fun too, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

(I own a private clan and we generally use Skype to coordinate events)

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Speaking as someone who always joins a friendly talking clan, a few good clan updates might really help. However, that's mainly to do with things like voice chat, the friends list, and expansion of more people allowed rather than something like the clan camp.

(Merch Gwyar's CC)

I'm not an efficienado.

Sounds silly so far but who knows I could be way off. I think Jagex could do a better job supporting the existing clan structure rather than trying to make stuff up as they go along.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

I agree with Quikdrawjoe. Over the years clans have developed their own infrastructure and systems of working things. If more could be built on that, it'd be more beneficial. Personally I don't think we'll care too much about the clan camps. As long as no one else takes our name, then it'll be fine. Being honest, I just think it's one of those features that RSB clans would thrive in. Not exactly something for clans that are based off-site.

As always though, I'm glad to see Jagex making effort in the clan part of things.

j0xPu5R.png

Clan logo's seem to be a waste of time unless you can upload your own ones, there won't be enough for all the clans in rs to have their own sort of version. Hence they would be pointless as they are suppose to make your clan "unique".

The clan camp was a decent idea although i think its more based towards rsb clan's, can't really judge it though as i don't have enough information about it.

Proud Warlord of Dragonwood

If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how? ~ Joan Baez

Rest in Peace 3xtermination

Tipitsignature.gif

I know it's been said before, but they should stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. There are a lot more things they can do out there than this kind of stuff, lol.

kuru72siggy3.png

Retired on: June 30, 2010

I would like a system for clan leaders to use the ingame mail box to send messages to their members about upcoming events/any information they need to send. Would keep those that do join a clan active in their clan instead of mysteriously leaving with no warning or word of it.

Overall, I see huge benefits for RSB clans, but not so many for off-site clans.

ultibearr.png

blooper.png

It all seems unnecessary to me. However, it is good to see them focusing a little more on clans, they need to know what we want and don't want. By the looks of those two blogs, I find nothing useful, and the most interesting part of it all was the new tree designs that came with the clan camp lol.

crsigl.png

§ Crimson Raiders Veteran | skull_crossbones.gif Ex Downfall Warlord | bcouncil.gif Ex Team Vendetta Council

There's just too many diff types of clans and I feel as though this is more targeted towards skilling/mini game/pvm/safe warring type of clans.

Which is fine because the standards and expectations of pvp warring clans goes beyond what you can find at a silly clan recruitment camp. Though it'd be nice to help players cross the bridge into exploring outside of RSOF/In game to find clans.

The whole clan logo thing is a nice concept but it's not looking promising. I think what we'll see is the same damn logos in different colors everywhere, for not only just clans but CC's or groups of friends who want to be "cool" or something like that.

They need to make it more broad in the designs you can choose from/make, in another game they also give clans logos and they have 3 diff layers with a bunch of designs, you'd assemble a design for each layer and the final product would be the clan logo. This offers a lot more variety and personalization in the logos. (Like the last layer could be clan initials)

I also like what Douglas said about renaming clan chat to group chat, because sometimes you'll ask people what clan they are in and they will reply with a persons RSN or they will say join my clan and it's no where near what the clan community should be known as really..

6590ew.jpg

Many people will bias their opinions on clan updates because of what happened in 2007 with the wilderness. To me, it made it seem as if Jagex wanted clans to be a Jagex-organised thing, rather than independent groups. Take a closer look at the clan wars arena, clan chat and team capes - 3 of the most productive clan-beneficial additions to the game. The two new upcoming additions don't hinder the clans' ways of life, they add generic and unique elements and options for us to enjoy. I'm all for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been said before, but they should stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. There are a lot more things they can do out there than this kind of stuff, lol.

It was broken. Why do you think people were driven to off-site areas, that projects like Runehead and Clantrackers spawned? Because they felt like doing something while downing a bag of cheese doodles? C'mon now. They spawned out of necessity and because Jagex was too behind on the times. They're making up for YEARS of a lack of attentiveness to player's needs in the clan world.

The long and short of it is they're going to be villified no matter what. To compete with what we already have made for ourselves, they would have to copy existing structures which. Imagine how that would go. "OMG U COPIED RUNEHEADZ. W2G JAGEX LOL" Or they can start from basics and cover the fundamental features while working to expand them, which is likely what they're going to do since they have no strong experience in matters like these to draw on...and then they're going to get bashed for not being perfect right from the start. Runehead wasn't perfect from the get-go and it still is far from it, but will people remember that? Nah.

This needs to happen. They need to show attention to the needs of their most active and vocal memberbase as company. And then they need to do the hardest thing of all: be consistent with it and don't let the ball drop.

I was one of the users who wanted Jagex to take these measures and I'm thrilled they're actually going through with it. I might not agree with all the steps they're taking right away (the ingame measures of it is kind of weird to me) but if they're dedicated to what these projects truly mean, they will change it and get it to where it needs to be. I've waited this long...I can wait a little longer. And god help them if they don't follow through, because it will close off any chance of closing the gap between off-site and RSOF for another generation's worth.

hzvjpwS.gif

It was broken. Why do you think people were driven to off-site areas, that projects like Runehead and Clantrackers spawned? Because they felt like doing something while downing a bag of cheese doodles? C'mon now. They spawned out of necessity and because Jagex was too behind on the times. They're making up for YEARS of a lack of attentiveness to player's needs in the clan world.

The long and short of it is they're going to be villified no matter what. To compete with what we already have made for ourselves, they would have to copy existing structures which. Imagine how that would go. "OMG U COPIED RUNEHEADZ. W2G JAGEX LOL" Or they can start from basics and cover the fundamental features while working to expand them, which is likely what they're going to do since they have no strong experience in matters like these to draw on...and then they're going to get bashed for not being perfect right from the start. Runehead wasn't perfect from the get-go and it still is far from it, but will people remember that? Nah.

This needs to happen. They need to show attention to the needs of their most active and vocal memberbase as company. And then they need to do the hardest thing of all: be consistent with it and don't let the ball drop.

I was one of the users who wanted Jagex to take these measures and I'm thrilled they're actually going through with it. I might not agree with all the steps they're taking right away (the ingame measures of it is kind of weird to me) but if they're dedicated to what these projects truly mean, they will change it and get it to where it needs to be. I've waited this long...I can wait a little longer. And god help them if they don't follow through, because it will close off any chance of closing the gap between off-site and RSOF for another generation's worth.

Then let me rephrase my post?

It will help RSB clans, and maybe a portion of RSC/Tip.it clans. Yes, it is cool and all, but for off-site clans, it'll be nothing more than another new thing to try out. 'Cause you know what, things like runehead and clantracker already exist. Maybe we can use it to gain publicity and let the RSB clans know more of our existence, but it can never play the same role as runehead did, unless runehead somehow shuts down in the future. If you really want to help the clan world, why not find a way to decrease the use of summoning in p2p pvp?

Honestly, I'm not trying to bash on Jagex or anything, but there's other things they can do than this. I'm not going to lie, this thing is actually cool to me, but if you're talking about how much it's going to help us, then it's a different story. If you're excited for it, cool. Not saying this thing is completely useless anyways. Ciao.

kuru72siggy3.png

Any efforts of Jagex getting out of the clan world and embracing OUR techniques is going to help us in the long run and saying "Well we already have these things lol!" is severely short-sighted. If you're talking about short term benefit? No, you're right, we as off-site clans are not going to see much of that. But like I said...I'm in it for the long haul.

But some of the things we're getting out of this, to put it into perspective? A stable memberlist, for one. How often does Runehead go down? Like once every week or so. How often does runescape.com go down....? I can't even remember the last time it happened. An extra layer of security, though a very thin one, is also something else we're going to reap with this. Although accounts get compromised, in-game communication is, for the most part, a good way of verifying account identity or passing along information. Did your forums just get ddosed? Well then you can have a FREE backup now, provided by Runescape.com.

There. Those are three reasons that help us modern folk tremendously, as they directly address some of the frustrations we experience today as off-site clans.

hzvjpwS.gif

Although that may sound inspiring, not everyone has the same mentality. Maybe you can wait forever if it means getting that "long-run benefit", but not everyone can. I do agree with the benefits of this update, and I really appreciate the fact that Jagex is doing something. I'm just saying that there are better things out there that they can do to help our clan world. Why do we need to wait longer when there are things they can do that would help us NOW. When the wilderness was removed, did everyone wait until the day it came back? No lol. Don't forget this is a game; it doesn't work the same way as real life does.

kuru72siggy3.png

Although that may sound inspiring, not everyone has the same mentality. Maybe you can wait forever if it means getting that "long-run benefit", but not everyone can. I do agree with the benefits of this update, and I really appreciate the fact that Jagex is doing something. I'm just saying that there are better things out there that they can do to help our clan world. Why do we need to wait longer when there are things they can do that would help us NOW. When the wilderness was removed, did everyone wait until the day it came back? No lol. Don't forget this is a game; it doesn't work the same way as real life does.

what could they do now instead of what they are doing lol

6590ew.jpg

I'm just saying that there are better things out there that they can do to help our clan world.

Like what?

They can't handle DDoSing--they can provide us an alternative, like they already are with private boards. (I'd like to see anyone successfully get away with DDoSing them.) They can't force people not to be absolutely, infinitely asinine and having dumb, easily guessed recoveries/passwords/safe questions--but they can offer incentives to register emails and take extra security measures, which they are.

The people working on these current updates are from all different teams. There is no saying that this Clan Camp project and all it entails is preventing them from doing other things consecutively.

hzvjpwS.gif

Didn't even read all the replies.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this update. Jagex has had unusually frequent quality updates lately and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. They'll find a way to [bleep] this up I'm sure.

"The chief duty of the government is to keep the peace and stand out of the sunshine of the people." - James A. Garfield

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." -Thomas Sowell

"Profits are evidence of the creation of social value, not deductions from the sum of the common good." - Kevin D. Williamson

TrueBeaversafe.gif

• 1 month later...