Limewire sued for $75 Trillion

The Observer

Wait a minute. They said there were 11,000 songs proved to be infringed material. Assuming the want to be compensated for $1/song, that would mean each song would have had to be downloaded a LOT of times.

How did they get the evaluation of 75t, exactly?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, although their claim is preposterously high in my opinion, that doesn't justify the "theft" of their material.

It's not even theft.

Tell that to copyright laws.

Your logic implies that things like plagiarism aren't theft either, yet they are.

piracy-is-not-theft.jpg

all the people who say it's theft actually buy their music!

HAH. BUYING MUSIC. THE THOUGHT.

in plain terms, they're just being butthurt and should chill.

discoshazamsig-1.png

Still, although their claim is preposterously high in my opinion, that doesn't justify the "theft" of their material.

It's not even theft.

Tell that to copyright laws.

Your logic implies that things like plagiarism aren't theft either, yet they are.

piracy-is-not-theft.jpg

all the people who say it's theft actually buy their music!

HAH. BUYING MUSIC. THE THOUGHT.

in plain terms, they're just being butthurt and should chill.

Piracy isn't a good term then, is it? In real life pirates don't make a copy.

Apparently each song was downloaded 6,818,181,818 times.

So every person on the face of the planet downloaded every song on that list, over 1000 times?

So every person on the face of the planet downloaded every song on that list, over 1000 times?

You didn't? I downloaded each of them about 5,000 times.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

holy [cabbage]. I haven't seen a post from you in ever, it's a ghost. :ohnoes: :blink:

holy [cabbage]. I haven't seen a post from you in ever, it's a ghost. :ohnoes: :blink:

Huh? Did I go somewhere?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Huh? Did I go somewhere?

I don't venture outside OT much anymore, I hear there are people that still play runescape out there. :-o

Haven't seen a post from you in quite awhile.

Huh? Did I go somewhere?

I don't venture outside OT much anymore, I hear there are people that still play runescape out there. :-o

Haven't seen a post from you in quite awhile.

I don't play Runescape anymore. Apparently my account was banned since I gave it to some kid 4 years ago. I never stopped posting though, I even posted in this thread around the time it was made.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Piracy rules :thumbup:

Quite a lot of people actually like piracy - south park for example love it!

Doesn't make it right.

Because Cartman hates hippies we can just shoot all the new age hippies too then?

South Park hates hippies, so it must be right to hate them?

Also it's not theft, it might be in some copyright laws but its not.

Yes it is theft. I don't understand what you're trying to say with that second bit. Copyright laws aren't laws?

Why isn't it theft? Does that mean you believe plagiarism isn't theft either?

If I hadn't pirated the music I own I wouldn't have bought it either because I don't have the money and would never be willing to spend more than 10£ a month on music. Therefore I didn't even theoretcally steal anything or such because I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't.

So if I steal some nice expensive clothes from a store and decide they are comfy and I like the brand, then buy some clothes of the same brand in the same store, I didn't "theoretically" steal? =D>

It's actually made me find out about more bands and exposed a lot of more alternative groups to a broader audience. After more people hearing about them, mainly from pirating, they get gigs at festivals etc which is good money and eventually can gig for themselves.

You don't need to pirate music to become aware of what's out there. Before piracy bands got gigs just fine, and to claim they are in any way dependant on them is just rediculous.

So basically after all that, I'd say if you do it right it costs £5k to write a song, including writing it.

I would asume you don't mean solely writing it, but also getting it out there? In that case, proof?

If it really was so cheap, including advertising and the publishing of CD's, why do so many bands lack the money and ability to do so without a label?

This is the kind of mentality that has people getting sued for 75 trillion dollars. Do you live in 1960, or in 2011?

It's not really worth it getting into detail on your little argument about the clothes shop, it's just irrelevant and preposterous. This isn't about thieving, this is about sharing, I suggest you do pick up a dictionnary if you don't understand the difference. The internet is a place to communicate and exchange information, and socialize with other people. Exchanging information isn't breaking some stupid, selfish laws, it's before anything a human necessity, unless you're an anti-social caveman.

Sharing music isn't new to the internet. People have been giving away their old CD's to friends for ages, that's also theoretically illegal. Yeah, many small things out there are theoretically illegal. Sharing video games with friends is illegal, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is also theoretically illegal. And let's not get to the greater details such as smoking cannabis or gay marriage. And yet many people out there do those kinds of things. Just because there is a law, doesn't mean it makes sense. Many laws out there are corrupted by corporations, politics, traditions, religion. Sometimes, not even the police cares that you do such things - smart people know that we don't live in a courthouse, we live in reality. We are not machines following orders, we are humans who need to communicate and socialize.

You speak of laws, but do you even know your rights? If you have enough dignity to understand that corporation's rights end where yours begin, you should know they're stepping on your rights much more than you're stepping on theirs. They have been turning every bit of your freedom and pleasure into merchandise for more than a century. If you can't see that, I'd assume you're either naïve or just down right submissive. Do you have any dignity and will to live a free life, instead of living crushed under corporate propaganda, defending the rights of some megalomaniac moron who makes more money every month than you make in your entire life wether or not people download their music? Even assuming you prefer to live chained to massive corporations, do you think they need you to defend themselves? They wouldn't be suing people for 75 trillion if they didn't have most of the people believing that they're gods and unable to stand up for themselves. They don't care about you. Maybe you should think about your rights first and considering theirs after, before coming here and bashing on people who are defending their sharing rights. There's a clock counting your days down and when it's all over it's not like downloading a stupid song is gonna have an impact on the world.

The RIAA, VEVO & company are a bunch of greedy bastards who need to be stopped. Five years ago, you could watch a video on Youtube without getting spammed with propaganda. Nowadays it's getting ridiculous. They invade our real life, and now they invade the little world of freedom we had here, spam propaganda everywhere and take down our sharing communities.

signaturemw.png

People have been giving away their old CD's to friends for ages, that's also theoretically illegal.

Erm... no it isn't, giving away a CD that you no longer listen to isn't illegal at all. Because you're not keeping the CD, just because you've used it doesn't mean you have to keep it. The CD itself is your property and you can do what you like with it, what isn't your property are the rights to the tracks on that CD, if you just give the CD away you can no longer listen to it, unless you made a copy of it, in which case you have broken the law by illegally distributing the songs on the CD, regardless of whether or not you made any money out of it. Basically, if you give something away, but retain a copy that was never paid for, you are breaking the law.

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

People have been giving away their old CD's to friends for ages, that's also theoretically illegal.

Erm... no it isn't, giving away a CD that you no longer listen to isn't illegal at all. Because you're not keeping the CD, just because you've used it doesn't mean you have to keep it. The CD itself is your property and you can do what you like with it, what isn't your property are the rights to the tracks on that CD, if you just give the CD away you can no longer listen to it, unless you made a copy of it, in which case you have broken the law by illegally distributing the songs on the CD, regardless of whether or not you made any money out of it. Basically, if you give something away, but retain a copy that was never paid for, you are breaking the law.

"All rights reserverd. Unauthorised copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting prohibited."

I'm pretty sure giving it away is covered by "lending".

16185_s.gif

More idiot lawyer math time!

6,250,000,000,000 - The number of CDs 75t could buy, assuming $12 a CD.

904 - The number of CDs per person that would be.

1.034 - The number of times greater 75t is compared to the world's yearly GDP.

12,077,295 - The number of M1 Abrams tanks 75t could buy.

208,333,333,333 - The number of starving African children you could feed for a dollar a day for a whole year.

12,605,042,016,807 - The number of months of RS membership 75t will buy you. This is over a trillion years.

7,894,736,842,105.26 - The number of hours it would take me to make 75t at my min. wage job. If I worked every hour of my life for the next 50 years, I would only make 1/15,020,427 of 75t.

"All rights reserverd. Unauthorised copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting prohibited."

Hardly; if I lend someone something it's implied that I want it back, if I give something away then I'm letting them keep it, I fail to see how these are the same thing.

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"

This is the kind of mentality that has people getting sued for 75 trillion dollars. Do you live in 1960, or in 2011?

It's not really worth it getting into detail on your little argument about the clothes shop, it's just irrelevant and preposterous. This isn't about thieving, this is about sharing, I suggest you do pick up a dictionnary if you don't understand the difference. The internet is a place to communicate and exchange information, and socialize with other people. Exchanging information isn't breaking some stupid, selfish laws, it's before anything a human necessity, unless you're an anti-social caveman.

Sharing music isn't new to the internet. People have been giving away their old CD's to friends for ages, that's also theoretically illegal. Yeah, many small things out there are theoretically illegal. Sharing video games with friends is illegal, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is also theoretically illegal. And let's not get to the greater details such as smoking cannabis or gay marriage. And yet many people out there do those kinds of things. Just because there is a law, doesn't mean it makes sense. Many laws out there are corrupted by corporations, politics, traditions, religion. Sometimes, not even the police cares that you do such things - smart people know that we don't live in a courthouse, we live in reality. We are not machines following orders, we are humans who need to communicate and socialize.

You speak of laws, but do you even know your rights? If you have enough dignity to understand that corporation's rights end where yours begin, you should know they're stepping on your rights much more than you're stepping on theirs. They have been turning every bit of your freedom and pleasure into merchandise for more than a century. If you can't see that, I'd assume you're either naïve or just down right submissive. Do you have any dignity and will to live a free life, instead of living crushed under corporate propaganda, defending the rights of some megalomaniac moron who makes more money every month than you make in your entire life wether or not people download their music? Even assuming you prefer to live chained to massive corporations, do you think they need you to defend themselves? They wouldn't be suing people for 75 trillion if they didn't have most of the people believing that they're gods and unable to stand up for themselves. They don't care about you. Maybe you should think about your rights first and considering theirs after, before coming here and bashing on people who are defending their sharing rights. There's a clock counting your days down and when it's all over it's not like downloading a stupid song is gonna have an impact on the world.

The RIAA, VEVO & company are a bunch of greedy bastards who need to be stopped. Five years ago, you could watch a video on Youtube without getting spammed with propaganda. Nowadays it's getting ridiculous. They invade our real life, and now they invade the little world of freedom we had here, spam propaganda everywhere and take down our sharing communities.

Do you believe in the legitimacy of patents?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Hardly; if I lend someone something it's implied that I want it back, if I give something away then I'm letting them keep it, I fail to see how these are the same thing.

If lending is illegal, it is because it stops the necessity of the person who is receiving it to buy it, and thus, lowering the sales.

Now, if you give it away, it's the same thing. To the people who [don't] get the product's money, lending and giving it away has the same effect. It stops a potential buyer from giving them money.

16185_s.gif

If lending is illegal, it is because it stops the necessity of the person who is receiving it to buy it, and thus, lowering the sales.

Now, if you give it away, it's the same thing. To the people who [don't] get the product's money, lending and giving it away has the same effect. It stops a potential buyer from giving them money.

Lending does yes, because that's essentially 2 people using 1 copy of the product. If the product is given away however, the product is still only being used by one person, while the person getting the money from the product may not necessarily be happy about this, it's not illegal

Piscis_Rex.png

Not directed at me, but...

Tech patents are the plague of progress and only make the life of the consumer worse. Earlier this year apple got (or filed for) a patent for the letters on a touchscreen phone popping up when you press them. Would you say it's fair that I have to suffer misspellings on my android just because apple implemented the concept first. How about the company suing jagex because they own the patent for text appearing above a characters head in game. Tech patents, especially software ones, are ridiculous.

Tech patents are the plague of progress and only make the life of the consumer worse. Earlier this year apple got (or filed for) a patent for the letters on a touchscreen phone popping up when you press them. Would you say it's fair that I have to suffer misspellings on my android just because apple implemented the concept first. How about the company suing jagex because they own the patent for text appearing above a characters head in game. Tech patents, especially software ones, are ridiculous.

Going on rediculous patents, how about patents on the human gnome, and patents on a myriad of things found in nature. I recall a few years ago a farmer went on the news because a company was suing him because traces of something they patented could be found in his crop, because the next farm over bought the pesticide and winds and rain blew small amounts of the pesticide over. I've also heard of people being sued over something patented that naturally occurs in the animals it's fed to.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Sorry for taking a while it's been some time I didn't check this thread.

Good in the domain of arts, where you don't want people making carbon copies of your ideas. Especially if you're a beginner artist and can easily get your stuff stolen without people noticing. Besides that, I agree with what the other guy replied to you. If companies are gonna use patents on everything they create, we're not going far. In science and technology more than in any other domain, if people can't base their work on that of others then they'll have a hard time progressing.

signaturemw.png

• 4 weeks later...

75 TRILLIONS???? (gimme some 'o that!)

It's rediculous, I agree but at the same time people who refuse to pay for music, games, etc... are, well with no words to say it gently, I'll use the word stupid.

If you think music should be free I think you should work for free.

I'm just sayin'

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

75 TRILLIONS???? (gimme some 'o that!)

It's rediculous, I agree but at the same time people who refuse to pay for music, games, etc... are, well with no words to say it gently, I'll use the word stupid.

If you think music should be free I think you should work for free.

I'm just sayin'

I wouldn't really use the word stupid seeing as they (we) are saving a lot of money and getting away with it.

But I get your point.

16185_s.gif